Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #31
RATT
In a Pug..

Regarding the Cruze sales numbers, have a look at an AVIS, Europcar or Thrifty car rental yard next time you drive past one..
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #32
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Regarding the Cruze sales numbers, have a look at an AVIS, Europcar or Thrifty car rental yard next time you drive past one..

I still think they are quite popular for private buyers if the 4-5 month waiting lists are anything to go by. I think the car is hitting the mark in the market, but to be honest im finding it hard to like the looks, the front just looks to fussy.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #33
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales
I doubt if I've seen more that a dozen Cruze's on the road but the figures here show that they should be everywhere!
Maybe they just don't stand out enough for me to notice them.

Hard to understand why Captiva out sell Territory maybe not having the diesel engine is really hurting the Territory sales.
Yep spot on, The Cruze really is (IMO) a very ordinary design that only seems to be favoured by the same sheep that are/were buying Holden/ Daewoo Barinas. Unfortunately it is fashionable to like Holdens whatever they are.

Holden could re-release the Lada Riva and rebadge it as a Torana and it would outsell the majority of cars on the market.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #34
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Escape - 0 sales.

Just kill the thing already and bring in the damn Kuga FFS.

Seems like 2800 odd Falcons is all Broady can build in a month, been at or about that for months now.
The reason for 0 Escape sales is that the model has been discontinued. I thought that would be obvious. Just because it's still listed on the Ford Australia website doesn't mean anything - Mitsubishi only just earlier this year pulled the 380 from it's website (about a year after production stopped), while Chrysler still lists the PT Cruiser Cabrio on it's Australian site, even though the vehicle ended production in 2007.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #35
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

As a bus driver you see a lot of whats out on the road and the Cruze's are absolutely everywhere, see them in driveways when plodding along trying not to run early, see em at traffic lights, infront of me, next to me etc etc..... they are doing very well.

IMHO, I think they are a very classy looking car, Sydney Buses are starting to buy some, asked someone last night what he thought of it, he said he can't fault the quality, or the handling and ride, its just a engine, so hopefully won't be long till the 1.4 turbo.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #36
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
As a bus driver you see a lot of whats out on the road and the Cruze's are absolutely everywhere, see them in driveways when plodding along trying not to run early, see em at traffic lights, infront of me, next to me etc etc..... they are doing very well.

IMHO, I think they are a very classy looking car, Sydney Buses are starting to buy some, asked someone last night what he thought of it, he said he can't fault the quality, or the handling and ride, its just a engine, so hopefully won't be long till the 1.4 turbo.

Stoney!
It's a shame the options list is pretty much nonexistant. You can't get a Cruze with automatic climate control, nor a sunroof.

The car is one of the heaviest in it's class - the CD auto weighs 1402kg, the CDX even more. That is HEAVY (more than the old imperial 1 1/2 tons). That's 200kg more than a Civic, and about the same weight as a VS Commodore!! (The 1996 VS Commodore Executive automatic weighed 1409kg).
Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #37
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
The reason for 0 Escape sales is that the model has been discontinued. I thought that would be obvious. Just because it's still listed on the Ford Australia website doesn't mean anything - Mitsubishi only just earlier this year pulled the 380 from it's website (about a year after production stopped), while Chrysler still lists the PT Cruiser Cabrio on it's Australian site, even though the vehicle ended production in 2007.
Saw six brand new escapes on a truck at Nerang on the gold coast today. No plates and tape over headlights.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #38
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Saw six brand new escapes on a truck at Nerang on the gold coast today. No plates and tape over headlights.
They would probably be the last ones, I'd say. Anyway I can't see the Kuga working in Australia. Small diesel SUVs don't sell well, and the only petrol engine offered in Kuga is a 2.5L turbo with 162 kW, which would be pricey and thirsty. If they brought it here they may manage 3-4k sales a year... whether or not that's worth it to them, I don't know. It certainly would have no chance of matching the big selling compact SUVs in sales.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #39
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They would probably be the last ones, I'd say. Anyway I can't see the Kuga working in Australia. Small diesel SUVs don't sell well, and the only petrol engine offered in Kuga is a 2.5L turbo with 162 kW, which would be pricey and thirsty. If they brought it here they may manage 3-4k sales a year... whether or not that's worth it to them, I don't know. It certainly would have no chance of matching the big selling compact SUVs in sales.

If they did bring them here my missus would be running to the dealership.
She allready pulls picture's from the net and shows visitors what her new car will be .
I tell her they wont be cheap and she tells me that a shame i will have to work a bit of overtime : .
She is not a car person by any means and she gets really exicited by these vechicles my guess is she wont be the only one.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #40
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
If they did bring them here my missus would be running to the dealership.
She allready pulls picture's from the net and shows visitors what her new car will be .
I tell her they wont be cheap and she tells me that a shame i will have to work a bit of overtime : .
She is not a car person by any means and she gets really exicited by these vechicles my guess is she wont be the only one.
Gee you best get saving snappy....because one day ford will bring it here and then you WILL have to buy one.

To be honest guys this escape bashing is worse than the Steve Richards bashing in The Pits forum. Despite the fact it is atcually quite a capable car (bet no-one bashing in on here has even driven one....) and while the latest model is poorly styled its all Ford's got for now. As explained repeatedly the Kuga is not ready in current form to bring here. Hasnt got the right engines, the right spec and would be pricey to source it. Rumours abound that the site in asia (prob thailand) chosen for new Focus production for aus will get the Kuga job for asia too (when the current escape/american escape will then be retired...). This will be late next year 2011. Then maybe when a global version is produced that has the right engines for the US/Asia etc. then it will come here.

I'd love to see it here tomorrow but FFS its been done a hundred times....ITS NOT READY YET! You can't launch a manual diesel only base model and a 2.5T 5pot top line in a small-SUV market dominated by 2-2.5 4cylinder Auto cars...you will get sweet FA sales!!!!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #41
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Gee you best get saving snappy....because one day ford will bring it here and then you WILL have to buy one.

To be honest guys this escape bashing is worse than the Steve Richards bashing in The Pits forum. Despite the fact it is atcually quite a capable car (bet no-one bashing in on here has even driven one....) and while the latest model is poorly styled its all Ford's got for now. As explained repeatedly the Kuga is not ready in current form to bring here. Hasnt got the right engines, the right spec and would be pricey to source it. Rumours abound that the site in asia (prob thailand) chosen for new Focus production for aus will get the Kuga job for asia too (when the current escape/american escape will then be retired...). This will be late next year 2011. Then maybe when a global version is produced that has the right engines for the US/Asia etc. then it will come here.

I'd love to see it here tomorrow but FFS its been done a hundred times....ITS NOT READY YET! You can't launch a manual diesel only base model and a 2.5T 5pot top line in a small-SUV market dominated by 2-2.5 4cylinder Auto cars...you will get sweet FA sales!!!!
Gee Swordsman are you repeating my post a few posts up? It sounds like you've taken everything from what I said and regurgitated it. Here was my message:

"...Anyway I can't see the Kuga working in Australia. Small diesel SUVs don't sell well, and the only petrol engine offered in Kuga is a 2.5L turbo with 162 kW, which would be pricey and thirsty. If they brought it here they may manage 3-4k sales a year... whether or not that's worth it to them, I don't know. It certainly would have no chance of matching the big selling compact SUVs in sales."

By the way, in Europe the diesel in the Kuga is not available with an auto, but the same diesel engine in the Focus IS, so I assume it would be no problem bringing a diesel auto.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #42
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Gee Swordsman are you repeating my post a few posts up? It sounds like you've taken everything from what I said and regurgitated it. Here was my message:

"...Anyway I can't see the Kuga working in Australia. Small diesel SUVs don't sell well, and the only petrol engine offered in Kuga is a 2.5L turbo with 162 kW, which would be pricey and thirsty. If they brought it here they may manage 3-4k sales a year... whether or not that's worth it to them, I don't know. It certainly would have no chance of matching the big selling compact SUVs in sales."

By the way, in Europe the diesel in the Kuga is not available with an auto, but the same diesel engine in the Focus IS, so I assume it would be no problem bringing a diesel auto.
Ah sorry about that Dave....i just went to the last post and responded. You are correct i basically repeated your views....would have been easier to just quote you LOL! Either way i hope people take not of the unfortunately repeated point which is that right now it just isn't viable.....even if it is a great car.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #43
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
It's a shame the options list is pretty much nonexistant. You can't get a Cruze with automatic climate control, nor a sunroof.

The car is one of the heaviest in it's class - the CD auto weighs 1402kg, the CDX even more. That is HEAVY (more than the old imperial 1 1/2 tons). That's 200kg more than a Civic, and about the same weight as a VS Commodore!! (The 1996 VS Commodore Executive automatic weighed 1409kg).
Lack of options is very true and rather annoying, one would think once they start making them in Australia there should be more to them, though as a VW owner I know that options can hurt also as they don't show up in resale. As I said before hopefully a CDXI variant should be made available and more standard kit once they start making em here.

They are heavy yes but they are also one of the biggest cars in its class, and the safest. Hence why the 1.8 is so pathetic. That and because its an old engine, the 1.4 turbo will pull its heft along much better.

Holden could do a lot with it once it starts getting made over here, but looking at the commodore they probbaly won't, Still no twin turbo or supercharged 3.6 in the SV6.....

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #44
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The graphical stats have been uploaded into the Tech Area now.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #45
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really does me to tears how much Cruze is selling !
Even harder to understand when I (and many others) simply can not see it's appeal or attraction.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #46
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The graphical stats have been uploaded into the Tech Area now.

Cheers
Russ
Thanks Russ!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #47
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The supplementary stats are now uploaded as well.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #48
XR8putts

Cheers for that RussellW.

Does anyone here know where one can get the FPV vs. HSV breakdown for November?

FPV did well a little while ago as we know, but what has happend since? How has the fugly E2 series been recieved by HSV loyalists? - I ask these questions becuase the HSV bloke in the other thread (Wheels comparison) seems to be a little scared of FPV, and I'd love to see what the numbers say.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #49
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Cheers for that RussellW.

Does anyone here know where one can get the FPV vs. HSV breakdown for November?

FPV did well a little while ago as we know, but what has happend since? How has the fugly E2 series been recieved by HSV loyalists? - I ask these questions becuase the HSV bloke in the other thread (Wheels comparison) seems to be a little scared of FPV, and I'd love to see what the numbers say.
I'll grab those numbers early next week and knock something together although December will probably be a better indicator after the E1 ru n outs have finished impacting the numbers.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #50
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i was reading cars guide the other day an they said that the ford falcon last month finally outsold the holdn ..in four doors only or something...which i thought was cool news
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #51
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
i was reading cars guide the other day an they said that the ford falcon last month finally outsold the holdn ..in four doors only or something...which i thought was cool news
Its now happend 2 months in a row that the falcon sedan has outsold its commodore counterpart, anyone have figures by how much? interesting to see of the gap has increased over last month.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #52
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its more a case that there has been a reduction in Commodore sedan sales because of the commodore hatch.. look at combined sales (they're not seperated anyway) which are at about the same rate v Falcon as total sedan sales prior to the hatch release.

Old 14-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I actually don't mind the look of the Cruze, the thing that turned me off it was the 1.8L engine in a 1400Kg car.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #54
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
Its now happend 2 months in a row that the falcon sedan has outsold its commodore counterpart, anyone have figures by how much? interesting to see of the gap has increased over last month.
yeah the article i read was something like 40 or 50 cars from memory..so not by heaps...
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #55
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
yeah the article i read was something like 40 or 50 cars from memory..so not by heaps...
There is always someone who has a glass half empty!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #56
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Yep Escape is not finished just yet.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #57
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I actually don't mind the look of the Cruze, the thing that turned me off it was the 1.8L engine in a 1400Kg car.
Yeah, but the doors make a nice thud, and at night time, the interior lights up!

Surely that is a selling point...it appears to have worked...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #58
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino

Holden must sell a hell of a lot of Sportwagons if this is the case.

Ford Falcon 2,863
Holden Commodore 3,956

take out the roughly 400 Falcon wagons sell a month and your looking at least 1500 Sportwagons (could be more depending on how much the Falcon sedan outsold the Commodore sedan). Coupled with the 1263 Captivas they sell, Holden is doing quite well with their family wagons.

(see attached article) MB seems to be backtracking a bit now saying that Falcon wagon could sell alongside Mondeo wagon, whereas before he said they could be eating each others sales. But its too late now, Euro IV is coming up so not enough time to engineer a FG wagon, typical. So its looking very likely Falcon wagon is gone.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...-for-now-17706
Old 15-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #59
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Holden must sell a hell of a lot of Sportwagons if this is the case.

Ford Falcon 2,863
Holden Commodore 3,956

take out the roughly 400 Falcon wagons sell a month and your looking at least 1500 Sportwagons (could be more depending on how much the Falcon sedan outsold the Commodore sedan). Coupled with the 1263 Captivas they sell, Holden is doing quite well with their family wagons.

(see attached article) MB seems to be backtracking a bit now saying that Falcon wagon could sell alongside Mondeo wagon, whereas before he said they could be eating each others sales. But its too late now, Euro IV is coming up so not enough time to engineer a FG wagon, typical. So its looking very likely Falcon wagon is gone.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...-for-now-17706
Um... NO... from my understanding Falcon wagons are not included with sedan sales like they are with the Commodore hatch..
That's about 1000 Commodore hatches a month V 400 Falcon wagons V 1000 Territory's a month....

Old 15-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #60
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Um... NO... from my understanding Falcon wagons are not included with sedan sales like they are with the Commodore hatch..
That's about 1000 Commodore hatches a month V 400 Falcon wagons V 1000 Territory's a month....
Are you sure? That would be the first time in its 40 year history not being included in total Falcon sales.