Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I stopped buying Motor and tried the Top Gear magazine. IMO much better value (lots thicker) and more well written than both.
Its certainly a lot thicker.... because it has way more ADS!!
Old 30-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #32
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza
And the thing that really gives me the shits is when they put the FPV Boss 315 Super Pursuit up against a Maloo, but had the Maloo as a manual 6spd and the Boss as an Auto. IMO that's not really a fair test.
It really annoys me that Ford didn't insist they take an F6 along for comparison also. I sometimes think FPV don't do this on purpose so as not to shame the V8 models even more than they have been in comparison to the HSV.
Old 30-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #33
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Buying car mags for me isn't about the info, it's about seeing the cars on nice glossy pages, photographed in interseting ways
I disagree, I also buy Penthouse for the interesting in-depth articles....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #34
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Go to page 145 of the April issue. Have a look at the start ratings on the utes. All the Holden utes get 8 stars except the Maloo which gets 7 stars. The more stars the more the vehicle is a dream ride. The Fords get 5 to 7 stars. The F6 is beaten by the SV6. How can this be so?
Old 30-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #35
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Did it every occur to anyone that perhaps the Holdens are just a better product? :

I agree it seems as though they are Biased, and while a couple of the writers may be, I think overall they are pretty fair. I can remember countless wins to Ford over Holden in motor. XR6T won their BFYB title twice IIRC.
They rated the XR6 over the SV6, highly, loved the improvements the FG GT made, and 2 months ago the editorial was a rant about how the media isn't giving Ford Oz a fair go. (3 pages over and they were Highlighting the Falcons unknown Future though....).

I think it only seems prominent due to the large Walkies they seem to get through, and the only Tuner fords they ever get are Herrods. But all in all its not too bad.
However if Cockburn doesn't make it back to writing full time I'll reconsider my subscription.

Besides, maybe Ford will get the hint and up their game even more?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #36
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Yeah I agree with this but can understand why they might be too.

If I remember correctly, in 2008 when the Honda Accord Euro won the COTY it didn't even get the front cover to itself. If it was a Falcon or Commodore that had won it would have. Maybe someone with a back issue can confirm that.

May even have been the same for the VW Golf in 2009.

Wheels havn't been putting the COTY on the cover for several years now. It gets complained about constantly in the letters to the editor, but 9 times out of 10 there is a Holden or Ford on the cover for the simple fact that it increases sales of the magazine, even though the Falcodore on the cover often only gets one page devoted to it in the news section.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #37
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Damn right, magazine covers are only to sell magazines and not to reliably inform the potential buyer of content. It is marketing, pure and simple.
Old 30-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I gave up buying that rubbish years ago, although I must say I still have 10+ years of both Wheels and Motor mags sitting in my closet. It just got to a point where you grow up and see through the mud.

I buy Unique Cars and Australian Muscle Cars, thats about it. Just wish AMC was monthly, because if the main article is about a Holden then it doesn't take long to read the whole thing.

Top Gear is shocking, so bogan, having some Australian slang here and there is ok but they go overboard; and the amount of ads is disgraceful.

Guess they are just trying to make a buck.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #39
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always got the impression that they loved the handling and steering of Ford products... plus, it seems that Holden/HSV et al is constantly releasing a "new" model.

And in this month's issue they featured our Ford XY GT shirt, leaving out the Holden ones.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #40
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Its certainly a lot thicker.... because it has way more ADS!!
Haha, true... but editorial content to ad ratio would stay the same. It's pretty much set at a maximum.

Interestingly, Men's Health is claiming to be the biggest selling men's monthly this issue, which means they knocked Top Gear off in the audits last round.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #41
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza
Anyone else get the vibe that Motor is just a LITTLE biased towards crapodores?
Speaking of bias....??

People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.....
Old 30-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #42
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit that my wife works in our local library and I receive every month's first release Motor, Wheels, AMC, Performance Ford, Top Gear etc to read before it hits the shelves. Not bragging, just lucky I suppose.

From all the issues I have gone through, my 2cents worth is that as a marketing tool these magazines do very well, bias, meh - runs evenly between the mag's depending what new brand is on offer.

These mag's are pure entertainment, they offer a good write up on many performance vehicles that many people can only dream about, some offer good technical knowledge and tips, but that is about it.

One tip though - I'm considering buying a few shares in some of these publications -I would say that all of these publications would be currently awaiting, I would say salivating, on the release of the Coyote - sales marketing must be anticipating the rush, and the unprecedented sales that the release of a new blown Ford V8 would be offering to their bottom line profit margins.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #43
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camaro, Shelby, GTS and a GT all lined up for a showdown,,,and no 0-100 or 1/4 miles times due to time contrants,,,,
due to a motor magazine not being able to manage there time i have no time to buy it
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
Camaro, Shelby, GTS and a GT all lined up for a showdown,,,and no 0-100 or 1/4 miles times due to time contrants,,,,
due to a motor magazine not being able to manage there time i have no time to buy it
The camaro and mustang probably came from Gympie and the tests were done on Lakeside.

There is no drag strip there or straight long enough to do those tests safely.

You can have your revenge though. Buy your new Comaro or Mustang somewhere else........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #45
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Wheels havn't been putting the COTY on the cover for several years now. It gets complained about constantly in the letters to the editor, but 9 times out of 10 there is a Holden or Ford on the cover for the simple fact that it increases sales of the magazine, even though the Falcodore on the cover often only gets one page devoted to it in the news section.
Thanks. Yeah I've been getting the mag on an off and noticed that it was all Holden and Ford and thought it a bit rough that when Honda had something to crow about that it didn't get the cover.

I think it's a bit rough that all Ford or Holden ahve to do is rumour bringing out a car and they get a cover, meanwhile someone like Honda or VW win COTY and can't buy one for love or money.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #46
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I disagree, I also buy Penthouse for the interesting in-depth articles....
Ah well....each to their own

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #47
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ah well....each to their own
Sorry, it was a tounge in cheek comment, in my disagreement i was agreeing with your original comments, think about it.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #48
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Ahaha yeah....don;t make me think too hard about stuff.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #49
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah I gave up buying that rubbish years ago, although I must say I still have 10+ years of both Wheels and Motor mags sitting in my closet. It just got to a point where you grow up and see through the mud.

Top Gear is shocking, so bogan, having some Australian slang here and there is ok but they go overboard; and the amount of ads is disgraceful
Yeah, I am about the same; I let my subscriptions to WRX Monthly and HSV Monthly go, ages ago for the same or the abovementioned reasons.

I also stopped buying Street Machine (after buying EVERY issue since 1986) for the same reason and also as it was getting way too bogan and West Coast Chopper orientated. Which are fine for some but not why I bought it.

I'm sticking to a very few select relevent ones now (a couple from USA) 5.0 &FF, DeLuxe etc...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #50
mcnews
Trev

The cars in Street Machine in the 80s were tops, I can still look at them and lust. Rarely do I see anything in recent Street Machine mags that give me the same level of interest.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #51
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

We all know that Holden = Bogan... and this being 'Austraya', Bogan's reign supreme in this country. Holden have to buy their support somehow.... They can't just rely on having a good product that speaks for itself.. Which other car companies actually do.
Now which other Aussie car company would do that & doesn't need to buy their customers support???
Ford of course! ;)
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #52
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Buying car mags for me isn't about the info, it's about seeing the cars on nice glossy pages, photographed in interseting ways and reading articles written by people with a sense of humor, unlike the countless online journo-bots that you can care to name.

So what if they are biased toward one make or another? In my mind, that's not really the point of such mags I reckon, enjoy the yarn, then go make your own mind up about the cars.
And you buy Playboy for the same reasons?
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #53
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

For many many years Motor and Wheels have had far too much journalistic garble in their reports which exagerate things to entertain the average reader who will never get to drive the cars being reported on (at least when new or nearly new anyway). Gave up on them long ago, a quick glance at the newsagents now and then reaffirms that opinion.

If you want more factual articles, I've found that Australian Muscle Car magazine is a much better read on new models from Ford and Holden, especially the more performing ones.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #54
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
If you want more factual articles, I've found that Australian Muscle Car magazine is a much better read on new models from Ford and Holden, especially the more performing ones.

+ 1 - totally agree.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #55
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Why are you getting upset about it, if you were working there and you were a ford fanatic, would you admit if a holden was in actual fact maybe a little better??

NO

You would find a reason to dislike or critisize the car and favour your own, the point im tryin to make here is dont worry so much what they think, drive it for yourself and make up your own mind, in part it sounds like you have already, so whats the problem????
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #56
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7njW...ger_r2-2r-8-HM

wheels magazine.
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #57
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8xr8

Oh dear.....

Bogans have taken over YouTube !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Oh dear.....

Bogans have taken over YouTube !
Yep, now the the 6.2 is not good enough, Holden will have to step up to 7.0 litres.
Seriously though, both cars lacked grip and I wonder what times are possible with
a sticky track and good rubber...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #59
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was having a look at that Top Gear mag when it first came out.. 'blaa blaa blaa Dick Johnson article'.... It was nearly two year's old Dicky with 1st rock instead of Jim Beam's.. Top Gear mag is just full of networked, recycled, cut and pasted crap!!
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post