Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #31
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure that position was filled a while ago look in there currant work area and they put the young fella to work on the wagon
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #32
XR8Master

Apprentices suck ?

I know a person in the Construction Industry who employs 1 Tradesman and 2 apprentices as his Total work force and they earn him over $400 000 a year while he regularly verbally abuses them and has his employees so brainwashed that they believe he earns less money then his workers on $13/h while they almost sweet themselves almost to tears every day while the boss is at home counting the gold.

This particular person knows he can manipulate apprentices/young people for his advantage thus why he has been successfully doing it for decades.

How many other apprentices are exploited as labouring Cash Cows only to end there miserable 5 years with minimal pay only to come out with no skills ?
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #33
Scott

^^ You don't mean he's trying to profit off their sweat and hardwork do you!?! The bloody scoundrel.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #34
juve_fan14

I think some people don't know squat here, im 18 and haven't had a job yet because of the wages for young people, and everyone here whose mentioned give an "inexperienced yada yada yada LOTS OF MONEY" couldnt be more wrong, my sister gets $9 an hour and shes 18, best mate gets $11 for workiing night shift and hes 18 aswell another gets $5 an hour and hes a machanic 17 years old etc, so you guys who are experienced do as much work as us young people except we get a fraction of your pay, and good old work experience where we get 5 dollars for 8 hours of hard work!!!

juve_fan14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #35
Scott

edit - meh.
Old 16-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #36
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve_fan14
I think some people don't know squat here, im 18 and haven't had a job yet because of the wages for young people, and everyone here whose mentioned give an "inexperienced yada yada yada LOTS OF MONEY" couldnt be more wrong, my sister gets $9 an hour and shes 18, best mate gets $11 for workiing night shift and hes 18 aswell another gets $5 an hour and hes a machanic 17 years old etc, so you guys who are experienced do as much work as us young people except we get a fraction of your pay, and good old work experience where we get 5 dollars for 8 hours of hard work!!!
cry me a river!!

you've summed up the attitude of today's young people perfectly.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #37
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

aprenticeships pay crap all for the first 2 years (usually under $350 a week), then you start to earn some decent money (400+ a week).

however the skills you learn (if you have the right teachers) will make you a LOT of money in the long run.

take my dad for example, age 16, earning $90 a week as a 1st year aprentice mechanic, look at him now, age 41, currently doing a job making $60,000 a year + benefits, and in december, he starts a new job a job bringing in 6 figure sums.
makes it all worth it in the end doesnt it?
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 01:40 AM   #38
rodderz

have to crawl before you can walk

I started off doing crappy jobs, picking up stuff, mixing mortar etc, on the wheelbarrow or broom all day, but it's necessary in my opinion as it teaches you what is required to finish a job off besides the skilled side of things. Good labouring is just as important as the guy doing the skilled work, he/she has to be supplied with the materials and at a pace which the job runs smoothly and effectively.

Short story- my last job a guy was hired and was put into a foreman position with not much experience (besides opening his mouth too often) and as a result didnt know the full extent of what is required to do a job successfully- as he didnt start down the ladder and learn the whole system.

Apprentice wages aren't huge- but most times are youngins at an age with not much debt, it gives them an incentive to work towards a higher rate and qualification. Plus the fact that they are young and need training in not only the job but responsibility and life experience that also comes with age. I can juut about guarantee any employer who is happy with his employee or apprentice, will reward them with extra $$ or etc so often anyway
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #39
juve_fan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
cry me a river!!

you've summed up the attitude of today's young people perfectly.
It's easy to sit there and say its nothing but you try working for 250 a week, ohh and aren't teachers striking while us yr 12s are still doing our exams, since young people don't I'm glad somone has the right attitude!:rolleyes:

rodderz, im glad you're a little more open minded and have reasoning behind your post

Last edited by juve_fan14; 16-11-2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old 16-11-2007, 02:25 AM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
It's easy to sit there and say its nothing but you try working for 250 a week, ohh and aren't teachers striking while us yr 12s are still doing our exams, since young people don't I'm glad somone has the right attitude!:rolleyes:

you're preaching to the wrong person here dude. I started work when i was 17 on $4.70/hour. i was an assistant (offsider) for 2 years before i got offered an apprenticeship. 13yrs later I'm still there and making more than 7 times the money. young kids these days don't know how to stick at something. even if they're prepared to climb the ladder, they want to go 2 steps at a time.

sure its not a lot of money when you start out but it teaches very valuable life lessons, like budgeting and living within your means.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #41
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
you're preaching to the wrong person here dude. I started work when i was 17 on $4.70/hour. i was an assistant (offsider) for 2 years before i got offered an apprenticeship. 13yrs later I'm still there and making more than 7 times the money. young kids these days don't know how to stick at something. even if they're prepared to climb the ladder, they want to go 2 steps at a time.

sure its not a lot of money when you start out but it teaches very valuable life lessons, like budgeting and living within your means.
Too bloody true prydey!.. I have 14 tradesmen & 2 apprentices (both 4th yr and on around $19.50 per hr +O/T)
Anyhow, one of our "in-house rules" is that no 2 people who work in similar areas can have leave (annual or RDO's) at the same time. One apprentice is on 2 weeks leave, and the other wanted a week off at the same time. Last week when I refused his leave, he walked out in a huff and hasn't been back.. and refuses to answer calls to home or mobile.
We took this guy on in his 2nd year from a high profile V8 supercar workshop, (you'd think, every kids dream job?) where he'd also walked out in virtually identical fashion!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Too bloody true prydey!.. I have 14 tradesmen & 2 apprentices (both 4th yr and on around $19.50 per hr +O/T)
Anyhow, one of our "in-house rules" is that no 2 people who work in similar areas can have leave (annual or RDO's) at the same time. One apprentice is on 2 weeks leave, and the other wanted a week off at the same time. Last week when I refused his leave, he walked out in a huff and hasn't been back.. and refuses to answer calls to home or mobile.
We took this guy on in his 2nd year from a high profile V8 supercar workshop, (you'd think, every kids dream job?) where he'd also walked out in virtually identical fashion!
Ive had exactly the same thing happen to me, we had the same rules for A/L.. only 1 at a time off, and leave to be approved before they take off, one of the young guys wanted a week off to go away with his mates with only 5 days notice while his mgr was also on A/L and we said no (because it would have left us extremely short staffed), he arced up, and took off anyway.. i.e he abandoned his employment.

Old 16-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #43
swapper

for the record im 23, just so you know where my viewpoint is coming from.
do you guys think that the idea of "young people's attitude is terrible these days" is a new thing?

I don't think so, every generation thinks that. when you guys were young, guess what, older guys said the same thing about you!!!

but honestly I think most kids have a pretty good attitude, of course there are some with really attitudes, but that's no different to previous generations, and also some of the "older" guys today.

it also doesn't help when everyone paints us young guys with the same stereotype.......if I am constantly treated like I am typical young guy with a crap attitude, guess what....I will act accordingly, because I will get sick of not getting any respect......just because people are young, and relatively inexperienced, it doesn't mean we deserve any less respect.

im lucky that I work in a great company that have been great to me and my career, I started out as a junior member of the team (although I did have a couple of years experience) and as I learned I gradually evolved into a senior member, although I haven't got the experience or knowledge of some of the guys that have been doing it for 20+ years, they treat me as an equal and give me respect, and I continue to learn so much every week. they listen to my opinions and trust me with my work.

and those 2 examples of kids taking off ****ed because they weren't given leave, I agree they obviously didn't have the right attitude. but I could give you plenty of example where people with 15+ years in the industry have done things just as stupid.....its not just a phenomenon related to age.

my point is, most kids are good kids and willing to work hard, but they needed to be given respect and some decent work keep them sweeping floors and it will go both ways, they will lose respect for you and you will lose all respect for them, if they don't care, their attitude will also fall apart. (im not accusing people here of not doing so, just offering my opinion on what I have noticed in some workforces)

anyway sorry about that essay length post, but just trying to offer my viewpoint

Last edited by swapper; 16-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.
swapper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #44
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see where swapper is coming from

I have had no problems with the apprentices I have chosen but there have been some over the last 20 odd years who need an attitude adjustment .
Its not just young people ive had older tradesmen who are pretty much useless.
At the moment I have only one apprentice that needs to change their ways and a few older employees who need some assistance guidance that I am not qualified to provide (counselling ,psychotherapyetc).

I have noticed people who have smoked lots of drugs taken party drugs to be a real pain and waste a lot of work time and are tottally delussional about their capabilities and abilities and oblivious to their lack of memory .

Last edited by paule11; 16-11-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: more stuff
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #45
tolzero

To all the young people in this thread crying poor, if you don't want to go to a tertiary ed position (see bludge for a few more years ) join one of the Defence Force's.
I got paid a motza for learning a electronics trade and was treated like an adult straight out of training ie. heaps of responsibilities. And you get to give a little back to the country that you love so much.
Just make sure the future training down the track you get is streamlining you into what you want to do when you get out.
So put up or shut up, stand up you little men and join at 16 you liitle whinging EMO ( see I'm so HARD done by) kids, do 10 years and when your out at 26 you will have money in the bank and you will be able to wipe your own a..., and have a lot better appreciation of this whole thing called life
tolzero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #46
Scott

Quote:
: Try getting an apprenticeship in a recession let alone any other job. Take your medicine, take a job on the bottom rung with it's bottom rung pay and do your time. The reason so many people think our youth are lazy is that there has never been more jobs available and therefore never been a worse time to comeup with excuses not to work.

Your attitude is terrible..... won't work because it doesn't pay enough...... 18 and never had a job. Get of your you lazy little bastard.
Old 16-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #47
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapper
for the record im 23, just so you know where my viewpoint is coming from.
do you guys think that the idea of "young people attitude is terrible these days" is a new thing?

I don't think so, every generation thinks that. when you guys were young, guess what, older guys said the same thing about you!!!

but honestly I think most kids have a pretty good attitude, of course there are some with really attitudes, but that's no different to previous generations, and also some of the "older" guys today.

it also doesn't help when everyone paints us young guys with the same stereotype.......if I am constantly treated like I am typical young guy with a crap attitude, guess what....I will act accordingly, because I will get sick of not getting any respect......just because people are young, and relatively inexperienced, it doesn't mean we deserve any less respect.

im lucky that I work in a great company that have been great to me and my career, I started out as a junior member of the team (although I did have a couple of years experience) and as I learned I gradually evolved into a senior member, although I haven't got the experience or knowledge of some of the guys that have been doing it for 20+ years, they treat me as an equal and give me respect, and I continue to learn so much every week. they listen to my opinions and trust me with my work.

and those 2 examples of kids taking off ****ed because they weren't given leave, I agree they obviously didn't have the right attitude. but I could give you plenty of example where people with 15+ years in the industry have done things just as stupid.....its not just a phenomenon related to age.

my point is, most kids are good kids and willing to work hard, but they needed to be given respect and some decent work keep them sweeping floors and it will go both ways, they will lose respect for you and you will lose all respect for them, if they don't care, their attitude will also fall apart. (im not accusing people here of not doing so, just offering my opinion on what I have noticed in some workforces)

anyway sorry about that essay length post, but just trying to offer my viewpoint

Good post swapper.. and well said! (want a job?)

Whilst agreeing with most of your comments, I do however think that apprentice's attitudes today are vastly different from years gone by?
Not wanting to give you the old.. "When I was a boy" crap, but honestly the respect for authority, respect shown to the tradesmen who were also your tutors, and general work ethic is worlds apart from my days as an apprentice!
Everyone was "sir", (I think jockeys are the only ones still using this?)
The monetary part of being a lowly apprentice was secondary to knowing you were establishing a career and a future.
Productivity was ALSO secondary to actually learning your craft carefully & correctly.
You ARE correct that we should not be blaming todays youth though!
More like the employment & training system and probably, societies attitude in general.
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 16-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #48
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
: Try getting an apprenticeship in a recession let alone any other job. Take your medicine, take a job on the bottom rung with it's bottom rung pay and do your time. The reason so many people think our youth are lazy is that there has never been more jobs available and therefore never been a worse time to comeup with excuses not to work.

Your attitude is terrible..... won't work because it doesn't pay enough...... 18 and never had a job. Get of your you lazy little bastard.
You see thats the real issue GTP006. They dont care if they walk out of a job as there are too many jobs available now days. In past years jobs were much harder to come by so you had the thought process of "i had better knuckle down if I want to earn some big bucks"

I also agree with tolzero, this is best way to get a trade these days. Big pay straight out of the box for apprentices.

P.S my first job was paid at the fantastic rate of $4.20 per hour making clothes hangers. I know what it was like.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #49
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPhoon

P.S my first job was paid at the fantastic rate of $4.20 per hour making clothes hangers. I know what it was like.
Millionaire BLKPhoon!!........... Mine was $26.75 (less $1.75 tax, clearing $25.00) for a 40hr week! What's that 66c per hr?
Mind you 1/2 dozen VB cans were only $1.50 too!
Old 16-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #50
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Well I agree with both sides it can be hard at times but its not impossible. I'm 20 years old now and have had around 5 different jobs mostly labouring type work but for the past three years now work I have been a technician for a large telco.

Over my few years I have realised you really have to earn respect by proving that you're commited and reliable and most of all willing to learn and this is each time you change job/work team etc.

You only get out what you put in!
Old 16-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #51
irlewy86
Meep Meep

To all the old boys having a little rant. Most of the older generation come from "the baby boomer generation". Now if I look back to the 60's and 70's, what do I find mmmmmmm hippies and slackers. The youth of today are no different to the youth of your day the only thing thats changed is YOU!
Old 16-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #52
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
To all the old boys having a little rant. Most of the older generation come from "the baby boomer generation". Now if I look back to the 60's and 70's, what do I find mmmmmmm hippies and slackers. The youth of today are no different to the youth of your day the only thing thats changed is YOU!
Whatcha talking about irlewy??

Old 16-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #53
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive had exactly the same thing happen to me, we had the same rules for A/L.. only 1 at a time off, and leave to be approved before they take off, one of the young guys wanted a week off to go away with his mates with only 5 days notice while his mgr was also on A/L and we said no (because it would have left us extremely short staffed), he arced up, and took off anyway.. i.e he abandoned his employment.
Maybe the problem is the rule
Too many bloody rules in this life..
Ive done this my whole working life,It is my labour and I only have to offer it if I want too,whenever Ive wanted time off I take it,and generally I dont give notice,
funnily Ive never been sacked from a job for it,I must have been doing something right the rest of the time..
My longest AWOL has been 6 months :
And I was taken back as if I had never left,

I subcontract now but still work the same way,Im off for a week up north tomorrow,total notice given too developer was a week :
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #54
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

myself i started work at 13 after school and weekends had a crap job $4 something an hour 2 weeks into job i got put up to the same rate aas my father 11.50 busted my and got paid for it ya gotta start somewhere but there aint to many young ones with that kinda go about them . some yes its the individual some want it some dont . best thing for the donts is let them go . I am well in the 6 figure pay now so for any that are gunna dispute this issue your a dont ! for the 1s busting their bum keep going its worth it!
Old 16-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Maybe the problem is the rule
Too many bloody rules in this life..
Ive done this my whole working life,It is my labour and I only have to offer it if I want too,whenever Ive wanted time off I take it,and generally I dont give notice,
funnily Ive never been sacked from a job for it,I must have been doing something right the rest of the time..
My longest AWOL has been 6 months :
And I was taken back as if I had never left,

I subcontract now but still work the same way,Im off for a week up north tomorrow,total notice given too developer was a week :
That's the beauty of contract work or being self employed! Work your own hours!

I don't now too many small businesses who are doing that well off that they can afford for staff to come and go at their own leisure these days..
Running a small business that rely's on staff turning upto work to be able to service and manufacture customer's orders on time in order to make enough money to pay the wages and bills AND keep the customer happy is different, an unexpected "one down" in a small business employing under 10 workers has a much larger impact than being "one down" in a business employing over 100..
I know many businesses who close for 4 weeks at xmas, so everyone has to use their leave over the close down..

Old 16-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #56
juve_fan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006

Kinda contradict yourself, if there's so many jobs then employers should up their wages and give us a decent pay, you'd think so anyway, its good though that experienced people at the top of the chain pay aprentices little money so you can pocket of em, and everyone whose saying "i earned this much or that much when i was young" please don't, the dollar was different then, like 'charliewool' said with beer, our economy is booming and the dollar is at an all time high but all some of you guys do is complain about how much we complain about our pay.

I talked to my mates mum a couple weeks ago about this and she's had plenty of jobs and she was appalled at how much we get these days.

And about the lazy *** bit, i had a part time sort of think when i was 10 so my family would earn enough to get here, come to my house me and the old man did the floors in the whole house, made tables, big TV tray, shed, work station in garage you name it, and i guess i been to busy studying, so i can have a really nice job one day, to get a part time job. Oh and yeah don't mention that to get the nice job i'll have to start at the bottom.

And don't get me wrong i think a lot of the older folks are good employers, just not ones that complain about young people. If you dont like the way young people work, don't employ them, we can find plenty of work where we will be respected!

Last edited by juve_fan14; 16-11-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 16-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #57
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think anyone is really complaining as such about "young people".. im not.. more acknowledging that they're "green" so to speak.
Training an apprentice (or any young fresh to the workforce employee) can be a time consuming job, especially early on, where in all honesty it slows down the productivity of the "trainer"....
The lowish wages are to offset some of the cost associated with training and the loss of productivity.
Depending on the trade it would be some time into an apprenticeship before the apprentice (or young worker) would be of any invoicable value id say... and they certianly wouldnt be performing any overly technical or difficult tasks..
Good apprentices have good trainers.. and smart business owners are happy to invest their efforts with people willing to learn, the rewards work both ways later on when the apprentice finishes and become a well qualified valuable asset and the business owner gains an experienced quality employee.