Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #31
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
there needs to be a bit of give and take. i think if a pub wants to allow people to smoke within its premises it should have adequate ventilation. you cant just say if you dont like smoking stay away from your local pub or any public place for that matter. why shouldnt smokers stay away? well thats unfair on them. ive been to pubs with vents that continually suck air from the rooms and they are great, people can smoke and i dont inhale it. unfortunatly these pubs arnt exactly close to me.

and considering how much money the pubs in my area make each night they can afford it.

That is totally correct, there should be and I would believe there is adequate ventilation in pubs...

When I smoked, I actually would walk away from people that didn't smoke.. But being me I used to say it was because I had to pay so much for something I was burning up and inhaling, I wasn't prepared to share it with them unless they wanted to share the cost.. (I was only joking)...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #32
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I used to smoke up until december last year. Gave it up cold turkey overnight after smoking 16's. I want to smoke after seeing these adds to be honest at times I miss it.

Plus why dont we put graphic images on junk food because of the ever increasing girth of the populatation. They say it is at epidemic levels. Everyone is calling for action but I have seen very little except for the odd tuckshop not serving some food but not soft drink.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #33
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
In my view, you don't like it keep away from it. I personally think it is stupid to ban it from pubs etc...
Sheer brilliance!! So what you're saying is that if us non-smokers choose to have a drink with friends etc we should just stay home, so as not to interfere with the rights of smokers? Here's a fact for you - in 2004 the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare estimated that 17.4 per cent of people aged 14 years and over smoked daily. Lets allow a few percent for those who only smoke socially - I'll exaggerate and give you up to 25% of all people. Now if you think that 75% of the population is going to make allowances for the other 25% you are sadly mistaken.
If smokers choose to shorten their lives and cause a number of other things to themselves then that's their business. But when they start inflicting their habit on other people, I have a problem with it. Seriously, how hard is it for you to go outside or into a seperate room/area to have a smoke?
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #34
mustang

watch the latest top gear it has the best substitute

WWW.QLDSTREETSCENE.COM/
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #35
F6 Turbo

The more people that smoke and kill themselves, the more revenue the government makes to ensure my roads are kept in good order, and my trains run on time.

Keep on smoking people, for the above reasons, and also, if you die earlier, I don't have to fork out the money for pension payments.

I say if you're stupid enough to smoke in the first place, and don't have the guts to give up and realise that putting that into your body is stupid, then you deserve everything you get.

Laminge, do you realise that by smoking and inevitably giving yourself cancer, you are probably just creating a longer line of family medical problems for your future generations?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 02:44 AM   #36
OXR60W
Waz

I'm a smoker, about 15 years now. Obviously it ain't good for the body. I don't think its a case of seeing or hearing something that will make me give up, its waiting till i'm ready to, which is getting close.

Of all my family and friends, i've never known ( so far ) anyone getting sick/dying etc from smoking. Obviously one day it will happen.

What i do see, daily, is alcohol being detrimental to family/friends. Whether it be gambling the grocery money away, arguing with the better half which includes serious aggression. Or to the more serious stuff, assault. A friend was locked up again the other day for assault because he can't handle his booze ( just got out of jail for the same thing ).

So i reckon ban alcohol and smoking.
OXR60W is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 06:18 AM   #37
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

i smoke but mainly at work or social gatherings, i try to avoid smoking near children and elderly people and also away from doorways, don't smoke in my car because of my daughter and i might have 1 or 2 smokes over the weekend if i'm sitting at home but i change me clothes and wash my hands before handling my daughter
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #38
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Sheer brilliance!! So what you're saying is that if us non-smokers choose to have a drink with friends etc we should just stay home, so as not to interfere with the rights of smokers? Here's a fact for you - in 2004 the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare estimated that 17.4 per cent of people aged 14 years and over smoked daily. Lets allow a few percent for those who only smoke socially - I'll exaggerate and give you up to 25% of all people. Now if you think that 75% of the population is going to make allowances for the other 25% you are sadly mistaken.
If smokers choose to shorten their lives and cause a number of other things to themselves then that's their business. But when they start inflicting their habit on other people, I have a problem with it. Seriously, how hard is it for you to go outside or into a seperate room/area to have a smoke?
who says that the otehr 75% even go to a pub or club why should smokers be discriminated against due to having an addictive habit..... do you see alcoholics being banned from shopping centres ?
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #39
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Turbo
Laminge, do you realise that by smoking and inevitably giving yourself cancer, you are probably just creating a longer line of family medical problems for your future generations?
Its not inevitable mate, its fact.

Those that know me also realise that I wont smoke in areas to cause others stress.

Its a heated and passionate debate, and we can all worry about death from this and that, but there are better things in life aka enjoying the moment for what it is.

Im happy for people to call me a fool for smoking, have no argument in that what so ever. One think I do want you to thing about is that people have a choice, and no one has the right to take that choice from them, however in making that choice they disrespect others, then you can cain them.

I can go on and on, but Im hungry so I am going to leave it at that
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #40
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwigybo
who says that the otehr 75% even go to a pub or club why should smokers be discriminated against due to having an addictive habit..... do you see alcoholics being banned from shopping centres ?
The reason they should be "discriminated" against is because their addictive habit directly affects other people (breathing second-hand smoke, sore eyes, smelly clothing etc...). If cigarettes were in the form of a tablet, say, I wouldn't mind, because it wouldn't affect anyone else. A room full of smoke however is a different story.

And I actually think that if you were an alcoholic drinking in a shopping centre, yes you would be asked to leave!
Old 15-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #41
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR

I don't smoke anymore so I really don't care where people are allowed to smoke or aren't allowed to.. Doesn't affect me!!

How hard is it to read someone's posts though?? Apparently quite hard.
Old 15-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #42
F6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Its not inevitable mate, its fact.

Those that know me also realise that I wont smoke in areas to cause others stress.

Its a heated and passionate debate, and we can all worry about death from this and that, but there are better things in life aka enjoying the moment for what it is.

Im happy for people to call me a fool for smoking, have no argument in that what so ever. One think I do want you to thing about is that people have a choice, and no one has the right to take that choice from them, however in making that choice they disrespect others, then you can cain them.

I can go on and on, but Im hungry so I am going to leave it at that
Inevitable = WILL happen. So yeah, fact.

Fair points raised, but I still don't see the fascination of sticking a stinky stick of chemicals in your mouth. I mean, don't you realise how silly it is? Why do you even do it?
Old 15-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #43
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Cant reply, eating bacon, cheese eggs and several peices of toast!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #44
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Inevitable = WILL happen. So yeah, fact.

Fair points raised, but I still don't see the fascination of sticking a stinky stick of chemicals in your mouth. I mean, don't you realise how silly it is? Why do you even do it?

Is there one habit you do that others think is strange or yuck or silly even? Think hard, I am sure that there would be at least one...

Why do you do it?
Old 15-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #45
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Yay, got my first pack of smokes with a picture of a gangrenous foot on it today. Didnt make the cigarette taste any worse? Strange.

A few questions to be addressed.

"Dont you realise how silly it is?"

Yes. It'll most likely kill me like it does 300,000 australians every year. I am fully aware of this fact. I'm stupid... but im not ignorant.

"Why do you do it?"

a) Because it tastes good and feels even better.
b) Because I can. It's freedom to the point of being ridiculous!

Fair comments about passive smoking tho and that's something i take a fair amount of effort to avoid exposing people to. I like democracy - if 51% of people smoked then i'd tell the non smokers to 'shove it up their jumper'... but that's not the way... so i'll hide in my little corner and smoke myself to death... all you guys have to do is enjoy the $5b of revenue my peers and I chip in to government revenue.

Lol - innit funny how every minority group in Australia gets a voice larger than its representation of the population.... except smokers?

Now its my turn

I often laugh to myself as someone questions/hassles me about smoking as they:

- Choke down their large big mac meal/hot chips/hot dog/whatever
- Finish of their 5th pint of beer on the 3rd night they've been to the pub that week

And now a word from my sponsors:

Old 15-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #46
F6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Yay, got my first pack of smokes with a picture of a gangrenous foot on it today. Didnt make the cigarette taste any worse? Strange.

A few questions to be addressed.

"Dont you realise how silly it is?"

Yes. It'll most likely kill me like it does 300,000 australians every year. I am fully aware of this fact. I'm stupid... but im not ignorant.

"Why do you do it?"

a) Because it tastes good and feels even better.
b) Because I can. It's freedom to the point of being ridiculous!

Fair comments about passive smoking tho and that's something i take a fair amount of effort to avoid exposing people to. I like democracy - if 51% of people smoked then i'd tell the non smokers to 'shove it up their jumper'... but that's not the way... so i'll hide in my little corner and smoke myself to death... all you guys have to do is enjoy the $5b of revenue my peers and I chip in to government revenue.

Lol - innit funny how every minority group in Australia gets a voice larger than its representation of the population.... except smokers?

Now its my turn

I often laugh to myself as someone questions/hassles me about smoking as they:

- Choke down their large big mac meal/hot chips/hot dog/whatever
- Finish of their 5th pint of beer on the 3rd night they've been to the pub that week

And now a word from my sponsors:

It's the incosiderate smokers who ruin it for all of you though. When was the last time you felt put out by someone eating a big mac in front of you?

And even the drinking, drinking itself doesn't cause the negative externalities, it's only if someone decides to bash on their wife, or drive their car while drunk.

Smoking is the only activity here that on it's own, can create the worst possible side effects.
Old 15-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #47
Tamera_XT

[QUOTE=fiery] In my view, you don't like it keep away from it. (sorry only new and don't know how to quote properly....you get the drift.)

Whilst I agree with that I think there a lot of inconsiderate smokers that assume everyone smokes (not every smoker, there are alot of thoughtful smokers as well), I was at university sitting at a table studying when a man sat down at the table and proceeded to light up a cigarette, not a problem because we were outside but the smoke was clearly blowing in my face and I was upset because there were other tables were people were clearing smoking and he didn't even enquire if I minded since I was there first and had my study area set up. I ended up not saying anything and moving inside but I feel just because I'm a non- smoker i should still be entitled to my time outside also in the fresh air, smoke free, and whilst the man could not have known I do have a heart condition and must stay clear of smoke, as alot of people do such as astma people. Sometimes it's not about us not liking the smell, we are worried about out health and it can seriously effect us in the short term.

As for the ad campaigns I don't think they are having to much effect on 'mature' smokers but if they stop the younger generation coming through from smoking good and well worth a shot. Also I know of a lot of the baby boomer generation that were told to start smoking by their doctors to combat stress because they didn't have the knowlege we have now......and if you were them who would you believe, your local doctor or the government????
Old 15-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #48
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's the incosiderate smokers who ruin it for all of you though. When was the last time you felt put out by someone eating a big mac in front of you?

And even the drinking, drinking itself doesn't cause the negative externalities, it's only if someone decides to bash on their wife, or drive their car while drunk.

Smoking is the only activity here that on it's own, can create the worst possible side effects.

That is true.. as I have stated when I smoked I would walk away from non-smokers and actually most the people (I did say most) I know would also walk away or move off to the side so it wasn't in other's faces..

With the drunk you forgot to add, walk out on a road and causing an accident (the driver being sued for thousands)...there are so many things that could probably be said too...
Old 15-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #49
XRchic
Hello

I gave up smoking last June. I have not had one since as I got pregnant and have been breastfeeding and I dont plan to take it up again. I have had no problems giving up, I dont want any (well occasionally I do) and it doesnt bother me when anyone smokes around me (ie pub etc).

I recognise the health benefits from giving up. But I smoked for 15 years before I gave up (except for when I was pregnant with my other two children). I smoked as a nurse. I knew the health problems and risks associated with it. Well before I gave up, in fact.

Now, one thing that really REALLY annoys me are sanctimonious ex smokers, or-holier-than-thou-never-had-a-smoke-in-my-life-because-its-sooo-gross people. OK, just imagine that as smokers we KNOW that its bad, that we KNOW that it may kill us and we KNOW the social and financial implications - but we do it anyway! OMG, how stupid are smokers then? How stupid is anyone who does something which is risky, unhealthy?

To those people who have never had a smoke in their lives, good on you. But dont treat people who smoke like they are idiots, dont understand the health implications, risks etc... that is just insulting. Often people who smoke now started before there were any massive campaigns, before there was extensive medical knowledge, and before it was considered socially unacceptable. An example:

My Dad is now 64 and he smoked since he was 15, which was roughly 1957. Back then, there was no real knowledge about the effects, it was socially acceptable to the point that more young adults did it than didnt, that it was just considered normal, and he even remembers working as an engineer in his office with 20 odd other engineers, all with ashtrays on their desks and the air full of smoke in the office. It was considered normal life.

My Dad's Dad died 10 years ago and lived to the age of 91 and smoked all of his life. I dont think there was any large amount of awareness of the issues back in the 1920s when he started!!!! For the record, my grandfather smoked a lot of strong smokes every day for most of his life, drank like a fish, raced cars and motorcyles, played chicken with a tram on his motorbike and lost (was in hospital for 6 months), he fell of the back of a truck and fractured his skull at work, he electrocuted himself many times performing dodgy electrical work in his house, he worked as a miner in the Tanamai desert and he lived on a diet of junk food his entire life. Did I mention he lived to 91? Smoking was only one of the things he did in his life which could have shortened his life span. Maybe he was just stupid.

Point Im making is that smokers arent stupid because they smoke: there is more to it than that, and also that people choose to do things which may not be good for them, but which are fun anyway. Might not be your definition of fun, enjoyment and you might even find it repsulsive. But consider that not all people share your view, tastes, opinions. And I dont think that people who have never smoked have ANY perspective on the issue, regardless of how many people they know who have died of this or that cancer.

Non smokers... back off with the judgements and condescending advice and comments. No one is perfect, everyone does things that are less than ideal. Some people choose to do what they enjoy and LIVE their lives, rather than spending their whole lives worrying about every thing they do... stress is not much better for you than smoking, long term!

And as for the ads, they do nothing. Every time I saw one of those kinds of ads, it made me think of smoking and I would light one up every time. Most people who watch CSI are immune to images of gangrene, or yukky lungs or anything gory. My kids dont care. I was a nurse, I saw worse than that. The ads just trigger a reminder to smoke, that's all. It shocks no one.

People have to give up when they are ready, when they dont want to smoke any more for their own reasons and the more that smokers are hassled and lectured into giving up, the less likely they will.

End rant...

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #50
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
It's the incosiderate smokers who ruin it for all of you though.
Agreed - hence my efforts to keep, what is undoubtedly a filthy habit, away from those who dont want to be near it. Some people make it difficult to do this. i.e. when i go out of my way to find a quiet area to have a puff and someone goes out of their way (actually makes a detour) to come and tell me how filthy/dangerous to others it is. *sigh*

But most non smokers... well, wont even notice my efforts to keep smoking away from them... which is good. If you dont notice me smoking then my approach is working

Quote:
When was the last time you felt put out by someone eating a big mac in front of you?
Only when they're being hypocritical

Quote:
I see exactly where you're coming from and dont disagree with what you're saying.

Quote:
Agreed. Hence i make sure im not inflicting my death wish upon anyone else
Old 15-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #51
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamera_XT
and he didn't even enquire if I minded since I was there first and had my study area set up.
First rule Always ask if its ok to light up
Old 15-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #52
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

If smokers smoke and don't effect anyone else,thats their problem.(and their relatives,friends etc when they suffer or die prematurely)..If they smoke in my presence and blow smoke in my face it becomes my problem and I tell them so.Period..
Old 15-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #53
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
If smokers smoke and don't effect anyone else,thats their problem.(and their relatives,friends etc when they suffer or die prematurely)..If they smoke in my presence and blow smoke in my face it becomes my problem and I tell them so.Period..
Absolutely no problem with that. Smokes should always respect other people's wishes to not inhale their smoke!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #54
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SO NONE of you who are anti smoking have no habits that affect others....don't think so...you breathe the smoke I paid for...give me the money.

Very true the Fed Gov WILL NEVER BAN tobbaco....they make about $1billion in taxes.

I have smoked since I was 11 I have never and never will suffer any ailment connected to smoking...therefore no cost to society.

I will live into my 80/90s despite my current non smoking related condition...even though my Docs only gave me 2 yrs.

And that was 5yrs ago.......now if there is anyone who thinks they are good enough or better than me and wants to give me crap about where and when I smoke...bring it on........

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #55
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
How hard is it to read someone's posts though?? Apparently quite hard.
Sorry, which part of the post have I not read correctly?
Old 15-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #56
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree it's gone too far. I was eating dinner the other day and that freakin gang green add came on, put me right off for a while..

There's better ways to address the issue other than major shock value.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #57
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BTW (just to add on this) - To the people who say ban smoking outright, that ****es me off. Do some people really not realise that there are smokers that genuinely enjoy smoking? Wether on the rare occasion or frequently?

I really enjoy pipe smoking, one every few months usually. But I still hate smelling of smoke the next day after been in a pub etc (and I hate it when I play gigs in pubs/bars and my instruments, which used to smell awesome, now smell like crap).. But I don't want to ban smoking outright, that's just silly.. People do have a right to smoke, they just need to mind non smokers etc (as non smokers need to mind them).
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post