Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #31
fos408

I actually thought the article was quite good to modified car owners with the police officer making it quite clear that the vast majority of clubs liase and do the correct thing when driving their cars. Being an ex member of smasa I agree they dont wont the idiots around and it is nice to see the officer in question seperating the club and others from this crap instead of what has happened in the past where the media's adgenda lumps thenm altogether as hoons. Being no fan of the police in SA with regard to how they act towards modified cars thanks to Ranns policies I would congratulate the officer for his enlightened attitude and thank him for saying what he did to the press.
fos408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #32
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
that's a BS excuse.... so if there's no shooting range its ok to shoot in the local park???
I wouldn't go as far to call it a BS excuse, but I know where your both coming from and I do agree with both of you.... I mean, in my town theres no dragstrip or race track or even a skidpan for 2000kms i any direction, no joke...

There are car enthusiasts/hoons all over Australia and not enough places to cater for there needs.... I have 4 football ovals and 3 cricket grounds with 5kms of my house, 2 sports centres and 2 pools.... The way i see it, i drive my car more than they play footy and cricket, and i know cos im on the local footy and cricket teams....

The only place that can come close is the tiny 5*5 square pad at speed way for burnout comp lol and thats out of town... ONCE a year....

Instead of spending money on speed cameras, stupid laws,etc Why not build more strips, circuits, skidpans etc....

Peace out, I'm mean no harm to anyone
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #33
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
I wouldn't go as far to call it a BS excuse, but I know where your both coming from and I do agree with both of you.... I mean, in my town theres no dragstrip or race track or even a skidpan for 2000kms i any direction, no joke...

There are car enthusiasts/hoons all over Australia and not enough places to cater for there needs.... I have 4 football ovals and 3 cricket grounds with 5kms of my house, 2 sports centres and 2 pools.... The way i see it, i drive my car more than they play footy and cricket, and i know cos im on the local footy and cricket teams....

The only place that can come close is the tiny 5*5 square pad at speed way for burnout comp lol and thats out of town... ONCE a year....

Instead of spending money on speed cameras, stupid laws,etc Why not build more strips, circuits, skidpans etc....

...still no excuse to shut down a main arterial and force 'civilians' to run the gauntlet...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8

more area`s to accomadate these guys might help, but there will always be the simpleton black sheep that will do the wrong thing.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #35
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
more area`s to accomadate these guys might help, but there will always be the simpleton black sheep that will do the wrong thing.

Yep thats true.... But theres black sheep everywhere.... If everyone followed the law there would be no accidents, murder, assault,etc

The focus should be on the people who want to do the right thing but can't, as they are usually the ones complaining... Like Me!

The idiots will always be idiots....
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #36
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
that's a BS excuse.... so if there's no shooting range its ok to shoot in the local park???

Trust you to find the extreme.
But yes alot of people find there local forest or farm.

If you have all the answers lets hear em ?

There would allways be the odd person flogging the car on way home or something.
But if i had and im sure others would agree if there was somwhere locally you could legally use more than 20hp on a road im sure you would ,Be it a skid pan or drag strip .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Trust you to find the extreme.
But yes alot of people find there local forest or farm.

If you have all the answers lets hear em ?

There would allways be the odd person flogging the car on way home or something.
But if i had and im sure others would agree if there was somwhere locally you could legally use more than 20hp on a road im sure you would ,Be it a skid pan or drag strip .
Respect for the road rules, other road users and the application of intelligence and self control would be a good starting point.....

Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #38
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Port Pirie has a burnout pad but it rarely gets used. There is talk about a Burnout pad going ahead in Port Augusta but that is pending funds being raised to build it, so thats one of them pipeline dreams.....
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #39
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Respect for the road rules, other road users and the application of intelligence and self control would be a good starting point.....
Yes application of intelligense and self control would be the solution to the half the worlds problems ,
May i ask how would you enforce this or make the people live to those rules .
You couldn't not a chance unless you what to start a hilter type regime .

I respect the road rules and other road rules everytime im on the road ,but it doesn't quench my desire to let the throttle rip and enjoy driving for a minute or two .
Instead i drive like a robot day in and day out . Maybe im brainwashed enough to do this for the rest of my life . But it seems these people have had enough and with now where to quench there desire they have found away to do it without getting punished . An eventually somone will suffer most likely the normal law abiding people that get hurt or with punished with tighter laws.
But laws dont mean nothing if you dont get caught.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #40
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes application of intelligense and self control would be the solution to the half the worlds problems ,
May i ask how would you enforce this or make the people live to those rules .
You couldn't not a chance unless you what to start a hilter type regime .

I respect the road rules and other road rules everytime im on the road ,but it doesn't quench my desire to let the throttle rip and enjoy driving for a minute or two .
Instead i drive like a robot day in and day out . Maybe im brainwashed enough to do this for the rest of my life . But it seems these people have had enough and with now where to quench there desire they have found away to do it without getting punished . An eventually somone will suffer most likely the normal law abiding people that get hurt or with punished with tighter laws.
But laws dont mean nothing if you dont get caught.
In Victoria we have a heap of ways to enjoy your car off road, 5 circuits, 2 drag strips and a legal burnout facility, not to mention dozens of endorsed off road driving events. Yet we have possibly the worst illegal drag racing and "hoon" issue in Australia... if your theory is correct then WHY does Victoria still have a huge problem..?

Last edited by 4Vman; 06-07-2009 at 09:24 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #41
Thankfull
Banned

They are tempting fate with Parliment for sure......its only a matter of time, usualy when sombody gets killed unfortunately.

The Legislation to ban P platers from driving performance cars is before the South Australian Parliment, it just has not been acted on yet....so they are tempting fate.

The way the Press blows things up, it would not surprise me if they also added curfew hours on P platers as well.

It does not take much to get knee jerk reactions out of our Law makers, if enough idiots do the wrong thing....weather they be P platers or not.

They are tempting fate......
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #42
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The front page of my local paper today had a big write up on one of our hoon's that has been caught time and time again.
Last yr he rolled his commodore and in the process lost his arm, he recieved a huge finaicial payout from TAC, (what a joke but that's another topic alltogether).
Just this weekend he was once again caught to be in a vehicle traveling at dangerous speed's in the city, ( not the driver though, but his car).
He has also been knocked back by Vic road's on a set of plates that he has odred for his vehicle, that read 1armhoon, and he is taking them from knocking him back.
He has been caught time and time again and has not learn't his lesson, just how do you teach these kid's to show a little respect ??.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #43
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In Victoria we have a heap of ways to enjoy your car off road, 5 circuits, 2 drag strips and a legal burnout facility, not to mention dozens of endorsed off road driving events. Yet we have possibly the worst illegal drag racing and "hoon" issue in Australia... if your theory is correct then WHY does Victoria still have a huge problem..?

Well the same way speed camera's help the road toll imagine how bad it would be if we didn't have them.

As you know i live in victoria , An i would not even know how to have a drive on any track or drag strip unless it appears on this forum. I only know of 1 drag strip in heathcote thats a 3 hour drive . An i dont know of any track were i could turn up and have a run .
Also what maybe once a month if that .
The events you speak of are in my eyes not nearly good enough or often enough. Or as much a secret as the illegal drag races.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well the same way speed camera's help the road toll imagine how bad it would be if we didn't have them.

As you know i live in victoria , An i would not even know how to have a drive on any track or drag strip unless it appears on this forum. I only know of 1 drag strip in heathcote thats a 3 hour drive . An i dont know of any track were i could turn up and have a run .
Also what maybe once a month if that .
The events you speak of are in my eyes not nearly good enough or often enough. Or as much a secret as the illegal drag races.
It isnt that hard to find a place to enjoy your car.... join a club, make some enquiries, we have phillip island, sandown, calder, winton, broadford, heathcote, most of which have open "test and tune" days, or at the very least club run events....
If you're serious about enjoying your car freely and safely you'll make the effort, if not, well you're not really serious about it are you....Nobodys going to hand it to you on a platter...

Old 06-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #45
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It isnt that hard to find a place to enjoy your car.... join a club, make some enquiries, we have phillip island, sandown, calder, winton, broadford, heathcote, most of which have open "test and tune" days, or at the very least club run events....
If you're serious about enjoying your car freely and safely you'll make the effort, if not, well you're not really serious about it are you....Nobodys going to hand it to you on a platter...
Far enough i understand that . But to say its easy it is far from.

But say that to a bunch of teenagers that have nothing to do exect for getting drunk . You do need to hand it to them.
Look at bendigo , The hoon capital in victoria . They do blocks drive around the town endlessly .
When i lived years ago in my teen years , we used to out of town and have timed runs through this tiny twisty little single lane road through the bush at night just so we could see if an other cars was coming our way. It was dangerous as all hell an i amazed me a my mates are alive .

Hell They built a skate park to keep the skaters out of the street . But nothing but contempt people that like cars . You could not and still cant even park your car in town and talk to a mate standing beside your car without being hassled or havving your car gone over.
Even if they gave them somwhere to hang out it would solve the town issue . I really believe that.

But feel free to walk the street blind drunk no worries smash a few letterbox's while your at it no problem .

It only a problem because it all part of a agenda.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Far enough i understand that . But to say its easy it is far from.

But say that to a bunch of teenagers that have nothing to do exect for getting drunk . You do need to hand it to them.
Look at bendigo , The hoon capital in victoria . They do blocks drive around the town endlessly .
When i lived years ago in my teen years , we used to out of town and have timed runs through this tiny twisty little single lane road through the bush at night just so we could see if an other cars was coming our way. It was dangerous as all hell an i amazed me a my mates are alive .

Hell They built a skate park to keep the skaters out of the street . But nothing but contempt people that like cars . You could not and still cant even park your car in town and talk to a mate standing beside your car without being hassled or havving your car gone over.
Even if they gave them somwhere to hang out it would solve the town issue . I really believe that.

But feel free to walk the street blind drunk no worries smash a few letterbox's while your at it no problem .

It only a problem because it all part of a agenda.
So what's your solution? and before you reply think about and put some thought into how you'd address the set-up costs, running costs, OH+S, insurance, public liability etc etc...

Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #47
73XBGT

Quote:
Make that 1 drag strip (heathcote) and NO burnout facility..seeing as the recent shutdown of Easternats..i fear is going to spark a protest and hoons taking matters into their own hands by closing and detouring highways and streets etc, to hold their illegal activities.

The Daily: 2003 FPV BA GT-P mk1 (Build #410) silhouette black, leather/suede, auto 4 speed, SCT X4 flash tuned, BluePower racing developments cold air intake, Headers>high flow cats>HiTech “bionic” dual 2.5” stainless system catback
73XBGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #48
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also if i have never heard of any of these events someone thats is on a car based forum a hell of a lot. How is some standard joe blow ever going to know .
Before i joined the forum i never heard of a thing called a track day . I thought all that car clubs did was have car shows .
I did not even know that anyone but professional drivers were allowed on a race track .
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also if i have never heard of any of these events someone thats is on a car based forum a hell of a lot. How is some standard joe blow ever going to know .
Before i joined the forum i never heard of a thing called a track day . I thought all that car clubs did was have car shows .
I did not even know that anyone but professional drivers were allowed on a race track .
Calder on wednesdays and winton most fridays has open test and tune days....
Do some research, dont be lazy!!!!!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #50
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what's your solution? and before you reply think about and put some thought into how you'd address the set-up costs, running costs, OH+S, insurance, public liability etc etc...

Setup
1/4 mile drag strips with seperated lanes surround buy sand traps , a large skid pan with the same . It would cost a bit but well an truly be covered buy fines from reckless driving ,hoons .
Have people that wish to use the facility to sign a waver that any damage to there vechicles or themselves is at there own risk. (like at the go-kart track or on the street)
Admission would pay for the staff and food and drink stalls.
Well last time i went to calder there was about 500 people there at $25 a pop just spectating.

Just a thought .
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #51
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Setup
1/4 mile drag strips with seperated lanes surround buy sand traps , a large skid pan with the same . It would cost a bit but well an truly be covered buy fines from reckless driving ,hoons .
Have people that wish to use the facility to sign a waver that any damage to there vechicles or themselves is at there own risk. (like at the go-kart track or on the street)
Admission would pay for the staff .
Food and drink stalls.
Well last time i went to calder there was about 500 people there at $25 a pop just spectating.

Just a thought .
Who's paying for all that??? Current revenue from fines is consumed into other "projects"...
By the way you cant wiaver your rights...

Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #52
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The more they (government) push the more they "hoons" will push back, It's like when you tell a child not to do something, the second your gone and they think they'll get away with it they are doing it!

tell them they carn't do something and set up harsh laws for em if they do is like double daring these people to do it, they'll do it just too see if they can get away with it and if they get caught they figure out ways how to not get caught.

since these "Hoon" laws have come in i don't feel anything has changed and if anything it has taken it to the next level!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #53
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who's paying for all that??? Current revenue from fines is consumed into other "projects"...
By the way you cant wiaver your rights...

Current revenue is consumed in other projects that are not working. They could be used if they wished to trial it.

I wasn't sure if you could wave your rights.
Actually shows how much freedom we actually have though.
But there something you can sign happens all the time. (not sure what it is )
There is plenty of ways if they were serious , through sponsership , donations if it was non profit and worked at keeping our streets safe .

If it worked at keeping the street safe there would be ways of keeping funding available .

An if tracks well strips , race tracks would be far to expensive
were setup well it could be safe.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #54
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
When I run the car at Eastern Creek you sign a form that says any accidents however caused are at your own risk. when the 911 spun infront of me at turn1 at 180k's if I would have hit it we would have been responsible for our own repair bills even though he spun out. You play you pay.
I use the track even though it's 1.5 - 2hrs away but where else can you top 200 and not get into trouble? and have a ball into the bargain.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #55
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
since these "Hoon" laws have come in i don't feel anything has changed and if anything it has taken it to the next level!
Nothing has changed it just far more publisised by the media . If the stop reporting it we would all think it would have stopped.
I never seen a illegal race like this reported one have you ?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #56
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Nothing has changed it just far more publisised by the media . If the stop reporting it we would all think it would have stopped.

Fair call.The amount of individual heroes just driving by themselves has increased in my books though.Education needs to start at much younger ages in my book,if they teach sex ed in school(primary) then why not road safety.

just realised i got to many books

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 06-07-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: books
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #57
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
I have not seen anything on this scale but illegal racing has been going on since well, I am now 45 and when I was about 25 I had an XAGT and we used to gather on Kooragang Island every sunday arvo from about 4.00pm upto 100 or so cars for drag racing on public roads but it was an industrial area and pretty well empty on sunday arvo the cops new about it but apart from the odd raid (mainly block off the exits and defect all they could) they for the most part let the boys have fun ahh the 80's no hoon laws.....drive manner dangerous 1mth disqual. and 150 fine. 2nd offence manner dangerous speed 3mths and $300 ah yes they were the days......

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #58
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
Fair call.The amount of individual heroes just driving by themselves has increased in my books though.Education needs to start at much younger ages in my book,if they teach sex ed in school(primary) then why not road safety.

just realised i got to many books

There is just far more individuals around as well . But more education could not hurt , i could use a fair bit more myself .
Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #59
HUNTER8

While I don't agree with blocking off a major highway, this stuff has been going on in Adelaide for years. 30 odd years ago they used to use Torrens Island for it and the straight stretch of road out of Outer Harbour. The road was even measured out for the 1/4 mile and start/finish lines painted on the road.
Never went myself but did get caught up in a police raid one night.
HUNTER8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #60
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nope, I know they happen around Perth, they were happening before the Hoon Laws and now with the Hoon laws they are still happening, if anything the venues have just changed and it's become more organized.

Like you say if it wasn't reported 90% of people wouldn't even know about it.