Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #31
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
that volkswagen didnt even have any intrusive damage to the interior of the car...

thats why european cars are what they are!
Germans still make the best cars. Deutschland uber alles!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #32
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Good to see that everone thinks that anything made in China Is 5hit.....

I wonder how much of your ( and mine ) Falcon is made in china... ?

Maybe those who say it is all cheap rubbish made on $2 per hour should look closely at the computer you are typing on, , and the tv you watch, , and the fridge and ALL other consumer electronics in your house.... Now days, 90% of it is made in China.. ( inc your IPOD )

God bless the third world for such manufacturing plants as those in China.

I have been to china, and visited a few Manufacturing plants.

One was bigger then the entire Homebush site in sydney, and it was owned by 1 guy. This place was so huge, it blew me away. This particular plant made tv's, portable dvd players, personal audio ( MP3 ) and home theare.

Off to the side of the plant, was the minature suburb that housed the employees, , very good living and housing conditions. They have everything done for them,, , the plant provided parks, pools, skate rinks, movies, shops, everything..... It was amazing... No where else in the world could anyone do such a thing but China !

We were physcially searched to make sure we had no cameras, or camera phones.

They even made the cardboard boxes that the stuff was packaged in....

Then they got sick of buying the foam for the boxes, , so they added a "foam" plant.... They even "make" the paint to colour the boxes !

WIthout China, , we would be still paying $400 for a cheap 51cm tv, , and $5000 for a plasma....

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #33
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
WIthout China, , we would be still paying $400 for a cheap 51cm tv, , and $5000 for a plasma....

AC/DC
So you are saying putting former Australian workers on welfare is good? :

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #34
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

No, ,I was just stating a fact, , , No-one here would work for the low wages that they do overseas, and I dont blame us for doing so...

But If I was offered a "plasma" built in melbourne for $4000 , , or the same unit built in china for $2000, , what would I do ?

The reason we dont make cheap electronics, is that we simply cannot afford to.

If anyone wants to save the plight of the "aussie worker" , , then volunteer for the factory work @ $5 per hour....

AC/DC

( I wish that all our stuff was Australian made, , but that will never happen now )
Old 15-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #35
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This 10k car is no safer than a 14k Daewoo. Far out. The airbag doesnt do **** in that video of the NCAP test.

The whole car would chop you up into quaters
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #36
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Germans still make the best cars. Deutschland uber alles!

FF
Check this out FF: http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/01/3.html

Top Gear says: "German manufacturers, once the epitome of solid reliability, remain on the slide, although last year's most dismal duffer, the moribund Mercedes M-Class, is displaced by no fewer than four fragile French marques."

The best cars are actually mostly Japanese: Lexus, Honda, Subaru. The best European manufacturers are actually Czech, not German (VW's top liners come as Skodas from Mlada Boleslav, and the Toureg and parts of the Porsche Cayenne also come from Czech Republic). Manufacturers are moving to the Czech Republic because they get the quality there they can't get anywhere else in Europe (Toyota-Peugeot Citroen and now Hyundai).

Skoda is now pretty much regarded as second only to Lexus in quality: http://www.carpages.co.uk/skoda/skod...y-04-06-06.asp

You need to catch up with the quiet revolution thats been happening there in the last decade as the Czechs return to their prewar quality (interrupted for 50 years by the Germans and communism). Back to the thread, Skoda is also setting up in China - there is a difference between overseas brands manufactured in China and Chinese local brands. The main thing the foreigners have to watch out for is the Chinese propensity for theft of designs (without the accompanying safety and quality).

You can't get Skodas here unfortunately though you can in NZ. The only local Czech made car is the Touareg.
Old 15-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #37
mash
Starter Motor

Watching a tv show the other day, It was a doco on the chinese that have bought up all the MG tooling along with the name, some 4000 containers of it and are assembling a new factory with it as we speak(type). They now have a global name thats recognised. Funny that 20 years ago Korean cars would have been laughed at and 45 years ago the japs. Things are a changen!
mash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #38
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's at only 64kph. Not much more than we do cruisin round the burbs. I think I'll go back to euro cars.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #39
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
They look a bit like the current Toyota Corolla but cheap & nasty. They have not met ADR standeds as yet could be 3 years away before the POS hit our shores to buggar up the used car prices. I won't buy one no matter how cheap they are
They will not be sold unless they meet ADR.

Quote:
Spoolman wrote: "and a bowl of rice".
Yes, yes yes - its all in that bowel of rice.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 11:41 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash
Watching a tv show the other day, It was a doco on the chinese that have bought up all the MG tooling along with the name, some 4000 containers of it and are assembling a new factory with it as we speak(type). They now have a global name thats recognised. Funny that 20 years ago Korean cars would have been laughed at and 45 years ago the japs. Things are a changen!
Read in the Herald Sun yesterday that the factory is going to be in the US.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #41
tbearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
So you are saying putting former Australian workers on welfare is good? :

FF
No you are by buying chinese products..... your choosing cheap over expensive i.e. 3k lcd tv rather than 18k aussie lcd tv
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #42
tbearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Check this out FF: http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/01/3.html

Top Gear says: "German manufacturers, once the epitome of solid reliability, remain on the slide, although last year's most dismal duffer, the moribund Mercedes M-Class, is displaced by no fewer than four fragile French marques."

The best cars are actually mostly Japanese: Lexus, Honda, Subaru. The best European manufacturers are actually Czech, not German (VW's top liners come as Skodas from Mlada Boleslav, and the Toureg and parts of the Porsche Cayenne also come from Czech Republic). Manufacturers are moving to the Czech Republic because they get the quality there they can't get anywhere else in Europe (Toyota-Peugeot Citroen and now Hyundai).

Skoda is now pretty much regarded as second only to Lexus in quality: http://www.carpages.co.uk/skoda/skod...y-04-06-06.asp

You need to catch up with the quiet revolution thats been happening there in the last decade as the Czechs return to their prewar quality (interrupted for 50 years by the Germans and communism). Back to the thread, Skoda is also setting up in China - there is a difference between overseas brands manufactured in China and Chinese local brands. The main thing the foreigners have to watch out for is the Chinese propensity for theft of designs (without the accompanying safety and quality).

You can't get Skodas here unfortunately though you can in NZ. The only local Czech made car is the Touareg.
Wow, lets take whatever top gear says so seriously. Their survey is so flawed its so funny, and actually you were wrong the survey is about satisfaction with their cars and it said the mercs were let down by the dealers not the cars themselves. And even if the mercs are on the slide there is still audi and bmw. Plus skoda just pump out remodelled VW's because thats who owns them, so technically you could say that they are german engineered!!!

Oh and if you look at the worlds biggest exporter it is Germany, while China maybe selling everyone their trinkets, Germany is the main exporter of "technologies" which everyone gloats about having in their possesion with gay abandonment.
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #43
nitroman
nitroman

It's only a matter of time before we see these peices of junk on the road. They make everything in china now don't they? It's hard to buy anything at all that isn't made there. I even have to be careful when buying SnapOn nowadays that they aren't palming me off chinese stuff. Sure it is cheap and it works, but I would rather support families from Australia and other countries I like (USA, Europe) rather than supporting cruel dictatorships like China. Countries like france support thier local car industry by imposing heavy tarrifs on foreign cars and why not? We'd all be better off (and safer)with more local cars on the roads.
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 12:37 AM   #44
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbearz
No you are by buying chinese products..... your choosing cheap over expensive i.e. 3k lcd tv rather than 18k aussie lcd tv
Since when do they make Australian LCD TV's or anything resembling a semiconductor?

Wanna know a funny fact: that $3,000 TV costs about $300 to make, if that.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #45
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Those poor crash test dumbes. But that is scary.
Old 17-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #46
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Then they got sick of buying the foam for the boxes, , so they added a "foam" plant.... They even "make" the paint to colour the boxes !AC/DC
Good informed post AC/DC. 'Value added production', this is something we should be focussed on, though for us, sometimes, it'd be too costly to achieve.

The Chinese people desire a high standard of living, and this is their collective goal.

I have a satellite TV setup with which I view many things, graphic news coverage and data - I also view and keep an eye on most all Chinese TV stations from the many pay services and FTA non government stations, - to almost all the government CCTV's. Their ABC if you will - each with specific genre, (CCTV9 is fulltime English).

What I see is an adoption by the younger generation in particular of the Western lifestyle, the music (They have their own MTV, Channel V etc), the desire to improve their financial lot, for clothing - no more 'grey' but rather I must say much colour and class (cute women folk), fine food and 'service' and a desire for good customer service. The influence of Hong Kong (this is where the worlds 'real wealth' resides) has assisted geatly, ditto that from neighbour Taiwan, who's many companies are also now set up on the mainland.

For 'change' in China, the young needed to be patient, that patience is paying off as they gain with age; influence. What the people want, they will have and that place is booming as a result.

* The Chinese Automobil Association has an Australian head and it uses the expertise of former Sydney based lawyer Jason Li in tackling that rapidly growing market. Aussies making it in China.

I have a desire (and am doing this through appropriate channels) to ensure China's future road infrustructure does not contain the 'errors' of our own motorway construction, their network will be Germanic in standard, (such as with India's growing network). AND it'll be model inclusive of other transport options.

I am also advocating the Chinese 'mandatory' adoption of UN/ECE Regulations, all to avoid I must say the potential adoption of alternative certain lower standard North American FMVSS equivalents. (China for example mandates the Euro triangle for its domestic market, prohibiting the US version).

My only real concern with China is over the Taiwan issue, if after 2008-9 this is finalised peacefully, then all should be good. Militarily they are capable of taking Taiwan, I would not have said that four years ago, not by a long shot. The armed forces appear of CCTV 7 and 10 on a time-interchange basis. Much new and highly advanced gear and they are quite open and up front about all this.

We'll see. I am thankful they are not muslim, they have enough problems with those in their far West region that are.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #47
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbearz
Wow, lets take whatever top gear says so seriously. Their survey is so flawed its so funny, and actually you were wrong the survey is about satisfaction with their cars and it said the mercs were let down by the dealers not the cars themselves. And even if the mercs are on the slide there is still audi and bmw. Plus skoda just pump out remodelled VW's because thats who owns them, so technically you could say that they are german engineered!!!

Oh and if you look at the worlds biggest exporter it is Germany, while China maybe selling everyone their trinkets, Germany is the main exporter of "technologies" which everyone gloats about having in their possesion with gay abandonment.
There's a difference between exporting technologies and the actual products. The Germans are very good engineers and their designs are excellent but the manufacturing quality side has slipped. The Top gear survey results are also broadly supported by Powers (which are also about satisfaction - did I say otherwise?).
Old 17-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #48
roth

The ultimate success of any Chinese car exports to Australia will depend upon both quality and price. As far as I am concerned, I would not consider buying unless I was confident in the quality and safety of what they were offering - "the pain of poor quality endures long after the euphoria of a cheap price has evaporated!"
roth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #49
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:

AC/DC
That's an awesome post AC/DC (same goes keepleft) and does highlight the polarity with which we view a country like China... the stigma around them...

However - low price solid state electronics dont have the potential to injure and harm like a low price vehicle does. You can take a bit of risk with a TV - if it fails, it stops working. If a car "fails" - people get hurt or killed.

Would you let your kids ride to school with a friend's parent in one of the SUVs demonstrated in the crash test links? Evidence doesnt look good so far.

If the vehicles were of an appropriate standard, I dont think anyone would object to their cars!!
Old 17-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #50
Boss 290

why do many people knock the hyundai excel? it won best small car of the year at 1 stage and im quite sure its just as safe as a 95 small ford or barina. i have an excel as a second car and it has 110,000ks on it and i havent had 1 problem with it. it has great fuel economy and its not completely dorkey looking like daewoos and mit mirages. trust i was the same i said id never buy any cheap asain cars id rather an older ford but when i drove it the gears changes good the clutch is smooth and it didnt seem like it struggles up hills
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #51
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
They will not be sold unless they meet ADR.
The question that's beggared by this, as we've learnt with the Daewoo Barina, is that compliance with ADR doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. Nothing should come into this country that hasn't achieved at least 3 stars in an NCAP - so why does it?

And then there's primary safety - the ability to avoid getting into a situation in the first place. Nobody's addressed this except for some wishy washy lists of cars with ESC. Some vehicles are inherently unsafe - both primary and secondary - and they're not even from China but 'respectable' countries like Japan and the US. The Chinese are clever - they'll come good pretty quickly. We won't be laughing at their cars in 10 years.
Old 17-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #52
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
A $500 Commodore would be way safer and better built.
: I wouldn't go that far :
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #53
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I wouldnt let my kids ride in the car in question, that is in the video, , but mainly because I would hope that the Aust Govt would not let that on the road until mods were made to make it safer... ( I am sure this would happen )

Did anyone see the Sixty Minutes report on the Boom in China...

If they get their act together, ,they might make huge inroads in to the car industry...

Remember how many korean cars we could buy in the 80's,, ,, , none !

Wait 10 years, , once China gets moving, nothing will stop them, , and we will all be thanking them for the boom priced products..

AC/DC
Old 18-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #54
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Great another generation of matiz is on its way:S
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 03:04 AM   #55
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Good to see that everone thinks that anything made in China Is 5hit.....

I wonder how much of your ( and mine ) Falcon is made in china... ?

Maybe those who say it is all cheap rubbish made on $2 per hour should look closely at the computer you are typing on, , and the tv you watch, , and the fridge and ALL other consumer electronics in your house.... Now days, 90% of it is made in China.. ( inc your IPOD )

God bless the third world for such manufacturing plants as those in China.

I have been to china, and visited a few Manufacturing plants.

One was bigger then the entire Homebush site in sydney, and it was owned by 1 guy. This place was so huge, it blew me away. This particular plant made tv's, portable dvd players, personal audio ( MP3 ) and home theare.

Off to the side of the plant, was the minature suburb that housed the employees, , very good living and housing conditions. They have everything done for them,, , the plant provided parks, pools, skate rinks, movies, shops, everything..... It was amazing... No where else in the world could anyone do such a thing but China !

We were physcially searched to make sure we had no cameras, or camera phones.

They even made the cardboard boxes that the stuff was packaged in....

Then they got sick of buying the foam for the boxes, , so they added a "foam" plant.... They even "make" the paint to colour the boxes !

AC/DC

Most these devices mentioned are only manufactured in China, they are engineered and designed very specifically in "western" Countrys, so quality control is very strict, engineered in which a way that faults are very unlikely to occur, whilst fault tolerences being very low, so they are easy and simple to manufacture in 3rd world countrys.

So it really doesnt matter at all where and by whom the product is manufactured, its how the product is engineered which detirmines weather it is a quality and safe product.

The cars mentioned, they are both engineered and built in China, which is a horrible mix, especially for something as deadly as a car.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post