Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Default Help me pick a first car

Hello. I'm seventeen years old, and I soon plan on buying a first car. This car will be used frequently, covering many kilometres per year. It must be a Ford, as I've loved them ever since I was growing up and my grandfather owned a 1978 Ford LTD, complete with 5.8 litre V8. My parents say that they will buy me my first car, but
1) It must be sold for under $35000 or so
2) It cannot be older than about 8-10 years (they consider cars like XB Falcons to be unsuitable as daily drivers, although I'm not sure why).

I have come up with a few choices sofar.

1) Ford BF Fairlane
2) Ford FG XR6

Out of these, I prefer the Fairlane, but I'm worried that the sheer size might make it difficult to park, and for some reason unknown to me, they have a poor reputation amongst Ford lovers. However, I love the way they look (my dad considers it an old man's car and encourages me to buy the FG XR6 as he feels that it looks more modern), and the sheer size and luxury compared to the others. It also has some nostalgic value (due to the aforementioned LTD) and due to the relative unpopularity, it is a little more exclusive. I'm not interested in a BA Fairlane, due to the lack of the 6 speed automatic transmission.

I have heard many great things about the FG XR6 (as opposed to the Fairlane, which I don't think a kind word was ever said about). I've heard that it is dynamically pretty great. They also have a five star safety rating and come in manual! These cars also have street cred. However, I consider them to be quite ugly (sorry!), as I have never liked Euro cars, and the FG looks far to Euro for my liking. The BF cabin is also a much nicer place to be, with better air conditioning (which is very important to me). Speakers/etc. don't matter to me, as they'll most likely be replaced. Buying new might be a little expensive, but I should be able to find one in good condition, manual, and slightly used.

I could also buy a BA/BF XR6, but it's a bit difficult to find in manual (if it's going to be auto, why not just get the Fairlane?), and even more difficult to find a manual in great condition.

Which of these should I buy? Are there any other Fords which I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post