Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #31
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: ABC 4 Corners, investigation into animal cruelty

Well i have just just came back from a 1hr session punching the bags at 5 rings dojo and i am still ****ed off !!!

Why has this been brought up on a Ford Forum ???

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Not happy i have seen this at all .....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #32
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Well i have just just came back from a 1hr session punching the bags at 5 rings dojo and i am still ****ed off !!!

Why has this been brought up on a Ford Forum ???

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Not happy i have seen this at all .....
I brought it up because I hope it compels those who care to act.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #33
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=WWF6 310]Yes, it is very shocking! And not acceptable in my opinion.

As it is a Multi million dollar industry..

"Money, or loss of, as in most cases, will find it's own solution, what they need to do is have embedded inspectors at these places in question.. to ensure that people are trained in, and then pratice correct behaviours where animal slaughter is being undertaken."

They've already had training....by OUR industry....So what's that saying???
And anyway no amount of training will change 'those' peoples respect, appreciation or compassion for there ways of meat supply.... They have no conception of what many here are now greatly distressed and sickened by..... And don't get me started on that dog footage from 60minutes years ago....
Also to say that the animals have been sold and it's not up to us how they're treated is just as sickening!

Last edited by GASWAGON; 01-06-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #34
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

www.getup.org.au
Sign the online petition. 166000 People have since Tuesday morning!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #35
fast gt

I think the australian government should set up abbiotters ( i think thats how you spell it) over there and all australian cattle go through it with properly trained people and supervisors to make sure the cattle are treated properly!! I know it would never happen cos of the cost but its just a thought. I would like to go over there and kick those people in the head while they are tied up and see if they liked it!!! Or break their leg then go to town on them telling them to move!! or slaughtering their mates in front of them and getting them to watch!!! Im just very angry about this. NO living thing should have to go through that!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #36
icer
Winning's Winning!

...wow....

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #37
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't seen the footage yet, but the snippets on the TV the other night gave me enough of a clue.

I can see both sides of the story, stopping the exports because of the cruelty and inhumane treatment

and DASH's view about the local industry suffering if all live exports are stopped.

The other thing not mentioned by anyone here is the little villages over there that don't have proper and safe storage of fresh meat and that the one beast could be killed and shared amongst the villagers.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #38
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
I brought it up because I hope it compels those who care to act.
Yes mate i realise that ..
Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #39
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like this issue just won't go away for the government. Getup raised $180,000 within 3 hours to fund an advertising campaign. The amount of support is unprecedented, great stuff.

The advertisements start tomorrow
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #40
Paxton
Cobblers!

It is a shame the GetUp and I have diametrically opposed political views, or I would have donated to their campaign as well.

Halal meat isn't all it is cracked up to be. Unlike 'our' normal, and humane system of animal slaughter, where the animal is stunned, and then slaughtered, Halal slaughter is just a slit to the throat, and bleed out. Sorry old chap, you are dying in front of my eyes. I personally will go out of my way to ensure the meat I am eating is not halal for this reason. Kosher is slightly better.

Just something that I have not been able to work out (as I refuse to watch the report, mainly because I still mourn over my Dog, three years after she died), is that the animals being slaughtered in Indonesia, are they for Indonesian consumption, or for export back to Australia?

I was under the impression that the vast majority of meat sold in Australia was slaughtered and butchered in Australia. I have a cousin working in an Abattoir in Northern Queensland, and they're not slowing down in terms of business.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #41
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
It is a shame the GetUp and I have diametrically opposed political views, or I would have donated to their campaign as well.
I understand your point of view with regards to Getup. I unsubscribed from their campaigns a long time ago as my views were different to theirs. Neither do I share many of the views held by Andrew Wilkie, Nick Xenophon, Adam Brandt and the Greens but on this occasion I do agree with them thus have supported them.

Quote:
Halal meat isn't all it is cracked up to be. Unlike 'our' normal, and humane system of animal slaughter, where the animal is stunned, and then slaughtered, Halal slaughter is just a slit to the throat, and bleed out. Sorry old chap, you are dying in front of my eyes. I personally will go out of my way to ensure the meat I am eating is not halal for this reason. Kosher is slightly better.
Halal does permit the use of stun guns as long as the skull is not damaged or broken. I understand there is an issue with the use of Australian stun guns in Indonesia i.e. they are banned. The ones used there (seldomly) are ineffective. I don't understand the reason behind either forms of killings as the animals are already tense and distressed; the point of doing either forms is barbaric.

Quote:
Just something that I have not been able to work out (as I refuse to watch the report, mainly because I still mourn over my Dog, three years after she died), is that the animals being slaughtered in Indonesia, are they for Indonesian consumption, or for export back to Australia?

I was under the impression that the vast majority of meat sold in Australia was slaughtered and butchered in Australia. I have a cousin working in an Abattoir in Northern Queensland, and they're not slowing down in terms of business.
I don't believe the meat comes back to Australia but do not have facts to back that up. I understand the meat is for local consumption.

FYI the ad isn't pretty but nowhere as graphic as the report illustrated. I suspect it will cause the government irritation.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #42
Dustin_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
www.getup.org.au
Sign the online petition. 166000 People have since Tuesday morning!
I dont need to watch some 4 Corners tv show to know the horrors of animal slaughter in Indonesia.
I went to the site to sign the petition and it was largely about climate change.
Why do I get the feeling the climate change nuts are using this live cattle export crisis to further their climate change agenda?
Why am I not surprised?
Do they have any honour?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #43
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i signed up no worries... Saw nothing about climate change?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #44
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:

I dont think much (if any) meat comes back from Indonesia. Also, Id say 75% or more of the meat in Australia is Halal. All the abbotiors with any credibility do it, or with an export license. Youd be doing very well if you could fine decent non halal meat in Australia.
Funny thing is, the Indonesian export license for processed meat is one of the hardest out there to get. Yet they treat there meat the worst.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #45
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Banning Live Exports = Cattle being trucked 2000+ klm from the Top End to the nearest works. Instead of solving one cruelty issue, you'll create another.

The MLA have provided kill boxes & stun guns to most meatworks in Indo, clearly they need to do more to ensure this cruelty stops now.

Indo won't pay the money for our boxed beef. It's much cheaper for them to buy them from here at 350kg & under, ship them over & lot feed the cattle themselves. Labour is so cheap, most of the feedlots do everything by hand (Feeding, mixing etc)
Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #46
BHDOGS
Banned

I personaly have no problems with what indonesia does its just cattle that are breed to be slaughtered and eaten if it was dolphins tied to a mangrove then thats not good and hunt down the people responsible but lets put things into perspective
Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #47
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something does need to be done about live exports, that method of killing should not be excepted in this day and age.
It should also be noted that I do hope people realise that every single day millions of animals are slaughted like this across the world on private premises, not every country has a butchers shop on the corner, many millions of people still rear livestock and slaughter it, if you think what you saw on that report was bad you have absolutely no idea what else happens.
There were similar things happening in the middle east not long ago, a similar report focused on Egypt and it was no different to what happens in Indonesia, the Egyptions would slash the back of the cows leg so it would slice the muscle and tendon and it couldn't walk and they would force it into the room where it slid down and had its throat cut.

As bad as it sounds is some people need to learn where the food and your plate comes from and hopefully it will curb people being so wasteful and sometimes even being ungrateful (how often do we hear people whinging and complaining that there steak doesn't taste good at a restaurant), I know after being told what happens at an abattoir in Victoria you start to think more about meat products and being a lot more respectful that what I am eating actually came from a living creature whose only purpose was to be raised and then slaughter. Its why Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has recently been killing his own animals for food, he claims it is for a better understanding. http://www.smh.com.au/environment/an...527-1f778.html

Last edited by ford man xf; 06-06-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #48
Pis-ton broke
Banned

I partly watched it, as some of the scenes where
a bit much for me to watch. I was upset about
the hole thing, and I can,t understand how people
can be this way? I didn,t know what to do but I
felt that I could do something, so I wrote a lettter
to the ABC and signed the pettion. After a week
those images sit in my mind, I will never forget.

Good on Lyn White for doing what she has done,
she shore is a brave women. If it wasn,t for her ,
well I never knew that this barbaric practice was
going on. I,m going to follow this one through.

mick
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #49
BHDOGS
Banned

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/b...-1226070328971

This might be of some interest to people
Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #50
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

3AW News just reported that Live Exports have been suspended. The power of the people at work. Glad I signed the Petition.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #51
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Good new's then, Glad I signed aswell.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #52
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn activists! It appears Labor's back bench revolt has forced The Muppet Show to act. Good stuff.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #53
bungarra

It was on the radio today that Four Corners are refusing to show other footage of abattoirs in Indonesia doing the kill correctly as it is contradictory to the views of the producers and Get Up Australia.
One producer (Yarri Station) up north WA has lost 80% of its cattle business due to exports being banned and no one in Australia needs the beef stock. I can see many compensation bills being paid for by the government (taxpayer levy).
Maybe Get Up Australia can get behind the Aussie cattle producers and donate some of their income to the producers, seeing as they have now created a restraint of trade action.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #54
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe MLA can explain to the farmers what they've been doing with the $5.00 per head of cattle paid to them has done over the last 10 years. It beggars belief MLA was not aware of what was occuring, or for that matter the government as well.

How about MLA support the farmers and compensate them for their lack of intervention in this matter for the last 10 years.

So it's Getup, Animals Australia and RSPCA that are responsible for the ban? You're kidding me, it wouldn't be an issue if livestock were treated in the proper manner.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #55
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

But will this ban solved the issue of the barbaric slaughter practices in Indonesia?
I think not.
We are just distancing ourselves from it and sweeping it under the carpet.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh and costing Australian's jobs and money..

What a joke!!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #57
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
I personaly have no problems with what indonesia does its just cattle that are breed to be slaughtered and eaten if it was dolphins tied to a mangrove then thats not good and hunt down the people responsible but lets put things into perspective
Breeding them and killing them isnt the issue. They arent there to be tortured. They are still a living, breathing animal that has a brain and knows whats going on and can feel pain and fear. Just kill them quick and get it over and done with.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #58
sudszy
Banned

Im glad about the ban, but now we have the whinging from everyone who is going to lose a buck out of it wanting compensation.

yeh, people whinged when they shut down the asbestos mines too, the usual suspects taking up the case Barnaby Joyce etc.

So the farmers didnt know(or was it didnt want to know) what was happening to their precious animals, out of sight outta mind, very convenient.....
Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #59
Pis-ton broke
Banned

It was never going to be easy, some pepole are going to get hurt. But who are we if we condon this parctice? hopefully this can be sorted out and the indonsians have now been international shamed.

an i reckon a lot of people knew about this, so why hasn,t something been done by now? and now these one brave woman to show this disgrace.
but for tens years know one has done a thing about it??
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #60
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Im glad about the ban, but now we have the whinging from everyone who is going to lose a buck out of it wanting compensation.

yeh, people whinged when they shut down the asbestos mines too, the usual suspects taking up the case Barnaby Joyce etc.

So the farmers didnt know(or was it didnt want to know) what was happening to their precious animals, out of sight outta mind, very convenient.....
And Australia,as a country, has just put it out of sight and out of mind, by the ban. VERY convenient.

This action will NOT improve their slaughtering process.
NZ, or other countries will just replace the Australian shipments.
The problem won't be solved by walking away from it.

But we can have that warm and fuzzy feeling that we have done our bit and it is not our cattle.
We now have no say/influence into trying to improve things there.
Closed Thread