Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: How often do you get your AU serviced
Major/minor (50k, 10k) servicing only 57 41.01%
Service more often that recommended servicing 66 47.48%
Service it occassionally (no fixed timing/kilometers) 10 7.19%
Hardly ever 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #31
legend223

If any of you guys live in sutherland there is a serivce center that will service your car for only $90 Cash. So in Sutherland shire and want good serivce at cheap price so please PM me ok guys Only people in Sutherland Shire
legend223 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 03:19 AM   #32
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 626
Yes very true. I have a Mazda 626 V6 (rebadged Telstar TX5) as well as an AU Wagon.
I originally got the handle for another site i visit mx6.com

Alan.
Well good to have you aboard in any case!

I have an Au wagon too, so I guess that must mean you're in good company! LOL!
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #33
OldManGhia

I get the oil & filter done every 10,000ks at a place called Speedy Lube. They have a drive in oil change service. No booking required, 10-20 min wait and off again. Cost around $70.

Can anyone supply a bit more info on the K&N filters and the best plugs for a dual fuel wagon?

Thanks guys.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #34
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU98C-Wagon

Can anyone supply a bit more info on the K&N filters and the best plugs for a dual fuel wagon?
My wagon is dual fuel and I bought the NGK standard gas plugs recommeded for the AU1. The car ran fine down low, but acceleration on the hwy was horrendous!

Rang a mate with a mate from Ford who recommended standard Petrol plugs! That seemed odd to me but I did it and it's much better! Go figure! Has anyone else found this also?

GK

Last edited by GK; 24-07-2005 at 10:06 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 27-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #35
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

I am a DIYer. Oil 7 filter every 5k oil. Every 10 k , fuel filter. I check the K&N every 5k & replace the Plugs every 10k. Everything else my mechanic does including transmission every 20k. I wont let other mechanics change the oil because they usually use a cheap one. For the amount of time it takes to do the oil & plugs I can't justify paying that sort of money, even though I can claim it on tax.
Sleeperau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 07:33 PM   #36
t2te50
Banned

I service the transmissions myself at home on some car ramps our drive is on a 30 degree
incline so the vehicle is level when I check the level. Just need to watch that bloody cat
TQ 95 is like petrol.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #37
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
I am a DIYer. Oil 7 filter every 5k oil. Every 10 k , fuel filter. I check the K&N every 5k & replace the Plugs every 10k. Everything else my mechanic does including transmission every 20k. I wont let other mechanics change the oil because they usually use a cheap one. For the amount of time it takes to do the oil & plugs I can't justify paying that sort of money, even though I can claim it on tax.
Seems as though youre going through a lot of plugs very often, when there may not be any need. Surely you get longer than 10k out of a set of plugs.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #38
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Seems as though youre going through a lot of plugs very often, when there may not be any need. Surely you get longer than 10k out of a set of plugs.
I don't believe in cleaining plugs once out, throw them out. I have just changed to Bosch with the 4 electrolodes. I will see how long they last this will be the 2nd set in the Au but always 10k in the EF.
Sleeperau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #39
Moya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 626
Clearing the "service spanner" is as simple as turning the ignition to on (not start) and holding the trip metre reset button in for 10 sec's.
Whats that mean? And whats holding trip meter for 10secs do?
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #40
t2te50
Banned

Changing all fluids on a vehicle is ridiculously easy and thats got nothing to do with the fact that I've done it for six years. Heaps of books in local libraries that go through it step by step although it doesn't hurt to consult someone in the know.
Our old VS commodore that the neighbour now owns was serviced by me from day one. 130,000 down the clock and water pump, power steering pump, rack nothing has been replaced. Had the car from new.
People often neglect brake fluid, trans oil and power steering oil especialy one tip don't!
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #41
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moya
Whats that mean? And whats holding trip meter for 10secs do?
When you're due for a service (i.e. set kms), the odometer will bring up a display which looks like a spanner, just to remind you to get the car serviced. Some people want to know how to make it disappear - thats what you hold the trip meter button in for.

The service spanner is programmed to show up at the regular service intervals, you cant stop it, you can only get rid of it when it shows up.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #42
AU3XR

Add up the money U will spend at $189 every 6 months untill 2010 on the compulsory services, you would be better off doing it yourself....That is the catch with these "extended" warranties......
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #43
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I service my car pretty often. More regular then recomended.

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #44
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I get my car serviced every 10,000 km 15,000 at the longest for minor service. Major service every 45,000 - 50,000. But since I haven't been driving and dad has been using my car it hasn't had a service in 22,000km. I tell him, I tell him, but he says its a good motor and it doesn't matter if its a bit longer between service. Its only a good motor because its serviced.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #45
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3XR
Add up the money U will spend at $189 every 6 months untill 2010 on the compulsory services, you would be better off doing it yourself....That is the catch with these "extended" warranties......
I had my steering rack replaced under the the extended Warranty. Around $800 and that was within the first 8 months being out of factory warranty. I only had 1 service at $189 so I am $611 in front already.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the conditions. Sure it might cost more, but at least I know everything is done by the book. More peice of mind than anything else
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #46
Autocade

Axle-F
Recomended service Intervals for AU2 are 15000
If you are not racing I cannot see why you would bother changing more frequently if you use a good quality Oil
I get my AU2 VCT serviced at Strapp (Sponser) and they have been very good
They are probably more expensive than non dealers but I reckon you get what you pay for
My last 2 cars have been serviced at the same dealer and never had a problem
I have spoken to people in the Industry who, reckon if you use Mobil 1 you could reasonably go 25000 between changes

Hope this helps
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #47
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I guess I am a fusspot? I like to have my services more regular and of course it is a distinct advantage working for a FORD dealership

I am very careful lwith tyre pressures, oil filters, fuel filter and air filter. I also don't like LEAVING things until??? Easier to get it NOW before something ELSE goes wrong
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #48
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I got my auto serviced today for $90, including computer hook up and diagnostics etc. Was found to be running fine, even with very old fluid. I'm a tad embarrassed that I haven't had it changed in 50,000k. I got the car with 80K but it had factory servicing.

It's the first auto I've had so I now know I should get the fluid replaced every 20,000 - 25,000.

By the way, as a fellow gas owner, I spoke to a mate today whose mate is a Ford Master Tech. He recommends NGK standard gas plugs but increasing the gap from 0.8 to 1.1. What do you make of that Turbo one?
GK, may I ask where you got your auto serviced and if you would recommend them? I know you always give an honest appraisal and I'm around the NW too.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #49
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hords
GK, may I ask where you got your auto serviced and if you would recommend them? I know you always give an honest appraisal and I'm around the NW too.
Highside Automatics in Reservoir.

I have heard since that they aren't the best, so last time I took the SR sedan to Fluidrive in North Coburg. Very friendly, and took lots of time to answer any questions I had. Let me watch the process too!

They were more expensive though, $145. There is usually a 10% discount voucher in the local business paper/brochure that gets around every few weeks or so.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 04-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #50
peterban
AULTD

Hi GK
was the $145 for a flush or just drop the pan and change the filter and the few litres of oil that comes out?
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:40 AM   #51
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Highside Automatics in Reservoir.

I have heard since that they aren't the best, so last time I took the SR sedan to Fluidrive in North Coburg. Very friendly, and took lots of time to answer any questions I had. Let me watch the process too!

They were more expensive though, $145. There is usually a 10% discount voucher in the local business paper/brochure that gets around every few weeks or so.

All the best with it.

GK
Thanks again GK!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #52
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
Hi GK
was the $145 for a flush or just drop the pan and change the filter and the few litres of oil that comes out?
They dropped the pan, changed the filter, replaced the gasket and there appeared to be many more than a few litres of oil that went in, so I'm assuming a flush, but couldn't be sure to be honest!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #53
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
They dropped the pan, changed the filter, replaced the gasket and there appeared to be many more than a few litres of oil that went in, so I'm assuming a flush, but couldn't be sure to be honest!

GK
Sorry to quote myself, but I now know that it wasn't a full flush. Full flush is obviously more cash, but I don't know how much.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 02-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #54
Tony_4500

I had my 1999 AU gearbox serviced and flushed last week 28-11-06 and it cost me $275.00, apparently they need to flush about 20 litres through the gearbox to clean it out. I also remember someone telling me never to use Valvoline oil on Fords as it makes the Hydrulic lifter's tick, not that I use Valoline anyway.
Tony_4500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 12:43 AM   #55
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

yup also a big believer in scheduled servicing cos i work for a caterpillar dealership and i've seen wat happens on big $$$ machinery! i let it slip sometimes though, i always do my oil and filters on time usin castrol magnatec & ryco filters seems to be a really good oil no noises wotsever on startup. and when i 1st brought it i did it all, engine, p/s, brakes, diff but not tranny, im bout to get that done but i'm still lookin cos i used to do it myself on EB but didnt flush it so i'll be getting that done this week.

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #56
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey servicing my car this weekend, just wondering how many litres of coolants these hold?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #57
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
hey servicing my car this weekend, just wondering how many litres of coolants these hold?
radiator holds about 16 litres
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #58
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lucky I asked, only bought 10
Old 15-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #59
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

actuallythe whole cooling system holds 16 (my mistake) sorry!!!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #60
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I plan on flushing the whole system, so thats what I'll ned anyway