Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #31
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
I also work in a hospital. The hourly rate is appaling! I also have had similar dealings with knife threats, aggressive patients (kick,bite,spit etc) I work in ER, ICU areas and Theatres...I am on $20 per hour. Recently the junior admin staff have had a raise and now earn $23 per hour ( for handling paperwork) Most nurses are on $21 per hour!
It is obvious to the government that paperwork comes before patients!!!
Mate the nurses do a fantastic job back in June I had a PE and spent about 8 hrs in the ED and then 3 days in ICU and about a week in the ward before I was allowed home
Laying flat on your back and fully aware of your surroundings for a week you can get a feel for the staff and the enormous pressures they are under esp in the ICU where someone in the bed next to me did not make it - the staff worked on them for over 1/2 hour tring to stabilize them and get them a theatre and they were concerned for me witnessing and hearing it as well
I had a few of the female and male nurses in the ward just drop by for a chat becuase I was young and fully coherient and couild carry on a full conversation and I think it was their little few minute escape and regroup and not talk shop
Even a 100 an hour is not enough for what these dedicated hospital and ambulance staff do day in day out
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #32
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Might be too much heat and cause too much interest where it all came from.
Fair enough. Check your PM's
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #33
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

And then some angency nursing staff from other countrys (eg NZ) come over here and earn 40 dollars and more per hour normally. They come they earn and then they leave.

Give that money to people who stay here.
Old 18-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #34
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Good luck, similar claims in NSW too.

All signs of national economic downfall that has been underway a long time now, for many, many reasons that are too long to go into here.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #35
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Good luck, similar claims in NSW too.

All signs of national economic downfall that has been underway a long time now, for many, many reasons that are too long to go into here.
Agreed, the frustrating thing for us is we have been cruising along, doing our jobs and thinking with all the new increases in skills and responsibilites, on the new EBA our pay will be addressed. It has not, but we are still very effectively muted by the nature of our job that we are so dedicated to.
Old 20-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #36
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rediculous.

Email sent, letter on its way.

I have been in and around hospitals and medical facilities for some time now, and I know how tough QAS personel are doing it. You have my support.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you see that Kev reckoned last nigh on CH7 he is going to federalise all of health.

That should help release a few more shekles for the ambos etc (I hope)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #38
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

qld emergency services employee reporting in
Old 20-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #39
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just recieved an email back from the electorate office, saying my email has been forwarded to the correct address and provided me with this:

emergency@ministerial.qld.gov.au

For anyone else wanting to contact the Minister for Emergency Services, this is the correct email.

Best of luck to the men and women of the QAS, for it is a great and noble job you do, regardless of what the government seems to think. In my point of view, you are all heroes.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #40
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Thanks for your replies everyone, sometimes it is nice to know that we are appreciated. All to often we hear "how come you took to long", "I can't walk, you have to carry me because I am sick with the flu" etc.

The Japanese woman brings back memories, been in that situation many times. So far in my 5 yrs in the service I have been sworn at, spat on, had blood spat in my eyes intentionally, punched, kicked, bitten, scratched and threatened with a knife. Three members currently still in our station have been threatened with guns and one in a neighbouring station has been shot, all for $23/hr!

The responses are great and keep the thread in view so that it gets exposure, please.

I have found the address for the minister for emergency services Mr Neil Roberts

Address
Level 3
Emergency Services Complex Cnr Kedron Park Road & Park Road Kedron QLD 4031
Postal Address
GPO Box 1425, Brisbane Qld 4001

Here is his email, Minister for Nudgee

nudgee@parliament.qld.gov.au <nudgee@parliament.qld.gov.au>

Let me know if the link doesn't work and please don't tell him I sent you or where you got your information from.

Thanks everyone
That e-mail i sent was forwarded to the minister of emergency services to this address emergency@ministerial.qld.gov.au
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #41
steamin63
old skool

i feel for you guys. captain bligh and her bunch of maggots won't hesitate to give themselves a massive payrise at the expense of everyone else. i just hope those germs need your services in the near future.cheers.
Old 20-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #42
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Did you see that Kev reckoned last nigh on CH7 he is going to federalise all of health.

That should help release a few more shekles for the ambos etc (I hope)
QLD Health being taken over by Federal Govt will have no effect on QLD Ambulance, we are under Department of Emergency Services, along with QFRS and SES. Therefore it will mean nothing to us.

emergency@ministerial.qld.gov.au

This is the email to use, it is his office, not the minister so make sure you ask for his response to make sure he reads it.

So do your Ambo's a favour and tell your mates and fill his inbox.

Thanks from you friendly local Ambo's

Last edited by geckoGT; 20-10-2008 at 11:21 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #43
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Time for an update everyone.

The LHMU has authorised industrial action against the QAS in order to have our voice heard regarding our concerns over work conditions. These actions are limited to non essential functions and administrative functions and do not in anyway jeopardise the health of any QLD resident who requires paramedic support.

To date these actions are being noticed but more pressure is desperately required, a sentiment that the LHMU has asked its members to pass on to all the people we know.

If you have not already done so, please take the time to send an email or letter to the Minister of Emergency Services that you believe the Paramedics deserve better than the conditions that they are under. Let him know that you believe they should not have to work overtime shifts, some working up to 4 a fortnight (48hrs), just to make ends meet.

The fatigue levels are through the roof, the stress is through the roof and morale is through the floor, please give us a hand.
Old 25-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #44
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Time for an update everyone.

The LHMU has authorised industrial action against the QAS in order to have our voice heard regarding our concerns over work conditions. These actions are limited to non essential functions and administrative functions and do not in anyway jeopardise the health of any QLD resident who requires paramedic support.

To date these actions are being noticed but more pressure is desperately required, a sentiment that the LHMU has asked its members to pass on to all the people we know.

If you have not already done so, please take the time to send an email or letter to the Minister of Emergency Services that you believe the Paramedics deserve better than the conditions that they are under. Let him know that you believe they should not have to work overtime shifts, some working up to 4 a fortnight (48hrs), just to make ends meet.

The fatigue levels are through the roof, the stress is through the roof and morale is through the floor, please give us a hand.
To get them to up your pays, how about you all go on strike for a week or something? When peoples lives are at great risk, they might open their eyes. Imagine calling 000 and being told there's no paramedic/ambulance driver staff to help you, that'll send your message nice and clear to everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by 90sFTW; 25-10-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #45
Bobman
Regulator

You guys deserve as much as you can get. Same goes for doctors and other emergency service workers.

Our money gets wasted on these clowns in Government who do nothing for us and then waste our money on useless studies and holidays etc and more importantly on themselves.

Will be supporting any proposal like this for ASV.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #46
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
To get them to up your pays, how about you all go on strike for a week or something? When peoples lives are at great risk, they might open their eyes. Imagine calling 000 and being told there's no paramedic/ambulance driver staff to help you, that'll send your message nice and clear to everyone.
Yes it would get the message out, but not possible.

For one, no paramedic would contemplate this and if by some chance the union were to suggest, no paramedic would support it. Paramedics have a genuine caring attitude and sense of duty towards the public, making this action impossible.

This sort of action would also turn public opinion against the paramedics, aking us the bad guys and would actually hand the government with a moral victory.

This is why we need the help of the public, the nature of our job means we have the bite of your average 3 day old kitten when it comes to industrial action.
Old 26-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #47
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hasnt the QAS got a policeman in charge of them rather than an Ambulance man and QR got the toe cutter who closed down the steel mills in Australia
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #48
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
Hasnt the QAS got a policeman in charge of them rather than an Ambulance man and QR got the toe cutter who closed down the steel mills in Australia
Now... they do. The last bloke blew the budget out of the water.

I've been working with the QAS Academy at Lutwyche for the last two years making a training package... and the guys and gals working there were a little worried. Though a couple of them got to go to the UK for a couple of weeks on a recruitment drive!

But, the guys on the road are doing a great job. They helped me deliver my daughter on the kitchen floor a few years ago!

Not to mention the work I've seen them do when I've been working

Last edited by Captain Stubing; 26-10-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #49
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Yes we do have a cop as the commisioner, the last one got asked to resign, as did the assistant commisioner.

They managed to blow the budget, while we had vehicles that were old and breaking down, defibrillators that were 10 years old and antiquated, no pay rises and understaffed so much that on an average night shift as many as 6 stations on the south side of brissy were not staffed.
Old 26-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #50
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is why we need the help of the public, the nature of our job means we have the bite of your average 3 day old kitten when it comes to industrial action.
Unfortunately the govt know this and will push back on your requests.... :(

You guys get administrative pay for doing frontline life saving work... That ****es me off. And for all these years now, we have been paying the fee with our power bill on the premise it will fix the QAS, as they said not enough people subscribed to the ambo's, therefore they couldnt afford everything...! Load of BS.

You have my 100% support when it comes to this.

You guys deserve something like a 15% parity adjustment immediately, followed by some staged growth over the coming years, somewhat tied in with inflation... as would normally be the case...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #51
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Update

The Ambulance service had a rally today in the city to try and get the attention of the state government.

This was unsuccessful and the Government is holding firm on their insulting offer on the new EBA.

There will be further mettings tomorrow, we need your help.

The QAS is consistently covering staffing shortfalls with entire stations being unmanned on shifts (yes your local station may not be staffed right now). The work load and financial stress that your paramedics are under right now has lead to an all time low in staff morale. This is resulting in a significant number or experienced Paramedics either leaving the profession or going to other states, further increasing the staff shortages and decreasing your safety.

Please be there when we need you, so we can be there when you need us!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #52
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
Rediculous.

Email sent, letter on its way.

I have been in and around hospitals and medical facilities for some time now, and I know how tough QAS personel are doing it. You have my support.
Done also. I also have a few personal experiences with QAS that also show how the funding system is failing. About 10 years ago, my wife had an incident where we had to call the ambos, and have her transported to the local hospital. She required monitoring in the vehicle, so yours' truly got to drive the ambulance to the hospital...It cruised quite nicely at 140 but that's another story..I sometimes think we haven't come much further than the chook raffles they used to hold for fund raising..

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #53
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Done !
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #54
Jab
Shockwave BAMKII XR6T

All I can say is I wonder how one of the pollies would feel if they needed a paramedic stat. I say thankyou again for the time when my wife called one for me when I was having a heart attack. THANKYOU.... You guys & girls in the QAS, the pollies have no clue as to your real value/worth. Maybe when they are doubled over with that crushing pain and they hear that siren getting louder will they really understand.

Jim.
Jab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #55
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have needed an ambulance many occasions (not just for myself either). The one time that sticks in my head is when I burnt myself with 5Lts of boiling water. Not only did I get two absolutely awesome ambo's from here but gecko and his partner came flying up here as fast as they could (they live 40 minutes away), no questions really asked, dropped everything and were at the hospital ready to help me go home when I decided it was time.
These guys and girls don't switch off when they are off duty, they still offer advice if ever asked (even the ones that have come into work have had staff ask questions, they never get annoyed, just answer as honestly as they can).

I could rattle on about how many times gecko has been there off duty with words of comfort and advice - this sometimes is worth more than gold.

I feel lucky though, I have a paramedic on speed dial for advice :

They do not get paid for what they are worth by any means.

Quote:
geckoGT
Please be there when we need you, so we can be there when you need us!
Words we should all listen to and spur on getting our voices heard.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #56
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i know the answer but ,how do they justify the ceo 6 figure plus pays and a paramedic gets an award wage ,the society order is out of wack something bad.you would have to say a para should get near docs money, but they dont this annoys me .
Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #57
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Further update

Negotiations between the state government and the union have stalled with no hope of resolution. The final government offer raised from 3.75% up to 4% (generous mongrels), which is below the inflation rate or 5.1%. The final statement is any pay increase must be cost neutral to the service, so no pay rise without large trade offs.

The dispute has now been referred to the Industrial Relations Commision for arbitration. Parties present at this meeting which occured today were the Department of Emergency Services, QAS Management and our Union. All union delegates were denied release from active duty for the meeting, leaving only the Ambulance Secretary of the union to represent us (a decision by QAS management). This left the balance of power in the meeting firmly on the side of the government and the management. I have not heard the result of the meeting yet but I will comment when I have.

The minister of Industrial Relations stated to the union that "paramedics should be happy with what they have" so I am guessing the decision of the arbitration will not be very beneficial to us.

The union has also been ordered to cease all active industrial action, which has been done. There will however still be publicity actions to educate the public of queensland on the plight of the paramedics.

So our backs are to the wall and now we have been silenced to a large extent, we need your voice.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #58
jjw