Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #31
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Slow down and drive with caution

exactly

hence my caution coment

I think it’s more than just young drivers needing driver awareness, EVERY one needs to be more aware and drive with a little more caution, if you look at most MVA’s involving more than one car you will find a driver outside the Young driver demographic, if the young driver had more experience perhaps they could have gotten out of the situation or at least lessened the impact, the same goes for older drivers (25+) if they were less complacent perhaps they could do the same?

I don’t see any sense in bagging young drivers, even the best 40+yo driver was once a P plater, and I would wager that that best driver in the 40+ category also did some stupid things when they were young and had some lucky brakes, I don’t put myself in the best driver category, but I have done some stupid things and had some VERY lucky brakes, and that’s why I’m here not because I’ve been good

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #32
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O and Top work every one for keeping this thread more or less on topic

Old 24-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
OK LTDHO, I expected the first part of your post earlier it seems you missed my point or dont have a clue (I'm hopeing you just missed my point)

Graham, I dont beleive I have mentioned the sex of the driver (I tried not to), the driver was mid 20's NOT a P plater
Hey Yeti, My post wasn't directed at you.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #34
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

na and no offence has been taken,

My Point is that speed and complacency is the casue of too many MVA's

Old 24-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #35
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
oh, that poor falcon
I find comments like this moronic. A car is made out of metal, plastic, glass and rubber. It does not have feelings ffs. Somebody's relative, friend etc could have been badly injured in that and all you care about is the car?

Last edited by stevz; 24-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortuneatly as long as we are human mistakes will happen to even the best of drivers apart from acting like a dipstick, someone said minutes , it does`nt need to take minutes for stuff to go wrong, a split second , a blink of the eye is all it takes.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #37
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
unfortuneatly as long as we are human mistakes will happen to even the best of drivers apart from acting like a dipstick, someone said minutes , it does`nt need to take minutes for stuff to go wrong, a split second , a blink of the eye is all it takes.
I couldnt agree more, BUT if we stuck to speed limits (the ones that are there dont need to be lowered) and showed more caution these mistakes would happen less and when they did would be less catastrophic

its all very simplistic I know, but its a start

Old 24-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #39
05_ENFORCER

As above ^^^^^^^^^^

Old 24-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #40
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Perfect excuse for govt to put in a speed camera...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #41
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I couldnt agree more, BUT if we stuck to speed limits (the ones that are there dont need to be lowered) and showed more caution these mistakes would happen less and when they did would be less catastrophic

its all very simplistic I know, but its a start
Yeti, from your description of being on a job at an MVA, you sound like you're either a Police Officer, a Paramedic, a Firefighter or a Tow truck opperator. Congratulations on posting a serious topic.

I am a Paramedic and must admit, it wasn't until I had started this profession that I had an acute insight into the trauma the body faces in such situations. I had for years previously, understood the mechanicals and physics involved in the vehicle, during a crash due to my involvement in speedway as a driver then machine examiner. Becoming a Paramedic opened my eyes and mind.

On the race track, cars rarely strike the wall/barrier or other vehicles head on, but rather brush the wall etc. There are no trees, no power poles, no cars coming at you at the same or greater speed, no children or elderly crossing the track. But on the street or highway .. well it's obvious isn't it.

Speed limits are there not to obstruct our daily drive, but to ensure as far as possible that we will survive if we have an accident. The impact to the vehicle and body is of huge proportions, and is easily disregarded by the average person.
Old 24-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #42
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6
Yeti, from your description of being on a job at an MVA, you sound like you're either a Police Officer, a Paramedic, a Firefighter or a Tow truck opperator. Congratulations on posting a serious topic.

I am a Paramedic and must admit, it wasn't until I had started this profession that I had an acute insight into the trauma the body faces in such situations. I had for years previously, understood the mechanicals and physics involved in the vehicle, during a crash due to my involvement in speedway as a driver then machine examiner. Becoming a Paramedic opened my eyes and mind.

On the race track, cars rarely strike the wall/barrier or other vehicles head on, but rather brush the wall etc. There are no trees, no power poles, no cars coming at you at the same or greater speed, no children or elderly crossing the track. But on the street or highway .. well it's obvious isn't it.

Speed limits are there not to obstruct our daily drive, but to ensure as far as possible that we will survive if we have an accident. The impact to the vehicle and body is of huge proportions, and is easily disregarded by the average person.
Yea fire fighter, the other thing to consider from the race track is the vehicels are race preped the vehicles are usualy single person operation, the track is more unifored (even in off road classes) and the saftey restraints and PPE are much better than a lap sash belt and whatever the dirver happens to be wareing, theres normaly not loose objects flying arround the vehicle on impact and the list goes on

Old 24-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
Lets not jump to conclusions. Its not impossible that a huntsman in the face or a health condition could have caused this. Or even sexual misadventure?!
Yeah it's possible. Last week a spider caused $23000 worth of damage to one of our work cars.
It was a third parties fault, not someone from my work.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #44
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok just sara in the paper the driver passed away on Saturday morning,

When I get to a computer I'll see if I can find a link

Old 26-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #45
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sort of answers every ones points, it states that the road was wet, I dont beleive it was, but it had been raning that afternoon so perhaps there was some residual water on the road thats for the coroner & accident investigators to work out

Old 26-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #46
Miss_XR6

Thats sad he died....
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #47
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Am I missing something here...???

That impact (in the grand scheme of things) looks rather 'light' - it was also passenger side.
The driver died of head injuries.... was he wearing his seatbelt????

It appears to be a survivable crash to me.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #48
Miss_XR6

^^^ Being flung around in a car accident can cause head injuries a seat belt doesnt protect your head from hitting the side window/steering wheel ect
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #49
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After seeing that I feel that I was indeed very lucky to have survived my accident then! If its any consulation at least there were no passengers!
There is one thing I remembered about my accident to, was the pain that I put everyone through! I will live with that the rest of my life, this is just a reminder! Hence my saying! My heart goes out to their family & friends
Old 26-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #50
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351

It appears to be a survivable crash to me.
You would be surprised at the look of some of the fatal crashed I’ve been too, and equally surprised at some people have walked away form

There are so many forces at play here, and the bottom line is 3 or 4 photos taken from an iPhone really isn’t enough to conduct an accurate report on the accident

Old 26-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #51
GunmetalFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
I have to say it...

It will buff out
hahah was thinking the same glad someone said it ..But its still serious and it needs too stop..etc etc etc..
Koni Suspension
Twin 2.5inch Stainless Pipes
Custom Tray
GunmetalFox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #52
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You would be surprised at the look of some of the fatal crashed I’ve been too, and equally surprised at some people have walked away form

There are so many forces at play here, and the bottom line is 3 or 4 photos taken from an iPhone really isn’t enough to conduct an accurate report on the accident
this guy walked away

So did these guys, but you really cant get a firm understanding from a few phone photos

Old 26-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #53
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rip

Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #54
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Absolutely Yeti.
Old 27-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #55
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this guy walked away

So did these guys, but you really cant get a firm understanding from a few phone photos

Good examples there Yeti. I have none to post as we are not permitted to photograph an incident ... can't anyway ... to busy.
Old 27-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #56
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sorry for the family and friends that have to go through with the greiving process now.

Going on those above images ... I would not have thought it would have ended in a fatality.

If in an accident ... and you manage to survive it ... you are very lucky regardless.

I walked away from a decent hit and multiple spin in a previous car .... it was completely undriveable.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #57
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Good thread. whilst we all don't agree with the govt's attitude toward speed and speeding, what we see in the OP pic is why the govt are like they are. there has been a bit of a spate of these of late in different states and regardless of how it happened, i think its pretty obvious, the speed limits aren't being adhered to.
i don't think speed limits need to be brought into discussion of this one. It's more a question of driving at a speed that's unsafe in the circumstances. Just because a speed limit is say 60 km/h doesn't mean it's automatically safe to drive at that speed in blinding rain or when you're going round a corner.

The government has a mantra about exceeding the speed limit automatically being "unsafe" but in reality in some circumstances exceeding the speed limit isn't unsafe and in other circumstances driving under the speed limit (but too fast for the circumstances) isn't safe. It's not driving according to the conditions that's the safety issue.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #58
prydey
Rob

did you read my full post? the last line i added that obeying the limits did not automatically make you safe, because i knew someone would eventually raise the argument you have.

as for being able to safely drive beyond the limit, i don't really care. this may be the case, but it is also illegal. i find a big problem with many in todays society is respecting authority. if there is a limit there, drive up to the limit, not beyond it regardless of whether you think you can or not. if the conditions are such that you don't feel comfortable at the posted limit, then drive slower. its hardly rocket science.

clearly, this is not about speed limits. i have no problem with people drifting over by 5-10km/h. also, clearly the accident in question involved a car that was doing more than just drifting over the 50 limit by 5-10km/h. i don't think there is any legislation that can stop things like this happening, except appealing on forums such as this for everyone to take it easy. unfortunately it normally takes a good 10 years after getting your licence to realise that parents and 'older' people do actually know what they are on about. nearly all younger drivers (myself included) get their licence and think they are schumacher.

driving is a privilege, not a right, and needs to be treated as such.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #59
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

They dont teach common sense when you get your licence or the effect of what happens when you lose control at a given speed.
Both Prydey and New2ford are correct.
Experience comes with years of driving and hopefully only making little mistakes you can learn from.
This guy has made a big mistake and wasn't lucky enough to get out of it.
A Falcon is a big car and takes a lot of pulling up when you lose control.