Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #31
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Way out west Sydney in a different shire (wollondilly) is where the most amount of deaths occur. I think in the paper they have a weekly section devoted to the crashes occuring lately. And surprise, no Falcons. The VL craze is everywhere people!
Clearly the solution is better education at a young age. However, at my school it's to the contrary. Teachers often help kids mod their commodores and its pretty well a school project sort of thing. I don't think teachers should really be helping kids make mods that make their car go faster. Not at 16 anyway.....

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #32
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrniceguy
Commodores are cheap, the V8's go pretty well and they are "trendy" amongst younger male drivers who are in the highest risk group for crashing anyway.
Also throw into the mix, that earlier model Commodores are somewhat compact compared to the Falcons of the 80s... V8 or the VL Turbo models " smaller car " with a " bigger/turbo engine " .. I can understand the appeal especially if you're on a limited budget.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #33
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef_classic
So true.
Or its " I like 'Nissan GTRs' hehehe "

:togo:

Sure, GT-R Skylines are a great car.. but Brian from 2 Fast 2 Furious isnt a reason to like them.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #34
TadKa
Wait? What?

Yeah I'm all for helping kids learn about cars but some in your face education is neccesary. I watched an US army doco about how they had a problem with servicemen thinking they were invincable. Whenever they had a deadly crash they would take the colleagues to the scene and show them. That was way too graphic. I Noticed the Aus Army has put on display outside a barracks a hsv that was involved in a fatal accident with serviceman. I think thats a good approach. Maybe something similar but not as gorey could travel to highschools. A car after a serious accident. not fatal but maybe someone who ended up in a wheelchair could talk to the 16-17 year olds.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #35
TadKa
Wait? What?

For what it's worth I just sent this to the ATSB. I'm sure a lot more needs to be done.

G'day,

I chat on a motoring forum and lately we have all been very concerned about the number of young people losing their lives on our roads.
We have all been trying to come up with better ideas for education. I've noticed that there is also a trend with serviceman having accidents
and the army has applied an initiative to display vehicles outside barracks that have been involved in fatal accidents.
So my idea is why not put a program together aimed at 16-17 year old that travels to highschools with a vehicle involved in a serious
(But probably not fatal as that would be too much) accident. You could also have a speaker that was involved/hurt in the accident to talk to the kids.
Another idea is to have a parent talk to the kids. Hopefully there is already similar programs around but I left school 7 years ago and I didn't go through
anything like that. We were spoken too about not jumping off piers because we might break our necks. But basically had our licences handed to us.

Thanks for Reading,

Steve Ktori
Old 18-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #36
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
Yeah I'm all for helping kids learn about cars but some in your face education is neccesary. I watched an US army doco about how they had a problem with servicemen thinking they were invincable. Whenever they had a deadly crash they would take the colleagues to the scene and show them. That was way too graphic. I Noticed the Aus Army has put on display outside a barracks a hsv that was involved in a fatal accident with serviceman. I think thats a good approach. Maybe something similar but not as gorey could travel to highschools. A car after a serious accident. not fatal but maybe someone who ended up in a wheelchair could talk to the 16-17 year olds.
Yeah, my school did that, then the fireies came round and cut open an old car and explained how mashed your head would look in a real accident.

Problem was I was off fishing that day.
Old 18-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #37
EDXR65SPEED

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...rom=public_rss

This is what the NAVY is doing.
Its outside Cerberus near Melbourne
EDXR65SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #38
TadKa
Wait? What?

ah its the Navy. I knew I seen it somewhere.
Old 18-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #39
TadKa
Wait? What?

Bonza I got a reply. Oh well, sound like they do that kind of thing anyway.

Your email has been automatically rejected by DOTARS as either Spam email or email containing profanity. If the email is genuine please notify the intended recipient.
Old 18-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #40
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
There was a news item the other day, 2 guys trapped in an upturned xr6, so i wouldnt be to specific on vehicle types. Im fairly Ford oriented,but it takes all kinds.
OK, for every one ford related accident there are at least 6 holden related accidents. Usually young guys, thinking they have got the fastest car in australia.And [sorry cant remember who posted the remark, but i agree, when i see these early model falcons, usually, the vn up, i just get to the left lane quickly cause they are on a mercy dash..to god knows where..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #41
ef_classic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
I Noticed the Aus Army has put on display outside a barracks a hsv that was involved in a fatal accident with serviceman.
At my school, vicroads and the local police held an information night.

They offered to show pictures of very graphic crash fatalities.
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #42
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

The reason Commodores burn is because the fuel pumps keep running after crashes. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out...Split fuel lines, hot metal (or some other ignition source), pump still running caboom !!!
Unfortunately I have seen this occur working as a paramedic and am aware of pumps running after crashes due to also being a qualified mechanic.
Dont buy a commodore...
NGN 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #43
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngn351
The reason Commodores burn is because the fuel pumps keep running after crashes. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out...Split fuel lines, hot metal (or some other ignition source), pump still running caboom !!!
Unfortunately I have seen this occur working as a paramedic and am aware of pumps running after crashes due to also being a qualified mechanic.
Dont buy a commodore...
Thats interesting. do many cars do that? I guess its just older models (with mechanical pumps?) but there has been quite a few lately that have been totally incinerated. Quite horrific crashes though.
Old 19-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #44
ebgli
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Holdens are cheaper, bogans have less money; natural selection?
Holdens are cheaper? oooooookkkkkkkkkk captain no clue.
ebgli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #45
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Holdens are more popular with younger people than Fords, therefore Holdens are more likely to be involved in big accidents.

'Dumb bogans and fully sick wogs in Holdens' arent what they are because of their Holden, theyd still be 'dumb bogans and fully sick wogs' in Fords, Toyotas etc

As the years go on, with Fords resurgence in popularity with the younger crowd (as well as Toyota to an extent) well see a different spread of vehicles involved in carnage.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #46
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
Holdens are more popular with younger people than Fords, therefore Holdens are more likely to be involved in big accidents.

'Dumb bogans and fully sick wogs in Holdens' arent what they are because of their Holden, theyd still be 'dumb bogans and fully sick wogs' in Fords, Toyotas etc

As the years go on, with Fords resurgence in popularity with the younger crowd (as well as Toyota to an extent) well see a different spread of vehicles involved in carnage.
But there must be something that attracts mentally deranged people to Commodores??

I've only let a Holden fan drive my car once because I was on the and he was sober. Somehow he managed to hit the kerb on a roundabout and destroy my tyre and rim. FFS I paddock bash drifting around corners so drunk I can't see the steering wheel but have never hit anything.

I was in an argument with one of my bosses just before because he was convinced that all Falcons up to BA has leaf springs. :

Let me put it this way ALL my mates with Commodores have crashed while NONE of my mates with Falcons have crashed. I can't explain why it happens beyond Commodores being hopeless cars with hopeless drivers.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford

Just wait, they're moving to fully sick BA turbo's.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #48
Bobman
Regulator

Not just wogs but there are a large number of Arab folk who are getting around in XR6T and FPV Typhoons now.

It's just like the old VL Turbo days.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #49
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Not just wogs but there are a large number of Arab folk who are getting around in XR6T and FPV Typhoons now.

It's just like the old VL Turbo days.
Well that sucks. The "fully sick" VL is a funny stereotype I don't want the XR6 to become one.

Guess I will buy an XR8 instead
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #50
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Dealing with a hoon? Make em see this (warning):-

**Removed**

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 19-12-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Too graphic for a family site.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #51
ltd
Force Fed Fords

**removed**

That's messed up keepleft. Surely some of the guys who work/ed in emergency services could lay testament to some of that gore. It does work too, I remember a mate who was always doing burnouts, racing, dangerous stuff and he saw a St John first aid thing with the old Fairlane and the tree down past Kiama way, the head on with the truck etc. He threw up his lunch and drove home at 40kmh in a 70 zone. Since then, he drives responsibly and hasn't lost a point on his licence. That was 16 years ago so it must work. Even when I ask him about it now he says that the video changed his attitude to driving for the better.

Quote: