Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #31
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: September 2017 Sales - Ford Ranger Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
What other junk vehicle do you suggest that will tow my 3.1 ton caravan .
Can you show me a picture of your 3.1 T caravan please so I can pass it on to the authorities or is it a 5th wheel.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #32
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Can you show me a picture of your 3.1 T caravan please so I can pass it on to the authorities or is it a 5th wheel.
There is nothing illegal about towing 3.1 tons unless you know somthing nobody else does
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
I'm sorry, they do fix a purpose. A sedan based ute will not be good on the farm I agree. I'm directly comparing the falcon to the ranger and I agree that should not be a comparison. I have owned 5 fg falcons and currently own a xr8 5.4 fg and a fg x turbo ute. My father owns a ranger, a friend owns one and a relative drives a ranger for work.
I cannot change market trends or peoples opinions but after driving three rangers and a navara, and hilux all less than 3 years old I can honestly say that these people have rocks in their head when they tell me about how good the ranger is.
This is my opinion. Most people use there rangers 99 percent of the time the same as I use my falcons. these vehicles are a trend. Most are bought them to keep up with the joneses. Some people genuinely need a truck as they tow all day or need the payload on the back. They need it. But how is this type of vehicle the best selling vehicle in Australia I don't know why.
Sorry for being so negative. But those people driving rangers for the last 3 or 4 years should take a falcon for a drive for 5 minutes and they just might know where I coming from. In the last 5 years has everybody become a tradie or bought a 3.1 tonne caravan???
Much as I loved my FG XR falcon ute when I had it I for one do not miss it since owning my Ranger.
To be quite honest I was bitterly disappointed with the FG in quality & problems I had with it in which the Ranger restored my faith in the ford brand.
I nearly gave up fords after driving them for over 40 years.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Why do you need one???
I never knew they made 6 wheeled Falcon utes

Falcons can only legally tow a whole tonne less than a Ranger can. Caravans are getting bigger and heavier by the year and Falcons just don't cater for these bigger vans now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
My company had 3 Rangers. The XLT auto had a driveline vibration that couldn’t be fixed, the XL 3.2 A6 blew up an inter cooler, inter cooler hose and the transmission was replaced 14k out of warranty (although Ford covered it under warranty), and the XL 3.2 M6 had a driveline vibration that couldn’t be repaired either. 2 of the three Rangers have been replaced with VO Transit Vans, the third was replaced with my 2012 LC 200 GX.

I wouldn’t buy a Ranger again.
Quality has improved immensely over the last few years. My PX1 2013 XLT had a vibration too when it was new (which they fixed when I told them they could have it back). Even compared to our 2014 Wildtrak at work my 2017 Wildtrak is chalk and cheese.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
I'm sorry, they do fix a purpose. A sedan based ute will not be good on the farm I agree. I'm directly comparing the falcon to the ranger and I agree that should not be a comparison. I have owned 5 fg falcons and currently own a xr8 5.4 fg and a fg x turbo ute. My father owns a ranger, a friend owns one and a relative drives a ranger for work.
I cannot change market trends or peoples opinions but after driving three rangers and a navara, and hilux all less than 3 years old I can honestly say that these people have rocks in their head when they tell me about how good the ranger is.
This is my opinion. Most people use there rangers 99 percent of the time the same as I use my falcons. these vehicles are a trend. Most are bought them to keep up with the joneses. Some people genuinely need a truck as they tow all day or need the payload on the back. They need it. But how is this type of vehicle the best selling vehicle in Australia I don't know why.
Sorry for being so negative. But those people driving rangers for the last 3 or 4 years should take a falcon for a drive for 5 minutes and they just might know where I coming from. In the last 5 years has everybody become a tradie or bought a 3.1 tonne caravan???
Ive got both and the Ranger drives better then my 2016 Falcon. It sits on the road nicer, has better steering and the overall comfort ****s on the Falcon. Falcon is 3 times quicker but thats about where it ends.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #37
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

An interesting read when considering max tow rating, based on the Ranger...

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...kg-tow-rating/
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #38
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
An interesting read when considering max tow rating, based on the Ranger...

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...kg-tow-rating/
Yup, so many don't understand this.

People pay large sums for Insurance and for all intents they are essentially uninsured.
Same as those who insist on dark tints hid's etc. Its mind boggling.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yes, isn't the Rangers GCM 6 tons ?? GVM 3.2T + 3.1 T =______
There is an uprated GVM kit of 3.5 ton but surely the GCM won't change. Sounds like they're fudging figures to sell this stuff.
I couldn't imagine towing these weights at highway speeds on single rear wheels, reminds of those stupid single rear wheel European motorhomes imported here.

Imagine blowing a rear drive tyre at 110km.

Last edited by roKWiz; 06-10-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
so don't load the Ranger up to its GVM then....

I agree Ranger (and Everest) have the worst payload in their class, but they can still legally tow the rated weight providing the owner is aware of the legal limitations.

You'd probably be surprised at how low the Falcon GVM is. Start towing more than 2T and you would have to leave half your family home to be legal.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
so don't load the Ranger up to its GVM then....

I agree Ranger (and Everest) have the worst payload in their class, but they can still legally tow the rated weight providing the owner is aware of the legal limitations.

You'd probably be surprised at how low the Falcon GVM is. Start towing more than 2T and you would have to leave half your family home to be legal.
You would really surprized what you can't load into a Ranger to achieve those figures.
I didn't mention Falcons ??
I reckon if you were serious about towing large I would be looking for dual rear wheels, long wheelbase stuff. Big F series, Dodge rams etc. instead of these little utes.
I've seen a few NSW north coast stings lately taking some of these overweights off the road.
(I know, I was checked on the scales south of Coffs in my 25 year old motorhome.)

Old 06-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You would really surprized what you can't load into a Ranger to achieve those figures.
No, i wouldn't. i just don't think its fair to automatically assume someone is illegal without knowing all the facts. The Ranger can legally tow 3.1T, esp if all the payload is in the trailer and the Ranger is unmodified with only 1 or 2 occupants.

as an aside, i would hazzard a guess that in the owners manual it recommends reduced towing speeds that continue to reduce as the tow weight increases. Its not the cars fault if owners operate outside of manufacturer recommendations or illegally.

having said all that, i do agree that some of these towing combinations are getting ridiculous. allowing relatively inexperienced people on a car licence to operate a vehicle upwards of 6T is just asking for trouble.

google bruce hwy accidents and you'll find a car-van combo falls over nearly every week.

Quote:
I didn't mention Falcons ??
sorry, wasn't really directed at you. falcons were mention earlier in the thread as being just as versatile. the reality is somewhat different.

i tow a jayco swan camper van (see camping thread) and as light as they are, and as far under the max tow rated capacity of the car as they are, I would be borderline illegal on the GVM. ball weight and 4 occupants is near enough to 400kg. GVM is only just over 2200 for falcon, with a tare of over 1700 and kerb weight probably over 1800, it doesn't leave much wiggle room. thats towing a trailer at only 1.3T.

this is the reason why dual cab utes are popular. they are way more versatile than the falcons and commodores.

i really don't want to part with my falcon, but circumstances change and enjoying life in the outdoors now outweighs my love of the falcon, so for legal reasons (mentioned above) i have been looking at other options.

Ford need a territory size replacement here pronto. Everest is too big and kuga too small.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #43
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is an uprated GVM kit of 3.5 ton but surely the GCM won't change. Sounds like they're fudging figures to sell this stuff.
I couldn't imagine towing these weights at highway speeds on single rear wheels, reminds of those stupid single rear wheel European motorhomes imported here.

Imagine blowing a rear drive tyre at 110km.
Another wrong assumption Lovell's do an upgrade to 3.5 ton gvm for the ranger and the towing capacity remains unchanged which means a gcm of 7 t .
Old 06-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Another wrong assumption Lovell's do an upgrade to 3.5 ton gvm for the ranger and the towing capacity remains unchanged which means a gcm of 7 t .
GCM doesn't change with an increase in GVM i'm pretty sure. GCM is set by the manufacturer. I believe you may be able to get it increased in some vehicles but its a rather expensive exercise.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
as an aside, i would hazzard a guess that in the owners manual it recommends reduced towing speeds that continue to reduce as the tow weight increases. Its not the cars fault if owners operate outside of manufacturer recommendations or illegally.

having said all that, i do agree that some of these towing combinations are getting ridiculous. allowing relatively inexperienced people on a car licence to operate a vehicle upwards of 6T is just asking for trouble.

google bruce hwy accidents and you'll find a car-van combo falls over nearly every week.
With all due respects Rob but...
I've just completed 6 days of driving from Adelaide to Sydney, return and I can tell you that having a disclaimer in the owners manual about travelling slower to compensate for a seriously borderline load wont win you any friends on the highway.
The number of 'B' double trucks nose to tail following a line of Nomads (I say Nomads and not grey Nomads because every man and their dog is touring Australia with a van in tow these days) with their Ranger/Patrol/Land cruisers at 25km/hr under the speed limit is a recipe for disaster and I witnessed it first hand.

I've got nothing against the Ranger, they appear to be great all round vehicles, but I think people should do their homework and consider real world scenario's before hooking up their 24ft van and crossing the country line astern with likeminded people without a care in the world of how their supposed safe conduct is impacting on the people around them.

Its ok if you can pull up anywhere and set up camp, there's no pressure on you to make a motel room before fatigue sets in, but for those poor buggers lined up behind you all trying to negotiate overtaking half a dozen vans and tow vehicles travelling at well under the limit, adding 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there to their trip is not helping their situation.

In days gone by I could cover the 660km from my front door to Hay in around 7hrs comfortably, this past week it took me nearly 8 as a result of continually being slowed down by lines of cars banked up behind slow moving Nomads, the longer I spent on the road at the end of a long day, the greater risk I have of being involved in a fatigue related accident.
All they've done by solving their problem is create one for people like me, and before anyone suggests I'm impatient, I intentionally pre booked 2 stop overs so as to avoid being in a hurry, it doesn't take 3 days to cover 1400km if you're pushing it.

If your vehicle is not capable of pulling your van at close to highway speeds, you shouldn't be using that vehicle or towing that sized van.

Last edited by BENT_8; 06-10-2017 at 09:31 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #46
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
GCM doesn't change with an increase in GVM i'm pretty sure. GCM is set by the manufacturer. I believe you may be able to get it increased in some vehicles but its a rather expensive exercise.
Do some research I was sceptical also but I can assure you Lovell's can do an upgrade to 7t gcm it has something to do with a second stage manufacturer and yes is quite expensive.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #47
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Do some research I was sceptical also but I can assure you Lovell's can do an upgrade to 7t gcm it has something to do with a second stage manufacturer and yes is quite expensive.
As a truck driver I need to sit a practical driving exam to drive a vehicle with a CGM of over 4.5t in SA yet its ok for some 75yo bloke to get around in his 7t GCM Ranger and van on a basic car license.
Its bull**** and getting more dangerous as the vans get bigger and the towing capacities suggested by manufacturers increase to compensate.
It's ok whilst everything's going well, but when **** hits the fan, who pays the price.
Not Ford or Lovells.

Last edited by BENT_8; 06-10-2017 at 09:48 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #48
prydey
Rob

Quote:
With all due respects Rob but...
I've just completed 6 days of driving from Adelaide to Sydney, return and I can tell you that having a disclaimer in the owners manual about travelling slower to compensate for a seriously borderline load wont win you any friends on the highway.
The number of 'B' double trucks nose to tail following a line of Nomads (I say Nomads and not grey Nomads because every man and their dog is touring Australia with a van in tow these days) with their Ranger/Patrol/Land cruisers at 25km/hr under the speed limit is a recipe for disaster and I witnessed it first hand.

I've got nothing against the Ranger, they appear to be great all round vehicles, but I think people should do their homework and consider real world scenario's before hooking up their 24ft van and crossing the country line astern with likeminded people without a care in the world of how their supposed safe conduct is impacting on the people around them.

Its ok if you can pull up anywhere and set up camp, there's no pressure on you to make a motel room before fatigue sets in, but for those poor buggers lined up behind you all trying to negotiate overtaking half a dozen vans and tow vehicles travelling at well under the limit, adding 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there to their trip is not helping their situation.

In days gone by I could cover the 660km from my front door to Hay in around 7hrs comfortably, this past week it took me nearly 8 as a result of continually being slowed down by lines of cars banked up behind slow moving Nomads, the longer I spent on the road at the end of a long day, the greater risk I have of being involved in a fatigue related accident.
All they've done by solving their problem is create one for people like me, and before anyone suggests I'm impatient, I intentionally pre booked 2 stop overs so as to avoid being in a hurry, it doesn't take 3 days to cover 1400km if you're pushing it.

If your vehicle is not capable of pulling your van at close to highway speeds, you shouldn't be using that vehicle or towing that sized van.
I agree. I was just highlighting that what manufacturers use to market their vehicles usually comes with a few hidden caveats that most sales people wouldn't want you to read.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:

They can do GVM upgrades, and the sales staff will tell you it increased the GCM, but I would double check that with the appropriate authorities before assuming it correct.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #50
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As a truck driver I need to sit a practical driving exam to drive a vehicle with a CGM of over 4.5t in SA yet its ok for some 75yo bloke to get around in his 7t GCM Ranger and van on a basic car license.
Its bull**** and getting more dangerous as the vans get bigger and the towing capacities suggested by manufacturers increase to compensate.
It's ok whilst everything's going well, but when **** hits the fan, who pays the price.
Not Ford.
I agree with what your saying I'm just letting you know what's out there now regarding upgrades.For the record I tow a heavy caravan with a ranger and I do have a truck licence and I'm not 75 years old yet far from it but it is alarming knowing that you don't need any heavy vehicle licencing/training to tow these heavy loads.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #51
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I agree. I was just highlighting that what manufacturers use to market their vehicles usually comes with a few hidden caveats that most sales people wouldn't want you to read.
Yeah, sorry fella, I didn't mean to come across aggressive, I just read what you wrote and with recent experiences thought i'd air my concerns.
It is truly frightening the things you see on the roads today and I'm sure our interstate truck driver members could give even better accounts of what they have to contend with just to earn a buck to a deadline.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #52
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
They can do GVM upgrades, and the sales staff will tell you it increased the GCM, but I would double check that with the appropriate authorities before assuming it correct.
Jump on the New Ranger Forums. There is a guy on there that has done the Lovells GVM/GCM upgrade. He has posted up his VicRoads rego papers showing the 7000kg GCM on them.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #53
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Jump on the New Ranger Forums. There is a guy on there that has done the Lovells GVM/GCM upgrade. He has posted up his VicRoads rego papers showing the 7000kg GCM on them.
All good and well until the tail wags the dog
Old 07-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #54
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Massive profit margins for ford for crap box seperate chassis vehicles built in Asian country's.. several friends have them and the more I drive them the more I think they are crazy spending there money on cars that do nothing good but everything mediocre. Absurdly junk motor vehicles.
Ford Ranger? Fx4? Black? Flares?

Shut up and take my money!!!
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #55
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where these cars really come into their own is on the open road, or offroading, or touring with a lot of gear and towing. Sure they are not the best in traffic, but honestly its all low speed stuff anyway so does it really matter it doesnt handly like a Porsche when doing 50kmh.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #56
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I agree with what your saying I'm just letting you know what's out there now regarding upgrades.For the record I tow a heavy caravan with a ranger and I do have a truck licence and I'm not 75 years old yet far from it but it is alarming knowing that you don't need any heavy vehicle licencing/training to tow these heavy loads.
Thanks for clearing that up, I never new you could uprate GCM for an under 4.5 ton GVM vehicle. Totally agree on the licencing as well.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ford must be doing something right to be selling so many Rangers, amazing that
87% of them as 4x4s and more than 50% of them as Wildtraks and Titaniums.
That means transaction prices are way up there, frustrating that they won't
ease back on prices a bit...

Does anyone know how Everest is going, have sales stayed over 400/mth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga
Yep, so scary that the grey nomads seem so determined to trade in their houses to go caravaning,
it's hard enough to maintain concentration when you're fit and middle aged. Tow anything more than
a box trailer and you should have to do training and accreditation.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-10-2017 at 01:11 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Where these cars really come into their own is on the open road, or offroading, or touring with a lot of gear and towing. Sure they are not the best in traffic, but honestly its all low speed stuff anyway so does it really matter it doesnt handly like a Porsche when doing 50kmh.
Today a lot of drivers are more interested in texting while driving than going fast,
I think performance optioned vehicles areoff most people's radars, they just expect
good basic performance as part of the deal, (not unlike we used to get in older HP models)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #59
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
All good and well until the tail wags the dog
Does the Ranger have trailer sway control? Cause I thought it does. It works like stability control and will selectively brake individual wheels to bring it under control.

The F series certainly does have this.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #60
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, so does Everest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkHm4RYtDA
I believe the Hilux & Amarok have followed with this too.

Discos have had it for years,
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post