Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #31
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
She came into the relationship knowing being with me is being with cars and thats how it has always been.
and always will?????
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #32
robbyg
72xa

hey mate, you are normal like the rest of us, once the speeches are over you will have a good night, mate i had a few beers before that to loosen the tounge a bit, it helped with me anyway, congrats to you and enjoy the day
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #33
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no need to get worried or have nerves about getting married you wont have anything to worry about once the wedding is over she will controll all

nah just kidding mate

I have been married for 10 years now and 3 kids and other than my stuffed back things couldnt be better

Just don't let one of your mates drive you to the round of golf before you get married

My mate ran up the clacker of a parked car and we all ended up in hospital for an hour on my wedding day but we all got released and got a cab to my place and got ready then took the limo to the wedding was a great day other than that though

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I'm getting hitched at the end of Sep this year... still hasn't kicked in as yet.

Agree.. it's being the centre of attention that's the issue, that doesn't really worry me as I'm good in front of a crowd.

We weren't going to tie the knot till April next year, but due to reasons out of my control we pushed it sooner, much sooner.

Keeping busy helps! We arranged and booked the whole lot in a week after I proposed on my birthday (11th May). 200ish guests...

All we need to do is decide the honeymoon.. thinking somewhere outside the square??

I'm looking fwd to it as well, not nervous at all ;)

Good luck with it SVTVNM
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #35
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got married a few years ago - two bits of advice I received and it helped me
1) Its not your day so much as the brides day - she is the centre of attention (which is fine by me as I hate being centre of attention) - you are there to support her
2) Its your wedding so make it yours we didnt do a bridal waltz thingy because neither my wife or I wanted - therefore do what makes you both feel comfortable, not what someone else tells you to do.

We did our speaches really early (I winged mine as I tried making notes, then lost them - but apparently I did ok) That way you get to enjoy the reception with family and friends without worring about anything. Best part of the wedding (IMO) is that it leads to a honeymoon ;) The wedding day goes incredibly quick (it only seems to last for 2 hours - at least thats my experience) and yes you face does get sore from the constant smiling for photographs.

@ Yellow Festive what sort of honeymoon are you after? Mine was very much inside the square (tropical island been waited on hand and foot - brillant experience) But I presume you would be after warmer weather come September?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #36
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly different scenario, I've been married for almost twenty years and my Daughter is getting married Sept next year. So yes, I'll be walking her down the Isle, which really doesn't worry me but thinking about the speeches - now that's got me a bit nervous! Ah well I've got 12 months to think of something to say.

Being nervous is human, I'm sure you will have a great time and at the end of the day, you'll look back and say "that wasn't too bad after all" Good Luck.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #37
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

best advice is have your groomsmen stay the night and either have a few beers (not too many), watch a movie or play some video games to get your mind off it. In the morning i had 3 red bulls and i was fine :o) only got nervous when it came to my speech but after that smooth sailing! Enjoy!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #38
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
I think you might have hit the nail right on the head Mrhardware probably more nervous about the fact I will be the centre of attention, not real good at that I like to keep lowkey as a rule.
Says the guy who list his drives as
1. AUI XR8 - 250kw Herrod enhanced, 18's, lowered
2. 1999 Mustang Cobra, Mick Webb tweaked, 18's, or
3. 1971 XYGT (replica).

Seriously though, I've now been married 20 years - best thing I ever did (apart from buying the RS2000 that is ). We set a short engagement so there wasn't enough time to worry about the usual pre wedding stuff, then I spent the morning of the wedding killing nerves with Mr Johnny Walker while fitting a stereo in the best mans car, don't rightly remember much of the actual wedding for some reason though.....

Congratulations my brother and remember one thing; the wedding day is just the beginning of the journey, it's but the first mile marker down the road to a full life by the side of a beautiful partner who has also chosen you for the journey - have fun on the day and enjoy a long and joyful life together

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #39
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'm glad we alopted(spelling) went to Port Douglas got married at 10am short and sweet, did the pic's all relaxed and spent the whole day together doing what we wanted, had a nice lunch.
Then the rest of the week we had our honeymoon and spent a wonderfull week in beautifull Port Douglas.
All of the best part was it was over before it started, it was what we both wanted (not what the family wanted) and we spent our time together, not doing what other's wanted on our day, and didn't cost a fortune, for other's to just get drunk.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #40
max
LWBforME

Congratulations my brother and remember one thing; the wedding day is just the beginning of the journey, it's but the first mile marker down the road to a full life by the side of a beautiful partner who has also chosen you for the journey - have fun on the day and enjoy a long and joyful life together

Cheers

James[/QUOTE]

Nice sentiment there. I think that sums up the whole deal very well.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #41
KYSBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I'm getting hitched at the end of Sep this year... still hasn't kicked in as yet.

All we need to do is decide the honeymoon.. thinking somewhere outside the square??

I'm looking fwd to it as well, not nervous at all ;)

Good luck with it SVTVNM
Yeah, I know the feeling. We're tying up to the hitchin' post in Oct.
Looking forward to the whole deal, not as much as the cook tho'!! Nice simple little do with 80 odd there, not too big on the fancy/traditional shebang.

Now the honeymoon is also a bit of a sticking point, just not sure what to do!!
NZ, WA, Tas, NQ island..........

Good luck to you all!!
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Been married 18 years, so remembering back that far is hard, but I do remember that I was so relaxed on the day, I forgot to shave! Lucky I realised as we were about to head to the church, so still had time to get a quick shave in.

I wrote my speech the night before with the help of my groomsmen (over a few bourbons) - turned out alright, but I hated getting up in front of everyone (still do) - just pick one person (a grand parent, or good friend) in the crowd and look at them while you do your speech, and occasionally scan the room so it appears you are talking to everyone, but in your mind, you'll be talking to someone you're comfortable with, just in front of a microphone.

The day itself is a whirlwind of activity - concentrate on your bride, and the other 40/60/100 people around won't even seem to be there.

Most of all, it is the first day of the rest of your married life - enjoy it, and celebrate the end of your single life at the same time!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #43
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
We weren't going to tie the knot till April next year, but due to reasons out of my control we pushed it sooner, much sooner.
Shotgun???
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #44
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_by_ford
Shotgun???
Nah mate... although you are certainly not the first to suggest it either ;)

Certain religious periods requiring fasting occurred during the original wedding date, my brother is getting married Jan, so it was either mid next yr (too far away and too cold), or sooner this year.
Old 15-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #45
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Just to eloborate a little on an incident, that taught me to me to improvise and somehow taught me a few lessons that are beyond your control and how to work around it.
My wife was boarding a plane (2 weeks before the wedding), the morning of a house fire, she was coming from the USA, house burnt down the weekend she was due to arrive (2 days before) , a friends car burnt the morning of the wedding and "mysteriously" the reception place was set alight, but managed to keep under control for the wedding. Yes, it was purposeful, all 3 fires.
My father burst into the place where I was sleeping (the weddding morning), I was at the time working on my speech, and said there was another "fire", the proceeeded to burst into tears. Somehow on the best day of my life turned into the crappiest of starts.
I had to comfort my father, then it took me 30 minutes to compose myself.
I had to organise/redirect the photographer and wedding car, to a different place, due to this unforseen incident.

These things are to test us and in my situation you could say "someone" didn't want us to marry, but it was all to do with a particular person that wasn't invited to the wedding and she got a little angry. Sheesh.

Anyways, I said a "most stupid" thing at the altar (even though we had an outside wedding), I said to my "best man" and understudy "I have cold feet".
The shock horror that went through these 2 guy's minds when I said that was enormous, but I later explained that the the thinnly soled shoes and the concrete I was standing on, contributed to my really cold feet.

After 13 years of marriage, we laugh at what happened that day and the days beforehand.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #46
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Just to eloborate a little on an incident, that taught me to me to improvise and somehow taught me a few lessons that are beyond your control and how to work around it.
My wife was boarding a plane (2 weeks before the wedding), the morning of a house fire, she was coming from the USA, house burnt down the weekend she was due to arrive (2 days before) , a friends car burnt the morning of the wedding and "mysteriously" the reception place was set alight, but managed to keep under control for the wedding. Yes, it was purposeful, all 3 fires.
My father burst into the place where I was sleeping (the weddding morning), I was at the time working on my speech, and said there was another "fire", the proceeeded to burst into tears. Somehow on the best day of my life turned into the crappiest of starts.
I had to organise/redirect the photographer and wedding car, to a different place, due to this unforseen incident.
But the wedding went ahead, regardless of this person.

These things are to test us and in my situation you could say "someone" didn't want us to marry, but it was all to do with a particular person that wasn't invited to the wedding and she got a little angry. Sheesh.

Anyways, I said a "most stupid" thing at the altar (even though we had an outside wedding), I said to my "best man" and understudy "I have cold feet".
The shock horror that went through these 2 guy's minds when I said that was enormous, but I later explained that the the thinnly soled shoes and the concrete I was standing on, contributed to my really cold feet.
How stupid of me to say that!

After 13 years of marriage, we laugh at what happened that day and the days beforehand.

But, if you are meant to be, all will happen (the wedding) no matter what happpens around you.

If something goes wrong, laugh and most of all "improvise". It's your best asset.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #47
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
But the wedding went ahead, regardless of this person.

How stupid of me to say that!

But, if you are meant to be, all will happen (the wedding) no matter what happpens around you.

If something goes wrong, laugh and most of all "improvise". It's your best asset.
Wow, so is that 4 fires? You have an ex-wife that got wind of the new marriage? And LOL @ the cold feet remark!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #48
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do what I did , got married at 6 P.M. , that morning threw the leathers on and went for a blast on the bike for most of the day . Real good for clearing the head . Believe it or not she got ****ed , started mentioning stuff like what if you fell off . Welcome to the world of never being able to please a woman .

Cheers Kenny
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #49
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Congrats to all the blokes about to embark on the most enjoyable, challenging and crazy new chapter of your lives!

As guys like Mr Hardware and others have mentioned it's well and trully normal to feel nervous before the "big day", but my advice is simple... It's only ONE day!!

24 hours, just like all the rest
5-9 hours are used already for sleeping

if you can keep the "big day" in perspective to your entire life it really helps!

Story time:
I've been married a short but bloody awesome 4 years! Met her, hated her! Got to know her, respect and friendship built. Fell for her, dated for 6 months. Proposed and was engaged for 5 months. Married!

We had 450 guests at our wedding ceremony in an enormous old church building. By the way I refused to allow the wedding to be about the bride, it was about us, and there were no decisions made without both of us agreeing on! Anyway, I'm shy by nature, but to be honest there could have been 1,000,000 people there for all I cared, I literaly only saw my bride, 5 groomsmen, minister (he had a awesome sence of humour plus a fantastic Irish accent, so he brought the tension WAY down) and photographer! Oh wait there were 6 bridesmaids too.

I'm good at having tunnel vision, so that's where I lived all day!

Then had 200 at sit down reception, made my speach up on the spot... And I forgot to tell my groomsmen til 5 mins before that they had to speak too (shouldhave seen their faces)! But in hindsight, it turned out well, as they had no preplanned ammo to shoot me down with. Speaches went well, as it was all impromptue (spelling?). We had fun with it. It was easier for me though as I regularly talking to rooms of people (up to 250) for up to 6 hours a day in high schools. So admittedly I have an advantage... But that's not my natural comfort zone at all!!

Anyway, stories gone on too long.

Good luck fellas! You'll love it, and one last thing... In 200 years who's going to remember the wedding day anyway?!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 04:17 AM   #50
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
best advice is have your groomsmen stay the night and either have a few beers (not too many), watch a movie or play some video games to get your mind off it. In the morning i had 3 red bulls and i was fine :o) only got nervous when it came to my speech but after that smooth sailing! Enjoy!

This works a treat.
Pretty much the same ... no red bulls for me though.

My wedding was in the afternoon ... and the morning was spent detailing the cars ... nice and relaxing really ... took our minds off the day.

I hate speeches ... and that was the worst of the entire day.

Mind you ... you will be that busy throughout the whole process ... you'll hardly get a chance to eat or even drink. You will be walking around through the entire reception thanking everyone personally pretty much for attending. It was a blur ... the day went so quick ... it was strange.

We were exhausted by the end of the evening.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #51
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
@ Yellow Festive what sort of honeymoon are you after? Mine was very much inside the square (tropical island been waited on hand and foot - brillant experience) But I presume you would be after warmer weather come September?
I ended up booking Tahiti, staying at the Hilton in an over water bungalow on Bora Bora.

Got the all inclusive package..... Hows that phrase go? Happy wife, happy life lol
Old 09-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #52
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Hows that phrase go? Happy wife, happy life lol
More like: "If she ain't happy, you ain't happy. And if she ain't happy for long enough, you're gonna be unhappy, with half your stuff." to mis-quote Jeff Foxworthy

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #53
roadrage77

The thought of having to deliver a wedding speech chills me to the bone I tells ya!
roadrage77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #54
T3man
Banned

HA! ... the wedding is nothing to be afraid of. Just stand up and face her like a man!

The divorce ... now that's another thing. Now you really need to ne nervous, very nervous. How much is THIS gonna cost? You are allowed to cry like a little boy.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #55
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Once you're married, just remember that your approach to the Minister for War and Finance will be one of asking forgiveness (rather than asking permission) for everything you do.

Here endeth the lesson.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #56
T3man
Banned

Never give flowers.

Never give ANY kind of present outside Birthdays Anniversarys etc.

To do so is an admission of guilt - even though you've done NOTHING.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #57
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

happy wife happy life
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #58
T3man
Banned

Grandad always told me that when looking for happiness a bloke needed ...

... a woman who would be his friend and care for him and look after his kids,

... a woman who would be loving, passionate and totally devoted to him,

but above all else he needed that these women should never meet.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #59
Bobman
Regulator

I guess I'm lucky that my girlfriend does not believe in marriage.

All the best and enjoy your special day! As long as you have some good mates there who can take the attention from you by doing something silly, then you'll be fine!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)