Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #31
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
How the hell can you say he did nothing wrong, he ran 8 people over. If a kid had run out in front of him then you could say he did nothing wrong, but to plow through a large crowd of people is completely his fault.
If the kid ran from the bushes on a highway in front a car, yeah, the driver did nothing wrong.

Are you gonna say you stop, stop not simply slow and focus a tad more, on every country rd at night when you hit those little patches of fog? This guy probably hit the smoke maybe 1/2 a second before hitting his first idiot.

Are you really that simple that you think the driver deliberately plowed these clowns? Are you even awake?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #32
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Quote:
How the hell can you say he did nothing wrong, he ran 8 people over. If a kid had run out in front of him then you could say he did nothing wrong, but to plow through a large crowd of people is completely his fault.
You may prove to be right as all the facts aren't known, but going on the facts, and bear in mind the police are not looking to charge him, i think he did nothing wrong.
Old 17-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #33
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
If the kid ran from the bushes on a highway in front a car, yeah, the driver did nothing wrong.

Are you gonna say you stop, stop not simply slow and focus a tad more, on every country rd at night when you hit those little patches of fog? This guy probably hit the smoke maybe 1/2 a second before hitting his first idiot.

Are you really that simple that you think the driver deliberately plowed these clowns? Are you even awake?
If im typing this i must be awake : .

If i come through a foggy patch i adjust my speed depending on how thick it is and how far i can see up the road. If you can only see 5o meters up the road you don't sit there doing 8ok's do you, you go quick enough to allow yourself room to stop in the event somethings on the road be it a stopped car, a kid, a cow or a bunch or people. One of my mates (he was 18) while driving through thick fog plowed into the back of a truck 18 months ago that was doing 1ok's while he was doing 11ok's, 3 other cars ran up his and 2 people ended up dead. For the life of me i cant work out wht anyone would have been doing more than 5ok's if they couldnt see 5o meters down the road. This kid will never look normal, he's had dozens of operations and still looks messed up.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #34
fmc351
let it burn

Whats most effective from this thread, it clearly highlights the defensive nature of those who think street racing, speeding etc are not problems in society. Jesus, you go so far as to blame the driver of the white car, in another thread it was the old couple, and the list is endless.

Quote:
If im typing this i must be awake : .
I was trying to find some reason for the lunacy in your post.

Quote:
If i come through a foggy patch i adjust my speed depending on how thick it is and how far i can see up the road. If you can only see 5o meters up the road you don't sit there doing 8ok's do you, you go quick enough to allow yourself room to stop in the event somethings on the road be it a stopped car, a kid, a cow or a bunch or people. One of my mates (he was 18) while driving through thick fog plowed into the back of a truck 18 months ago that was doing 1ok's while he was doing 11ok's, 3 other cars ran up his and 2 people ended up dead. For the life of me i cant work out wht anyone would have been doing more than 5ok's if they couldnt see 5o meters down the road. This kid will never look normal, he's had dozens of operations and still looks messed up.
You cant be doing 50 the same second you notice the fog unless you were already doing 50. That speed reduction occurs while in the fog if it surprises you, please dont tell me it never does. Using low beam, its not hard to accept he hit the 'fog' (smoke as it turns out) and before he could wash off much speed 'BANG'.

Its offensive to try and blame the driver of the white car when Police have not seen any reason to charge him. If they do, like drinking or speeding etc, then fine, he has some blame and the facts should be reassessed. As it stands, the racers and spectators are to blame and an innocent man will have nightmares for the rest of his life because of them.
Old 17-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #35
syko4d

Quote:
There are only idiots from the group of spectators saying he had no lights on. So lets not get carried away as if thats fact.

Would these clowns be on the road if if the street race did not take place? Nope. Funny thing about laws and responsibility, you should make yourself aware of them, you will be held to them even if youre ignorant to them.

There is no evidence there was a burnout pad of smoke, just smoke from a race. If you want to suggest these clowns sat there and did pre-race burnouts in the middle of a highway, well you wont be enhancing their role in the event or effectively shifting blame.

Given its early hours, the suggestion headlights even need to be on suggests even a little smoke would make it impossible to see people standing within said smoke. You can hardly blame a driver who most likely hit the smoke about half a second before he hit his first idiot. Yet in that first post of yours, you tried to. Even went so far as to say the racers were not responsible at all, and the poor 'admirers' were victims of a ruthless law abiding driver what was it, a 'spastic'.
ok first thing first if youre going to argue about something atleast know whats been said about it ok so ill correct you cos im a nice person the police said the race had already been completed and then they did a burnout and apperently thats wen the car hit the people ok

so if the cars were doing a burnout wouldnt the cars get hit there was two of them ?

your just jumping on the old blame the street racer bandwagon well mate the street racers didnt i repeat just for clarity didnt kill anyone

you dont understand be honest mate and stop trying to argue your point wich i and aperently a few other people think is wrong did you see the damage on the car? a person collapsed the roof of the car HE DID NOT SLOW DOWN a person ended up inside the car to wich the coppers thought was a passenger at first cmon mate are you awake think about what the first quesion was ?

then think about how its the street racers fault that people gatherd on the road and then thoroughly read my posts ok cos i really think youre losing the battle here

and yeah a lady did say she seen a white car as it took her father out of her arms she said she didnt see lights on the car what does she have to gain by lying she wasnt racing was she

oh and dont you have a modified car have you never raced on the street?
syko4d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #36
syko4d

and yeah the police wont charge him cos theyll charge the street racers who killed no one is that justice
Old 17-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #37
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Whats most effective from this thread, it clearly highlights the defensive nature of those who think street racing, speeding etc are not problems in society. Jesus, you go so far as to blame the driver of the white car, in another thread it was the old couple, and the list is endless.

I was trying to find some reason for the lunacy in your post.

You cant be doing 50 the same second you notice the fog unless you were already doing 50. That speed reduction occurs while in the fog if it surprises you, please dont tell me it never does. Using low beam, its not hard to accept he hit the 'fog' (smoke as it turns out) and before he could wash off much speed 'BANG'.

Its offensive to try and blame the driver of the white car when Police have not seen any reason to charge him. If they do, like drinking or speeding etc, then fine, he has some blame and the facts should be reassessed. As it stands, the racers and spectators are to blame and an innocent man will have nightmares for the rest of his life because of them.
So you wait untill you hit the fog before you decide to slow, bit stupid dont you think. Even at night you can see a fog patch from a few hundred meters out so that gives you plenty of room to slow down to a resonable pace.

If he drove to the conditions it most likely wouldn't have happened. I'm not sticking up for the people who got run over, they were there for one reason so they have no sympathy from me.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #38
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko4d
ok first thing first if youre going to argue about something atleast know whats been said about it ok so ill correct you cos im a nice person the police said the race had already been completed and then they did a burnout and apperently thats wen the car hit the people ok
No, youre ignorant. The article states clearly they had just taken off, and the crowd hit the road to watch as they took off.
Quote:
According to police, two cars had lined up for a race on the smooth and relatively flat and straight stretch of highway. They spun their wheels, kicking up smoke, then sped off, Copeland said.
Quote:
so if the cars were doing a burnout wouldnt the cars get hit there was two of them ?
Get where youre wrong yet? Sounds like the average burnout with traction being the goal, not smoke. Or do you drag with maximum wheelspin?

Quote:
your just jumping on the old blame the street racer bandwagon well mate the street racers didnt i repeat just for clarity didnt kill anyone
No, I accept street racing is dangerous and stupid, perpetrated by idiots.

Quote:
you dont understand be honest mate and stop trying to argue your point wich i and aperently a few other people think is wrong did you see the damage on the car? a person collapsed the roof of the car HE DID NOT SLOW DOWN a person ended up inside the car to wich the coppers thought was a passenger at first cmon mate are you awake think about what the first quesion was ?
No, you dont think, thats obvious.

At 80 km'h youll still stuff the roof, from 100 to 80 youd cover a fair stretch of bitumen. Given the article its not a burnout pad of smoke, just the average take off smokey and a car hit a group of fools attending an idiots game, its likely the driver hardly had any time to react.

Quote:
and yeah a lady did say she seen a white car as it took her father out of her arms she said she didnt see lights on the car what does she have to gain by lying she wasnt racing was she
Is this the same lady that needed to grab her child from the same scene that killed her dad. Apples never fall far from the tree. She sounds reliable.

Quote:
oh and dont you have a modified car have you never raced on the street?
Can an ex-smack addict tell their kids not to do smack, or do they need to let the kid do as they please? Thats the dumbest argument yet so often put forward as if it has any merit whatsoever.
Old 17-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #39
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
So you wait untill you hit the fog before you decide to slow, bit stupid dont you think. Even at night you can see a fog patch from a few hundred meters out so that gives you plenty of room to slow down to a resonable pace.

If he drove to the conditions it most likely wouldn't have happened. I'm not sticking up for the people who got run over, they were there for one reason so they have no sympathy from me.
Obviously you dont drive country roads often.

On moonlit nights, as you come down into a flat, yes you can see fog patches and slow before you get there. With highbeam on, you can see it ahead of you, again slow donw. With lowbeam and no way of seeing beyond the lights, no, it can surprise you and clearly you can only slow down once your in it, or very nearly in it. If its a small patch, not too heavy, do you do 20 km/h through it?

I see nothing in the article to indicate the driver had not driven to the prevailing conditions. As it turned out, that was wrong, but hardly predictable.

Another article claims the car came to rest 45 metres from where the crowd were, hardly sounds like he was doing anywhere near 100.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/sev...190629667.html

Street lighting is about 180 metres apart, and its being reported the body in the car was a passenger, not a spectator, although that could be an early report.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...17/2164729.htm
Old 17-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #40
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
... A car plowed into a crowd ...., killing eight people and injuring at least five, police said.

...the white sedan was not involved in the street race ....

The white sedan hit people standing on the side of Route 210 ....

A tractor-trailer that came by shortly afterward may also have struck someone on the road as it tried to avoid the crash, ....
I have distilled the above to the relevant points and to my understanding what's this got to do with street racing? Could have been any crowd anywhere.

Don't get me wrong street racing is dumb and dangerous. But driving into a cloud of smoke, standing on on the road. If there was racers there why is it there fault.

Yep, Darwin awards.
Old 17-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #41
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Please refrain from turning this into a direction debate about each other. The thread will just be deleted.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #42
syko4d

The driver of the white sedan had been interviewed and did not appear to be seriously hurt, Police Capt. Donald Frick said. Police said a body found in the car was one of the spectators and not a passenger as they had previously reported , does that clear that up?

Her brother, William Gaines Jr., was also there. The car came through so fast that "it just ripped people apart," he said.

"I didn't even see the car. All I heard was stuff breaking," he said.
i dont think 80 would collapse a roof but yeah i could be wrong and wat 45 metres isnt long enough to stop with the breaks on and you just hit 7 or 8 people

watch this
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/02/16...ap/index.html#

one thing i do agree with is no kids shouldnt have been there that is stupid

Can an ex-smack addict tell their kids not to do smack, or do they need to let the kid do as they please? Thats the dumbest argument yet so often put forward as if it has any merit whatsoever. but apples never fall far from the tree ? right?

one more thing

The white sedan hit people standing on the side of Route 210 ....?

Last edited by syko4d; 17-02-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 17-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #43
syko4d

ayway im over it we see it different ways you have your opinion i have mine ill leave it at that and i do agree with some of the things you said
Old 17-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #44
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
sound like general stupidity to me.
Sums up street racing in general actually!
Old 17-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #45
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I guess the facts are facts

A street race was held

A passing car ran into the crowd at the street race

Police have not at this stage charged the driver

The racing cars left the scene

8 people are now dead

Lots of people have lost a brother, a son, a father or a friend

Pretty stupid situation don't you think?

Laminge was 100% correct with his first post

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #46
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
The driver of the white sedan had been interviewed and did not appear to be seriously hurt, Police Capt. Donald Frick said. Police said a body found in the car was one of the spectators and not a passenger as they had previously reported , does that clear that up?
I already stated, it may be wrong as it may be an earlier report.

Quote:
Her brother, William Gaines Jr., was also there. The car came through so fast that "it just ripped people apart," he said.

"I didn't even see the car. All I heard was stuff breaking," he said.
The car came to rest 45 metres away so it seems he isnt reliable either, the evidence indicates another story. Ill stick with the evidence thanks, not some tool who seems to be part of a family of tools, trying to shift the blame away from their own stupidity.

How far will a car travel before stopping from 100 km/h? Ill bet its more than 45 metres. This indicates the driver was driving slower to start, or had tried to avoid the incident suggesting it just came up on him suddenly and he had already taken action like slowing down for the smoke.

I take offence to the driver being blamed in an effort to defend imbeciles.

Quote:
What am I meant to be watching? Whatever it is, all I get is the article, and an empty video screen via the link to video. Scripts are fine, my flash players are okay for youtube and other sites etc.

Quote:
one thing i do agree with is no kids shouldnt have been there that is stupid
That was a given. The point was the lady you quoted was the mother of that child. Her decision making skills are not the best, it doesnt speak well for her observation or reliability skills either. Her dads dead, seems she is trying to shift the blame to the driver, misdirected anger.

Quote:
Can an ex-smack addict tell their kids not to do smack, or do they need to let the kid do as they please? Thats the dumbest argument yet so often put forward as if it has any merit whatsoever. but apples never fall far from the tree ? right?
Point?

Of course the smack addict can advise their kids not to fall into the same trap, just as an ex-street racer, or speeder, can advise not to do it.

Quote:
one more thing

The white sedan hit people standing on the side of Route 210 ....?
At the very least the initial victims were in the middle of the road (lane), where the rest were is anyones guess, however it is clear the driver of the white car has no fault.
Old 17-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #47
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

fmc351...do you right books for a living?? Just curious...

Please keep this thread nice or they will close it!!

Everyone has points...just not everyone agrees and that is what makes the world go round.

Everyone is entitled to there opinions..right or wrong.
Old 17-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #48
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
fmc351...do you right books for a living?? Just curious...
Nah, but I have a wife so that may explain it.

I want to see more legal drag strips, more skid pans and more open access to them. I enjoy seeing a nice car on the road so I dont want to see where we are headed if things continue.

All the anti-speed camera arguments and defence of street racers etc do is damage the image of enthusiasts. Sooner or later, the majority will have it so we cant have any mods, and we will only have ourselves to blame. The writing is on the wall.
Old 18-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #49
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Well you have lost me with your ramblings, you do appreciate you don't need to respond to everyone that has a different opinion to yourself?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #50
james22
With da Warlords

Talk about a fight...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #51
red_hotxr6
Banned

Insane...Stupid.....Sad...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #52
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

NO.

Its stupid and there is no excuse.

Unless you have really small private parts it is better to go to any track.

They all have track days, club super sprints, AND DOOR TO DOOR RACE DAYS.

Real cars. Real men.

Street racers get a life.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #53
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munroman
NO.

Its stupid and there is no excuse.

Unless you have really small private parts it is better to go to any track.

They all have track days, club super sprints, AND DOOR TO DOOR RACE DAYS.

Real cars. Real men.

Street racers get a life.
So easy to say when you live somewhere off-street racing is a reality. Real cars. Real men, this from someone whos calls himself Munroman?
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #54
Mitch_

seems like common sense has died!
You want to see racing, drag strips regularly have test - n - tunes and the likes...
There is no-way in hell i'd be standing on/on the edge of a freeway with a crowd watching street racing... its just asking for trouble!
Mitch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #55
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

upon reading all posts.. and the article... this is the way i see it...

a crowd was run into by an innocent driver...
that crowd was there BECAUSE of street racers...

now how is this NOT caused by street racing?

the racers did not hurt anyone directly... but it's because the racing was taking place that this tragedy occured... i can't see any logical way to explain that away..

This thread is starting to get a little personal with attacks and such things... everyone has a difference of opinion... i used to go out to quiet roads and industrial estates when i was younger.. it didn't take long to realise the folly in it all... i also used to be involved in M1 races heading down to the gold coast.. (not the rolling road block type ones exaggerated on the news) there is a place for this sort of stuff.... thats where it should be kept...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #56
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

i live not too far from where this ocurred. the location is very close to two very good nhra and ihra sanctioned race tracks which can support cars over 200 mph.

http://www.capitolraceway.com/

http://www.mirdrag.com/

additionally there are other very competent tracks, some on the nhra national event schedule, not too far away.

i think of when i was younger and how we would have a race on a deserted road and leave. these street events around here today aren't like that. "spectators" and heavy bettors show up and make an illegal spectacle of the whole thing. there is no control. nobody is really in charge. i can only blame the stupid idiots involved for their own stupid deaths.

i apologize if i sound callous or not understanding.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a street race on this weekend in Adelaide, coppers know about it and will be there in droves.

Organised street racing is a method to allow people who live a long way from dedicated tracks to emjoy themselves. We have one here in Maryborough and there are several others around the state.

Maybe if more social street racing was organised on a regular basis the level of danger to the community could be lowered. Young people are young people and I remember all the local GTHOs, E38s and GTSs (mining town) drag racing on toogoom road when I was 13 and then I used to race against my friends in the same place five years later.
Looking back it was probably a bit silly and dangerous but we were out in woop woop and all thought we were safe.

People are people and banning racing with severe enforcement will have the same effect and results as banning alchohol in USA did........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #58
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
upon reading all posts.. and the article... this is the way i see it...

a crowd was run into by an innocent driver...
that crowd was there BECAUSE of street racers...

now how is this NOT caused by street racing?

the racers did not hurt anyone directly... but it's because the racing was taking place that this tragedy occured... i can't see any logical way to explain that away..

This thread is starting to get a little personal with attacks and such things... everyone has a difference of opinion... i used to go out to quiet roads and industrial estates when i was younger.. it didn't take long to realise the folly in it all... i also used to be involved in M1 races heading down to the gold coast.. (not the rolling road block type ones exaggerated on the news) there is a place for this sort of stuff.... thats where it should be kept...
Agreed; the street racing also caused the burnout which caused the driver of the white vehicle to not see the people.

The driver of the white vehicle has not been charged yet for a reason (also due to more facts being gathered); things happen so fast in an accident it's easy for us to say what the driver should/shouldnt have been doing

Keep it to the track; simple as that.
Old 19-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #59
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

SYKO4D and XRQTOR you obviously dont do alot if any driving on highways at 3:00 in the morning. To say that its the driver of the white Lincoln at fault because he should have seen the crowd, seen there cars, seen the smoke. Its obvious that you think street racing is cool and you must get a kick out of it (dont know how) because that is the only reason i can think of for you blaming the driver of the Lincoln for this incident.
As for the damage to the car well 1 Kangaroo in the early hours of the morning that suddenly appears in the middle of the road can cause a fair bit of damage at 110kmh not to mention a group of people that appeared in the middle of the road in the early hours of the morning bouncing of the car this would cause the damage sustained.

Just make sure at your next stret race tell the crowd to keep of the road as we dont want this sort of happening in Australia as Drag racing is trying to improve its Profile not wreck it and every time there is 2 Hyundai's racing across an intersection it gets splashed all over the news that it was illegal Drag Racing.

Better still how about you try the Drag Strip you might like it and forget about Street Racing and you wont have to see Death and Carnage.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #60
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There is a street race on this weekend in Adelaide, coppers know about it and will be there in droves.

Organised street racing is a method to allow people who live a long way from dedicated tracks to emjoy themselves. We have one here in Maryborough and there are several others around the state.

What it comes down to is people cant be bothered travelling to go racing and would prefer to race each other on the streets. There is a track in Whyalla,Mildura,Coonawarra, they are all within 500km from Adelaide. I live in Whyalla and since November we have raced in Whyalla 3 times, Mildura 1, Coonawarra 1. Whyalla is another 400km north of Adelaide so this adds a fair bit of travel to our trips and this is just to race street cars.
When AIR was running back in its day i would be here every meet thats an 800km trip to me this is not far to travel when i get to race my Car on a Drag Strip.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post