Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2006, 01:42 AM   #31
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav0
i mean when you think about it the purpose of a bussiness is to make money and lots of it......does this mean the oil giants arent actually a bussinesses......guess its lucky they didnt make 500 billion plus profit :monkes:
Actually I agree with the first part of your comment.

Companies should not be burdened with the hardship of having to balance the drive for profits against social conscience. I think we expect too much from them.

Let them go as hard as they like to maximise profits and satisfy their shareholders.

Let a strong regulator look after our interests and pull them into line.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #32
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote

School mums telling me how much safer they are in thier top heavy 4x4's that they can not even see little johny on the crossing for the shinny bull bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Coyote
Just remember what our other car is honey! (100 series Landcruiser)
Oh that's right you painted the back of the bullbar black so the bullbar would not reflect.
bwahaha, owned by your other half
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #33
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

A guy I used to work with told me that the HSV VP Senator was and still is the fastest production car ever made in Australia : Trying to keep a straight face, I asked what sort of 1/4 mile they are capable of and he said something like 11.5!!! He continued, "I haven't seen one in ages, I think all the owners are taking them off the road to keep them in mint condition."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.

Last edited by Kenaz; 25-04-2006 at 12:04 PM. Reason: more info
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #34
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
bwahaha, owned by your other half

glad Im not : or : .

oops! gotta go and finish the ironing :
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #35
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
A guy I used to work with told me that the HSV VP Senator was and still is the fastest production car ever made in Australia : Trying to keep a straight face, I asked what sort of 1/4 mile they are capable of and he said something like 11.5!!! He continued, "I haven't seen one in ages, I think all the owners are taking them off the road to keep them in mint condition."
He got the numbers right... but in the wrong order! :

15.1 would be a bit more correct... :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #36
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate who knows everything about everything met a guy with a LS1 commodore ute fitted with an exhaust and blower. He claimed it produced 300 rwkw - which is quite possible - but he also claimed it would run a 9 second quarter because a ute is lighter than a sedan. My mate was so convinced he got pi*sed off when i asked - how do you get that power to the ground sunshine??
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #37
Rollin
Banned

oh boy...so many to choose from...two standouts:

New apprentice came over to chat to me while I was working on my car, looks at me trying to route the PCV hoses neatly over the turbo intake pipe and says "My mates car would smash this"

So I asked him what his mates car is...it was an N/A V8 F100...with apparently 600hp at the treads, and a 7 speed NASCAR automatic gearbox. Of course I asked him about the gearbox, as I'm under the impression that NASCARs are only allowed to run 4 speed manuals (correct me if I'm wrong) and he INSISTED it was definately a 7 speed auto directly from a NASCAR...

Second one:

Was talking to a guy at a party who reckoned he put 4 turbos on his girlfriends carby laser, with quad carbs and quad exhausts, and intercooled...reckoned it hammered until it blew up, which is why I couldnt see it.

And of course, anyone who believes Holden is better than FORD
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #38
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha nice reads,

ok, back when i was at uni, i met this guy that was the biggest $###head ive ever met, we'll call him kim. He was telling me that fords were so crap because the au was the first to use coils in the rear end, and holden have been for years before that, he didnt want to come and have a look under my xe, nearly had a punch up with that guy
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #39
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav0
i mean when you think about it the purpose of a bussiness is to make money and lots of it......does this mean the oil giants arent actually a bussinesses......guess its lucky they didnt make 500 billion plus profit :monkes:
The comment I made was profiteering not that they make a profit.

Any Business large enough to control the market has a responsibility that smaller companies don't, purely by the fact the market principles are being skewed by their dominance. Cartels such as that in the oil industry have us by the short and curlies and there is nothing we can do about it so long as we wish to use their products. That does not mean however we should be happy to line their pockets. Further to this domination they are shoring up the next generation by their envolvement in the solar industry buying up patents and sitting on them.
Old 25-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #40
TuMor
its not a!

I was waiting outside a part one night, and looking at a neat looking covered up torana on this driveway. I was talking to this kid who says its his uncles torana, and that it will be given to him when he turns 18. It was a tidy car from what i could see, i asked what it had under the bonnet...and it started.

He said it was a v8, yeah i could believe that...as well as it was a 308ci v8. Now he went on to say it had a blowoff valve and an intercooler, i asked "is that because its turboed?" He said, "Yeah, but not a single..its got twin turbos, and its supercharged"...and the ИИИИ just kept on coming, my mate and i started asking wierd questions for a laugh. "Does it have a 13.5 inch diff?" "Does it have NOS?" "Does it have 360deg cam duration?"..all answered with a prompt yes. Also found out it ran a flat 10s 1/4mile, on half throttle because it couldnt keep the nose down. WTF! all that, and its only a 10s car?!?

The kicker was when i asked "Does it run on pure B.S?"...that was a yes too. I was laughing too hard to go on...
I love feeding it to em, to see how far they go...

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #41
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuMor
I was waiting outside a part one night, and looking at a neat looking covered up torana on this driveway. I was talking to this kid who says its his uncles torana, and that it will be given to him when he turns 18. It was a tidy car from what i could see, i asked what it had under the bonnet...and it started.

He said it was a v8, yeah i could believe that...as well as it was a 308ci v8. Now he went on to say it had a blowoff valve and an intercooler, i asked "is that because its turboed?" He said, "Yeah, but not a single..its got twin turbos, and its supercharged"...and the ИИИИ just kept on coming, my mate and i started asking wierd questions for a laugh. "Does it have a 13.5 inch diff?" "Does it have NOS?" "Does it have 360deg cam duration?"..all answered with a prompt yes. Also found out it ran a flat 10s 1/4mile, on half throttle because it couldnt keep the nose down. WTF! all that, and its only a 10s car?!?

The kicker was when i asked "Does it run on pure B.S?"...that was a yes too. I was laughing too hard to go on...
I love feeding it to em, to see how far they go...

AHHHHH HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH @ "Does it run on pure B.S?"...
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #42
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=coyote]

The diesel pundits claiming their beasts are eco friendly oil burners

QUOTE]

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...f=2&bg=32&pp=0

All those diesels in big 4 wheel drives are using less fuel than the much more aerodynamic and 2/3 of the weight Falcons and Commodores on petrol.. if the Falcon was available with the 2.7TDV6, expect about 7L per 100km on avg combined hwy/city. I don't care if you don't like diesels, but let's look at the reality of it.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #43
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

[QUOTE=chevypower]
Quote:

QUOTE]

All those diesels in big 4 wheel drives are using less fuel than the much more aerodynamic and 2/3 of the weight Falcons and Commodores on petrol.. if the Falcon was available with the 2.7TDV6, expect about 7L per 100km on avg combined hwy/city. I don't care if you don't like diesels, but let's look at the reality of it.
I actually have a diesel but when they are used for short trips they are far less efficent, I understand your arguement but in the context of it's use i dissagree. If you do long trips at normal operating temp they can be a good alternative
Old 25-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #44
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The best one i've heard was from a guy I used to know telling me that the EL XR6 (they were new at the time) had an optional V8. Nothing I could say would change his mind.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #45
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

[QUOTE=chevypower]
Quote:

QUOTE]

The best I could ever get out of my 2.4L Hi-lux diesel was 11.5 highway, my 5.4L V8 gets 9.5/10.0. I personally think it's a lot to do with aerodynamics and 4WD's total lack of it!

On topic, I was told if you run over a cane toad and squash it's gut's out onto the road...it can suck it back in and hop away totally healthy..he was serious!

Last edited by FPV329; 25-04-2006 at 08:13 PM.
FPV329 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #46
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I don't own one but it seems odd to suggest that a Patrol or Crusier uses less fuel than a Falcon or Commodore. I found this quote from NRMA:

"Fuel consumption - usually the bane of four-wheel drives - is relatively modest. You can get down into the 11 litres/100 km region on the highway, while in town you'll do 15-17 litres/100 km. These figures are comparable with a Falcon (well a GT anyway).

Still, when you see $200 click over on the pump (three hours after you started filling the tank) it does focus your thoughts on the possibility of next time choosing a smaller car."

Just food for thought!
ps, sorry for hijacking!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Was waiting in a mates driveway, and his girlfriend questioned me on having my park lights on instead of my headlights. I could have told her the truth and said that I didn't want to shine my lights in his lounge room window, but instead told her that my last electricity bill was huge, and I was economising. She believed me. 3 weeks later she told me that she found out that cars have a battery.

Oh, and yeah I've been told about the Ford V6 that apparently goes into every falcon. I told him he was an idiot and I wanted to speak to someone who had been working in the caryard for more than a week.

Quote: