Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #31
Faker
Certified Nutcase

As others have implied, when you ride a bike on the road you have to make assumptions.
To be safe you have to assume that no other road user can see you and be prepared to avoid an accident at all times. If you ride a bike the way you drive a car you can almost guarantee having an accident.
It may be a car drivers fault but it is much better not to get injured in the first place.
I have known quite a few accident victims who would still be here today or not have a permanent injury if they had taken stock of what was going on around them and anticipated others actions.
Simply ride like you are invisible. You very quickly learn to look much further and wider than when in a car.
Old 26-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #32
EABOSS
Dumped

Highly Recommended
Got a 2004 R1 in Red/Black with PowerCommander and full race tuned exhaust.
Hammers hard and blows everything on the road.
Had few accidents in my years.....bad ones too so something you have to think about buddy....cause everyone is bound to stack!

Plus, never buy Kawasaki's.....sh1t bikes....crap of crap!

LIFE TIME/SPAN OF A MOTORBIKE RIDER------11 YEARS! (HardCore)
Old 26-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #33
Sainter

I'm thinking about getting my licence soon, and got my eyes on a Suzuki GS500. Because I'm fairly big I thought that might be a better choice than a CBR or the likes. I'll just go to alot of dearlers and get a feel of a couple before I choose.
Sainter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #34
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

My instructor opened the course with one simple line, which I reckon sums it up pretty much perfectly..

"Assume every single car driver is a homicidal maniac who's come out today with the sole intention of running you over when you least expect it.. and you'll be right"

I'm currently on my L's and highly recommend it to anyone considering it.. but you truly do have to have a serious dose of healthy paranoia.. especially around school dropoff and pickup time.. as was mentioned above, the scariest people are the soccer mums in urban assault vehicles (commonly known as pajeros and landcruisers)..
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #35
ziggee

I know this aint possible.....

But everyone should have to ride a bike first (12 months before you get a car)...

That would make much much better car drivers. (perhaps more aware)

The things you have to be aware of when you ride, makes such a difference when you then go for a drive. IMHO.

I know its flawed idea, becuase I have fallen back into the semi bad habits of the feeling of security behind a car wheel, BUT i am always always on the look out for bike riders, and will do what ever I can to help them ride

Also I have found that when you ride, you use the other cars sometimes as protection aka at crossings for example..

I'm spewing as I have not ridden in about 4 months (before that it was daily), as bike needs repairs... But I'd love to be back on it.

before it broke
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #36
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

GTFPV, you say Kawasaki, mountain roads, and never let it get boring ?
This me on my Kawasaki not being bored on said roads

Edit, Opps, sorry about pic size.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #37
oneredED
need more boost

Bikes are the best fun ever.
Nothing will compare to a bike for speed or feeling of fun.
Every ride is an adventure.
I dont find riding so dangerous, im aware that im screwed if i come off or hit something but you build up a 6th sense and often can spot dangerous situations.

I just bought a Suzuki TL1000R ro replace my Aprilia 250. Yay for me.
Get a bike. Chicks will love you and you will be cool. Oh yeah
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #38
ziggee

Falcon Coupe : Love the pic of "knee scraper"!!!! is that a ride down the GOR by any chance?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #39
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

13 years since I had a bike, used to love it. But I'm too cosy in my cage with climate control now.... LOL :eclipsee_
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #40
gtfpv
GT

WOW . thanks for all the advice everyone . to many posts to reply to but i'll take them all on board . sounds like there is a lot to think about. what can i say i'm not put off yet . and take my hat off to all who gave me some bike wisdom . cheers .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 12:42 AM   #41
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Lots of good advice here but I cant believe no one else has said this. 1000 isnt that much to spend on safety gear. An ok helmet can cost like 500 bucks. For a real good one you can pay a bit more. Ive seen jackets going for at least 1000 before. When I start riding Ill be spending as much as I can afford on gear. I recommend the same. And 1000 wont go far if your buying boots and things too.

Depending on my situation later this year/early next year I may be riding around on a cbr250rr. Gonne be alot of fun round my house. This is where all the blokes in perth come up to to have fun. In cars and on bikes. Bloody good living up here
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #42
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggee
Falcon Coupe : Love the pic of "knee scraper"!!!! is that a ride down the GOR by any chance?
No Ziggee, it was taken on one of my favourite corners under the Arthur's Seat chair lift, not long after that i bought my 1st set of titanium scrapers, sparks are fun !
Old 27-05-2006, 12:57 AM   #43
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

9 Bonuses of being a bike rider.

1) Having to look out for other incompetent drivers constantly.
2) Always being either freezing cold, or boiling hot.
3) Getting wet when it rains.
4) Always having to be super cautious of road surfaces.
5) Those bloody little reflectors on the road.
6) Looking in the rear vision mirror to see your riding mate is no longer behind you.
7) Turning around to look for him, whilst 1000 thoughts race through your head.
8) Finding him lying in the middle of the road in a bloody heap.
9) Having him die in your arms.

If you get into riding seriously, which you maybe will in time, expect to lose mates, and maybe even have your mates lose you.

Apart from that, riding a big-bore sports bike is a surreal feeling. Get on a superbike, and you WILL become god!!
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 01:03 AM   #44
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
I dont find riding so dangerous, im aware that im screwed if i come off or hit something but you build up a 6th sense and often can spot dangerous situations.

Birthday:
September 13, 1985
Someone's a little over confident/cocky?

My dad's been riding since he was young, he's come off twice (BOTH due to a car) the second time he put it down at 80k's. X-ray's showed a spine that was EXTREMELY close to just about snapped in half...sideways, months of chiro to fix that and it's still not good (10yrs later). He hasn't riden since (Bike was a Yamaha XS1100 for anyone interested)
He' driven/riden everything from 250cc bikes to B-double semi's. (I don't think he got his triple licence), he won't allow me to ride a bike and I won't go against him, as much as i'd love to.. I know he knows what he's talking about & the risks involved.
My (miniumum) 2c (as approved by howards workplace legislations) + GST
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 06:20 AM   #45
kiwi_xr8
Cowboy

A definite yes for motorcycles! I've bought my first Harley in 2000 and last year got my second one - 1550cc Deuce. I love it! It handles awesomely and it is great on trips. I also ride to work. Nothing like it for unwinding after the odd crappy day. You do have to watch out for idiots and wet roads require a little more consideration. I've driven my XR8 18000 kms in the last year and the Harley has 17000 kms for the year. My preference? Hard to say!!
kiwi_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #46
scrubber
KICK START

Cool

Quote:

But everyone should have to ride a bike first (12 months before you get a car)...

The things you have to be aware of when you ride, makes such a difference when you then go for a drive. IMHO.

I know its flawed idea, becuase I have fallen back into the semi bad habits of the feeling of security behind a car wheel, BUT i am always always on the look out for bike riders, and will do what ever I can to help them ride

Also I have found that when you ride, you use the other cars sometimes as protection aka at crossings for example..

I'm spewing as I have not ridden in about 4 months (before that it was daily), as bike needs repairs... But I'd love to be back on it.

before it broke
couldnt agree more ziggee, i have said that for years, but some people dont even have that sense of balance or coordination to ride a bike.once you stop riding every day you loose that edge,that reflex action that gets you out of trouble .never ride anthing that doesnt have the power to get you out of trouble.those of you who havnt riden for years and have just found themselves again have said ....look how many new drivers there are on the roads,thousands more than ten/twenty yrs. ago some of them imports with their own ideas on how they drive. i still wouldnt swap my bike riding years for all tea in china and i am not about to stop.you have to keep in touch.sharpen your instincts...ride on!!!
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 02:39 AM   #47
LeMans

Quote:

before it broke
[/IMG]
This has been shown to be the case in studies too. Amongst other things, it has been shown that motorcyclists tend to scan their surroundings, even when in a car. A non-rider tends to spend more time looking directly ahead.

Also, as a rider, I now no longer see the world in absolutes when it comes to right-of-way. I always look at another vehicle as a contender for a collision, regardless of whether I have right of way.
LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #48
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABOSS
Highly Recommended
Got a 2004 R1 in Red/Black with PowerCommander and full race tuned exhaust.
Hammers hard and blows everything on the road.
Had few accidents in my years.....bad ones too so something you have to think about buddy....cause everyone is bound to stack!

Plus, never buy Kawasaki's.....sh1t bikes....crap of crap!

LIFE TIME/SPAN OF A MOTORBIKE RIDER------11 YEARS! (HardCore)

Yeah right..........
May 06 AMCN mag :

Power:

Kawasaki ZX10: 127kw / 112nm

Suzuki GSXR1000: 120kw / 108nm

Yamaha R1: 119kw/ 101nm

So yeah, i guess your R1 would beat a crap Kawasaki with full exhaust and a power commander, but stock, the ZX10 beats it power and torque @ lower rpm 12,260 vs 12,670.

Top speeds quoted R1 over 280kph, ZX10 over 290kph.
I like all the litre sports bikes, and i'm a Kwaka fan, you're not the only rider on FF mate so keep the silly comments to your self.

Ohh, if you don't believe Motor cycle news, a short VIDEO of a stock ZX10 doing quarter mile, circuit lap time and speedo stopping @ 299 well before he finishes accelerating tells no lies.
Old 28-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #49
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

That was me posting, jared forgot to log out on my comp.

Not cocky at all, just saying that riding isnt the deathtrap that people think it is. I understand your dads feelings on the matter though, my parents were the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
Birthday:
September 13, 1985
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #50
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Yeah right..........
May 06 AMCN mag :

Power:

Kawasaki ZX10: 127kw / 112nm

Suzuki GSXR1000: 120kw / 108nm

Yamaha R1: 119kw/ 101nm

So yeah, i guess your R1 would beat a crap Kawasaki with full exhaust and a power commander, but stock, the ZX10 beats it power and torque @ lower rpm 12,260 vs 12,670.

Top speeds quoted R1 over 280kph, ZX10 over 290kph.
I like all the litre sports bikes, and i'm a Kwaka fan, you're not the only rider on FF mate so keep the silly comments to your self.

Ohh, if you don't believe Motor cycle news, a short VIDEO of a stock ZX10 doing quarter mile, circuit lap time and speedo stopping @ 299 well before he finishes accelerating tells no lies.
You are right to an extent Falcon Coupe. And there is certainly nothing wrong with Kwakas.

But, as someone who has being religiously riding motorbikes for 18 years, goes test riding frequently, attends many track days, and has owned many bikes I can assure you that power, weight, 1/4 mile times, and lap times of any particular bike means NOTHING on the road.

A 2004 R1 with an average rider probably would have "blown away" most other makes of it's era on twisty road work (GSXR1000 was always going to be it's nemesis on track though), due to it's refined chassis/ suspension combination. In my eyes, it was probably the best of the R1s to date, in terms or public road ridabilty. I would still probably even rate the 2004 R1 as being probably the faster bike in the hills than current ZX10R, and GSXR, and current R1.

BUT, the CBR1000RR, although much slower and heavier, with practice, on the average public road would probably be capable of being even faster again, due to the unbelievable feedback from the chassis.

Also with bikes, power usability (not necessarily where the power/torque is, or how low down it is) is one of the most important factors. Anyone who has ridden one of the very first model R1s will know exactly what I'm talking about. Fantastic when harnessed on the track, but just plain stupid for road use.

It is for these very reasons why my VTR would leave most super sports riders for dead in tight hilly twisties.... Great chassis, usable power, tractive torque, excellent feedback and good weight balance. All this dispite it's mere 110hp vs 185kgs, primitive suspension, slow steering and relatively high centre of gravity. But on a track it was dead!

Unfortunately outright performance figures sell bikes. Bikes that are often slower in real life riding.

You'll be doing 95% of your riding on the road no doubt. So buy a bike accordingly.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #51
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
You are right to an extent Falcon Coupe. And there is certainly nothing wrong with Kwakas.

But, as someone who has being religiously riding motorbikes for 18 years, goes test riding frequently, attends many track days, and has owned many bikes I can assure you that power, weight, 1/4 mile times, and lap times of any particular bike means NOTHING on the road.
I know that well, i beat all my mates on the track, but i'm the one of the slowest on unknown windy rides, but my buddies have never had to help me pull my bike out of the bushes. _2:

Quote:
I would still probably even rate the 2004 R1 as being probably the faster bike in the hills than current ZX10R, and GSXR, and current R1.
I would say all the big bikes are that close it comes down to who values there life the most when riding in the hills, some riders have no regard for safety.

Quote:
It is for these very reasons why my VTR would leave most super sports riders for dead in tight hilly twisties.... Great chassis, usable power, tractive torque, excellent feedback and good weight balance. All this dispite it's mere 110hp vs 185kgs, primitive suspension, slow steering and relatively high centre of gravity. But on a track it was dead!

My TLR1000 could only just keep up with a Gixxer 750 in a straight line, but it still embarrassed many R1's on a horse power track (the point and squirt types at Phillip island).

Quote:
Unfortunately outright performance figures sell bikes. Bikes that are often slower in real life riding.
Ain't that the truth, i would say more than half the owners of litre sports bikes couldn't ride them to their full potential on the track, it took me some time to find the limit of a 99 ZX9R with 140rwhp, i can only image what the new ones are like.

Quote:
You'll be doing 95% of your riding on the road no doubt. So buy a bike accordingly.
Good advice there, i started on a 600 then 750, 900 and 1000, i worked my way up in experience as i went, even then i still came off twice, an aquaplane on a public road, and a high side turn 11 @ Phillip Island, but wearing full leathers, i walked away both times

My only regret is not dragracing my bikes, after i finish the GT i may look a ZX10, 9.56 @ 143mph bog stock is very tempting.
Old 29-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #52
HOON69
Banned

bikes are just as dangerous as cars except the injuries are ten fold..

imho if your keen to do mt runs and cross country go for it get all the right gear and enjoy,i myself will only be riding mine on weekends,mainly for mt runs and club events
i wouldnt personally ride one to and from work or in traffic we know how many idiots are on the roads these days and bike accidents are rising cause ppl are trying to short cut the fuel price wars and its leading to road toll climbing and more pressure to tighten the Learners permit etc

either way i'd def get road/cross country bike best of both worlds if only i though if that sooner :P
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #53
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
i'd def get road/cross country bike best of both worlds
Best of both worlds?
You mean to big and heavy for anything dirtier than gravel roads, and nasty knobby tires and soggy suspension that make them walk around in the twisties, and a lack of straightline HP that make them average at best on the road? No thanks.

A SuperMotard (Crosser on sticky 17" sportbike rubber) would be fun if all you rode were places like Mt. Nebo, but useless for more than a couple of miles in a straight line.
Old 29-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #54
cbr
Starter Motor

Default Honda CBR 1000

I have been riding Road Bikes now for Ten years now.. :sm_headba
I still can't find words the explain how much I love it.

It took me 8 years before I came off for the first time.
It was a freak accident,
I was riding 100khr in a straight line on a dry road.
I gently tapped the break to avoid speeding. (Long weekend double dermit points)
The bikes disappear so fast I was into my second summersault before I realised I differently wasn’t on the any more. Ouch

6 month later my second spill.
A speeding car ran a round about..
I was lucky and didn’t get hurt. I can’t say so much for my bike.

Is buying a bike a good idea?
That comes down to the person’s attitude
Some people should never get on a bike.

I’ll leave it at that, I could go on all night.
I still get excited just thinking about riding.

See you in rearview mirror
CBR.. LOL
cbr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #55
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a HD.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #56
NA XR6
!!

Bikes are fantastic.Road them for years with a few minor hiccups.As long as you remember you can die :newangel: at any moment with the most minor accident.You will be fine.
Goodluck
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #57
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Get a HD.
You left out the bit about dressing like the village people....
Old 30-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #58
Mutley

There's only one thing like a big bike... and that's a BIG bike.

According to Vic road stats, your 4 1/2 times more likely to be killed on a bike than a car.

My best mates son was killed on a bike. Two other mates of mine were killed in cars over the years. Can you say one is worse than the other?

I rode for 20 years every day, but sold my ZZR 1100 after my mates son was killed. I miss it every day and would buy one tomorrow if I could afford it (and was allowed too by the Missus).
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 01:16 AM   #59
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Get a HD.
At least get one (HD) that goes around corners and has brakes!!... A Buell
:
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #60
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED

Birthday:
September 13, 1985

My dad's been riding since he was young, he's come off twice (BOTH due to a car) the second time he put it down at 80k's. X-ray's showed a spine that was EXTREMELY close to just about snapped in half...sideways, months of chiro to fix that and it's still not good (10yrs later). He hasn't riden since (Bike was a Yamaha XS1100 for anyone interested)
He' driven/riden everything from 250cc bikes to B-double semi's. (I don't think he got his triple licence), he won't allow me to ride a bike and I won't go against him, as much as i'd love to.. I know he knows what he's talking about & the risks involved.
My (miniumum) 2c (as approved by howards workplace legislations) + GST
Those opinions posted in post #38 are not my views, they are the views of T_Terror (as he later posted).

I have a father who's sounds the same as yours FordFan86, in that he won't let me get my bike license. He lost a mate (ex bike racer) to a patch of ice and a guidepost when he was young, and as a result, if I get my licence, I lose all inheritance from him. He said after he dies, then yeah, If I still want to, then thats my choice...

We did get to the stage, my brother and I after having ridden dirt bikes for quite a while, where he nearly caved in to the idea of us gettin' licenses. That was until my brother had a motorcross accident and shattered his ankle. Then we slowly got him back around to the idea a year or so later, when my brother had another accident, only this time pretty damn bad. He broke 5 vertabrae high in his neck, after hitting 2 gumtrees and a guidpost with his head, and ended up upside down in a cyclone fence with the bike 30 metres away.

The reason however that he crashed, was because he wasnt expecting the unexpected, and I've learnt you have to, even on dirt bikes! Yeah, he was being an idiot at the time (wheelstand at 100km/h for in approximately 2 kilometres, kneeling both knees on the seat on an XR400), BUT his riding ability was not the problem, it was the unexpected that got him. The bike being a non-dry sump bike eventually ran dry up in the top end after being near vertical for so long and the motor seized and threw him off, and because he wasnt expecting it, he was unable to avoid the bike going end over end once the rear wheel locked...

I too have had my share of stacks, and falling off at 100km/h or even 140kmh (dirtbikes, private land) isnt always nearly as bad as you would think. However I've never fallen off with traffic around (only immovable objects like trees and logs etc, which you can most of the time plan your accident around if you think quick once you know you're gone), and I think thats what would scare me about a bike on the roads, is falling off due to another idiot, and being hit by another car afterwards...

Jared
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post