Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #31
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonMesh
hmm i've got my 45k service coming up 2000km ago. I've always taken my car to Wayne Phillis Ford in adelaide.
Now my car is out of warranty and i've ordered in new DBA slotted rotors and EBC greenstuff pads, also going to get some Mobil 1 oil too. Any ideas if the ford dealer will get ****y if i turn up for the service with my own parts mentioned? They have always given great service before.
Or do you guys recommend me going to somewhere like ultratune?
As long as the parts you supply are to the same spec as what Ford fit, most dealers are fine with it.
Don't bother trying the same with Ultratune, they don't allow it.
I'm another one due for a 60k service (or overdue in my case). Have been accumulating bits and pieces for a few months.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #32
~Spyne~

mmm, i'm also about 3,500km overdue for my 60k service.
waiting for next payday before booking it in :(
Old 13-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #33
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
Hahaha what a joke. Better off getting your struts reco'd or getting a set from a wrecked Focus.
There are Focus gas struts in ebay too.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #34
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#

As long as the parts you supply are to the same spec as what Ford fit, most dealers are fine with it.
Don't bother trying the same with Ultratune, they don't allow it.
I'm another one due for a 60k service (or overdue in my case). Have been accumulating bits and pieces for a few months.
Depends on the individual store. The one i go to have never had problems with me supplying parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord

There are Focus gas struts in ebay too.
Even better!
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #35
alky89

Quote:
In my personal experience this causes rotor warp
it shouldnt warp your rotors. my brakes see much harder abuse on the track and they are still fine. just make sure you drive around sensibly for at least 5 mins afterwards (closer to 10 or 15mins is preferable) and try to keep off the brakes as much as possible to let them cool down. that should reduce any risk or warping. oh and make sure your brakes have a bit of heat in them before you start wailing on them at 110kph.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #36
~Spyne~

Just had my 60,000km service at Eclipse Ford, Ballarat

Apart from the 'standard' service items, parts replaced were;
* durablend 5W30
* Gasket drain plug
* Filter primary
* Element fuel filter
* Filter air cleaner
* Washer solution

Cost breakdown;
* Labour = $194.75
* Consumables = $54.34
* Parts = $114.35
* Misc = $16.50
* GST = $37.99
TOTAL = $417.93

And incase anyone was wondering, to have the floor carpet replaced will cost $628.11 for the part PLUS $451 labour!!!!
Old 26-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #37
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I worry sometimes about the ford dealer network. The valvoline site actually recommends SYNPOWER ENV C2 5W-30 oil, not the one they used in your TDCI.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #38
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Hahaha what a joke. Better off getting your struts reco'd or getting a set from a wrecked Focus.
Would you believe it. I picked up 2 brand new struts from Ferntree Gully Ford for $43 each....

Starting to think that maybe Strapp Ford missunderstood me and quoted the price for the susspension struts as opposed to the tailgate struts.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #39
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Spyne~
And incase anyone was wondering, to have the floor carpet replaced will cost $628.11 for the part PLUS $451 labour!!!!
Bargain!

I'm 600 clicks overdue for my 60k service. Just got a set of rear discs & pads today and tossing up where to take it. Ultratune was looking good till Russ mentioned something about them knocking back supplied parts.

City Ford Arncliffe sent me a reminder in the mail assuming the 60k service was due give or take a day the odo hit 60,000. They included a special deal where they clean / replace the air con element for $79.

Nothing wrong with the service at City Ford, it's just I know they'll be excessively pricey and money is tight right now. Is it worth asking for a quote first? Need the horn fixed / replaced too. That's gonna sting for sure.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #40
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
Bargain!

I'm 600 clicks overdue for my 60k service. Just got a set of rear discs & pads today and tossing up where to take it. Ultratune was looking good till Russ mentioned something about them knocking back supplied parts.

City Ford Arncliffe sent me a reminder in the mail assuming the 60k service was due give or take a day the odo hit 60,000. They included a special deal where they clean / replace the air con element for $79.

Nothing wrong with the service at City Ford, it's just I know they'll be excessively pricey and money is tight right now. Is it worth asking for a quote first? Need the horn fixed / replaced too. That's gonna sting for sure.
Mohit mentioned after my post his Ultratune let him supply parts - might be a good idea to phone a few different stores (FYI - it was the Menai store that I spoke to).

If 'air con element' refers to the cabin filter, I bought one online for AU$36 from the UK (including shipping) and fitted myself. Pretty sure Ford usually charge around $90 for the stock filter.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11243553
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #41
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would check out the Ryco replacement cabin filters as they are around the same price or a bit cheaper retail than importing from the UK .
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #42
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
I would check out the Ryco replacement cabin filters as they are around the same price or a bit cheaper retail than importing from the UK .
According to the Ryco website (and asking instore), they don't produce a cabin filter for the LS Focus. Even so, the cabin filter for the LR Focus is around $45 (plus shipping).

Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #43
Rezab

Hello everyone,

I have a Focus LS 2005 which is due for 60k service (overdue? cause the previous owner did the 45k at 48k so I thought until 63k is ok).
I got some quotes from Ford dealers and also some other service centres.
The only place I used before is Denmacford (brisbane) which I was happy with their service but this time they quote seems a lot more than others!

Here is what I've got:
Ultra-tune: $410.00
Kmart auto service: $430
Midas: $566.80
Metroford: $550
Denmacford: $697.70

Not being a car savvy I have some questions which I really appreciate your help on them:

1- why prices are so different?! you may say different parts is the reason but then why even those Ford dealers within 10km are so different?!

2- Is there any part of the service which can be done by myself to save little bit of money? (I don't know, like wipers, or anything which doesn't need years of experience)

Thanks.
Rezab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #44
Rezab

Quote:
Originally Posted by somers181
At this visit i was told of Ford Recall P0705 (Wheel house Liner Modification) for LS Focus and this was completed at no cost under Ford Warranty.
Would you please explain about the recall. I have a Focus LS and I'm not aware of any recall.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #45
Rezab

Just received two another quotes and I don't understand why even Ford dealers in the same city don't have similar price.

Bryanbyrt Ford: $740.00
Southside Ford: $530.00

Last edited by Rezab; 03-03-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #46
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezab

Just received two another quotes and I don't understand why even Ford dealers in the same city don't have similar price.

Bryanbyrt Ford: $740.00
Southside Ford: $530.00
Dealerships set their own hourly labour rates. And some dealerships include additional services that may not really be needed.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have a Focus LS 2005 which is due for 60k service (overdue? cause the previous owner did the 45k at 48k so I thought until 63k is ok).
I got some quotes from Ford dealers and also some other service centres.
The only place I used before is Denmacford (brisbane) which I was happy with their service but this time they quote seems a lot more than others!

Here is what I've got:
Ultra-tune: $410.00
Kmart auto service: $430
Midas: $566.80
Metroford: $550
Denmacford: $697.70

Not being a car savvy I have some questions which I really appreciate your help on them:

1- why prices are so different?! you may say different parts is the reason but then why even those Ford dealers within 10km are so different?!

2- Is there any part of the service which can be done by myself to save little bit of money? (I don't know, like wipers, or anything which doesn't need years of experience)

Thanks.
Calling for a service quote is very hard to do. Instead, you should tell them you want a regular minor service PLUS X, Y and Z.

Did you get a break down of what they intend to do to your car? Call back the mob that quoted you the $410, and call back the mob that quoted you $740 and ask for the breakdown of the price.

Perhaps 1 may do an alignment, change petrol filter, re-grind disks, change brake fluid etc and the other does not.

In regards to servicing, know what your car needs, and when things need to get done. Create a table in a word document, with the 'things needed' listed down the left hand side, and the 'date / km' listed across the top. Put an X in each service item that needs to get done by default, and then work out at what intervals things like brake / radiator / transmission fluids need to get done and X them in advance.

In regards to doing things yourself. Depends on how bothered you can be and how much you value your time.

I change my own front brakes, flush the radiator, change spark plugs, change fuel / air filters and rotate wheels myself. Mainly because I generally don't get too dirty doing it, and it is pretty straight forward.

I leave the grease and oil change / safety check to the guys that have the hoist, (but put my own oil flush in just before giving them the car).

Cheers,

Jason
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #48
Rezab

I got the service break down and it's not anything other than B service.
I can't see how a $300 difference (more than $200 in case of Ford dealers) could be justified by only labour cost.
What should I do? talk it to the cheapest cause the price is great or most expensive cause the work they do is great?! so confusing over here!(-:

Jason thanks for your advices. I tried to find a service manual for my made and model but I couldn't find Ford's workshop manual. Could you suggest how I can find a service manual to do some works by myself. At least reading it would help me to know my car better. I've searched extensively but I couldn't find any cd or pdf of the Ford's service manual.

Here is the cost break down for $700 quote:

Last edited by Rezab; 03-03-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #49
mohit

Quote:

I got the service break down and it's not anything other than B service.
I can't see how a $300 difference (more than $200 in case of Ford dealers) could be justified by only labour cost.
What should I do? talk it to the cheapest cause the price is great or most expensive cause the work they do is great?! so confusing over here!(-:
The most expensive does not always mean the best work. More chance of a 1st year apprentice working on your car at an expensive dealership than at an independent or franchised workshop. Why not ask some friends or family members who have had good experiences with the mechanics/workshops they use and have a chat to them about your service?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #50
Rezab

Quote:
Why not ask some friends or family members who have had good experiences with the mechanics/workshops they use and have a chat to them about your service?
I'm a new comer, now it's two years, so no chance about asking any family member on that, none are here.
So basically good people on Fordforums.com.au are my friends as far as I'm concern.
I had my car serviced couple of times in Denmac Ford but I'm not sure I can trust them on the cost issue. The service was good but the price questionable. They made pay pay $50 just for vacuuming the driver seat (Shattered window, stolen GPS,... that's another story!)

So basically I'm counting on you guys.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #51
casabonka
You can call me Chris

50 bucks to vaccuum? Yup, would never go there again! I got mine done through denlo (subaru) and they were thourough and cheap!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #52
Rezab

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
50 bucks to vaccuum? Yup, would never go there again! I got mine done through denlo (subaru) and they were thourough and cheap!
Yes, I particularly asked them what is this $50 for, and the answer was for vacuuming shattered window off the driver seat. The only problem with that logic was that I'd driven the car there sitting on it, meaning there was nothing significant there! Any way that's another story and at the time I thought it's Australia and labour isn't cheap like I used to see.

Now on the issue, unfortunately Denlo is in NSW (correct?) so would you please just give me a hint how much it cost you considering you were satisfy with the service.

Thanks

Last edited by Rezab; 03-03-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #53
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Ahh yeah they are only in Sydney!
I paid 180 for my 45k service;
Oil & Filter
Check All fluid levels
Check Brakes
Lubricate all hinges and locks
And washed and vaccuumed the car

No air filter as I've got a K&N filter.

For a 60K It would obviously be more expensive, but as mentioned, maybe try and find a local, most likely will always be cheaper and usually a better job.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #54
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
They made pay pay $50 just for vacuuming the driver seat (Shattered window, stolen GPS,... that's another story!)

So basically I'm counting on you guys.
Thanks
Firstly, I would have not paid that cleaning fee point blank. If you took it there for a service, and did not mention the cleaning of the glass as one of your service requirements then they just threw it on there to see if they could get away with it.

Another thing... be very pro-active in your dealings with the service department. Take an interest in what will exactly be done, for what price, and what the final figure should be. And make it clear that anything over and above this needs to be run by you first, or you just won't pay for it.

The worst thing you can ever do is just take a car in to a place, say "it needs service" and walk away...

Does your car need those fancy plugs or standard plugs? What is the item number 5 "Filter and bracket"???

Do you have any records of when things were changed in the past? What are the driving conditions your car encounters? Does the air filter really need changing? (I did mine every 20,000km) Same with the Pollen Filter?

If you want to cut costs, this is what I would be asking myself.

Also, in regards to filters etc. Do a google search, or search on the forums (or start a new thread and ask a specific question) in regards to trying to do things yourself.

Lets face it, a lot of drivers do not know much about cars, and they blindly trust and pay for whatever the invoice says. Educate yourself and don't be afraid to question as to where and why you are about to pay several hundred dollars.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #55
Rezab

Quote:
Firstly, I would have not paid that cleaning fee point blank. If you took it there for a service, and did not mention the cleaning of the glass as one of your service requirements then they just threw it on there to see if they could get away with it.
Yes, and unfortunately they got away with it. Although after that I contacted Ford itself but they said there is nothing they can do about it. (I used to that kind of way, in the past if I had a complaint about the dealer service would call main support). Lesson learned!

Quote:
The worst thing you can ever do is just take a car in to a place, say "it needs service" and walk away...
You are right.

Quote:
Does your car need those fancy plugs or standard plugs? What is the item number 5 "Filter and bracket"???
So I'm the one who should decide what kind of spark plugs should be used? I've never had to make such decision before. Ok, I'll check that out.
"Filter and bracket" is Fuel filter.

Quote:
Do you have any records of when things were changed in the past? What are the driving conditions your car encounters? Does the air filter really need changing? (I did mine every 20,000km) Same with the Pollen Filter?
The last service has been done at 48k and it was an A service. How do I know which filter needs to be replace?

Quote:
Also, in regards to filters etc. Do a google search, or search on the forums (or start a new thread and ask a specific question) in regards to trying to do things yourself.
I did a lot of search and couldn't find any Ford workshop manual yet. It would be great if some one could help on this part.

Thanks for your time and kind attention.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #56
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
So I'm the one who should decide what kind of spark plugs should be used? I've never had to make such decision before. Ok, I'll check that out.
"Filter and bracket" is Fuel filter.

The last service has been done at 48k and it was an A service. How do I know which filter needs to be replace?

Thanks for your time and kind attention.
I don't know what are the standard plugs for a 2005 LS Focus. A quick search on the NGK site tells me that the model number is "ITR6F13". Another quick search on Ebay reveals that you can order a set of 4 plugs for under $50 delivered.

From the first post, it seems that the LS Focus has an 'in tank' fuel filter. What does your handbook say?

Pop open the air box in the engine bay. Carefully remove the filter element and have a look at it. Does it look heavily discoloured on the intake side compared to the engine side? If you travel in dusty conditions you will need to change your filter more often, if the filter looks reasonably clean, with only a very light discolouration in the element then perhaps it doesn't need changing this time?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #57
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Ebay au and uk have a few service manuals at a decent price too.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 04-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #58
Rezab

Thanks guys for advices, you are great. I've ordered a manual off the ebay. It's a shame it has to be sent all the way from UK.

In my research to find a way doing some of stuff by myself, I found a tool called "topsider oil changer".
Here is the link to the product on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nosim/kkorg-20

And you can see it in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuQLeIXMLsc

I must say it's quite interesting tool. Do you know any place it could be bought from?

Thanks again for all good informations.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #59
casabonka
You can call me Chris

looks dodgy - Especially if your oil is a bit dirty or 'sludgy' I cant imagine that picking it up. Cant beat gravity - get under there with a socket and a drip pan and away you go!
Save your $50 on getting some good oil and filter :P
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #60
mohit

Quote:

Thanks guys for advices, you are great. I've ordered a manual off the ebay. It's a shame it has to be sent all the way from UK.

In my research to find a way doing some of stuff by myself, I found a tool called "topsider oil changer".
Here is the link to the product on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nosim/kkorg-20

And you can see it in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuQLeIXMLsc

I must say it's quite interesting tool. Do you know any place it could be bought from?

Thanks again for all good informations.
If you're going to do your own oil change follow this guide it's very easy: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11271487