Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #31
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

yeah just reading though that and have either serial number record or even all the important stuff engraved is a good idea most of our electronics are engraved so if it does get nick and turns up later i can calm it back and i might be able to find out who done it and seek some revenage hehehe, now where did i put that steel pole

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #32
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
bloke 2 doors down got done over 6 days ago, same thing, kids came in just after he left for work and took the Playstation and games, Plasma TV, basically anything they could carry. Cops reckon its school kids on holidays, there is a few groups of them going around brisbane (im in regents park)
Yeah kids on holidays make up a fair amount of property crime... vandalism, theft, etc all spike over the Christmas holiday period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJuggsalot
Yeah we got broken into a few months back when we lived in Lidcombe, Sydney. We lived in a 'secured aparetment complex' on the 1st floor.
I lived in a 'secure' complex in Brisbane here and yeah people had stuff stolen all the time. Our apartments had louvered doors/entrance areas in the hallways and apparently people were going around flogging umbrellas, shoes, etc from the little entrance areas. Someone also stole the copper bucket from the sauna and also stole a vase from the foyer. I reckon it was residents or residents friends doing it because we had some real deads**ts living in it (not a cheap area either). The worst part was the roller door for the basement garages was broken for 2-3 months and people who weren't residents were parking in it so they had to post a security guard at the entrance (only part time tho).

I hate scumbag thieves.
Old 13-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #33
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get an alarm installed that will dial your mobile when activated. Should only cost about a grand, when you consider what a laptop, digital cameras etc are worth then it's a good investment.
Old 13-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #34
old_mate
Smash the Boost

IMO typical house alarms are useless (i install them) if the theif knows what he is doing he'll have the siren off and system shutdown within 2 mins of getting in.

But, it may be a big enough deterrant to the less than professional type scum.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #35
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

hehehe yeh i got mine off without codes in two minute and got round the house without setting it off till have ripped open the box (no keys no code), so ripped the box open set the alarm off pulled the battery out then a mad dash in to the roof to pull the mains out lol would have been done in under 2minutes i think, lucky not monitored. but i think that little white a blue box out front is always a good deturent

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 02:17 AM   #36
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I feel for you mate. I moved down to Melbourne 3 years ago, first time out of home, unpacked all my CD's, DVD's, PS2 and games and then left the next day for Sydney again to get engaged to my girlfriend on a planned weekend away.

Got a phone call from the caretaker of our "secure" apartment complex that my door had been kicked in and all the unpacked cd's, dvd's, ps2, a vacuum cleaner, wine bottles and knife set had been taken. They left the VHS!

I had taken out my first ever contents insurance 2 days earlier and hadn't even made the premium payment. Police were great, did their thing (never caught them as nobody has the resources to follow these house burglaries up). The CGU guy was outstanding, fully understood and fortunately everything was replaceable. But 2 days after moving interstate, out of home and changing my life I got robbed. Made me feel really good about it all!

The feeling of violation will eventually wear off and it almost changes you to a much more security based mindset for future places. I now lock doors all the time just to be safe, not much extra effort for increased security.

en drug addicts.
Old 13-01-2008, 03:58 AM   #37
nickd
Passionate Ford XD XE nut

feell for you mate
nickd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #38
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
What suburb was it in if you don't mind me asking? I just hope its not near me. I'm constantly concerned that some bastards are going to break in because we can't put up a fence due to it being a rental and because we don't have a fence we can't have a dog :(.
Suburb was loganholme and another in tanah merah the same day. They could be back, I almost hope they do so I can come face to face with them. Dirty effin scum, it still makes me angry as hell.
Old 13-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #39
red_hotxr6
Banned

Damn sorry to hear that, we have security screens on everything and deadlocks as well.What suburb are you in?
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #40
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

That sucks mate at least you have insurance although thats not going to bring back the photos you had.
I always lock my doors even car door when i'm driving can never be too safe nowadays too many scum around.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #41
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pure scum...imagine what you'd do to them if you caught them in the act, you'd have a field day!
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #42
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

+1 for the Vicious guard dog, This one works for my sisters place...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #43
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
At least it will bark and bark... :
Old 13-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #44
xquizd
Da Boss

Quote:
He'll have to loose the santa suit, he looks too cheerful. lol
Maybe a studded collar :evil3:
xquizd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #45
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquizd
What about that buIIsh1t law where the a55hoIe crim gets injured by the owners pet & they then sue the owner for damages, what kinda crap is that if don't want your a55 bitten off stay the hell out it's simple!!!
If you were to injured the thieves that broken into your house with a baseball
bat, mag light torch or your dog bite them they will sue you and you will be
liable for damages.

I have learn the lessons well myself the hard way as i have broken their legs
with the vacuum cleaner metal bar extension and the guy will be in wheel
chair for life.

This happen when i was living in Greenacre, as i get broken into at least
twice a mth, sometimes more but now i no longer live in that area anymore.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #46
wingTS

"but it doesnt hurt to be a little creative with your insurance claims if you know what I mean"

Comments like this are why we all pay higher premiums. If you overstate one item and are found to be lying you could risk your whole claim. You have done nothing wrong why risk it....
wingTS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #47
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

little bastard's around here put a big screwdriver or similar into gap at sliding glass door and pull,as they are safety glass they break like a windscreen and enter your house that you thought was safe with security screens and deadlocks , cop told us your neigbour wont here a thing,we have lived in St Kilda Elwood and Preston in the 80's now Hervey Bay (drug capitol of Queensland) and have never been burgled due to one thing," Bull Terrier", had to laugh at person who i know who put her fish tank on top of tv cabinet after i told her that its dangerous due to kids in front of TV while water cascades all around them running through 240 volts,did not listen i found out 2 weeks after discussing with another friend how they want new lounge and carpet the tank mysteriously breaks ruining everything, insurance had a clause about tanks have to be on proper fitted stand hahaha karma

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 14-01-2008 at 08:59 AM.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #48
Bax
Projecting

No good man sorry to hear it.

It's something I half expect to happen as the days go by. We're renting, big yard, no fence, no dog, no screens and those old type windows that don't close properly because they bend/warp with hot days.

Front and rear doors can be deadlocked and the front door is 90% of the time. Bars covering the two most accessible windows, but lattice and pipes make it easy to reach most of the other windows. All they need is a screwdriver to lever one open and they're in.

And then being told that the house we moved into has fingerprint dust everywhere.
Apparently the guy that was there before us had all his camping gear stolen while he was moving house - he left things in the shed and when he came back it was gone.

Same kids, young aboriginals from around the corner, apparently used to come under the house when noone was home, drink his beer, smoke his smokes and leave again.

And just the other day I noticed someone has used a screwdriver to try and pry open our back door. Thank god im only there another 2 months, then it's back home where you could leave the house unlocked and noone would do anything.. Left the car out the front one night with the keys in the ignition - no problems, windows down and all.

Mates live in brisbane in an apartment building, they live on the top floor with the manager and the developer, never lock their doors.. They really should, 3 plasmas, 3 xbox 360's. 3 laptops...
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #49
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have 2 golden retrievers but they would sooner lick you to death then bark at you lol...

never been broken into(except when i left my window half way down in my car and my wallet(EMPTY WALLET+smokes were nicked-bastards), and hopefully i never will
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #50
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by martO
Also clearly we will be updating our security, the cops say its not often they strike twice but we aren't risking it!
There's two alternatives here:

1) They don't break in again because they believe the householder has upgraded their security system since the break-in

2) They break in again, because they assume that the Plasma TV, DVD player, laptop, PS3, etc, have all been replaced with *brand new* items.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #51
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
There's two alternatives here:

1) They don't break in again because they believe the householder has upgraded their security system since the break-in

2) They break in again, because they assume that the Plasma TV, DVD player, laptop, PS3, etc, have all been replaced with *brand new* items.
Yep and unfortunately, as the saying goes if they want to get in they will. Whether we upgrade it to fort knox 2.0 or leave it.

The items stolen as said can be replaced so if it happens again then we'll just have to replace the stuff once more. The things of value to us aren't really worth anything to the dirty scum. If we do have any photos and stuff on the computers, they can't really offload them as they aren't worth much when they are hot, same with the LCD screens.

We have already started upgrading the security, but I urge others to do the same. If you sit there in denial or wait for it to happen to you, it will and it is bloody stressful and frustrating. Lets not let these **s make a living from our hard work! :
Old 14-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #52
martO
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingTS
"but it doesnt hurt to be a little creative with your insurance claims if you know what I mean"

Comments like this are why we all pay higher premiums. If you overstate one item and are found to be lying you could risk your whole claim. You have done nothing wrong why risk it....
Indeed, I don't want to risk not getting anything back at all for the sake of trying to get something out of the system. I know theres a chance you can get away with this. But really, I just want our original stuff back.

I remember waking up Saturday hoping it was a dream, then I look around at the mess and quickly come to grips with reality. Did I mention I'm still quite angry lol..

Thanks again for the comments guys.
Old 15-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #53
jack_crowley

You could install medeco (take hours and hours to pick even if you're a professional, an amateur could be at it for days) or abloy (very hard to pick) locks on all doors/accessible locks, install a rtb alarm system, security lights and install bars on your windows. Lockwood aren't the best locks available out there (to say the least)

If you wanted you could hook up a webcam with some webcam motion sensing software to take pictures of any movement in an area and upload the pictures to a server/e-mail it somewhere. That way if you're robbed when you're out and they take the PC/trash the PC you can always get those pics from the net and find the culprit.

You can even get smoke detectors/alarm clocks which have hidden cameras in them. or pinhole cameras, etc.

The only limit is the amount of cash you want to spend, and the looks of your house you may want to retain - i.e you may not like the look of bars on the windows.

Then again, they're probably just punks who don't know a thing about security, and just bash their way in with a brick or two when they find a lock in their way. These punks nowadays have no respect nor brains.
jack_crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #54
red_hotxr6
Banned

Medeco and abloy locks are a little over the top, that,s high security, but this idiot wont care about that as can be seen to the damage done to the car, he will just break in at the weakest point again if he/she wants it badly enough.
Old 15-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #55
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

been a couple of kids and adults killed in house fire this last year who could not get past the security of their own homes, sometimes you can be too paranoid, case in point,is friend of mine who's wife puts deadlock keys out of reach of her children as it annoys her when they go out door she wants closed,ive warned her several times that they need to be able to open door if emergency occurs, wont listen so what can one do.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #56
fastapasta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
Put up a sign "This house is protected by a SHOTGUN 4 days of the week, Guess which 4 days !"
then they break in when you are gone to try to steal the guns.

Also the police like easy targets like that instead of real criminals.

It's also illegal to say you own guns for self defence you have to say hunting or sport.

What suburb was it OP?
fastapasta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #57
fastapasta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviLkarL
Scum. If you find out who they are bud, drop me a message, i'd be glad to assist you in teaching them a lesson. Its really hard to steel stuff with broken bones.

Unless they bombed your house to the ground the legal bills arent worth it
Old 15-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #58
fastapasta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquizd
What about that buIIsh1t law where the a55hoIe crim gets injured by the owners pet & they then sue the owner for damages, what kinda crap is that if don't want your a55 bitten off stay the hell out it's simple!!!
it's the way law is . MOst lawyers and those studying law are leftwing and conspire to extort society.

Even prosecutors(aurukun) want light sentences so they reoffend and reoffend so they need h eaps of prosecutors to work. keeps business going for lawyers.
Old 15-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #59
fastapasta
Banned

Quote:
haha it might offend the more sensitive thieves
Old 15-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #60
fastapasta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
I have learn the lessons well myself the hard way as i have broken their legs
with the vacuum cleaner metal bar extension and the guy will be in wheel
chair for life.

This happen when i was living in Greenacre, as i get broken into at least
twice a mth, sometimes more but now i no longer live in that area anymore.
Did the crim's family or friends try to pay you back?