Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #31
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: October 7 2016 for the last Australian made Ford

I gotta say I feel for you guys because I've been through this once before with the end of a local manufacturer that designed some excellent cars. I was won over to the Ford camp only to see the same thing happen all over again! Although in the long term it was predictable and inevitable, the way the country was being "restructured".

If a globalised "One Ford" is the way Ford HQ has to save itself, you can't begrudge them that, but unfortunately for the discerning consumer it leads to a bland, dumbed down product.

Looking back a decade there was still Ford's excellent European range and the talented Australian designs. Personally I was very keen to stay with Ford it was looking so bright - then this. Unfortunately it's all USA-directed so we won't see anything particularly good or interesting again.

Even in Europe, I see the once-excellent and top-selling Focus having its head chopped off by VAG group models that capture the needs of the market much better.

In Australia, there will be nothing from Ford that will replace the design excellence of the Falcon and Territory, though I hope the Australian-designed push into the 4WD market (Ranger, Everest) will give Toyota's dominance there a bit of a bruising. If you're buying in that 4WD/light-truck sector I reckon that's the best path for a Ford enthusiast in Australia and I certainly hope the local design centre is allowed to survive and keep doing its excellent stuff.

Unfortunately I'm not in that sector of the market so it has to be bye bye to Ford. As I said, been through it before and it's painful.

And as for what's happened to Australian industry I seriously worry for my kids where exactly this country is going to go in the future.
Old 13-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #32
HULK_I6T
Banned

Id buy one sooner than later...

When people are in their last weeks of employment, some running down their sick leave, im worried their could be a few quality issues. Anyone worried about that?
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #33
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Same day as the VFII reveal sheez....

Mixed news for the teams but at least it also gives many of us a full years notice to secure our last ride......I'm still dumbfounded the hole this will leave in our culture after living with these all my life and picking up where family and so many others had left off...you can't help but feel a little lost without knowing that AUSTRALIAN Falcon, a piece of us, will be sitting in the showroom when you need it. And that day you pick her up will never come again. To live with my young family growing and never being able to share my love of these things with the new generation by walking into the showroom again and then sharing that thrill and explaining 'this is one of ours and part of what it means to be Australian'. Thrills and all. Flaws and all. Who cares. She was ours.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #34
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

When people are in their last weeks of employment, some running down their sick leave, im worried their could be a few quality issues. Anyone worried about that?
No.

Message too short

No.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
Old 13-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #35
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:

Won't be any different at Holden or Toymotor either when they reach their closure dates - human nature will be what it is. Rather than put yourself through the unnecessary trauma just don't buy one.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #36
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Won't be any different at Holden or Toymotor either when they reach their closure dates - human nature will be what it is. Rather than put yourself through the unnecessary trauma just don't buy one.

Russ
True... thats why i say buy sooner than later before the employees start to clock off.. (whether it be ford, holden or toyota)
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #37
rdmr

Quote:

As a worker that ****** me off. The last ones will be built with great pride. As are all our cars. The only dodgy quality is that comment.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #38
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmr View Post
As a worker that ****** me off. The last ones will be built with great pride. As are all our cars. The only dodgy quality is that comment.
As a recent buyer of an FGX XR8- I have been very impressed with the quality of the product. It is well built, and it is clear to me the pride you guys have building these things.

Thank you for the car, and I am sure as hurtful to you closing time comes, your pride will remain to turn out the best product possible.

Hulk- I know you like trolling, but you also need to take care not to unnecessarily upset people who are in a very unsettled position.

You are clearly not going to buy a Ford, given you for some unexplainable and obtuse reason are happy driving a whitegoods Camry fridge, and therefore your post oozes schadenfreude.....

Not cool given the context

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The good thing is the most experienced, best workers remain. And with plenty of time to get things right cause a lot of areas are not short of time.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #40
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmr View Post
Don't worry hulk is just being hulk. He'll find a way to turn any topic on its head to take a thread off topic and garner attention. You guys have been around AFF here long enough no one is listening ;)

4 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #41
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what is being done to mark this event?

Anything?

I recall when it was first announced, everyone talked about making a giant pilgrimage, and lining the streets with Falcons. Is that still happening?

Personally, I am well up for a road trip. Probably take the boys along, although I don't think they really understand my passion.

Just need to figure out a suitable car. I'd love to take the TTG, but I don't think I can afford the bill. Still got one of the AU's but its a bit of a hack now.
Xr4 would be economical, but it was made in Germany.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #42
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

Hoping one of the tv networks maybe does some sort of documentary on Ford Australia, including showing footage of all the processes of manufacturing of the last Falcon (and previous models, if footage was available).
stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #43
The Snout

^ Something on Channel 31 was tee'd up last I heard.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post