Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #31
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilracer_01
Where do you live I will come around and knock some sense into you.
I was just about to comment on the unusual level of maturity being shown in this thread until I read that post
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the nicest holden body ever imo , buy it its : ...........full speed ahead.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #33
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hell if I found a good Monaro for $20k (legit), I'd be tempted to sell my WRX and pocket the change. It would have to be manual though.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #34
DeansXR8

strongly suggest it...had a 05 CV8 before the XR8, which i loved, the only problem i had was dealing with holden service...tools.
I also had wanted the monaro's since the prototypeand got it and luuurved it, so i am biased comparing it to the XR8 but,
-the monaro seemed quicker off the mark.
-Bit less taxi-ish inside(even though still commodore base) and
-(what i loved the most) attracted a fair few more stares from onlookers.

Being an 03 you'll get a proper size boot(non american-ised) too, my one was small but we did a couple of weekend trips away with four people in it so had enough room and the couple in the rear didn't complain, except when waiting for the seats to move forward(electric) was a bit slow.

So from a biased ex monaro owner- jump at it.

Last edited by DeansXR8; 20-03-2008 at 06:58 PM.
DeansXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #35
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Mate freakin buy it! At 20k its a bargain and theyre awesome cars. Much better than a normal commodore.

I drove one with a full aftermarket exhaust and a tune (Hows that for showing people trust your driving skills? I was just 19!!) and damn it was nice. Bloke couldnt believe I turned the radio off. I just turned around and said listen to the exhaust mate!

I had permission to give it a blast from 0-80ish (was told to just stop in the middle of the road and then plant it) and they bloody fly. Awesome take off and sound. And Im sure it would only get better at 100+.

So all in all your be crazy to pass it up. They look horn, drive nice and for 20K if you decide later you dont want it you can sell for more and make a profit!
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #36
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brothers got a CV8 and two mates have CV8Zs. My brothers had a fair few drama's with his, but mechanically its been good.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #37
ELtim
Six One Eight

I'm a ford man but I'm saving for a Calais.

If you like it, go for it.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
The monaro offered to me is as follows:cv8 03 series 2 or maybe series 3 im not sure but the owner is going to email me the build date so I will know for sure.Its purple haze,5.7 auto ,1 owner, books, full service history with 70k.And the price is for a neat 20k exactly.so you can now see why I would be crazy not to buy this car.
Mate if you dont want it, give me the details and i will buy it. Too cheap to pass up, i have always been partial to Monaros (newer ones that is)
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Definitley get it. Being an 03 its a VY version, right? With the nicer interior and the 235kW 465Nm LS1?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #40
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi guys ,hate to shock you too much but I,m thinking of buying an 03 monaro after being offered it for a very good price.I am a dedicated ford man and currently own four fords.I have never ever owned a commondore and the closest I came was owning a gemini many years ago.While a am a ford man I dont mind the look of the monaro and was very impressed when I first saw the prototype at the Sydney motor show many years ago.Just for the record my pride and joy is my 67 xr v8 fairmont,I also own a very nice p6 ltd which i am thinking of selling.Over the years I have driven many friends cars of holden decent being old school monoro,xu1 and some commondores.I am having it inspected on tuesday and will go from there.So what do you guys think?
They're 8's are awesome I must say.

A lot of my friends have the V6 3.8 though and I have to say they are terrible so as long as you don't by that you should be able to sleep at night.
Old 21-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #41
Royal Blue
The Mechanic

i have to agree with dave289. the level of maturity is impressive. im as much into fords as i have always been, but im actually a holden dealership mechanic. both ford and holden build quality are bloody good now, in Arab Emirates they are considered better than BMW, Merc. etc. of the same year model.

the monaro's and commodores don't have too many problems these days although they still have steering rack leak issues, but that is the only real concern.

good luck with it

Dan
Old 21-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #42
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

mate by the sounds of it even if you purchased a holden these guys aren't racist... at the end of the day even if you can make something on it who cares what it is...
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #43
groops

I've just sold my AU 3 XR6 with mods, and I'm house sitting for a mate with a VY Monaro. One thing about Pete's monaro is that it's from the 1st lot(don't know what year they were first introduced again) but it's only got 30,000kms on the clock, so it's still new as far as I'm concerned. He left me the keys to 'take it for a spin once or twice a week'. My car was just as quick as it, but damn the Monaro has to have the nicest driving position ever. I can't believe how comfy it is to drive. It's been lowered too so handling is nice, but I've driven Dad's VZ Monaro and it's just as nice. As other posters have said, you'll at least have a decent sized boot. That's the only thing stopping me from buying my Dad's when he's finished with his...no boot. But mate, do it, i'm sure the inspection will be all good.

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #44
blueprint babe

I've got blue blood through and through but once upon a time I was a holden girl.....
EEEK, this is like a confessional!!!!!
Mate, all the Ford boys I know would say you were crazy if u didnt buy it and I would have to agree.
The price sounds fantastic as does the condition and k's.
Now if it was a stocko 6 commodore there may have been slaps, but how can anyone say no to an 8 no matter what team it is if its going for a good price?
Good luck mate, sounds like an awesome deal.
Old 21-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #45
Josh L
Laser Driver?

I have blood that is more blue than the Ford badge itself. I love my Fords with a huge passion. But as mentioned before, by nitrane, if Ford got off their fricken crack and built a couple of models for their hardcore followers... I'm sure you would get that.

The Monaro came about because Holden KNEW the people wanted it, so they built it.

Definitely go for it! I love the V8 Monaros and the V8 Crewmans. I would quite happily buy either one of those or both if I could.

I love the way that the LS1s and such can be made to sound so oldschool when it comes to the note. Definitely get it!

Josh.
Old 21-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #46
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Monaro for sure

My cousin had 1 and it was an animal

Only done full exhaust system, air intake, cam and custome tune and it was a weapon especially in 3rd gear
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #47
dave289
Banned

Thanks for all the advice.If all goes well I should have it by thursday or friday of next week.I'll post some pics.The car is stock standard as far as I know and I have always thought that the ls1 does not sound all that meaty as compared to the ford equivelant and especially after driving my old beast.Some have mentioned they can get a good sound from them.While I plan on keeping the car pretty much standard I do like the idea of a better exhaust with a better sound as the ones I have heard sound more like a six cylinder compared to my 67 xr fairmont.I also like the idea of the bonnet scoops as seen on the later model CV8-R.I'll have to see how the funds go.Slightly lower with nice wheels would also be a bonus,where do you stop.Anyway i'll see how things go and hopefully post some pics up next week.Does this mean i'll have to sign up to ls1.com?
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #48
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's good to see so many people that would give their time to another brand, even if it's a direct competitor.

I'm a Holden man, but I've contemplated buying many different cars from different brands, including Ford. I would love a Subaru Liberty though.

You should buy what you like I reckon. Who cares what badge it wears?

Monaros are sexy looking cars. Although a real Monaro is one with a V8.

Good luck with whatever you decide on mate.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #49
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Go for it mate. Make sure you ask him about the Gudgeon Pins (VX/VY series 1 Had a oil consumption problem). other than that i would take it off his hands anyday. We have had 4 SS's in our family, 3 of them Gen III's and you cant kill them with a stick. They go like a shot dog too mate.
Old 22-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #50
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock260
Go for it mate. Make sure you ask him about the Gudgeon Pins (VX/VY series 1 Had a oil consumption problem). other than that i would take it off his hands anyday. We have had 4 SS's in our family, 3 of them Gen III's and you cant kill them with a stick. They go like a shot dog too mate.
Its an 03 series 2 so hopefully I can avoid the oil consumption problem.I remember when the ls1 first came out and they seemed to have quite a few dramas with oil consumption.Hopefully they recitified it on the 03 models.He told me that he has just had the 70k service and has recently had the radiator replaced ,so hopefully all is good.I would have expected the radiator to maybe last longer than 70k and under five years but maybe not.
Old 22-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #51
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Yeah, i would of exected it to last alot longer than that too, we havent had any such problems as that, but it sounds like its been rectified now. Yeah, i think you may have got away with it being a late series 03 model.
Old 22-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #52
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Hi guys ,hate to shock you too much but I,m thinking of buying an 03 monaro after being offered it for a very good price.I am a dedicated ford man and currently own four fords.I have never ever owned a commondore and the closest I came was owning a gemini many years ago.While a am a ford man I dont mind the look of the monaro and was very impressed when I first saw the prototype at the Sydney motor show many years ago.Just for the record my pride and joy is my 67 xr v8 fairmont,I also own a very nice p6 ltd which i am thinking of selling.Over the years I have driven many friends cars of holden decent being old school monoro,xu1 and some commondores.I am having it inspected on tuesday and will go from there.So what do you guys think?
Theres only two cars Id jump to darkside for, series 3 Monaro CV8, and series 3 Holden GTO, both coupes! If the price is right, go nuts!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #53
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Next car i buy will either be the last shape GTO coupe or a VE HSV.
Snap it up mate, i am sure you will!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #54
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELtim
I'm a ford man but I'm saving for a Calais.

If you like it, go for it.
I will sell you a 2000 calais, 5.7 litre v8, full exhaust, leather interior and all the calais stuff for $13000.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #55
boss-290

Bloody-well buy the Monaro then!

You've obviously come here to get flamed and possibly try and get people to persuade you in not buying it?

What the hell do you want from us?
Old 23-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #56
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

In early 2003 all LS1 engines received a revised piston & ring package to overcome "ring flutter". The ring flutter problem was usually caused by glazed bores - due to the incorrect engine run in procedure (ie people grannying the engine & not making it work/loading it up etc).
A couple of things to be aware of ;
- Door lock actuators can sometimes play up ( the car horn will give 4 quick beeps if the door/s don't lock).
- Water penetration into the rear footwell area (usually a bad door seal or poorly applied sealant to the underfloor area).
- Holden run a special additive to their diff's to overcome "diff chatter" (which is actually the diff lsd cones engaging/ disengaging). The additive is a friction modifier & can turn the lsd into a single spinner. Somtimes it's better to run a little less additive & retain the benefit of a fully working lsd.
Your radiator problem seems to be one off - most them are fine up to about 150,000k's.
Personally, I found mine a little doughy down low. Diff ratio change, exhaust & tune has turned it into a real weapon.
Good luck on your purchase - you certainly seem to be buying at a very favourable price.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #57
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
Bloody-well buy the Monaro then!

You've obviously come here to get flamed and possibly try and get people to persuade you in not buying it?

What the hell do you want from us?
What I wanted was to hear what ford enthusiasts think of the v8 monaro.One other thing I have wondered is will these cars hold their value or maybe even go up in value over time? Probably better to ask a ford enthusiast than a holden one for a less bias answer on that.
Old 24-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #58
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
In early 2003 all LS1 engines received a revised piston & ring package to overcome "ring flutter". The ring flutter problem was usually caused by glazed bores - due to the incorrect engine run in procedure (ie people grannying the engine & not making it work/loading it up etc).
However, they were still having gudgeon-pin issues (and other piston issues) well into early 04. MY 03 SV8 had engine replaced for excessive gudgeon-pin noise at 80,000km. It still rang great, used no oil, but sounded like a coffee-can full of rocks.

Quote:
Personally, I found mine a little doughy down low. Diff ratio change, exhaust & tune has turned it into a real weapon.
Good luck on your purchase - you certainly seem to be buying at a very favourable price.
Yep .. my SV8 is stock and it's doughy. This CV8 sounds like a great price to buy and mod a little
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #59
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

For 20K, I'd slap you if you didn't. I seem to be one of the few that like the CV8 scoops around here, but for the 03 it's a bargain... just not a fan of the colour, and make sure there's no spoiler on the rear, spoils (ha) the whole look of the car.

For those that see them doing 11l/100k's, have you taken a look under the bonnet? Are you sure it's an LS1 under there? While I could probably have obtained 11l if I lived on a highway onramp and my job was on a highway offramp, my edited LS1 never came close to those figures when I actually drove it on roads with lights and traffic. Until I got 3.91's installed, 6th gear was hopeless on an incline under 110kph.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #60
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Indeed. Did the same mods to my SS. I recall coming back from Melbourne after 2 weeks and driving around in an XT a few years ago. Thankfully one of the guys I was travelling with was part of the Qantas club so we got there a few hours before and downing free booze like no tomorrow, but anyway...

Next morning, fire up the SS and decided to give it a little squirt on the main road because I missed her, 4 years later and I think my neck is still sore from it.. forgot how savage they can be, edited exhaust and tuned.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post