Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #31
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

AS mentioned before, very slowly attempt to drive out. Air the tyres down, as your gently accelerating try and slowly turn the wheel from side to side, and also get some mates to either pile into the vehicle, or onto it. DO NOT use a snatch strap as a winch extension, they are not made for it and could break (very nasty when it happens). Ideally even if you can try, get a hand winch and attempt to winch the vehicles to the side, or using a snatch block and try remove the vehicle. A winch is your best bet due to the slow motion of pulling a vehicle. PLEASE NOTE - if your in mud, or boggy soil, the force of suction on the vehicle will increase the weight of the car, so you may need to try find a big winch. If any vehicles can move, try rocking them backwards and forwards, get a couple of star pickets and use them as levers on the tyres. Very basic, but works well (i suggest wearing gloves as they may slip a little)

Good luck, and get some pics up.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
How about the advice, did anyone think???

Brainless morons such as your self who think they are invincible end up costing emergency services money and get other people into danger all because you wanted to have "fun".....

And for those who keep missing the message.... there is now up to 72 people feared dead in Toowoomba because of flooding, not to mention others (at least 6 that i know of) who have died because they hav driven into flooded roads....

Last night there was flash flooding in Townsville... and you idiots thought it would be fun to go for a drive?
Oh no people using cars for recreation and entertainment!! What has the world come to...
Is this guys area actually flooding? or are you just bringing in an unrelated topic.
4wding is fun, sometimes you get stuck. Stop being negative and calling these people idiots.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #33
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
gobble gobble.....
That's a turkey you goose.

How many vehicles have bullbars equipped to take a winch? If there are any now is a real good time to invest in them.

You need shovels, hi-rise jacks, a winch or three (Good quality WARN or equivalent, not cheap rubbish), drop the pressures in the tyres.

If you don't know what to do with all that gear you're about to learn real quick.

Have fun.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #34
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Some heshian bag's sometime's help so I am told, if you can't get stick's etc in there, this is another theory that I have heard of but never tried.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #35
KYSBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Did anyone think after the second or even third vehicle got bogged to change strategies, instead of just driving into the bog one after the other, I have tears in my eyes laughing just imagining it, that clip on video would be priceless

Apart from that your options are shovel and lots of digging, and hand winches such as a good turfer with some timbers and sticks and more digging, google 4X4 recovery techniques to learn more.

but this has just made my day, the funniest thread ever since I been here
touche!!
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

exhaust driven airbags are good for lifting wheels out of bog holes so you pack stuff under them(quick too), i remember bogging a tractor years ago, should you get a tractor to help you , walk the area first and pull from the most firm ground/area you can , long cables are your friend!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
arlester

Thanks guys for your help. It really is soft there after the rain last night but the ground is starting to harden. expecting more rain soon and not many people up here wanna help
arlester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #38
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

All of the suggestions above cover your only options.

My advice is dig dig dig dig and dig a little more. Once that vehicle is free get it to hard ground immediately and start the recoveries from there. You may have to dig all of the cars out if like you say there is little hard ground around. In the abscence of good winches and jacks you dont have many options.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #39
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Hate to say it but if the rain up there is anything like we are getting down here in the SE, lock it up and come back in a few days after the rain.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #40
Kryton

Doesnt really seem like you want to get your vehicles out at all.
Your only looking for someone else to help you - help yourself.
Get some shovels and dig.
Get some proper RATED recovery gear and use it.
Get a HiLift jack and use that as a hand winch.

You got yourselves into the mess your in, no one is going to help you, so you need to get yourself out.
Whilst your doing that, have a think about WHY you're in the situation you're in.
Road tyres off road in mud and stuff all recovery gear - hope you learn from it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #41
arlester

Good news. we've got two out and are pulling the others free. Thanks for your advice it did help. Looks like i'll get to sleep in my bed again tonight.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #42
1TUFFUTE
Banned

you need WINCHES and maxi tracks or make your own...and start diggin....the car aswell as stopping any more water getting on the tracks.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #43
stevesandra

Wheres the photos????????
stevesandra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #44
arlester

Because I'm on my iPhone right now I can't give photos but hopefully get them on the computer later
Old 11-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #45
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

so what idea worked .. even with everyones experience ,maybe you tried a unique way that just might help someone one day . if you have not in the past i would suggest you go on a 4wd club outing you will find that the recovery gear is rarely used ... knowledge and experience learnt by others the hard way . hope you had fun , get some tyres and winch ,go back and teach that mud a lesson ... keep the shiney side up now pics asap
Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #46
KYSBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
you need WINCHES and maxi tracks or make your own...and start diggin....the car aswell as stopping any more water getting on the tracks.
I use two pieces of weldmesh with a couple of ropes attached to retrieve them. Got me out of the **** plenty of times, mainly sand tho.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #47
arlester

For the two first cars it was hand whinch which someone brought out. Then from then one we used those two cars to pull most of the others out with snatchem straps. Got two left now I think
Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #48
Kryton

Good to hear its all going well.
The Maxi Tracks you have would help too.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #49
arlester

Yeah those MaxiTraks do pretty well
Old 11-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #50
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlester
Yeah those MaxiTraks do pretty well
Im a cheaparse and didnt want to pay $300 or so for maxtrax so i built my own.
Get a milk crate and a hacksaw, cut up each side, cable tie them together and bam, instant maxtrax. They fold up too if you do it right. Do this till you have at least 3.

And yes before im attacked they got me unstuck in the sand and no i dont skimp out on any other recovery gear.....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #51
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Im a cheaparse and didnt want to pay $300 or so for maxtrax so i built my own.
Get a milk crate and a hacksaw, cut up each side, cable tie them together and bam, instant maxtrax. They fold up too if you do it right. Do this till you have at least 3.

And yes before im attacked they got me unstuck in the sand and no i dont skimp out on any other recovery gear.....
Any pics of them?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #52
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

i can come around in my Pajero :P. Nah mate seriously where are you, My mate had a GQ with 6 inch lift, 35's and locked, and he just needs an excuse to get it muddy.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #53
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Any pics of them?
I have only this one taken right after i put it together.

I can take some more tomorrow if you like.

EDIT: Found another pic on my phone.

Subaru Outback '02

Last edited by TheInterceptor; 11-01-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Found another pic
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #54
BIG_BOSS
BA XR8 UTE

may b a bit of hard work, but you can use hi-lift jacks as a hand winch, hook 1 snatch strap/chain to the top of the hi-lift, and that strap/chain around a tree.(dont forget the tree protector)(for greenies) hook another up to the car & the bottom of jack, use it like u are jacking jut obviously horizontal, not vertical, is slow & tedious, but it has worked for me on numerous occasions.
BIG_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #55
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock260
i can come around in my Pajero :P. Nah mate seriously where are you, My mate had a GQ with 6 inch lift, 35's and locked, and he just needs an excuse to get it muddy.

Thanks for the offer mate. But we got em all out.
Almost down to perfection the cars came back exactly 24 hours and 14 minutes after they left.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #56
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairBA
Call the local Toyota dealer - Tell them you'd like a demo of what a 200 Series can do.

Yes, a demonstration on why IFS is *****.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #57
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Yes, a demonstration on why IFS is *****.
Independent suspension is only ***** in the wrong hands. If you pick your lines more carefully then there is no issue.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #58
KYSBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Independent suspension is only ***** in the wrong hands. If you pick your lines more carefully then there is no issue.
Hmmm, dunno about that mate.
I think it is more relative to what you want to use it for. IFS is great for comfort and ride quality, solid axle is great for articulation and keeping all 4 on the deck.
Not too many comp rigs with IFS, most of those guys are pretty good at picking lines......
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #59
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYSBF
Hmmm, dunno about that mate.
I think it is more relative to what you want to use it for. IFS is great for comfort and ride quality, solid axle is great for articulation and keeping all 4 on the deck.
Not too many comp rigs with IFS, most of those guys are pretty good at picking lines......
Yeah true. A deeply rutted track heading uphill would probobly be a nightmare for an IS vehicle, would be alot better if locked front and rear. A solid axle vehicle would pretty much go through without too much of a fuss.

But for your average track it shouldn't be a huge issue if you apply logic to your driving.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #60
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

hmmm its turned to comp trucks ... i would scare the pants off most where my crappy ifs prado will go , and im sure hummers are full independent , i love my patrols and had half dozen of them but really ifs aint that bad and the comfort is a real bonus .

but i still want photos