Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #31
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Default Re: What car shouldnt you have sold?

Name of the car you regret selling: 1987 Ford Telstar

Particular mods: Stereo: 6's up front, 6x9s up back, nothing else because I was a broke student. Trust me, I DID NOT put a poxy cannon exhaust on it.

Price sold (and when): $850 (October 2010) I only paid $750 for it.

Why did you regret?

Because it was my first car, it was dependable, fuel efficient and I saved all my money (in late 2009/early 2010) to buy it and to pay for the stereo I put in it.
I took good care of it, cleaned it regularly, I spent hours tidying it up and I tuned the engine really well. It ran surprisingly smooth for a 4 cylinder.
It was nothing special, the rear windows only wound down about half way (and the rubber seals came with them), it needed a new carby or a carby resto kit as it had throttle lag (accelerator pump on those carbs dried up - common fault).
I sold it to someone I knew and I expected him to take really good care of it, instead I see him pulling skids in it, driving around with the car packed full of bogans and it looks like poo now. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at the wreckers one of these days... I may just rescue it if that were the case.
The Telstar was an ugly car to begin with but I loved it and it treated me well, I was so proud to own my own car.
Old 31-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #32
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh and if anyone knows of a blue/white john goss special with "mistress" on the boot can you give me a pm. would love to know she's still givin someone joy.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1971 VH Charger of course...I bought it in 1982 when I was 17 for $1800, and traded it on...god forgive me...a gold 1976 Holden Sunbird...with the black Opel four cylinder and automatic...
265 Hemi, factory four speed, 14" jelly bean mags, twin system. Engine had a 500 Holley (later a four barrel), E49-type extractors, head work, E49 grind cam, and high volume oil pump...and that was about it. A dyno test calculated 270hp at the flywheel...interestingly the same as our new G6E...and did it drink the juice! I was blowing over $50 a week in fuel, when super was only 36 cents a liter, just running around town, racing outside town, and giving it the berries away from the traffic lights that used to line Bundabergs main street against other guys. Fifty bucks doesn't sound like much? Keep in mind this was 1982 to late 1983 I owned it, and I was only taking home $160 a week from a farm where I worked...

i miss that damn car every single day...and still swear that I will own another one one day...even if it means getting rid of my beloved 1974 Kawasaki H2-750 two stroke triple to get it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #34
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my manual vp commodore that was going to be my burnout car, why did i sell it? i was sick of mum hassling me to get it out of the back yard, my mate payed 2200 for it, 3 months later sold it to me for $150, i then sold it for $900, i miss that old girl
Old 31-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #35
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My AU, supercharged 6 with 3.9 lsd and a shagged auto. Foot flat to the floor it would free rev for a second or 2 changing from first to second, made for some fun sideways action. 2 years of it being flogged and the auto never died or got worse, loved it the way it was. Moved town and job, lost my company car and it was way to thirsty to drive daily so traded it on the XR8 but wish I kept it just for weekends.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #36
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my partner ( before I met her) was offered an XC cobra for 5K from a guy pretty much giving everything away so his EX wife didn't get it. this was about 10 years ago and she knocked it back because she didn't like the colour . I still haven't let her live it down. I from what she told me it was genuine with build number and all

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #37
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also use to have an RA60 Celica coupe, it only had a mild cam and some head work but it used to get up and go, would love to get another one day and drop a 1uzfe in it.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #38
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

My E49 Charger. Sold it to Biante for 40k just before things went stupid in the muscle car market, it only had 39,200 miles on it and was in show winning condition, fantastic car to drive hard. But at the time it paid my first hosue off and got me into my second house which I made 180k on in 3 years so.... Swings and roundabouts... But, driving it was the best bit, purest thing I have driven apart from a 911.

How's that for a 100% stock engine bay... Gee I miss those Webers snorting and snarling as you get on and off the throttle, almost proper European sports car in that regard. It handled okay to a point, brakes best forgotten about :-) But pure sports car in some ways that all the V8 muscle cars just weren't.

Last edited by mcnews; 31-03-2011 at 10:36 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #39
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i was 15 My old boy bought a car that he intended to do up with me learning bits and pieces about how the car worked along the way.
We painted it, retrimmed interior, tidied it up, and dad said i could have it as my 1st car when i got my license.
I couldn't wait though, and used to drive it round the suburbs after school when parents weren't home. A school teacher saw me 1 day, rang dad, he went birko, and promptly sold the car.
A ZC Fairlane 351...

Bought a 72 falcon 500 hardtop with 302 for $1500, complete running in 2002, stripped it, repaired rust, fitted 9 inch housing, then ran out of money (only spent couple hundred on it but i was 2nd year apprentice at the time)
Sold that in pieces for $1500 a year later!
Would have easily been worth $20k today...
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #40
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

I should have kept 2 cars from my past
A Mint XC Fairmont GXL 351...beautifull car and clean as..bought in 1990 for 4000 and sold in 1993 for 5000 ...
A HQ monaro -- car was a gift from my mum in 1989, great car, clean and stock as the day it came out ... I sold it in 1990 for 4000 tio get the fairmont above..

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #41
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My AUIII XR6 VCT, it would have had 200,000 + kms on it by now but I would have saved a lot of money!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #42
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

First one is my second car...

1969 Datsun 1600 fitted with an N/A FJ-20 DOHC early Motec injected motor. 14" Minilites with 4.1's in the back. I had no idea... stupid.

Second one...

My BA XR6 Turbo fitted with a Nizpro Stage 2 kit, swapped the T5 for a T56 and Mal Wood clutch, big brakes and 20's. I sold as at the time I just couldn't justify spending anymore money on it... I've since had 2 cars since then and with the amount of money I've since lost and will lose on those 2 cars I should've just kept it and gone to town on it

But you live and learn... hopefully.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #43
GTP-03

sheesh, here goes
xc 351 gxl
xr fairmont 289
xb continental coupe
xa 460 ci coupe
xy gt replica geniune parts
xe esp 6 cyl 4 speed
ba gtp fully optioned
xa trophy winning car 302w
oh and i also regret selling my datsun 1600 lol
jus got bored of them and sold most of em, sure wish i still had the xa coupe though
Old 31-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #44
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I regret selling my 98 EL GLi….Pov pack, bog standard.

Was a great car and are still my favourite Falcon model. Used to go hard for a std car too…even gave my XR6 a good smacking before I got rid of it.

Lots of good memories, first 'new' car I ever bought, first car I nailed a chick in, first car I chucked a proper skid in

Sold it for $3000 in 2007….Regret it to this day.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #45
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
wow, almost the same as the charger i had. it was the uglier VJ model, but same diaper brown (i repainted it red with a starsky white stripe). sold it due to massive rust in belly and it'd been hit hard in the rear quarters, so it had a heavy load of filler. i don't really regret selling it, but it was a cool car.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #46
fordv8!

Red face Re: What car shouldnt you have sold?

My xr8 sprint auto Polly green was a great car still makes me sad that the bloke I sold it to smashed her up and didn't respect
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #47
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

My AUII XL SE ute.

Would've been outta car debt nearly 4 years ago.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #48
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I forgot to add my old T3 TE50 manual in silhouette black, I miss that car every day, but selling it did get me into my own house. Now I have had the house for a couple of years its time to start saving for another TE/TS50.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship

Last edited by Grippy; 31-03-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #49
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
I forgot to add my old T3 TE50 manual in silhouette black, I miss that car every day, but selling it did get me into my own house. Now I have had the house for a couple of years its time to start saving for another TE/TS50.

NICE!!!

Was never much of a fan of the AU bar the Fairlane/LTD but the T series always took my eye (and still do...) when I saw them out on the road.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #50
sanchoXB

Should have kept my first car, 1972 Valiant Galant, 75'000 original miles,also had a really nice XY Fairmont Wagon, 302 auto, sold it just before the muscle car boom a few years ago. Now its worth about 3 times what I sold it for.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #51
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My first car was a 1971 GT Capri. Modded with a warm 2.0L OHC Corty motor & 4 speed. Nothing special but I loved it.

Paid $300 for it in 1987 (rolling & complete minus motor & box). Rebuilt it, put a 302 W & C4 in it, back to the 2.0 again, then blew the engine & sold it in 1993 for $300.

I knew that car inside & out. No rust, great fun, and now look what they are bringing.
Old 31-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #52
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chev Impala SS coupe .. sold it because it was too nice (!?) and I didn't want to muck with it

I also very much regret selling:
XB GS coupe (Mulberry)
VH 770 Changer
:(
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #53
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

First; 2001 AU2 Fairmont Ghia V8. Fully optioned.

Second; 1996 EL Fairmont Ghia V8.

Probably miss the EL more. I love the EL's. As my sig suggests, I WILL buy another one some time in the future.
Old 31-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #54
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Probably miss the EL more. I love the EL's. As my sig suggests, I WILL buy another one some time in the future.
Damn .. I saw a really neat EL Fairmont V8 parked up the road from my parents for sale a couple of days ago (dark blue, dark tint, lowered). I too thought it was real neat but didn't jot down the number. I'll ask them to keep and eye out for it ..
Edit: opps just noticed the specific colour requirement ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #55
Falcman0o7
Banned

Should never have sold the XW or ESP! XW 500 in 96 ESP 800 in 06
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #56
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every car I've ever sold was sold because it's replacement was far superior and the changeover price was reasonable.

None had any sentimental value that has carried through to this day.

If I regret selling any of them now the reasons are purely financial . I traded my XA Coupe in for around $5,000 and my GXL in for $3,000 . At the time I traded them they were not far off falling apart but probably worth 10x as much today as they were then.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

ZG Fairlane 351, 9" diff with 3.25:1 gears.
I did a full dash and instrument panel change from a wrecked GT Falcon.
At the time, I switched out the mph speedo on the GT dash for one in kph,
someone told me later that it might have been an RPO 83 instrument panel....

Water under the bridge, we had great times together.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #58
whitesoarer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
My 1987 R31 Nissan Skyline Silhouette 5 speed. It was in far too good nick to trade in, you live and learn I guess
I regret selling my R31 Exec. It was an October 1990 build so one of the last ones off the production line, and in excellent condition for it's age. Went pretty hard for what it was! Only sold it cos I needed money to buy a house.

whitesoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #59
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

such a great thread idea and great posts, no *** fight and no lock.. hard to believe we're 2 pages into a HULK thread.

1993 Fairmont V8, sunroof, LPG, low as hell and sounded great. Sold for $3000 in 2008 and surfaced again last year in this forum when another member coincidently bought it as a wreck with a conrod thru the sump. Small world, sad moment.

Most lamented car not sold but rear ended by a speeding teen was my humble BA XR8 with leather, sunroof, premo, CAI.. I'd swap my spankin FG XR6 for this 7yr old beast in a heartbeat :(

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #60
rosco426
Charger Lovin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
My E49 Charger. Sold it to Biante for 40k just before things went stupid in the muscle car market, it only had 39,200 miles on it and was in show winning condition, fantastic car to drive hard. But at the time it paid my first hosue off and got me into my second house which I made 180k on in 3 years so.... Swings and roundabouts... But, driving it was the best bit, purest thing I have driven apart from a 911.

How's that for a 100% stock engine bay... Gee I miss those Webers snorting and snarling as you get on and off the throttle, almost proper European sports car in that regard. It handled okay to a point, brakes best forgotten about :-) But pure sports car in some ways that all the V8 muscle cars just weren't.

Your grille was painted wrong

Easily the best car mentioned here.
rosco426 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post