Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #31
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Look at the laptimes of all the quick 4x4’s (BMW X5 4.8, M55 and the Jeep). They are very good in a straight line but their lap times aren’t fantastic, and over a couple of laps I’m sure that the’d fall right away. Wouldn’t you really want to have something that has more “handling” than “grunt” – that means that you can get on the accelerator earlier and the brakes later? Straights are the more boring bits of racetracks.
Have never been able to cite the claim, but i remember hearing that the Porsche turbo soft roader laps the Nurburgring quicker than an R34 skyline.
Old 19-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #32
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Have never been able to cite the claim, but i remember hearing that the Porsche turbo soft roader laps the Nurburgring quicker than an R34 skyline.
Gulp! really?

Motor magazine had the Porsche Cayenne Turbo (not the latest bigger powered version) doing 1:46.12 and a BMW X5 (old model 4.6) doing 1:50.68 at Winton. Those times aren’t that flash on their own (but plenty fast for over 2000kg).

I can remember Evo magazine had a Cayenne Turbo getting near an Evo 6’s times at their Jonathan Palmer test track (which seemed really odd. i.e too quick).

I guess that these things on circuits are like tap dancing elephants. It's not a question of how well it tap dances rather that it can tap dance at all (and don't all the stability controls and clever dick brake and suspensions help).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 19-03-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #33
mean & green
EL XR6

if i had $89k to spend i think i could get a falcon that would beat it quite convincingly, and best of all i would still be in a ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mean & green is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #34
DeansXR8

Quote:
Look at the laptimes of all the quick 4x4’s (BMW X5 4.8, M55 and the Jeep). They are very good in a straight line but their lap times aren’t fantastic, and over a couple of laps I’m sure that the’d fall right away. Wouldn’t you really want to have something that has more “handling” than “grunt” – that means that you can get on the accelerator earlier and the brakes later? Straights are the more boring bits of racetracks.
i agree mate, they may all be quick weapons in a line,throw in a corner and it'll be all over.(or maybe they'll 4x4 the chicanes??)

The jeep, if you read the article also clean sweeped the 'design horrors' section of PCOTY (where they point out simple things that you'd expect in modern cars to be practicle or work.)
it'd be much like the cayenne never likely to see dirt and therefore designed around that.

would still be a great car don't get me wrong.
DeansXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #35
WASP
Whipple Induced

That's it, I'm going to trade in my GT on a Jeep!!..:alien2: So what do you reckon, the 40k+ change over would be worth it?

P.S I get the point of this thread by the way, just felt that a little sarcasm seemed appropriate..:newangel:
Old 19-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #36
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
London to a brick, Flappist loaded that title knowing he would get a response such as yours, flappist a very clever and if you dont give him the respect he desrves he will chew you up every time.

Effie agrees, How embarrasment.....

Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #37
StookEB

Why is every one taking this seriously, its only a Jeep. Yes its quick, comfortable, expensive, but what is its fuel usage, servicing costs, reliability.
Don't stress to much people its a 4X4 cruiser and alot more expensive and in another league of cars.
Old 19-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #38
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

But really, where do manufacturers draw the line. 13.5s-14s/400m is fast by some standards and slow by other standards. Its all relative to what an individual knows, thinks and/or experienced.

Ask an F1 driver if a V8 Supercar is fast and see what he'll tell you. And vice-versa, put me in an FPV GT and (me not being used to that much power) would tell you thats its definitely fast enough!!!

If FPV have a knee-jerk reaction and upped the power whenever the competitor released a faster product, they (the competitor) would do the same. But wait FPV will do the same in return. But no, the competitor won't have any of that... we'll end up with power war, government/press step in when both these manufacturers a building 11 second cars and put restrictions in place.

Even if it does come down to this, 11 seconds over the 1/4 mile is still too slow for some people.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #39
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
But really, where do manufacturers draw the line. 13.5s-14s/400m is fast by some standards and slow by other standards. Its all relative to what an individual knows, thinks and/or experienced.

Ask an F1 driver if a V8 Supercar is fast and see what he'll tell you. And vice-versa, put me in an FPV GT and (me not being used to that much power) would tell you thats its definitely fast enough!!!

If FPV have a knee-jerk reaction and upped the power whenever the competitor released a faster product, they (the competitor) would do the same. But wait FPV will do the same in return. But no, the competitor won't have any of that... we'll end up with power war, government/press step in when both these manufacturers a building 11 second cars and put restrictions in place.

Even if it does come down to this, 11 seconds over the 1/4 mile is still too slow for some people.
well said i reakon.

does anyone know what the quickest HSV will do 1/4m? just curious.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #40
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hasnt a Typhoon run 12.9 over the 1/4?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #41
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
That's it, I'm going to trade in my GT on a Jeep!!..:alien2: So what do you reckon, the 40k+ change over would be worth it?
Dont you dare!!!!! :

haha!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #42
keef
Starter Motor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
What a crack up Mate...

Poor UD
come on fella, must have some new arsenal there...
Old 19-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

Stop trying to ruin this with sense and logic. This is all about emotion, bling, posing and dribbling on in sthe school yard, maccas car park or pub......

I just want to hear a FPV/HSV salesmans answer to "Is this GT/GT-P/GTS/R8 as quick as a Jeep?"

And yes many FPVs and for that matter HSVs have done quicker times at where ever but NOT IN A MAGAZINE TEST. It is all about perception.

FPV PERFORMANCE INC*

* Tests run on a private road and NOT against some yank import crappy off road vehicles especially the Jeep SRT which in not really a fair comparison because it has the 300C SRT engine which is also not fair because it is 6.1 litres so there.........

/satire
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #44
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
stock>??? who knows...
have a chat to Spoolman. :
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #45
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
12.73 @ 109... auto F6 BF. By a forum member.

12.94 @ 108?... also auto, by a forum member.

13.262 @ 104.83... by turbocorty, BAII manual, stock.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3

Here's Road & Track, who got 13.2 @ 104.1mph from the SRT-8 Cherokee. US publications tend to wipe their butts with Aussie ones for 1/4 mile times (the 240kW SVT Cobra they sent us in 2002 that we got 14.5 - 14.7 out of in magazines, they got 13.5's from... lol!).

In the real world... I'd say an auto F6 vs SRT-8, F6 would be behind a little from the standing start... AWD vs RWD with big torque... then catch it and drive past. The manual? Won't catch it. Might even out, but doubt that. I've driven an auto F6, and, well... they're unbelievable cars.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #46
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Well as an XR8 driver im a little shamed that when i next time i go to calder if this 4x4 pulls up next to me it's going to kill me off the line and continue to pull away..and thats a stock one!

Make me again seriously consider the New Challenger, a 6.1L V8 and a Six Speed Manual in one of the sexiest retro shapes ever to be made...Not to many bad sides.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #47
Steffo
LPG > You

This is nothing new you know.

What happens if you pull up next to a 383kW Porsche Cayenne Turbo S? It does mid 12's, low 4's to 100km/h and tops out way higher then any Aussie stuff can. Its also almost as fast as a 996 911 Turbo on most race circuits (the standard 331kW Cayenne Turbo is 3 sec off the 996 Turbo at Eastern Creek).

What about a Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG? 378kW 6.2 V8. Or the up-coming VW Touareg W12... 336kW 6.0 W12. In the grand scheme of things, the SRT-8 is puny in super-SUV ranks.

:
Old 19-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #48
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Stop trying to ruin this with sense and logic. This is all about emotion, bling, posing and dribbling on in sthe school yard, maccas car park or pub......

I just want to hear a FPV/HSV salesmans answer to "Is this GT/GT-P/GTS/R8 as quick as a Jeep?"

And yes many FPVs and for that matter HSVs have done quicker times at where ever but NOT IN A MAGAZINE TEST. It is all about perception.

FPV PERFORMANCE INC*

* Tests run on a private road and NOT against some yank import crappy off road vehicles especially the Jeep SRT which in not really a fair comparison because it has the 300C SRT engine which is also not fair because it is 6.1 litres so there.........

/satire
Haha yeah its all about bragging rights. This IS the "Pub" after all.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #49
Rev28K
re

There was talk a few years ago (before DC put a “for sale” sign on Chrysler) about a V8 powered Corvette competitor called the Firepower. Imagine that Hemi in a 2 seat 1450ish kg coupe that can handle!
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 19-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
This is nothing new you know.

What happens if you pull up next to a 383kW Porsche Cayenne Turbo S? It does mid 12's, low 4's to 100km/h and tops out way higher then any Aussie stuff can. Its also almost as fast as a 996 911 Turbo on most race circuits (the standard 331kW Cayenne Turbo is 3 sec off the 996 Turbo at Eastern Creek).

What about a Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG? 378kW 6.2 V8. Or the up-coming VW Touareg W12... 336kW 6.0 W12. In the grand scheme of things, the SRT-8 is puny in super-SUV ranks.
Planet Steffo.......

I went to Brisbane Porsche Centre the other day to back trade my F6 on a new Cayenne Turbo S. They would only give me $20 cash and a 6 pack of VB change over but I didn't like the colour.

My other turbo 6 does over 300km/h and gets radared nearly every time but I have never been booked. I wonder if that is because they can't catch me because as turbo 6s go, this one really flys.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #51
Rev28K
re

Quote:
I went to Brisbane Porsche Centre the other day to back trade my F6 on a new Cayenne Turbo S.
Lucky you didn’t, that might’ve been expensive. Unless they were offering a discount for a soon to be superceded model.

I thought that the Turbo S got ditched in the recent facelift overseas (the new Turbo has the same power as the old Turbo S doesn’t it).

Quote:
My other turbo 6 does over XXXkm/h and gets radared nearly every time but I have never been booked
I'd be careful about posting that in a public forum that the police could read Flappist
Old 19-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #52
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Planet Steffo.......

I went to Brisbane Porsche Centre the other day to back trade my F6 on a new Cayenne Turbo S. They would only give me $20 cash and a 6 pack of VB change over but I didn't like the colour.

My other turbo 6 does over 300km/h and gets radared nearly every time but I have never been booked. I wonder if that is because they can't catch me because as turbo 6s go, this one really flys.....
Hahaha. All I did was point out, fast SUV's are nothing new... this one just happens to be fast and inexpensive (here).

:
Old 19-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #53
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
London to a brick, Flappist loaded that title knowing he would get a response such as yours, flappist a very clever and if you dont give him the respect he desrves he will chew you up every time.
Funny enough, I didn't show any disrespect.
Nor did I accuse him of anything.

And I am not left wing.

Nor will I suck up to people because I enjoy my cars for different reasons.

But I do like the sound of a Cleveland. Orgasmic.

: :newangel:
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #54
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Ok yeh but who cares...what are the chances that you will end up next to a $90, 000 Jeep at the lights anyway :P and even then thats a quarter mile time...what are they like 0-60?
jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #55
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go Flappist.Go Flappist,go Flappist....ROFLMAO

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #56
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Go Flappist.Go Flappist,go Flappist....ROFLMAO
I said my piece and meant nothing by it.

Not my fault if people choose to take it further.

Constructive post there mate.

Keep up the good work :hihi: :
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #57
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I said my piece and meant nothing by it.

Not my fault if people choose to take it further.

Constructive post there mate.

Keep up the good work :hihi: :

Gee did I have a go at you..."sarcasm used only by the most intelligent" and obviously...well you fill in the blanks..../......../.....

And don't use your crayons your mum hates having to clean them off the screen.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by MO; 19-03-2007 at 11:46 PM.
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #58
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg
Ok yeh but who cares...what are the chances that you will end up next to a $90, 000 Jeep at the lights anyway :P and even then thats a quarter mile time...what are they like 0-60?
4.6 seconds.

:
Old 19-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #59
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

My other turbo 6 does over 300km/h and gets radared nearly every time but I have never been booked. I wonder if that is because they can't catch me because as turbo 6s go, this one really flys.....[/QUOTE]

i may be reading this wrong but i believe you're not telling the WHOLE truth here? i suspect this has more to do with altitude than luck?

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #60
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Quote:
I'd be careful about posting that in a public forum that the police could read Flappist
i'll happily pay to watch the court case when he defends THAT charge lol