Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #31
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Where is this being held? The other half and I are looking at a move northside, would be great to get back into Jiu Jitsu (and doce pares as well if available). Bit rusty, but always had a ball doing it, found the doce pares helped with just chilling out as well...
Ipswich Ju Jitsu is at the PCYC on griffith rd easten heights. PH 32812547
Sensei is Mark Haseman. monday & wednesday 7.30 to 9.00. only $9.00 for a non member.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #32
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

awesome, cheers! ...will have to check it out once we hit our destination

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #33
roadrage77

I'd love to learn BJJ but the prospect of getting a staph infection is a major turn-off.
roadrage77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the possibility of getting staph or ringworm lies in the cleanliness of the place and the people and yourself.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #35
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beware the ringworm.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #36
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

Can someone advise, I am Currently at 7th Kyu (Ninjutsu).

Havent been back for 12 months what happens with my grading?
BA-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #37
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see why you would lose any grade
would probably tell the instructor that you have been off for a while so will be rusty but shouldn't take you long to get back into it
Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #38
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well a few months on and im still loving the sport of BJJ

working hard on all parts of my game and having SOME success here and there with getting submissions in free rolling and defending against alot of subs
Old 09-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #39
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did Karate for 9 years and got up to my 2nd Dan. Went off and did Okinawin kobudo for 3 years ( tradidtional karate weaponry). Both forms of martial arts were great.

I used to train 6 or 7 times a week and when i wasnt training i would be practising, reading or at a mates house doing it opr watching movies about it. Needless to say it was an obsession.

I gave up about 3 years ago, due to reloacting and the clubs failure, plus i got a left shoulder that dislocates at the drop of a hat. I miss it immensly and woukld like to get back into it one day.

Doesnt matter what style you choose, stick with it and listen to your instructors. They will asses you for grading when you are ready and it makes it all the sweeter when you get the prized Black Belt ( 0r equiv). I only acheived my provissional yellow grading in kobudo but i would challenge any one to beat me with the Tonfa!!!

Good luck with your training Champ!!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #40
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I did BJJ on an off for about a year at Sinosic Perosh http://www.spma.net.au/ for a bit. Recently started training Muay Thai at Bulldog Gym at Parramatta. Fantastic workout.

If you can get an invite into mma-tracker you'll find a tonne of bjj how to's/vids. Torrents for vids are your friend too if you do a search.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #41
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It still amazes me how often people throw around having a black belt in tkd or karate or any of those arts. Yet in bjj the average time taken is 10 years to go from white to black.

I got a stack of DVD rips from a mate last night. So looking forward to watching those over the next few weeks

Cheers
Brenden
Old 10-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #42
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
It still amazes me how often people throw around having a black belt in tkd or karate or any of those arts. Yet in bjj the average time taken is 10 years to go from white to black.

I got a stack of DVD rips from a mate last night. So looking forward to watching those over the next few weeks

Cheers
Brenden
I guess people "throw" around getting their black belt cause they are proud of the amount of work they have had to put in to acheive their goal. Whether it takes 1 year, 5 years or 30 years the acheievment is still the same.

I dont agree with 7th dans walking around with their ranking after 5 years of training but black is acheivable in 5 years if you are training daily.

If you can learn the 14 kata and last the 2 hours kumite with the senior ranked members of your club and utilise the skills you have learned in your training well then you are entitles to "throw" around your black belt title.

Im not sure what the teachings are for BJJ but as a martial art i would hope that tollerance, respect, acceptance and admiration for all of the martial arts is part of it. Therefore if a style sees fit to award there gradings differently then it should be accepted as so.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #43
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not down playing the other arts and the skill/dedication it takes to get a black belt

just how much longer bjj takes to get to that same rank given on average most people train the same amount per week etc

but then its a different type of system to the kata based styles
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #44
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
not down playing the other arts and the skill/dedication it takes to get a black belt

just how much longer bjj takes to get to that same rank given on average most people train the same amount per week etc

but then its a different type of system to the kata based styles
Sorry mate, i get fired up when other styles do the "oh your karate is weak, you should...."

I may have misinterpreted your "throw" statement.

I once had a student of mine leave the club i was affilliated with to go and do Muay Thia cause we were "weak" and taught him nothing.

He returned 2 years later with his mates to drop a challenge in my class with his "new found skill set" and highly acheived ranking. Needless to say his style is full contact and ours was not. I invited him to give it his best shot and dont hold back. He attempted the usuall thigh deadening kicks and elbow action they were taught, which were easily defended BUT where were the defensive techniques - non existant- he left dishearted, sore and embarrased.

The lesson learned from this story - for me - that the skills i learned allowed me to put in to practised what i learned in a practical manner and i was satisfied how my training stacked up. Each club is different and you need to choose what suits you. I know nothing of BJJ gradings but if it takes ten years to acheive your black and you are worthy of that grading then you deserve it.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #45
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could have worded my post better also, I wasn't dismissing the other arts by any means,

Every martial art has its place and pros and cons in various situations

Where I train they also teach Wing Chun and the defensive/stopping techniques they use kept stuffing my white belt sloppy take downs(we start from the knees in sparing)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #46
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

I'll soon be looking for a new Dojo in the Outer Northern Brisbane area, had a bit of kickboxing in the past looking to first of all get fit again then go in for something more. BJJ sems more practivcal, especially as I'm not a mosquito, but I'd like to use what I've got and expand upon that too get some Thai style kickboxing in there too, I'm dying to learn the elbow strikes mostly.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #47
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what part of outer northern brisbane are you talking?
I am at Narangba my self and travel to caboolture for my BJJ training
I would suggest an MMA type school given you want some variety etc

where your located really dictates where you can train on the north side
Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #48
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Ok I see what you're saying, well I don't know all too well yet how the suburbs relate to each other, but I'll be in north Strathpine.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #49
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from Strathpine they do BJJ at the bald hills and one of the other pcyc or halls there, its run by Garra BJJ at Kelvin Grove

I have heard Brothers At Arms in Duntroon St at Brendale is alright but they are fairly new apparently and not much on the net about them..

there is a place that does mostly boxing in at Struddys at Lawnton but they also do MMA but a Muai Thai guy I know said they are a bit cramped in their building etc and focus mostly on boxing

there is Fightcross at Geebung on Newman Rd I think it is they do alot of MMA and have alot of fighters in the local MMA stuff from what I was reading

so theres a few for you to look at
Old 15-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #50
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Did capoeira for about a year, some freestyle kickboxing and about a years worth of hapkido.

Was good times, kept me fit and learnt enough to have helped me out before haha.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #51
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been doing Muay Thai on and off for around 2 years now. I did Karate for a little while as a kid but I like the rawness of Muay Thai.

Once I lose a bit of weight I plan on trying some BJJ, but there isn’t too many options where I live.

Great to see there is so much interest in this!

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post