Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #31
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i work 5 days a week doing Nightshift , it screw with you sleep really bad, just glad on Sunday i get a 12 hrs sleep on my days off.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #32
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
done nightshift before
never again. Not even for $100k.
It's cool for the first month. Seeing another side of the world. After that you start realising all the things that catch up on you
1. Your sleep patterns are shot.
2. Trying to go to bed when the sun is up is awful
3. Yep, you can light and temperature control a room, but you can't really sound control it. All it takes is one mowing/chainsawing neighbour at midday (your midnight) to destroy any poor sleep you were going to have
4. With the bad sleeps and the unnatural awake at nighttime, your mental health suffers terribly. You start making mistakes and thinking a few funny things. It's harder to keep yourself together.
5. Your social life goes down the toilet. Only adding to the degradation of your mental health.
Feeling that, I'm on my week off, last night i couldn't get to sleep till 3am and i woke up at 11am, set my alarm for 8am cause i had stuff i wanted to do, slept thou it.

add to that, i work 12hr night shifts for 26 days straght, is it worth it, sometimes yes sometimes no, but i think of it like this, i don't have to do it forever and it means i can do what i want when i want, if i wanted to i could do 4 months of night shift and i could afford to take the next 8 months off!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #33
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find that after working 5 shifts on and having 3 shifts off, on my shifts off, no matter what i do i cant do anything but sleep... and yea social life does suffer a bit, but luckily i get to sit on a laptop all shift so i can send off alot of e-mails and thread posts :P

I work in Mental Health so i know the warning signs , that's why im taking 14 days off from the 21st of this month, taking my girl down to the F1 in Melb for 5 days, then hopefully shooting off to queensland to pick up a nice, shiny GT that i can polish all night at work

Edit: Oh, and, 4:22, Good morning
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #34
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&BXR6
I live 30km from work, along one of the main traffic routes in Canberra, so even leaving work at 7:30 i cop all the Tradies going to work.... but going to work is always quiet
I'm guessing the Monaro Hwy. Are you heading from home on the Northside to work on the South, or the other way around?

I love the night shift (I'm in security). It's the easiest way I can study full time and get a 30-ish hour workweek. Shoehorning a social life in there is another story. Have to say, as much as I like what I'm doing, it's probably best I've only got 4 more years or so of this planned.
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.

Last edited by Deech; 10-03-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #35
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I worked nightshift for the old SUN (now Herald Sun) newspaper deep down in the bowels of Flinders St just after I'd finished my apprenticeship back in late 70's for 6 odd months.
Official position was "Rotary Press Operator" which paid about 2 and a half times what a tradesmans wage was back then.
We started "officially" at 10pm, but it was virtually compulsary that you fronted at the Phoenix Hotel at around 8pm for a quick 6 pots.
"Lunch" was as soon as the country edition was clear (about 1am) when you'd have another 2 or 3 "compulsary" Tubes (Tubes being the now defunct tall cans that held lots!)
Knockoff time was after the last paper rolled off the press, then it was straight down to either the Stork or The Waterside early openers for a few more well earned pots!
These guys had been going through this same ritual for years and years.. I remember the leading hand had been there for 28yrs, and I'm sure had never been sober!
Anyhow.. The money was magic. The guys were real old school diehards, and I learnt so much (not much about printing newspapers though: )
But I threw the towel in... I'm sure my liver would have been totally pickled otherwise!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #36
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deech
I'm guessing the Monaro Hwy. Are you heading from home on the Northside to work on the South, or the other way around?

I love the night shift (I'm in security). It's the easiest way I can study full time and get a 30-ish hour workweek. Shoehorning a social life in there is another story. Have to say, as much as I like what I'm doing, it's probably best I've only got 4 more years or so of this planned.

Actually the new Gungahlan drive extension > Tuggerenong Parkway , driving from south side into belconnen (not much further north to go in canberra) it's a straight drive for me, from my house to work i think i turn 4 corners lol
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #37
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was on night shift for four years when I was 18 till I was 22. Never thought it affected me much but my partner swears I became a lot less agitated once on day shift.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #38
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Actually the new Gungahlan drive extension > Tuggerenong Parkway , driving from south side into belconnen (not much further north to go in canberra) it's a straight drive for me, from my house to work i think i turn 4 corners lol
And yet with the standard of Canberra roads (and Canberra drivers), that'd still be the limit of my patience!

Which brings me to another point: How does everyone go driving home after work? I'm lucky to only live 10 mins from mine, but I'm knackered some mornings.
I don't disagree with the points Mr Hardware raised, but time on the road knackered's probably my least favourite job aspect.
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deech
And yet with the standard of Canberra roads (and Canberra drivers), that'd still be the limit of my patience!

Which brings me to another point: How does everyone go driving home after work? I'm lucky to only live 10 mins from mine, but I'm knackered some mornings.
I don't disagree with the points Mr Hardware raised, but time on the road knackered's probably my least favourite job aspect.
I work at Jetstar here in Newcastle and do nights every now and then. Tonight im working 1430 - 0230, a 12hr arfternoon shift isnt the most fun. Driving home is a real struggle, as i live an hour from work. I find that a bit of decent music and fresh air is the best solution for me.

I also struggle due to irregular hours. My week this week was/is:
1330 - 1800 sunday, 0800 - 2000 monday, 1430 - 0230 tuesday, 1700 - 0230 wednesday and 1530 - 0400 thursday. It makes it hard when i cant get into any real kind of sleeping pattern.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #40
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

yep 2 days then 2 nights 12 hour shifts, spend all of it browsing the net, lol

but no i have no work :(

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Old 10-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #41
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED-AU
yep 2 days then 2 nights 12 hour shifts, spend all of it browsing the net, lol

but no i have no work :(
Yes 2 days 2night 4 off. Best shift I ever had.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #42
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Years and years ago, I worked on the psych ward at the then Woden Valley Hospital. It was a scary place with the office in a full glassed circle in the middle of the ward with the patient’s rooms on the outside. I used to say, I have the keys, and if anyone one that goes through the glass to get us, I'm first out and down the escape tunnels that runs under the building, and they could find me in the morgue at the other end of the tunnel system.

I hated working nights/around the clock.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #43
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
Years and years ago, I worked on the psych ward at the then Woden Valley Hospital. It was a scary place with the office in a full glassed circle in the middle of the ward with the patient’s rooms on the outside. I used to say, I have the keys, and if anyone one that goes through the glass to get us, I'm first out and down the escape tunnels that runs under the building, and they could find me in the morgue at the other end of the tunnel system.

I hated working nights/around the clock.
Funny, theres no Psych ward at Woden Valley Hospital anymore, they moved it all to PSU just outside of the hospital, i work at Calvary's long stay mental health rehab

As for driving home, depends on the night, but most times i do ok, 30km usualy does not take long, but when your fighting fatigue and idiot drivers at 7:30 in the morning, you lose your patience really easy... :P

10:15pm... been at work for 1 hour 15 mins ...*sighs*
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #44
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Driving home was never a problem for me, I live 30 km's outside Canberra on the Federal Highway. So driving home was a hit or miss as it was before dual carrage way and one lane each way, scary.

I am glad they got rid of the ward it was a nightmare to work in. I never practiced at Calvary and glad I left the hospital system years ago.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #45
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yay , 6 hours to go... anyone else still working? :P
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #46
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Sleep is overrated (apparently) sleep:
Agreed!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #47
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
Agreed!
lmao, i get home from work at about 8, and usualy try and find somthing to do for a couple of hours.

the way my shifts work, 8am is practicaly 8pm.... so i try to sleep from 10:30am till about 5:00pm, never works though :P

Ragtop, check out my thread about GT vs FG XR8 man
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #48
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol i never bother trying to set a sleep rutine, i normaly pass out when i get home or i check the forums for a hour, end up asleep around 7 or so, normaly back up around the 1 oclock mark. seems to be enough sleep for me, unluckly this weekend there is some festival on so i go from work on saturday night finish at 5 to flinders uni start at 7... finish way later that night, still wont be as ruff as the AFD 48 + straight i pulled. my boss thinks i might be on drugs lol :p
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 AM   #49
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rofl, i just found out they introduced a new "4 week only" night shift roster for the HSO4's, wich will be introduced AFTER i finish..... bastards, i just did my 2 month stint, now im covering someone elses 2 months.... THEN they start 4 week stints >.> pricks lol

i hate the govt.

wait, they pay me
I love the govt.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #50
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ragtop, check out my thread about GT vs FG XR8 man
Done - hope it all goes well : : : : : : : :
Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #51
5L
[ 5L ]

drive to work and drive home is great, no cars that i really have to contend with.

some saturday morning i go through a booze bus leaving the city, but apart from the the 25km drive to work is great.

normally wait up till 7-7:30 and sleep as much as i can, no alarm clocks i get up when i get up. some days though i find it really hard to sleep then i just go to work tired and sleep for a decent period when i get home.

we work a 6 day roster, out of those you get a rotating rostered day off, so every 5 weeks i get friday saturday sunday off which is good. my next is next weekend which is great as im going to the clipsal 500.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #52
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Been working rotational shifts for Optus for about 8 years now.
They recently changed our shifts from 12 to 10 hours ... although we now work extra shifts in our cycle.

It's harder now as the longest period off between shifts is 2 days ... usually about only 1 day between shifts really.

I have an hour and 15 minutes solid drive oen way ... to and from work. Half of it is Motorway/rural highway ... and that's the worst part of it.

The have been many morning where I have pulled off the road at either a servo or truckstop and slept for an hour in the ute ... and then continued on my way again.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #53
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The have been many morning where I have pulled off the road at either a servo or truckstop and slept for an hour in the ute ... and then continued on my way again.
In the tray, or can you just recline the seats far enough? Edit: Or do you just sleep upright?

I thought of going the ute/pano+mattress option, but I figured that's when it goes from being a job to a lifestyle choice.

Last edited by Deech; 11-03-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #54
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am that tired I can literally sleep upright. Probably standing if tired enough ... LOL
I can recline the seats a bit ... bit it is still fairly upright.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #55
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

i also sleep in the car on my 2 and half hour drive home after my last shift,

gotta love having a wagon

Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #56
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Yes 2 days 2night 4 off. Best shift I ever had.

and the 24 hours in between :

Old 11-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #57
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED-AU
i also sleep in the car on my 2 and half hour drive home after my last shift,

gotta love having a wagon

Lmao im glad you clarified there... i pictured you setting cruise control and taking a snooze while driving lol
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #58
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good morning all you slackers who slept all night :P How's the day looking for everyone? me, well, we're payed to stay awake all night, yet theres a nurse sitting behind me snoring her head off.... if only i had a firework...maybe i should let one of the consumers into the office to wake her up
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #59
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I start nightshift tonight ... and finish Saturday morning ... then I have to go straight to hospital for a a pre-natal class for the entire day on Saturday ... joy.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #60
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
then I have to go straight to hospital for a a pre-natal class for the entire day on Saturday ... joy.
That's the argument I use. I've done plenty of nights without sleep, but probably no worse than anyone that ever had kids. Health wise, shouldn't wind up much worse than most other people in the end.

I start a week of night shifts next week, after a week of afternoons. (Rotating roster)
Closed Thread