Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
bafel

Sounds like the kitchen just got too hot for someone
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
scradley_6666
Move, I'm trying to SPEED

Im buying some defillipo headers and an x-forcee exhaust with my $900 plus obviously my own money. Im stimulating myself with these mods... Who wants my $900 government money and the rest of my 38 hour pay???

On a more serious note (im still buying that stuff), my boss works hard and i dont even like him. But i respect him coz if he didnt do such long hours and and work so hard, he surley would of cut my pay. But he works hard to make him more money too...

238.5 RWKW

"A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light."

:evil3:
scradley_6666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Great Read
Old 25-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i enjoyed reading this piece and also some of your responses but i would like to make the point that the previous government handout AND the one some are about to receive are not going to be effective because
1. people are struggling and will use it to pay their mortgage (interest rates have fallen but its too late for it to make a real difference, people are far enough behind already)
2. people are struggling and will use it for petrol, which we are paying too much for, which the government does nothing about
3. people are struggling and choose to buy foreign, cheaper products instead of australian made and/or owned; if people chose such products, the stimulus package would start to take effect

if the above are all true (particularly number 3), then this "boss" is correct. australian businesses DO need to be supported.
1. less taxes means they get to take more home and dont have to put their prices up so high as this makes their goods even less accessible to australians compared to cheaper foreign counterparts

2. tariffs need to rise, not fall on foreign goods. im sure everyone is in the know about the car industry crisis are a few obvious things annoy me about it and obviously they will to you. why is it i can buy a hyundai getz far cheaper than i can a focus or festiva or a barina or an astra? i dont think this is right... or maybe the government is the clever one and wishes for us to have crappy cars on the roads so that our mechanics have more work repairing breakdowns? not likely.

3. the government needs to do far more for small businesses, the work is drying up because of the current climate but its not just the trade owners that are suffering, its the apprentices. apprentices are being layed off, young adults fresh out of school cant find apprenticeships, this is australia's future we are playing with. sure, they can go work in retail for a few years and be qualified for what??? they can work at coles or kfc but where will they be in 10 years? 5 years??? yes, it is possible to survive on unskilled labour and yes, it is possible to do quite well, but not for everyone. those people are going to be in the same position as people are now, no money for spending and then we are stuck in exactly the same position we are in now.

the government stimulus package ****es me the hell off but i will be thankful for my $900 when i receive it. its going to stay in the bank and be saved for a rainy day because i cant afford to be throwing money around
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
2. tariffs need to rise, not fall on foreign goods. im sure everyone is in the know about the car industry crisis are a few obvious things annoy me about it and obviously they will to you. why is it i can buy a hyundai getz far cheaper than i can a focus or festiva or a barina or an astra? i dont think this is right...

Your an idiot. The Festiva WAS made in the same country as the Getz but hasn't been sold for a good 8 or so years. Other 3 cars are also built overseas so if the tarrifs were increased the prices of Focus etc would be included.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok so the post did go through, can a mod delete this one?

Last edited by Stattic; 26-02-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 25-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a worldwide problem and it may get far worse across the world
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i swear to god i just replied to that post maybe i forgot to click post....
anyways i said yes, you are right, i chose a bad example without really thinking about it but the point still stands in general, im talking about australian products vs foreign products overall
and no im not an idiot =) just misinformed
Old 26-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Barry_v
rocknrolla

start the violin music, the boss is hard done by.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good read but if he is paying $288,000 a qtr in GST, his turnover is at least $3,168,000 a qtr, $12,672,000 a year and cant employ 14 peoples wages
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFXRScott
Good read but if he is paying $288,000 a qtr in GST, his turnover is at least $3,168,000 a qtr, $12,672,000 a year and cant employ 14 peoples wages
Sounds like his expenses may be up around the $12m mark too, so yes, it is cutting it fine. Turnover does not take into account cost of business (it's just gross sales).

I thought it was a very good read, and I absolutely agree that the $900 being given to government benefit recipients (generalised as single mothers etc) is a complete waste (unless the single mothers spend it on condoms, lol). Some families who are actually working, but living close to the poverty line, actually could use the extra money; unfortunately, they will most likely buy things they couldn't otherwise afford (such as PLasms TVs, or a blue ray DVD player, or both). So does the money help Australia deep down? Probably not; to me, it's just a band aid for the retail sector that will last all of 2 days!

For the record, I am married and have 3 kids and I and the kids won't get a cent in the handout (I think the missus gets her $900 though - it's already been spent on replacing the F&P washing machine that died last week after 15 years good service); but then apparently we get paid enough not to need it (I wish). Had my missus not gone back to work part time, and we relied on the Tax A and B payments etc that we would otherwise get, we would have got this "stimulus" and probably been better off than we are now, but we believe in generating our own taxes...er income, not sponging off the govt..
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 26-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFXRScott

That $288k would be a combination of GST as well as PAYG (tax instalment on company profits) , payroll tax, FBT...not just GST
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
That $288k would be a combination of GST as well as PAYG (tax instalment on company profits) , payroll tax, FBT...not just GST

Yeah but with that amount payable, even taking into account instalments, still should be very profitable, if being run efficiently, mind you
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
timmo

I've managed and run businesses since I left school. Never went to uni, but the majority of my mates did. It's interesting to speak to them about this sort of thing, as they feel as though they are owed a job, and they are doing their employer a favour by working there.
A lot was said in the build up to the election about Worker's Rights, but where are the businesses rights? The same people who whinge about losing their job, wouldn't think twice about jumping ship to a rival company if they were offered a better deal. This infuriates me.
My dad has always said "If you vote Liberal, you vote for the country. If you vote labor, you vote for yourself". I think this is really starting to show now, and the more I see K Rudd on TV spruiking a new incentive, I think where is the money coming from? And how are we going to pay it back.
On a side note, if the original stimulus package was designed "for you to go out and spend" why was it not given to the people who have the ability to spend it as recklessly as the Government intended, the high income earner? It's playing politics, and buying votes at a time when politics shouldn't have come into it...
timmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading all these posts written by employees about running business is like reading posts on here about V8SC drivers.

You have never done it, probably can't actually do it and have no idea what you are talking about.

You DO, however, have a keyboard........action, instant, CONTACT...........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #16
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Reading all these posts written by employees about running business is like reading posts on here about V8SC drivers.

You have never done it, probably can't actually do it and have no idea what you are talking about.

AMEN!......... THANKYOU!!!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Who are you referring to exactly?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Who are you referring to exactly?
The "expert" posts on here that are written by people who have never run a business or worked in the field of accounting/administration of any business.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I believe compliance costs are a big impost on business. It's ludicrous!! I work for a Federal Govt department and each department has it's own compliance requirements. It's a huge headache for business and it's only getting worse. Couple this with subtle cost shifting onto private enterprise makes running a business quite unattractive.

The solution rests with Government but there is neither the finances or political will to address this.

Someone said we're the "worlds biggest warehouse". Spot on!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
XWGT