Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #31
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: Customers to decide Falcon ute future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I suspect they do a huge amount of research into what customers want to buy.

The problem in this thread is that they are only asking people who ACTUALLY buy new cars........
Instead they've gone the way of less models... which has resulted in.... less sales funnily enough.

So these people who actually buy cars are telling Ford.... it's no good. As the sales indicate. And the people telling Ford what to make, and not actually buying are claiming they don't have what they want and not buying. As the sales indicate.

Seems Ford can't really rely on customers to give them insights into what sells and what doesn't sell.

But what about those people involved in fleets for their work... and not actually buying... surely their insights would still be welcome?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don`t count the ute out just yet, the ecogas engine might just be the shot in the arm it needs.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #33
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
But Ford, or any car company for that matter... don't really listen to customers... they just tell us what WE need and want, and then provide that because it makes sense for shareholders.
That's not exactly true, in fact, not at all.

Fords development line up (and every other manufacturer, car or otherwise) is based on what consumers are actually purchasing, projected sales need to match up with actual sales...budgets need to be realistic and within operating capabilities.

Marketing aids are used to influence buyer choice and create desire for the said product. Even with marketing aids, there is the possibility that there will be little or no demand for their product. Latent demand is not a desirable outcome for a manufacturer of any variety. The life cycle of a product comes into play as well, what started out as 'overfull' demand, can very easily peter off over time to become no demand. The question is, even if Ford came to the party, how many of you actually have the cash to pay for it...

The statistics and research behind the scenes to indicate what will be a good seller and what will be a poor seller is not totally understood (read, not at all) by the consumer, particularly the consumer who has come into the game late, ergo the XR8 argument. The desire to have an XR8 NOW as opposed to previously is because NOW...you can't have it. And we all know what happens when you want something you can't have...you just want it more.

The ute is seen as a good seller, but is it really from a marketing and business perspective?

I'd personally like to see the ute stay as I think it's a great vehicle and it covers a market, but it's appearing that it's becoming a 'niche market' also, as most of Ford's vehicles have started to become, be it by outpricing in other segments by other manufacturers, or by poor perception from the public.

I hope the public actually put their money where their mouths are in this instance, because it would be sad to see a vehicle of this calibre become a ghost...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 05-07-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #34
KBC

The problem is for the new car buyer today, they need to sell their current car first and if it is not what people want then they cant sell it, having to keep a car that wont sell turns allot of people away from that brand, then that model depreciates and branded a heap of ****. Most of the people who buy second hand cars are out of the age bracket that count for new car sales but today's second-hand car buyer is tomorrows new car buyer as they age. Why not try and keep these people loyal.
When young people see what car is winning at the track they will go and buy the second hand car the older person is trying sell to buy there new car, even thou it is nowhere near the race car, it just has the same shape and badge!
How many 40 year olds do you see driving new heap's off **** VE HSV's! I see lots cause as a young person they could not afford them. These are the same people who bought second hand VN's cause they were seen to be the car to own by the younger generation.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #35
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11325531

check post #25

took 4 months for the press to find out..............
Old 05-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #36
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Holden are getting more sales than ford in utes simply because they look better (In my opinion)
my dad has been a ford fan his whole life, never bought anything but a ford... until he decided he wanted a ute.
The holden utes just look cleaner without the gap between the cab and the tray, although that means they can't have a cab chassis style ute, but this doesn't seem to bother too many tradies since the majority of them (around here anyway) seem to be young guys more interested in how it looks over practicality.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #37
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
That's not exactly true, in fact, not at all.

Fords development line up (and every other manufacturer, car or otherwise) is based on what consumers are actually purchasing, projected sales need to match up with actual sales...budgets need to be realistic and within operating capabilities.

Marketing aids are used to influence buyer choice and create desire for the said product. Even with marketing aids, there is the possibility that there will be little or no demand for their product. Latent demand is not a desirable outcome for a manufacturer of any variety. The life cycle of a product comes into play as well, what started out as 'overfull' demand, can very easily peter off over time to become no demand. The question is, even if Ford came to the party, how many of you actually have the cash to pay for it...

The statistics and research behind the scenes to indicate what will be a good seller and what will be a poor seller is not totally understood (read, not at all) by the consumer, particularly the consumer who has come into the game late, ergo the XR8 argument. The desire to have an XR8 NOW as opposed to previously is because NOW...you can't have it. And we all know what happens when you want something you can't have...you just want it more.

The ute is seen as a good seller, but is it really from a marketing and business perspective?

I'd personally like to see the ute stay as I think it's a great vehicle and it covers a market, but it's appearing that it's becoming a 'niche market' also, as most of Ford's vehicles have started to become, be it by outpricing in other segments by other manufacturers, or by poor perception from the public.

I hope the public actually put their money where their mouths are in this instance, because it would be sad to see a vehicle of this calibre become a ghost...
And if the tone is set by want they want to sell...? If it's within budget to sell what customers want... then sure, no brainer. It can't hurt. But I seriously doubt there is a car out there where everything has been designed by what people want.

Ford's problem is they're skimping on the things people expect... like a lockable fuel door.

Not to mention no export, which isn't really their fault. But they can't spend more money on something that the parent company wants to analyse.... as in it's current form isn't up to snuff.... because of such povo cost cutting measures. A vicious cycle... which could end in disaster?

I can't imagine a Ford Australia not making and selling a sedan based ute. They invented the bloody thing.

Either Australians wanting Australian products are declaring they don't want Ford, because of treatment from the brand... or the product just doesn't compare? How can that be when Falcon is a great car?

FoA really need to attempt to save the Ute... instead of watching it die and hoping it'll get better. I suppose they could always make it more like the sedan... like Holden does which would cut costs in development and parts. Like IRS.... but the official word from executives isn't inspiring. It's like they really don't care.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #38
theboxmike

**** Ford America they clearly have no clue.

They screwed us from the beginning. Of course if you cut Derivatives your going to have less sales. Hell if the Falcon had a quarter of the money Ford US spent on making the Taurus we would end up with much much better car i bet.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #39
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

**** me dead..looks like my next ride will be a Holden Ute..if Ford can't commit then why bother. Slack
Old 05-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
And market research is 100% spot on and people in focus groups always tell the truth for a free lunch.

You will need to start coming up with another line, its getting a bit old.
Easy way to prove me wrong.......go and buy a new Australian Ford.....
Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Easy way to prove me wrong.......go and buy a new Australian Ford.....
Just for you, yeah sure no worries, why would I buy a car I dont want? There are other ways to go about, some dont even involve purchasing one.

Its ok, ill send you my CV just to make sure its ok to have an opinion. Or maybe my vehicle ownership record to validate anything I say.

Your equestrian skills must be quite refined by now.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #42
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
And if the tone is set by want they want to sell...? If it's within budget to sell what customers want... then sure, no brainer. It can't hurt. But I seriously doubt there is a car out there where everything has been designed by what people want.

Ford's problem is they're skimping on the things people expect... like a lockable fuel door.

Not to mention no export, which isn't really their fault. But they can't spend more money on something that the parent company wants to analyse.... as in it's current form isn't up to snuff.... because of such povo cost cutting measures. A vicious cycle... which could end in disaster?

I can't imagine a Ford Australia not making and selling a sedan based ute. They invented the bloody thing.

Either Australians wanting Australian products are declaring they don't want Ford, because of treatment from the brand... or the product just doesn't compare? How can that be when Falcon is a great car?

FoA really need to attempt to save the Ute... instead of watching it die and hoping it'll get better. I suppose they could always make it more like the sedan... like Holden does which would cut costs in development and parts. Like IRS.... but the official word from executives isn't inspiring. It's like they really don't care.
Alright, lets get real basic. Instead of focusing on a car, lets say it's an Apple iphone...perception is that the iphone is awesome...and there is always a queue to buy Apple products...why?

Is it because the product is fantastic?

Or is it because their marketing tells people it's fantastic?

There's a big difference between reality and fiction - Apple create fiction well, and convince society that they need it. It's all about keeping up with the Jones'. Some people love the iphone, some loathe it...marketing or no marketing. The same applies to the ute...but there's a catch...

As far as a lockable fuel door goes, I don't see any need for it and I doubt many others would either, and to be honest, this is the first time I've even heard it mentioned. That being said, I don't really get out much to listen to what Joe Consumer 'wants'...which is usually based on what someone else already 'has' and utilises to their benefit with their marketing, indicating that Ford needs it and is lost without it...

These types of articles are making the situation look a lot worse than it really needs to, which gets the consumer talking about 'Ford going down the gurgler' yet again, which doesn't really help perception at all does it?

I don't think exports will ever be lucrative for Australian car manufacturers, not by a long shot - the costs involved aren't worth the ROI, which would be minimal at best...

Long and the short of it is that every product has a life-cycle...we've seen it with the XA all the way through the the FG. Everything has a cycle and must either come to the end of that cycle, or be changed to suit the current 'demand' for the product, as the models over the decades have shown.

If you observe what Ford are doing, you will see there are quite a few advertisements floating about on TV for the Ranger...how many ad's have you seen based on the ute? And what is happening, sales of the Ranger are increasing, sales of the ute...well, that's debatable.

My question is, 'what's the real plan Mr. FoA?'

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 05-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #43
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Falcon Ute..

No V8 Base model..
No V8 Sports Model..
No LPG I6..
No RTV..

Yeah.. i really wonder why compared to past times they arn't moving the numbers.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #44
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

If the holden ute sells well then ford would be stupid not to go after the market share.
Problem is that they don't make the equivalent most popular model ie SS V8
Old 05-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #45
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Exactly. E-Gas was up to 40% of the Ute sales. Will be great to see what EcoLPi can achieve.

Graziano/Donavon are also saying that the market is moving to the sports segment. So, a separate cab and chassis like we have now will go. Something similar to the traditional Falcon ute / current VE with no gap will transpire and IRS will be fitted as standard.

With an XR8 Ute they can also more accurately assess whether the sports ute segment has more legs too.
EcoBoost will also come into play later and maybe give people who would otherwise go for a diesel 4x2 Jap pickup second thoughts. It will offer similar performance and economy to a diesel so I think this could be a win for the ute.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 05-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #46
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Agree 100% Sez

It seems that Ford are looking to drop the product, rather than determine why it is not selling and fix that.
This can be a valid business strategy depending on many things. But it can also be a mistake.

Ford having a wagon contributed to the reputation of the Falcon more than it did directly to the bottom line, same of RTV and LWB.
Drop these less profitable lines might make sense from a unit profitability perspective, but in the process you depreciate the "Name", and the sale of the profitable derivatives also declines.

Now this may be because they want "one Ford", but if that means dropping the Falcon, then it will push Ford Oz from a one time sales leader to a niche brand.

I would like to table also another failure of Ford marketing (IMHO) - the Tez should have also carried the Falcon Name - to maximise the goodwill, the reputation.

The Tez took wagon sales, and replaced the falcon name with another.

Ford has in the Falcon a car that is in every way on Par with the Commo - but they are wrecking its reputation, with the whittling of the name (and product line) and the uncontrolled press.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #47
fat289
fat289

Start fitting the ute with the Terror diesel engine & watch em got out the door then !!!
They already have it sorted in the Terror , pretty simple variation really !!

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #48
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
Start fitting the ute with the Terror diesel engine in RTV form & watch em got out the door then !!!
They already have it sorted in the Terror , pretty simple veriation really !!

You would have thought that would be a no brainer, much like an Egas Territory would have been a big seller since 2004 but they never did it and don't intend on with the new gas system either.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Just for you, yeah sure no worries, why would I buy a car I dont want? There are other ways to go about, some dont even involve purchasing one.

Its ok, ill send you my CV just to make sure its ok to have an opinion. Or maybe my vehicle ownership record to validate anything I say.

Your equestrian skills must be quite refined by now.
So what do you ACTUALLY want to buy?
With real money......

Not what you think others want to buy just because you think it is really cool.

All the negative people here. Sezzy is right, you only want it because you can't have it and when you can have it you don't want it.

FPV GS V8 ute, THE FASTEST UTE EVER SOLD is available for about the same price as a 2003 XR8 and less than any Pursuit ever.....whinge whinge

XR6/XR6T ute...what is the problem with them?

LPG ute? Maybe they will release it after the car is selling or maybe they think that tradies will not put up with the goo instead of a real spare tyre as they tend to drive in places other than smooth urban roads.

I have not seen any posts in here from tradies who have ever bought a new falcon (or holden for that matter) ute and just a couple from "weekend warrior" lifestyle ute buyers.

Oh and I recently bought a new Ford ute, a Ranger, because it was 4WD, twin cab, ran on diesel and has good ground clearance.

I thought that was a better idea than just sooking about falcon ute not having any of those features and spitting dummies until they did......
Old 05-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #50
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

The V8 ute is something that is near and dear to my heart.
I've owned, and worked out of, Holden one tonners (even owned a 2 tonner for a while), an F100, a Chev C20, Falcon one tonners, a BA XR8 (that i fitted a steel tray to), and finally my Boss 315 powered RTV tray. All of the Falcons have been bought new.
Two requirements for my ute's, a decent sized tray and a bent 8 under the bonnet.
At the moment Ford is the only manufacturer who produces a vehicle that is anywhere near what I want (I can buy a GS, fit a tray, extra leaves in the back and some 16'' wheels with load rated tyres).
I've just bought a new FG one tonner (a 6, I'm not spending $55k on a work ute for one of the boys to wreck, err, drive), and hope purchase a GS for myself early in the new year, so please Ford, don't drop the ute just yet.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
Old 05-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #51
Mad_Pom

FAT289 & FPV8U
No brainer - what are you smoking?
Diesel only fits in Territory with EPAS and adding EPAS to Falcon front end is a tear up to suspension modules.
LPG on Territory would either loose 3rd row seat or reduce loading space both key attributes for this segment.
Why assume that Ford engineers are stupid? Trying taking a closer look at the engineering issues that need to be balanced to produce a product that customers would buy.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #52
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pom
FAT289 & FPV8U
No brainer - what are you smoking?
Diesel only fits in Territory with EPAS and adding EPAS to Falcon front end is a tear up to suspension modules.
LPG on Territory would either loose 3rd row seat or reduce loading space both key attributes for this segment.
Why assume that Ford engineers are stupid? Trying taking a closer look at the engineering issues that need to be balanced to produce a product that customers would buy.

Fair point with the Diesel in the Falcon ute especially with it's obviously shortened lifespan going into the future.

The Territory Gas systems seem to be quite popular in the aftermarket, while yes not everything is simple as bolting in a gas tank and a Egas engine i imagine it could have been engineered in easily by now since the Territorys launch in 2004, but, now they have the Diesel engine its not likely to be worth doing.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #53
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have not seen any posts in here from tradies who have ever bought a new falcon (or holden for that matter) ute and just a couple from "weekend warrior" lifestyle ute buyers.
That's exactly what the other half did...brand spanking new BA first and then XR6T ute...to throw paint in. Although most tradies I see these days tend to have Mitsubishi Tritons, Mazda bt50's, etc...and very rarely a styleside to be seen...

That being said, when you get to the nitty gritty of it, most families can't afford two brand new cars, carting kids is impossible in a ute...it's not like you can put them in the back is it?

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #54
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Thanks KBC, you just saved me a whole lot of typing...

Ford have no-one but themselves to blame for the deaths of a lot of their traditional vehicles.
Vehicles that continue to exist within other manufacturers offerings, so there ARE markets for them.

Looks like my FG2 when I get it will be worth keeping.

Ed
Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #55
Mad_Pom

FPV8U
Engine - no problem, but where would you put the tank?
What feature would you remove, or which attribute would you compromise?
Remember a manufacturer can not mount the LPG tank like a crash buffer as other after market kits do, would never pass a crash test to ANCAP 5 star.
So you would have to mount it behind the second row seat - Ugly, no 3rd row and less lugage space.
Also if you look at the SUV segment Diesel is king !! Follow the crowd, all be it a little late !!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #56
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Alright, lets get real basic. Instead of focusing on a car, lets say it's an Apple iphone...perception is that the iphone is awesome...and there is always a queue to buy Apple products...why?

Is it because the product is fantastic?

Or is it because their marketing tells people it's fantastic?

There's a big difference between reality and fiction - Apple create fiction well, and convince society that they need it. It's all about keeping up with the Jones'. Some people love the iphone, some loathe it...marketing or no marketing. The same applies to the ute...but there's a catch...

As far as a lockable fuel door goes, I don't see any need for it and I doubt many others would either, and to be honest, this is the first time I've even heard it mentioned. That being said, I don't really get out much to listen to what Joe Consumer 'wants'...which is usually based on what someone else already 'has' and utilises to their benefit with their marketing, indicating that Ford needs it and is lost without it...

These types of articles are making the situation look a lot worse than it really needs to, which gets the consumer talking about 'Ford going down the gurgler' yet again, which doesn't really help perception at all does it?

I don't think exports will ever be lucrative for Australian car manufacturers, not by a long shot - the costs involved aren't worth the ROI, which would be minimal at best...

Long and the short of it is that every product has a life-cycle...we've seen it with the XA all the way through the the FG. Everything has a cycle and must either come to the end of that cycle, or be changed to suit the current 'demand' for the product, as the models over the decades have shown.

If you observe what Ford are doing, you will see there are quite a few advertisements floating about on TV for the Ranger...how many ad's have you seen based on the ute? And what is happening, sales of the Ranger are increasing, sales of the ute...well, that's debatable.

My question is, 'what's the real plan Mr. FoA?'
People always compare their options. This is why they put specifications in advertisements. And the ones that don't have the basics... tend to get overlooked. Even if they don't have them. It's the way the world is now... more is better. Not enough is better... more.

Does Ford need to take the Falcon to a more premium level.... make it more expensive then what it is... make it more comparable/desirable?

Does Ford Australia want to be rid of the Falcon... or does Ford NA? Are FoA deliberately letting the car sink... or is FNA tying their hands, and not letting them improve the car beyond what's been bought and paid for and scheduled? Or is the management of this multinational so stupid as to not act, and let this great product fall into disrepute?

Can poor sales justify killing off something? Or is trying to make it a better seller, just too hard?

Can Falcon not find a place in the global empire? Or is it's Australian development a repulsion?

I guess I'm biased because I'd prefer to buy something Aussie made.... and Ford employ a lot of clever people over here. And to me that's important, rather than keeping Johnny communist in bowls of rice for the the foreseeable.

These are the things I think of when Ford decide the fate of something that is missing in their portfolio in other parts of the world... and it doesn't get the support it needs. But some portly FWD POS with all the appeal of herpes is getting such loving attention.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #57
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
People always compare their options. This is why they put specifications in advertisements. And the ones that don't have the basics... tend to get overlooked. Even if they don't have them. It's the way the world is now... more is better. Not enough is better... more.

Does Ford need to take the Falcon to a more premium level.... make it more expensive then what it is... make it more comparable/desirable?
The comparing of options is a built up marketing scheme devised by these companies to make their product more appealing to the consumer - cleverly dressed trickery, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Personally I'd prefer to pay for a vehicle minus the gadgetry that they add to some of these vehicles, Buy a referdex/melways for 20 bucks and find my own way to where I need to go - the gadgetry being installed in vehicles is to me, the epitome of laziness in the consumer...Are we not clever enough to figure out where we need to go beforehand anymore, do we lack the dexterity to park our own vehicles...? (Don't answer that, it's rhetorical)...Reversing sensors because we can't judge distance properly anymore...my spacial ability is *****, but I've never once reversed into anything or driven forward into anything and have never had the need for such a piece of gadgetry...it goes on and on. I guess at the end of the day, the question is - what is actually truly important in a vehicle? Is the quest for more and more potentially pushing the Falcon out of the price range...?

Then why does the Falcon get overlooked? The engine is far better, more economical, easier to steer, see from (important for short people). The Falcon is by far a better build than it's direct competitor, is it that they aren't depressing the price to be in line with a company that are great at marketing but very poor when it comes to money management that is the problem? Possibly, possibly not. I'm not an economist, I don't know the answers but I don't like where it's heading...

Quote:
Does Ford Australia want to be rid of the Falcon... or does Ford NA? Are FoA deliberately letting the car sink... or is FNA tying their hands, and not letting them improve the car beyond what's been bought and paid for and scheduled? Or is the management of this multinational so stupid as to not act, and let this great product fall into disrepute?
I'm sure the answers to those questions will become apparent in time, at the moment, it's the bad press that's killing the car (IMO of course), not the car itself.

Quote:
Can poor sales justify killing off something? Or is trying to make it a better seller, just too hard?
Poor sales unfortunately can not only destroy a particular model, but destroy a manufacturer if they continue to pour money into something that is nearing the end of it's life-cycle. I'm not saying the Falcon is, I'm just saying the perception seems to be heading that way at the moment. Even those who were once loyal to the brand seem to stick their boots in given an opportunity.

Quote:
Can Falcon not find a place in the global empire? Or is it's Australian development a repulsion?
I think given the current situation economics-wise, the Falcon is considered a liability, it works in Australia. I would personally like to see the Falcon replace the Taurus...and the R&D go into remodeling the Falcon into a 'World Class Vehicle' that everyone so desperately cries out for in Australia.

Quote:
I guess I'm biased because I'd prefer to buy something Aussie made.... and Ford employ a lot of clever people over here. And to me that's important, rather than keeping Johnny communist in bowls of rice for the the foreseeable.
Then the best you can do, is continue to buy Australian. I'd like to do the same...and not just in the car I choose, but the food I eat, etc.

Quote:
These are the things I think of when Ford decide the fate of something that is missing in their portfolio in other parts of the world... and it doesn't get the support it needs. But some portly FWD POS with all the appeal of herpes is getting such loving attention.
I think it would be a poor choice to end production on such a vehicle, however, if the market doesn't want that, and the cost to continue operation is not economically viable, unfortunately, that's the way the cookie crumbles. :(

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 05-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #58
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
I suspect they do a huge amount of research into what customers want to buy.

The problem in this thread is that they are only asking people who ACTUALLY buy new cars........
More people use to buy XR8 utes then XR6 Turbo utes.. If they did what people demanded why not kill the XR6 Turbo ute? XR6 Turbo sales have dropped % since they killed the XR8, why is that?? I think it tells us something, e.g. people use to come shopping at Ford for XR8 and end up with XR6 Turbo vice versa, now the ones who want V8 only bother going to Holden.. Holden still sells bucket loads of SS / SSV variants, especially in utes!

More people bought RTV utes then XLS/R6 utes, so why didnt they kill the R6 instead? The only reason why Ford killed the RTV was to help Ranger, a vehicle that some months they cannot supply, and in a single cab XL combo is a pretty ordinary car (you would only buy it in a dual cab). RTV Egas was a huge local government seller.. up to 250 RTV's were sold a month in the early days... Thats 3000 units a year and the only cost was a bit of R&D on suspension.

Each few years they delete a model / option, its killing their business slowly. Not having EGAS sedans / utes for the last 12 months has cost them probably close to 8000 units... Sadly alot of those fleets now buy hybrids, something they would not have been pushed into if it was not for Fords lack of planning and new model roleout.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #59
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I bought an XR6T ute for work everyday. I also have an XLT 4WD Ranger. The falcon is heaps nicer to driver and sit in. The ranger is a great truck but thats just it, its a truck. I want the refinement of a car with a big boot as a daily workhorse. I had a 2wd ranger which I traded to get the XR after only a year. I should have bought the Falcon straight up. Would have only been a base model, and a little more expensive but its not that much more. So I will be hugely disappointed if im expected to have to buy a ranger as a daily work horse if I want to have a blue oval out front. Im a loyal Ford buyer, and have bought the 3 above mentioned vehicles in the last 4yrs but its unlikely I will be opening my wallet in a Ford dealership if the is no Ute on display.
Troubling times ahead.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #60
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
The comparing of options is a built up marketing scheme devised by these companies to make their product more appealing to the consumer - cleverly dressed trickery, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Personally I'd prefer to pay for a vehicle minus the gadgetry that they add to some of these vehicles, Buy a referdex/melways for 20 bucks and find my own way to where I need to go - the gadgetry being installed in vehicles is to me, the epitome of laziness in the consumer...Are we not clever enough to figure out where we need to go beforehand anymore, do we lack the dexterity to park our own vehicles...? (Don't answer that, it's rhetorical)...Reversing sensors because we can't judge distance properly anymore...my spacial ability is *****, but I've never once reversed into anything or driven forward into anything and have never had the need for such a piece of gadgetry...it goes on and on. I guess at the end of the day, the question is - what is actually truly important in a vehicle? Is the quest for more and more potentially pushing the Falcon out of the price range...?

Then why does the Falcon get overlooked? The engine is far better, more economical, easier to steer, see from (important for short people). The Falcon is by far a better build than it's direct competitor, is it that they aren't depressing the price to be in line with a company that are great at marketing but very poor when it comes to money management that is the problem? Possibly, possibly not. I'm not an economist, I don't know the answers but I don't like where it's heading...

I'm sure the answers to those questions will become apparent in time, at the moment, it's the bad press that's killing the car (IMO of course), not the car itself.

Poor sales unfortunately can not only destroy a particular model, but destroy a manufacturer if they continue to pour money into something that is nearing the end of it's life-cycle. I'm not saying the Falcon is, I'm just saying the perception seems to be heading that way at the moment. Even those who were once loyal to the brand seem to stick their boots in given an opportunity.

I think given the current situation economics-wise, the Falcon is considered a liability, it works in Australia. I would personally like to see the Falcon replace the Taurus...and the R&D go into remodeling the Falcon into a 'World Class Vehicle' that everyone so desperately cries out for in Australia.

Then the best you can do, is continue to buy Australian. I'd like to do the same...and not just in the car I choose, but the food I eat, etc.

I think it would be a poor choice to end production on such a vehicle, however, if the market doesn't want that, and the cost to continue operation is not economically viable, unfortunately, that's the way the cookie crumbles. :(
Soon youll only be able to buy an XR6... because thats all they seem to build / sell at the moment. With a car like the Falcon you need to give people options.. If i go and buy a BMW i get about 300 different combinations I can buy, with Ford now you get about 3 factory options...
Closed Thread