Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #31
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: New HSV Backlash on TODAY SHOW

I dont think this actually has anything to do with Holden and gov credits does it?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #32
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I dont think this actually has anything to do with Holden and gov credits does it?
To the public it will, why should tax dollars go to developing a car like this so matey can hang patches at the end of the street. And I know that the chance of a new GTS doing that is low, the average punter sees every hotted up commodore as the same thing, driven by the same crowd.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #33
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Well done to HSV for having a crack with the release of this car soon. I look forward to driving one (no doubt some of my HSV-driving-bogan mates will buy one!). Hopefully it will spur Ford onto building something similar as a last harrah in the next year or 2.

As for what is being said in the media, they are a bunch of ballbags who will say anything to get a headline. That is the business they are in!! Any organisation that gives Harold Scruby any more than 1 second of airtime has little credibility with me.
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #34
1TUFFUTE
Banned

the only way id give this topic any more breath..is if there are facts to show all the hoons crashing and dieing in these powerfull cars. Don't quote me but im almost positive that the biggest offenders on the roads are older people...not perceived hoons and there powerfull cars. Seems like another idiot with some agenda probably linked in some way to a political theme from who knows....
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

The good old power wars.

I believe holden has always had the philosphy that more power is better.
Ford always engineers a well rounded product. I have Driven an SV6 and i can say, it is not a great car, and my uncles VE SS is like a shopping trolley when throwing it about.

Comparing it to a friends TS50, it is an unrefined car.

I am sure Ford can pump out the numbers, but why deliver an overpowered car when you can deliver a superb package that will have little to no issues due to them over taxing the driveline.

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #36
JoeDaleyN98

Based on this premise we should all be driving 1960's corollas, because pretty much anything these days is way to fast for the streets. Oh right speed limits. In that case, who cares! That bloke is the biggest whinger
JoeDaleyN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #37
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Yawn.

I watched the 20 seconds on this car on the today show, no surprises in it. The comment was actually

"In ten years time" these things will be cheap...

They commented about its 300kmh top speed..... Lol

Those two nerds on that segment said nothing really bad, they just said what 90% of the motoring public would / will say.

They asked the question, which is valid " are cars capable of these speeds and power necessary?"

If we're honest, the answere isn't popular around here, and the answere is of course no, they aren't necessary.

But neither is a 350hp v8 outboard, when a 250v6 will still plane the boat and tow the skier.

Neither is a Yamaha r1, when the 250cc bike will travel at 100kmh...

Necessary and good old fashioned desire are two completely different things, and unless I'm mistaken, consumer market, our economy is just as often fuelled by wanten desire as they are necessity. Want is good. Want makes the world go around, and the global economy prosper. Necessity does not.

Not even a Storm in tea cup that segment on today show, it didn't even rate a mention in my view.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 26-04-2013 at 04:21 PM.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #38
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351 View Post
He forgets about all the Japanese hypo cars too, lots of p plates on evo loaders and wrx subarus not to mention skylines maybe he should just hop in the back of his chauffeur driven hybrid
Either they're breaking the law, or have WRX badges on an RX, but P platers cannot drive WRX or Evo, or Turbo Skyline legally.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #39
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Not even a Storm in tea cup that segment on today show, it didn't even rate a mention in my view.
You're probably right - I was just surprised by the fact it was even mentioned on a breakfast program and with a negative spin as well.....was quite surprised as Holden normally get the lion's share of the good press on a new release regardless of what they do. These silly programs can and do drive public sentiment....even in 2 minute snippets.

I think there is a heightened sensitivity to these sorts of cars of late.....spurned no doubt by the hoon laws and the percieved association that FPV / HSV apparently feed the desires of hand me down Hoon drivers........lol

Yes its bollocks.......but as a proud owner and driver of an FPV.......feeling kinda sick and tired of being tarred with the same brush as some of these morons.

Looks like a race car / goes like a race car.......you must be racing !
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its hard to believe a 100000 dollar car would devalue enough for a young tacker to buy in 3 or 4 years, regardless there's stacks of fast 2nd hand cars for a fraction of the cost.
Also does he think that you couldn't get in just as much trouble in an 86 as any powerful car?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Its hard to believe a 100000 dollar car would devalue enough for a young tacker to buy in 3 or 4 years, regardless there's stacks of fast 2nd hand cars for a fraction of the cost.
Also does he think that you couldn't get in just as much trouble in an 86 as any powerful car?
Of course not,
The shock Jock's main strike weapon is to reveal the irresponsibility of manufacturers
building leathal weapons to unleash upon the community.

The best way to deal with this "crisis" is to change channels and deprive him of any
rebuttal or forum to continue this rather absurd and obtuse argument..

I would be more concerned about Charlie bogan bolting a blower onto his
300,000 km VX SS and wreaking havoc on the community.....

Unfortunately our custodian of moral outrage can't see the forest for the trees....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #42
Angeldust

... same as how many bogans u see tearing up the streets in the old stroker holden VS GtS's.. or all the 300KW VT II...thats right, none, they're all locked up by enthusiasts...

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

engine size/ power has never been an issue imo, my first car was an absolute worn out dung box with zero handling, zero safety aids, no power, yet as testosterone charged young buk i still drove it like a v8 super car and even though it only did about 90 mph ..... it was 10 times more dangerous than any modern performance car to anyone in the vicinity, and i would expect that to be the case with many youngsters with a similar mindset just getting their licence..
Nothing whatever to do with HP.
Old 26-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #44
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on them. A massive middle finger to all the wowsers out there. I think most of these will be bought for weekend warrior duties (read racing on a track for the wowsers).
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #45
lethal66

Good news i reckon,hsv should of put that motor in 2yrs ago when it got released in yankville.Il be placing my order for 1 along with 8 other miners that want 1 also.Bad news is im going to lose maybe 10k on my E3 Gts not even 7months old but who cares.

And radio jocks like that cowboy give fpv and hsv a bad name.

I bet carl on today show buys 1 also to replace his yellow e3 gts
lethal66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #46
LTDHO
The one and only

Tell me how a car with 350kws is more needed than one with say 250?

Sure, torque is useful for towing, etc but do we need 350kw's?

OK, there is the whole 'track day' excuse, but what % of cars with over 250 see the track?
Those that do, how often?

Just curious
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #47
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol there are plenty of things in life we don't need but if everyone had only what they needed it would be pretty boring wouldn't you say.

I think there is plenty of BS in the world that exists to benefit certain people but I don't **** on their parade.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post

OK, there is the whole 'track day' excuse, but what % of cars with over 250 see the track?

Just curious
It is needed for exactly the same reason that diamonds are needed in rings, smartphones are needed to communicate and fast food is needed for eating.

All that asking the question does is demonstrate an inability of understanding the answer..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #49
Danny
GT4.

A commercial pain in the *** on a commercial rubbish TV Show. Not worth even the taps on the keys it took to write this.

But is this the same Neil Mitchell who jerks off on air about his high powered Audi TTS?

Wtf?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #50
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Just curious
I understand and agree with you to a point.
For everyday commuting there is no need for that kind of power.
However why do it? Well why not?
If it can be done then I say go for it.
The same could be said about hypercars, just look at the Veyron, who needs 400+km/hr? A 1001+ HP? It doesn't matter, the challenge was set and they did it because they could.

I applaud the human desire to do better, that is why I have an interest in cars because with each iteration they get better, safer, faster and smarter.
I am a slave to technology (probably because it is my hobby and my job) and I always like to see how technology evolves and how we integrate it into our everyday lives.

So yes we don't need 350kw but we also don't need Ferraris, Porsches, V8s, etc. We have them because we can, because there are few out there that like to compete and think they can do a better job of building a car.

I say bring it on...
Old 26-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #51
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
All that asking the question does is demonstrate an inability of understanding the answer..........
What a stupid thing to say.

How can someone know whether they will understand an answer if they don't ask the question first.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #52
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6 View Post
a typical neil mitchell whinge, this fool will complain if his weetbix fall the wrong way into his bowl,
Except his precious Melbourne football club or the provincial game of AFL.
thats untouchable.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #53
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Most people only need public transport. These cars wouldn't exist if people didn't want them. And that's all that matters. Getting into a debate about what we "need" ends with man sitting in a cave eating grass clippings because that's all we really need isn't it.

If someone doesn't see the point of a high powered car, they will probably never understand. Yet some still feel the need to whinge. Why whinge about something they don't understand? Whinging for the sake of whinging.

I love what HSV and FPV are doing, people ask for it, they build it. And by people I mean normal people- posh folk have been buying super sedans for a long time, yet as soon as they become attainable to regular folk it's a problem. Ridiculous.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #54
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Was watching the TODAY show on Channel 9 over breakfast this morning - segment with Neil Mitchell commentary.
Interesting to see this make the morning show agenda.....albeit in a negative way.
Basically - backlash against the new performance HSV
  • Waaaaay Too fast
  • Pointless car for today's day and age
  • 3-4 years down the track - will be priced squarely at young bogan Hoon affordability
  • Do we really need / want these types of cars roaming our roads.
Sound familiar...echoes of the 70's super car scare campaign
Damn. I wonder who would want a fast car for this day and age that ends up being purchased second hand by other drivers that happen to be 'young bogan hoons' that use the roads like everybody else does but are labelled by the media?

You know.

I mean who would buy such things? Absolutely crazy that they exist in the first place, right?

Edit: Also, people like this are, and should be regarded as the same bunch of people that said things such as:
  • I think there is a world market for maybe five computers
  • With over 50 foreign cars already on sale, the Japanese auto industry isn't likely to carve out a big slice of the US market
  • It will be years -- not in my time -- before a woman will become prime minister
  • "But what...is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

Last edited by Lardman; 27-04-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #55
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

If there is demand then there should certainly be supply.
If that's what people want to spend THEIR money on then it's no one elses concern.

I am quite interested to see the actual numbers this thing puts down.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #56
excopau

I think they will have trouble seelling them at 100000, there isnt any money around at the moment with the way the economy is.
excopau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #57
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by excopau View Post
I think they will have trouble seelling them at 100000, there isnt any money around at the moment with the way the economy is.
Famous line from 1989 movie Field of dreams:

"If you build it - they will come"
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by excopau View Post
Theres enough cashed up people here with GT's , I doubt they will have too much trouble selling them.
Old 27-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #59
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Theres enough cashed up people here with GT's , I doubt they will have too much trouble selling them.
That's it, and its been a long time between drinks for the much larger hsv fan base.
It will sell, and it will sell in numbers fpv could only dream about.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #60
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black F6 View Post
will be interesting to see once we see some rwkw figures from these cars, they probably wont be much different to the blown GT's just the badge says 100kw more
You got it, currently 325 HSV killowatts don't even seem to match the so called 310 FPV killowatts of the F6 let alone the 335 GT range when there put on a dyno, so I wonder what 430 HSV killowatts are really going to equal at the wheels?

A current E3 325Kw Clubsport R8 that had 3 dyno power runs after my stock F6 a couple of weeks ago was either a donkey or had other "issues" as my F6 had 9 more RwKws with the only mods to mine being the 5L Coyote intake and Euro4 exhaust restrictor ring removed (still on factory tune), where as the GTS had extractors, full exhaust and tune done to it.
Needless to say the guy was mighty ****ed off..... I just

Last edited by zoomie; 27-04-2013 at 11:12 AM.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: