Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just downloaded it myself and ran it. Got a few items. Its a little more involved than ad-aware and spybot but if I can do it a 3yr old can. Can't have enough of these programmes to get the s**t out.
Old 29-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #32
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADXF
can you cut and paste the hijack log into here? see if anything is amiss.
Is it safe for me to be posting that on a open public forum? As in, I feel as if my computer is "open" to anyone who wants "in". Can I PM you the log instead? Sorry I'm a bit paranoid at the moment.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #33
MAD
Petro-sexual

yeah go for it, i dont think its a problem tho
Old 29-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #34
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those of you running Firefox, what spyware remover do you recommend? Ad-aware seems to be an IE only product.
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 12:54 AM   #35
MAD
Petro-sexual

I'm running firefox 1.0 and I use adaware, spybot S&D and now I use the microsoft one... it found a few dialers that adaware and spybot both missed.
Old 29-01-2005, 01:02 AM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
Did everything as described and when I opened IE again, it was still there. Damn thing doesn't want to leave the computer! Maybe have to call an exorcist?
Get rid of IE6 and install Mozilla Firefox - you just don't get these problems on Firefox. It's brilliant!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 03:58 AM   #37
THORNSPAWN
In the Forced 'lane

Thanks Laminge it found and removed 55 spyware programs and
that was just the quick scan :
THORNSPAWN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #38
hambo_12

after recently running both Ad-aware and Spybot and CWshredder, Microsofts product still found about 10 different spyware traces. Looks to be a keeper...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #39
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADXF
I'm running firefox 1.0 and I use adaware, spybot S&D and now I use the microsoft one... it found a few dialers that adaware and spybot both missed.
Me too. I always get one called DSO usually 5 or 6 entries its one of the most constant ones :
Old 29-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #40
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AUGZMK - one more for you to try, all the way down the bottom of htis page there is a program called sphjfix.exe link here (http://www.trojaner-info.de/cgi-bin/...i?file=sphjfix) give this one a go.

http://www.trojaner-info.de/anleitun...out_blank.html
Old 29-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #41
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
AUGZMK - one more for you to try, all the way down the bottom of htis page there is a program called sphjfix.exe link here (http://www.trojaner-info.de/cgi-bin/...i?file=sphjfix) give this one a go.

http://www.trojaner-info.de/anleitun...out_blank.html
Thanks davocol, but it didn't work. Clicked start disinfection and got not infected! WTF?

I don't use IE much, but like to get rid of this thing if I could. Funny Norton Anti-Virus didn't pick anything up either.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 30-01-2005, 12:18 AM   #42
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

do not use Internet explorer at all, you will just keep getting more and more spy-ware and viruses. remove all shortcuts to it and change the defult browser to another web browser.
there are so many other better alternatives out there, i cant understand why people use IE, its just too insecure.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #43
XAHardtop
Champion Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
do not use Internet explorer at all, you will just keep getting more and more spy-ware and viruses. remove all shortcuts to it and change the defult browser to another web browser.
there are so many other better alternatives out there, i cant understand why people use IE, its just too insecure.
The only reason that IE is so "insecure" as you put it, is because it is targetted by spyware/malware/virus writers due to its popularity. You'll find that as Mozilla gets more popular, it'll start to have more problems directed at it too. Spyware is a fact of life these days and can only be minimised via sensible browsing, not downloading suspect items and constant updating of spyware removal tools like adaware & spybot. Usage of alternative browsers does limit your exposure to browser specific spyware, but as I stated earlier, the writers of these programs are catching on to this. This article at Tech Zone I found to be quite informative with regards to spyware and some ways that some new software is being written to detect it.
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2005, 11:30 PM   #44
XAHardtop
Champion Goose

Quote:
davo, tried both and no success. Thank you for the links though, found a few bugs but not the one I want to terminate.
This is a fairly good guide on removal of the about:blank browser hijack. It's a pain in the **** to get through but it does work (got rid of it off a work computer following these steps). Guide
Old 30-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #45
HOON69
Banned

im using
zone alarm as my firewall
eztrust anti virus software
spybot search and destroy
ad aware
hi jack this
cw shredder
i even now and again run avg through the computer
im sure they aint all bullet proof though,as they show no suss software yet i have alot of suss addy's when i put in "netstat" when you go to systems 32 command..

i think im gunna take it to a computer shop :(
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 12:05 AM   #46
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Thanks XAHardtop. Looks complicated, but I might give it a go sometime this week.

Just downloaded and tried Adware Away. From all reports this was looking good, but nope, didn't work for me. "about:blank" still there when IE is used and pop-ups everywhere.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 31-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #47
XAHardtop
Champion Goose

Manual method is the way to go. You have to remove the dodgy registry entries. Also make sure you restart your computer after you finish everything (delete anything from the recycle bin as well before restarting).
Old 31-01-2005, 01:55 AM   #48
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Thanks XAHardtop. Looks complicated, but I might give it a go sometime this week.

Just downloaded and tried Adware Away. From all reports this was looking good, but nope, didn't work for me. "about:blank" still there when IE is used and pop-ups everywhere.
hi Had the same problem tonight i went to a crack site all this crap started loading down and a heap of trojans along with the ''about:blank" ..
XA Coupe told me about this site today it does a free scan of your computer online works very good, i have latest nortons and it wont get rid of them but this site does, it will ask you to download a little program 1st..go for it i had no troubles there....after i used that site i got spybot it found 85 not so friendly files that ad aware didnt..all fixed up now..
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 02:09 AM   #49
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
hi Had the same problem tonight i went to a crack site all this crap started loading down and a heap of trojans along with the ''about:blank" ..
XA Coupe told me about this site today it does a free scan of your computer online works very good, i have latest nortons and it wont get rid of them but this site does, it will ask you to download a little program 1st..go for it i had no troubles there....after i used that site i got spybot it found 85 not so friendly files that ad aware didnt..all fixed up now..
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
XRFPV8, that is only for Netscape. Thanks though.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 31-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #50
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
XRFPV8, that is only for Netscape. Thanks though.
i run IE and it worked fine..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post