Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #31
AU Mont
Banned

Default Re: Rim Warrenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
Here is their out from that clause....You can swear black and blue you tried to avoid, but there is no way you can avoid every single pothole....
here is the actual wording of the clause same thing i wrote but written the other way around -

Quote:
5. Reasons for Refusal of a Claim for Warranty

B. The damage, defect or fault in the wheel, or the protective finish of the wheel, has been caused, or, in the opinion of Bob Jane T-Marts, reasonably appears to have been caused, by the purposeful or inadvertent act of the customer or any third party, including, but not limited to, damage caused to the alloy wheel by collision with another vehicle, collision with roadside kerbs, collision with pot holes or by the wheel being struck or otherwise dealt with in an inappropriate manner.
So if you purposefully drive into a pot hole, your claim is refused. And if you "inadvertently" drive into the pot hole the claim is refused as well. "Inadvertent" is defined as - 1. Not duly attentive. 2. Marked by unintentional lack of care

So what has that got to do with this thread? Basically a legit Australian company cant make/sell an approved standards rim that buckles at the sight of a pothole and deny a warranty claim. So Bob Jane has made a clause that it can be denied only if you were negligent when driving through the pothole.

Use your head, dont let yourself be brushed off with a one liner "sorry we dont cover that"...........
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #32
T3-TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at the dullness of that rim ! How old is that ?
Old 24-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

steelies will buckle just as easy imo, they just don`t crack.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
Benjamin Smith

The rims is almost 40,000ks old I just don't clean the whole rim all the time I've cleaned them like 5 times while owning it. it's only going to cost me $140 to fix so if it doesn't get warranty I don't really care. Got other stuff I my mind with being at tafe(cert 3 electrotechnology) at the moment.

But is worth a shot, and when ya think about it, if it does go under warranty? Does Ford have any more XR50 18" rims?
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Smith View Post
The rims is almost 40,000ks old I just don't clean the whole rim all the time I've cleaned them like 5 times while owning it. it's only going to cost me $140 to fix so if it doesn't get warranty I don't really care. Got other stuff I my mind with being at tafe(cert 3 electrotechnology) at the moment.

But is worth a shot, and when ya think about it, if it does go under warranty? Does Ford have any more XR50 18" rims?
Try the tyre shops and wreckers. Many tyre shops will trade standard rims on larger ones and wreckers will often have odd ones from wrecks.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #36
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

This is one reason why people when buying new Falcons, should opt for a matching alloy spare for $250, certainly well worth it. I have one in the boot.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #37
fonfe
RS shop's technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
here is the actual wording of the clause same thing i wrote but written the other way around -

So if you purposefully drive into a pot hole, your claim is refused. And if you "inadvertently" drive into the pot hole the claim is refused as well. "Inadvertent" is defined as - 1. Not duly attentive. 2. Marked by unintentional lack of care

So what has that got to do with this thread? Basically a legit Australian company cant make/sell an approved standards rim that buckles at the sight of a pothole and deny a warranty claim. So Bob Jane has made a clause that it can be denied only if you were negligent when driving through the pothole.

Use your head, dont let yourself be brushed off with a one liner "sorry we dont cover that"...........
BUT it is "you" that chooses to drive on a road or surface that is not faultlessly smooth and flat. (Not the case for any 4x4 vehicle like a jeep or land rover obviously as they are marketed as being both smooth and rough going vehicles)

Ultimately a manufacturer can not be held responsible for where you chose to drive the car. They will take the attitude that any pothole in the road should been seen in advance and one should be able to slow to avoid or if necessary because of other road restrictions to slowly go in and out of it.
Fiesta, focus and Mondeo models for instance are designed in germany where roads are incredibly smooth and almost perfect in most places. The fact that it is an Aussie only ford model doesn't change that same principal of it was designed to only be driven on a smooth surface at the correct speeds.

Saying all of that though doesn't mean I agree with it but its they way it is.

BUT The road quality isn't down to the manufacturer it's down to your roads authority.
In the uk several people I know have buckled their wheels on potholes in the road where there was no signed warning of the conditions and they have then gone back to the particular pothole, photographed and sent the repair bill to their local council and received a refund for their costs. Not sure how that would fly with the Aussie local road council but maybe worth a go. Nothing to lose after all.

Larger profile tyres will always save your rims, 4x4 rims are only made a tad stronger due to the weight they carry, they take a beating due to the huge profile tyres they run. I hammer the hell out of my range rover whilst offroad but the wheels take it as its got fat *** muddies on it that absorb big shocks. 40 profile tyres would kill my rims in no time at all
Old 25-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
Benjamin Smith

And the answer to the question was: no it wasnt warranty they deemed it impact damage buy just doing a balance test on it
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #39
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
This is one reason why people when buying new Falcons, should opt for a matching alloy spare for $250, certainly well worth it. I have one in the boot.
Or you can be like my friend and get the standard 5 big alloys on your Territory Titanium only to discover when you go to use the spare for the first time that it doesn't fit in the spare compartment and all the paint is worn off it :P.

He's going to get a new one from Ford, since it's a car design fault.

Fonfe a friend of mine hit a particularly bad hole in his VT and broke the wheel in half plus damaged the rotor and suspension. He took a picture of the hole with the car in the distance and Vic roads paid for everything. Normally they don't. Last year they paid up on about 5%? of claims. In theory they are supposed to pay for all of them but they don't.

There was also a case in Ballarat last year where I woman destroyed all 4 wheels and tyres on her Fiesta in one single hole :!) one of those impressive mid Winter ones than take up most of the road. Vic roads paid her 3000 or 4000 to get the new wheels. (they are $800 EACH at Ford AU) (about $150 in the UK)

Last edited by greenfoam; 25-02-2013 at 03:57 PM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #40
fonfe
RS shop's technician

If you ever want wheels from the uk, send the rs shop an email....we import parts from there as its the only place we can get cosworth bits from.
Old 25-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #41
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post

The wording of the clause is how they get out of it.....It is extremely difficult (or should I say impossible) to avoid every single pothole....So they'll use the reasoning you weren't paying due attention, hence the reason the damage occurred.

The other issue you have (as previous mentioned) is firstly, the tyre profile is extremely low, so the tyre doesn't give when hitting a pot hole....2ndly, there is no support on the inside edge of the rim....This is why alot of new cars, fitted with alloys buckle or split rims on the inside edge.....They never split on the outer edge, as there is support there.

So yes, I am using my head and yes I work in the industry and yes, I know how manufacturers operate and avoid paying out on claims and yes this is the reason rims split....

Anymore information required?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post