Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-01-2006, 01:32 AM   #31
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
The stock Goodyears on the 16's on an LR Focus Zetec are rubbish. Good only in the wet and they're fairly quiet and comfortable, but they really aren't any good at grippy stuff in the dry. Honest but for the money, rubbish. I paid $20-30 per tyre more at replacement time and got some Michelin Pilot Preceda tyres which crap all over the stockers in the dry and are comparable in the wet. Have also heard great things about the Goodyears.
Can you still buy the old GS-D2s (old OEM)?
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 01:32 AM   #32
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I'd also highly recommend Don Cornell's Tyrepower in Bexley. 178 Stoney Creek Rd. Highly recommended from others and every time a great service and good price.
I've heard good things about them too.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:33 AM   #33
fasty

Believe it or not Nan Kang and Hercules or Silverstone make VERY good tyres. Good in wet AND dry.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #34
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

The Goodyear sounds like a good tyre, i admit. However, ive become close with the local Bob Jane (ummmmm, ive needed tyres urgently lately LOL) and along with other people, the Eagle F1s seem to lose pace when they wear. Apparently they get VERY loud also. Ive heard though that you should make sure your getting the one made in GERMANY. Apparently there is a difference in the materials/quality.

As for NanKang and Silverstone... i will have to investigate that. I was thinking of putting the NanKangs on the front for the track, as they are cheap and would get EATTEN, however, i think i will stick to the reputable brands

I will tell you that i previously had the Falkens and only bought another 2 tyres because i needed to stick to the same size till i had enough $$$ for going to a bigger size then the stock fiesta (205/45R16 vs 195/45R16). I dont think i will turn back... Im currently happy with the BFGs. Might try the Michelins next and then make a final decision to who im going to stick with.

Thanks heaps Fasty if you can get the prices. Hopefully they are reasonably priced

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #35
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey i'll probably be in the market for some tyres soon, any idea what is a good brand i can get in 225/30 R20? without terribly breaking my wallet, credit card, and/or life? It's currently got nankang supersport ns2's on it but i'm not terribly happy with their grip as they begin to wear down? any suggestions other than to get smaller wheels will be greatly appreciated
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #36
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
The Goodyear sounds like a good tyre, i admit. However, ive become close with the local Bob Jane (ummmmm, ive needed tyres urgently lately LOL) and along with other people, the Eagle F1s seem to lose pace when they wear. Apparently they get VERY loud also. Ive heard though that you should make sure your getting the one made in GERMANY. Apparently there is a difference in the materials/quality.
I've had two sets, the originals when they were first launched were from Germany, the second lot that were from Thailand. There really isn't that much difference between them, and I've driven on tracks with them.

In regards to noise, bleh P6000s are noisy (or pretty much any Pirelli these days compared to the competition), the GS-D3s only make a funny whirring sound for the first 100km or so when new (sounds like a turbine spooling down under deceleration). The noise level is nothing noteworthy.

As I said, a friend who's a bit tough to satisfy in the tyre department had Precedas and replaced them with GS-D3s (Thai made), has done various track days and is going to replace the GS-D3s with another set of GS-D3s. This is a guy that's never replaced a set of tyres with the same brand before.

Goodyear had a patch in recent times of making lousy tyres, but since the launch of the GS-D3, they've really turned around - the company's fortunes certainly have too.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #37
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
any suggestions other than to get smaller wheels will be greatly appreciated
You just answered your question. 20 inch will NEVER handle as good as the small tyres....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 07-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #38
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
I've had two sets, the originals when they were first launched were from Germany, the second lot that were from Thailand. There really isn't that much difference between them, and I've driven on tracks with them.

In regards to noise, bleh P6000s are noisy (or pretty much any Pirelli these days compared to the competition), the GS-D3s only make a funny whirring sound for the first 100km or so when new (sounds like a turbine spooling down under deceleration). The noise level is nothing noteworthy.

As I said, a friend who's a bit tough to satisfy in the tyre department had Precedas and replaced them with GS-D3s (Thai made), has done various track days and is going to replace the GS-D3s with another set of GS-D3s. This is a guy that's never replaced a set of tyres with the same brand before.

Goodyear had a patch in recent times of making lousy tyres, but since the launch of the GS-D3, they've really turned around - the company's fortunes certainly have too.
Ive heard they get noisy. Well, in the Wheels 04 mag (Focus) they compared the two. The only reason the GSD3 won was because the Michelin was outclassed in the wet braking. Now, if you think about it, how often does it rain these days? And, in the wet, wouldnt you drive slower any way? So, in actual fact, i'd take the Michelin and save myself about $45/tyre.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #39
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Any suggestions on what specific tyres i should get?

Like teki said, should take it slower in the wet so im not looking for a super high wet performer but having said that i dont want something that will constantly lose traction with normal driving ie Falken ziex 512 which i had on my old car.

im looking for 205/45/16 im also not really looking to break the bank, i dont really give my car a hard time, 90% of my driving is pensioner style, 5 % is parking and 5% is Minging its massive german nuts off.

So can anyone give me suggestions... ive heard graet things about nankang ns2 and they are available in the size i want for around 110 each, which is very very cheap.
im probably willing to spend around 110-190 a tyre. can i get something decent for that amount or am i setting my sights to low?
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #40
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Any suggestions on what specific tyres i should get?

Like teki said, should take it slower in the wet so im not looking for a super high wet performer but having said that i dont want something that will constantly lose traction with normal driving ie Falken ziex 512 which i had on my old car.

im looking for 205/45/16 im also not really looking to break the bank, i dont really give my car a hard time, 90% of my driving is pensioner style, 5 % is parking and 5% is Minging its massive german nuts off.

So can anyone give me suggestions... ive heard graet things about nankang ns2 and they are available in the size i want for around 110 each, which is very very cheap.
im probably willing to spend around 110-190 a tyre. can i get something decent for that amount or am i setting my sights to low?
Pretty sure you can get the Dunlop Direzza in that price range... I've heard of a Clio Sport that is running those tyres and his quite happy with them...

Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #41
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Ive heard they get noisy. Well, in the Wheels 04 mag (Focus) they compared the two. The only reason the GSD3 won was because the Michelin was outclassed in the wet braking. Now, if you think about it, how often does it rain these days? And, in the wet, wouldnt you drive slower any way? So, in actual fact, i'd take the Michelin and save myself about $45/tyre.
I actually used that Wheels 04 test to get my new tyres, decided on the Michelins. I have ben astonished by their dry grip, simply outstanding. Wear is quite good too.

Their wet grip has been less than expected and simply forces me to slow down a little, not much lateral wet grip (cornering) but that can also come from being used to extremely high dry grip. Not entirely happy with this part of the tyre's abilities.

I'd try a different tyre next time due to having so many other to choose from but made my initial decision on price, they were great value for their overall performance I have been very happy with them. I do a lot of highway k's and was also warned off the more aggressive directional Goodyear's hence my final choice for Michelins. I was looking for bulk dry grip and a quiet performer. They're very quiet. At the end of the day, we all have specific needs which is why variation is a good thing for choice!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #42
Suth
Suth

Got some new tires for the zeet about 3 months ago. Had to pick my jaw up off the floor when they tired to talk me into getting more NCT5s. $245 each! Why would anyone pay that for crappy noisy tires? I didn't have much coin at the time and in the riverland there is not a huge range of tires at the local beauies or independant tire blokes. Ended up paying $180 per corner for eagle venturas and they ИИИИ all over the stockies.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #43
tabaccs

I just recently replaced my fronts with yokohama c-drives and im quite happy with them. great grip in both wet and dry but the only downfall is that they do wear a tad quicker that the crappy nct's i had from stock.. got em for $215 a tyre, so not the cheapest but they do the job quite nicely and look 100 times better than the nct's imo.. my two cents for ya's

Adam

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #44
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I had my 16's I put Bridgestone GIII's on there for $199 a tyre....They crap all over the NCT5's. Now on my MP3 rims I got Ventures K104 for $180 a tyre. Can't complain with them as I don't have that much cash atm
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post