Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #31
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bee Keeping

My brother worked for Ergon for 35 years and he says they would often remove old power poles that had hives in them, nearly always near ground level.
So that's one more option to get a hive.
They do have a downside as their wax is extremely difficult to remove off a surface, my pool runs off 3 external power points and when the pump wouldn't run it was discovered that they had built their hive in the 3 connected points.
We couldn't find a solvent to clean them up so new ones were the only way out.
I've just counted 8 entrances into our walls and one aluminium sliding window assembly is welded in place.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #32
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heat gun. You need to melt the wax, mp is around 60-65deg
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #33
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I had a look at these a while back. Apparently a lot of people are having great success with them.

http://www.honeyflow.com.au/

Cheers
Col
Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #34
Boosted8
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaOebmy1Kk0#t=3.679886

Check out these frames
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #35
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
advising all the newbies to try them in colder climates maybe isn't the best idea.

why not? Do your research, have the optimum hive site - easy as. Even in "warmer" places its recommended to put a foam box on your hive for insulation, heat will kill them just as well as cold. (I dont have a box on mine though).

http://www.zabel.com.au/information-factsheet.htm

Sadly they are becoming trendy and the price of a hive is attractive to the scum who steal and flog other peoples stuff, hive theft is on the increase.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #36
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
why not? Do your research, have the optimum hive site - easy as. Even in "warmer" places its recommended to put a foam box on your hive for insulation, heat will kill them just as well as cold. (I dont have a box on mine though).

http://www.zabel.com.au/information-factsheet.htm

Sadly they are becoming trendy and the price of a hive is attractive to the scum who steal and flog other peoples stuff, hive theft is on the increase.
So would you recommend a newbie to get one of Australia's stingless breeds and try them in southern parts of Australia where it's cold?......where they aren't even found naturally..... Bar the breed you mentioned but even that's still rare I thought.
And yes I've also been told they need FULL shade!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 12:00 AM   #37
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
So would you recommend a newbie to get one of Australia's stingless breeds and try them in southern parts of Australia where it's cold?
yup, within reason - I did. *Quality* research is your friend.

Quote:
......where they aren't even found naturally..... Bar the breed you mentioned but even that's still rare I thought.

Its species, not breed and not as uncommon as you seem to think. If you read the factsheet (from probably the biggest sugarbag bee supplier in aus) you will see they have been found naturally occuring as far south as Bega in nsw. Bega is not a very warm place in winter.

Quote:
And yes I've also been told they need FULL shade!
Nope. Facing north east & morning sun until about mid morning IN SUMMER. See Below -
c. The hive must face between North and east to get the morning sun.
d. Locate the star picket so that the hive will be in the shade from 10 a.m. in the summer. Please remember to keep cobwebs out of their flight path.

Mine have heavy dappled shade in summer but in winter there are no leaves on the mulberry tree & on nice sunny winter days the bees will be seen doing "housework". Way cool

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 AM   #38
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
yup, within reason - I did. *Quality* research is your friend.

Its species, not breed and not as uncommon as you seem to think. If you read the factsheet (from probably the biggest sugarbag bee supplier in aus) you will see they have been found naturally occuring as far south as Bega in nsw. Bega is not a very warm place in winter.

Nope. Facing north east & morning sun until about mid morning IN SUMMER. See Below -
c. The hive must face between North and east to get the morning sun.
d. Locate the star picket so that the hive will be in the shade from 10 a.m. in the summer. Please remember to keep cobwebs out of their flight path.

Mine have heavy dappled shade in summer but in winter there are no leaves on the mulberry tree & on nice sunny winter days the bees will be seen doing "housework". Way cool
Thanks for that....man they're fun little creatures. The more I learn the more I'm convinced of getting some!
Edit.....the first couple of paragraphs of that article say that the 3main species are very hard to keep in colder climates. So which stingless species suit the colder Aus conditions then! ( not that it bothers me in qld, but I'm sure many members are from SA,VIC,TAS and so on)Carbonaria perhaps?

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 08-03-2016 at 12:57 AM.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #39
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that....man they're fun little creatures. The more I learn the more I'm convinced of getting some!
Edit.....the first couple of paragraphs of that article say that the 3main species are very hard to keep in colder climates. So which stingless species suit the colder Aus conditions then! ( not that it bothers me in qld, but I'm sure many members are from SA,VIC,TAS and so on)Carbonaria perhaps?
Tetragonula carbonaria can thrive in cooler climates.
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: