Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #31
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be interseting to see what the tax office thinks of this. If a player had only declared their income as say $200,000 from the storm, but investigation found they were actually being paid $400,000 then click click,have a nice stay in the lock up boys!!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #32
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdubbleya
Honestly, how does Gallup ever sleep at night?
He didn't commit fraud to help his team win . This was systemic deception that was well hidden and has brought the game into disrepute, is this not grounds for expulsion from the NRL??? This could get rid of the bye as well as teaching other teams that blatant fraud will not be tolerated

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #33
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The only good to come of this is that the new Melbourne Rebels Super 15 team will gain some traction. As a Rugby Fan, I'm not unhappy.
The melbourne rebels may get abit of disruption out of this as their ceo Brian Waldren is the former storm ceo who is being named as the allegded architect of this fraud.
Old 22-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #34
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The only good to come of this is that the new Melbourne Rebels Super 15 team will gain some traction. As a Rugby Fan, I'm not unhappy.
Hmm ?? Trouble is there new CEO was very much a part of Storms troubles...

Yes R/R fan too...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #35
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyg
Yeh i reckon any team playing the storm now will be like a training run you would think?

If the Storm beat the other team, there wouldn't be any points given to either?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #36
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never liked NRL, I don't consider it football, more like, throwball or run ball. But why don't the players have to pay back the money ? They must have known that they were being overpaid ???? or as I suspect rugby players are missing the french fries from the happy meal ???
Old 22-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #37
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What Aussies cheat? Thought they only like to throw accusations at fans of other countries lol.
Ah well bad luck storm fans.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #38
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas
Sorry but to any one who thinks Melbourne will be kicked out is delusional, after building the new stadium theirs no chance that they'd be kicked out.. And who cares about salary cap ********, so what they may have had 1 or 2 less people to make the cap, they still would have smashed all the NSW/QLD teams anyway

with all there qld and nsw players playing for them
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #39
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Hmm ?? Trouble is there new CEO was very much a part of Storms troubles...

Yes R/R fan too...
Yes, I overlooked this fact, but truth be told, CEOs aren't all that hard to find, and they have a very good Ex-CEO from Perth ready and waiting to take the Rebels over.

The ARU and SANZAR have their heads screwed on, and The Rebels' books will be scrutinised. The Rebels still have very few big name players, and the SANZAR's salary rules are slightly different to the ARL's.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #40
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
If the Storm beat the other team, there wouldn't be any points given to either?

True, i didnt think of that, just dont think the storm will come out firing like they usually do, the players may not get a bonus now above there weekly wage if you put a bit more effort in to win the game, mate im not really into football that much but your not playing on a level field when this has happened.
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #41
THE4RD
Landau - personal luxury

Never bet on anything that can talk.

I agree with Steve Mortimer that this is a massive over reaction by the NRL.

What does stripping the premiership actually mean? That the whole NRL competition was irrelevant in 2007 and 2009?

This will probably kill the Storm and seriously wound Rugby League.

What is there for the Storm players to play for anymore?

Professional sports. What a joke.

Last edited by THE4RD; 22-04-2010 at 09:09 PM.
THE4RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #42
partzkid

As a loyal storm supporter i was waiting for something like this to happen, i'd always suspected something fishy with the salary cap. but stripping this seasons future points will give no benefit to either storm or any team playing storm. If Rugby league is ever going to fold in melb, this is the start of it. whilst i am dissapointed that a good run over the last 4 years has been lost i will still be out there at every game i can get to this year supporting them.

partzkid
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #43
Bobman
Regulator

I'm a little perplexed by this whole thing.

If you gave a Maccas kid a $1000 bonus to make your cheeseburger would it really be any better? How exactly does extra money (illegal or otherwise) suddenly make players better anyway? Perhaps I'm missing the point, but it's only bloody money!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #44
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE4RD
Never bet on anything that can talk.

This will probably kill the Storm and seriously wound Rugby League.

What is there for the Storm players to play for anymore?

Does that mean i cannot put a couple of dollars on the MELBOURNE cup, hope mr ed is running this year.
Old 22-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #45
partzkid

it will keep that kid form wandering off to another job that pays more. and if that kid is awesome at what he does, you'd want him to stay wouldn't you
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #46
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

The new look Table....

http://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiershi...1/Default.aspx

....thats gotta hurt....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #47
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

They did the crime, so the must do the time, well pay a fine lol, Its so sad when something like this happens in pro sport, i mean did they really think they could get away with it forever?
Old 22-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #48
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hazardous, Risky, Chancey..... = Dodgy..... Dodgy as a bucket full of thumb's and they got caught out... lol..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #49
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman

If you gave a Maccas kid a $1000 bonus to make your cheeseburger would it really be any better? How exactly does extra money (illegal or otherwise) suddenly make players better anyway? Perhaps I'm missing the point, but it's only bloody money!

Hi Bobman, this meant they could afford to buy the better players in the game.
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #50
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXY
This news could not make me happier . By far my most hated team in the NRL. Not the way i'd like to see them go down, rather it happen on the field, but its a pretty massive fail by who ever is in charge of this matter at the club and the punishment fits IMO.

Can i ask why they are the most hated team in the nrl? Is it because of their sucess or the old 'melbourne/sydney' rivalry?

Just curious, im a fan sure but not 100% into nrl as i am afl, cheers mate
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #51
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty will be said on this, but as a heart and soul, season ticket holding Dragons Red V member I just want to offer those similar heart and soul, genuine Melbourne supporters who have been well and truly hung out to dry by their clubs administrators my heartfelt commiserations.

You must be feeling like you have been run over a bus right now. It's hard to take being well and truly beaten on grand final day by the better team, worse still if your team gets complacent and loses the unloseable, but it's another entirely to be stripped of of a premiership by being defrauded by your own club.

Footy is about the fans, and Melbourne fans have been well and truly heartbroken by their own club.

This is not what footy is about, and it would be devastating for you. No matter what our history and friendly animosity between fans, this is not fair on you, and your rival club supporters stand with you in your despair and outrage.

I know AFF is pretty Melbourne centric, so this will probably be an issue that really hits close to home here.

Last edited by Pinch; 22-04-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Just spelling
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #52
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The league had to take this step, because the club has breached the rules so blatantly.

However, I feel shattered for the players and the die-hard supporters who go to all their home matches AT LEAST (many go to all the away games too!), pay up a membership and attend all the events.

The players work their butts off over four years to win three minor-premierships, make four consecutive Grand FInals and win two of them...and through no fault of their own, it's seemingly meaningless.

A friend of mine said to me, 'just imagine if it was Geelong.'
If it was, I probably would have cried, because the 2007 flag was one of the greatest moments of my life (after the crap I had to put up with in 92, 94 and 1995), and 2009 was good too....to lose it all through mismanagement would hurt like hell.

I like to see the Storm do well, though I do not follow league. This has saddened even me.

I know a lot of NSW purists are happy about it and laughing, but it isn't Melbourne's fault that in a city that is completely undeveloped in junior rugby compared to other states that they have to get their players from interstate.

Hell, the Sydney Swans started out with hardly a local product, likewise with the Carrara Koalas.

It would be a long-term project to get league going highly at junior level to the filter through to the NRL. It would not be profound, but we may have seen it happen eventually.

This sort of thing puts a real dampener on the short-term viability of the club. To see Storm play for nothing is going to put a lot of people off, and TV coverage would have to be minimal almost. Who wants to watch a game that is conditional?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #53
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by partzkid
As a loyal storm supporter i was waiting for something like this to happen, i'd always suspected something fishy with the salary cap. but stripping this seasons future points will give no benefit to either storm or any team playing storm. If Rugby league is ever going to fold in melb, this is the start of it. whilst i am dissapointed that a good run over the last 4 years has been lost i will still be out there at every game i can get to this year supporting them.

partzkid
Spoken like a TRUE supporter. Good luck in the future with a new club administration, if the Storm survives this. Its not the fans fault.

PS. Any idea what this means for tipping comps? How will it work? Will it still be on scoreline regardless of how the win is recorded by the NRL?
Old 22-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #54
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:

The extra money was to keep the very good players from joining other clubs.

I cheered when I heard Gallop's verdict on the radio on the way home from work, cos that is exactly what they deserve. I had no sympathy for them whatsoever.

As it sunk in though I remembered their fans and how gutted they would be. I feel sorry for them as they have been seriously cheated by their favourite club. The Storm cheated, and it's their own fans who've been cheated the most, imo.

As far as I'm concerned they should not take part for the rest of the season; otherwise they'll be booed by their own (if anyone turns up) when they play at home, or by everybody else when they're away from home. They already were the "new Manly"

This sucks, why could they not have heeded from the price the Dogs' paid?

The only good news is the Sharkies can wait another year before they get the spoon...
/Come back Birdie!

Last edited by Falc'man; 22-04-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #55
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The players work their butts off over four years to win three minor-premierships, make four consecutive Grand FInals and win two of them...and through no fault of their own, it's seemingly meaningless.
I strongly disagree. Some of - not sure how many - of the players new exactly what was going on. Those players in question would be as guilty as the Storm bosses.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #56
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hypothetical:

Let's scrap the salary cap in the AFL.

A club goes out and gets Judd and Ablett as the onballers, Sandilands and Cox as the interchanging senior ruckman (with Natanui playing as a backup ruckman and forward line player), Riewoldt as a running half-forward who pushes up the ground, Jonathan Brown at CHF, perhaps Fevola at FF, Brent LeCras in the forward pocket with Paul Chapman...yeah...and you people can fill in the rest of the gaps...

Why should one team be able to buy all the best players?

Salary cap is the single best thing to happen in the AFL.

Back when zoning was around and the salary cap wasn't, only four teams won the VFL premiership between 1967 and 1983, and five teams between 67 and 1989.

With the introduction of the salary cap, since 1990 every team in the league except for Fremantle, Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and the Bulldogs has won a flag.

In only slightly more time, 11 different clubs have won a premiership.

Now, compare that to the EPL.
Since First Division became the EPL, only Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Blackburn have won the Premiership.
In fact, Man U were hardly impressive before the EPL, with Liverpool being dominant.

With the massive influx of money, we have the same bloody teams winning every single year. Yawn. How boring.
How would you want to be a smaller club, knowing that you have absolutely 0% chance of surviving in the Premier League.

In both the NRL and AFL, every team is given the same opportunities (relatively), which keeps it fresh for its fans.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 22-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #57
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I strongly disagree. Some of - not sure how many - of the players new exactly what was going on. Those players in question would as guilty as the Storm bosses.
Ok...the players who have had to work hardest with the least natural ability...to achieve what they have and then to realise it's been taken away by the dishonesty in keeping the 'marketable stars' would hurt like hell...

And the ones who had no involvement in this establishment...there we go

Don't snap my undies.
Old 22-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #58
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The irony is that News Limited will sell a hell of a lot of papers tomorrow though...
Old 22-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #59
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I strongly disagree. Some of - not sure how many - of the players new exactly what was going on. Those players in question would be as guilty as the Storm bosses.
and you would hope those players show a little more loyalty than anasta once the new contract is ready to be signed. the players that knowingly cheated should be the ones that stay no matter how big a pay cut they need to take
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #60
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Plenty will be said on this, but as a heart and soul, season ticket holding Dragons Red V member I just want to offer those similar heart and soul, genuine Melbourne supporters my heartfelt commiserations who have been well and truly hung out to dry by their clubs administrators.

You must be feeling like they have been run over a bus right now. Its hard to take being well and truly beaten on grand final day by a better team, worse still if your team gets complacent and loses the unlosable, but its another entirely to be stripped of of a premiership by being defrauded by your own club.

Footy is about the fans, and Melbourne fans have been well and truly heartbroken by their own club.

This is not what footy is about, and it would be devestating for you. No matter what our history and friendly animosity between fans, this is not fair on you, and your rival club supporters stand with you in your despair and outrage.

I know AFF is pretty Melbourne centric, so this will probably be an issue that really hits close to home here.

Couldnt agree more, ive thrown a lot on this thread this afternoon about different things but i hope the supporters, fans of the club keep the chin up.