Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #31
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Indian Microsoft phone scam

Ill have to let my gf know of this, she would fall for it but never answers the phone if its over seas.

I have had "telstra" ring me and tell me ill get discounts for paying bills on time (ive been with them 3 months LOL) and ill get cheap line rental. I dont pay line rental because of the bundle i got, after saying that she hung up on me.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #32
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Wished they would call me... Though my number is unlisted so I doubt they will
Old 25-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #33
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a whistle waiting next to the phone for the next time the filthy scumbags call....
Old 25-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #34
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

There was a guy who rang 3AW the other morning (an elderly fellow) who was quite impressed that he got a call from such a massive company as Microsoft...

He expressed that he was very glad that they had called, and was amazed that there was such technology that remotely someone could detect a problem with his computer...

The Ironic thing was - HE HAS NOT GOT A COMPUTER!!!!

Bahahahh...

Though he did take their number, which they issued and called live on air - only to not get anywhere....
Old 25-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #35
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I keep getting calls from these clowns. Depending on my mood and how much time I have on my hands I'll either have a toy with them or just tell them that I run Mac or Linux.

Always funny to tell them that I work in IT, only to be told that "if I did how did they detect a problem?" Always funny to respond with "maybe there is an issue with your systems, if you want let me log in via remote assistance and I'll look into that for you."

They always hang up at that point
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #36
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mum had them call the other day, she was doing what they said for a while then only stopped as she had to pick someone up! :-(!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #37
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs
There is a whistle waiting next to the phone for the next time the filthy scumbags call....
LOL! My Grandmother had one for "nusiance callers" as well. Actually I think it's in the drawer here next to me now....
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #38
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before I knew about this scam we had a Overseas call our house everyday. Im guessing its them, next time Ill actually answer it and have some fun with them.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #39
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
I have had them a couple of times now and the latest was on Tuesday. I let them go on for a couple of minutes about what was the problem and I played super dumb until he wanted to know what windows operating system I was using. I told him I was using an apple and he started to laugh and then his supervisor came on and asked me the same question and I replied an apple and then they both started laughing together. I said if they knew what they were doing then they would know what an apple mac was, in which we all started laughing and then they hung up!

Bud Bud
Haha, actually laughed out loud picturing this happen.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #40
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Well, go on, post them up. Then we can all call them saying "My word processor is broken can you fix it?"

Anyone said to them that they only have a typewriter yet? Can they help with changing the ribbon as it's getting a bit light now when typing?
How about, I'm running Lynx on a DEC to access the internet, can you upgrade me to Windows ME?

Let's come up with some really obscure computer systems that we can say we're running.
Ok, the website I was given, (which I would say is dodgy) is www.support.me,
the names, Ryan (No last name), and Tony Jackson, keeping in mind these are people speaking with Indian accents.... and finally a phone number that I haven't bothered to try, 08 77041012.

Like I said, I had a bit of fun with them for 20 minutes or so, they ended up trying to tell me I was connected with dial-up when I have adsl, so yeah, I haven't bothered returning their call.

Whether their information was legit or not, who knows, and I'm certainly not going to bother trying it out.

Ed
Old 26-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #41
distortion

i had these nasty people call me and my wife every day for a few weeks a while back... they were pretty convincing but i said 'how did you know there is something wrong with my computer?' to which they had no answer. I also asked which division of microsoft they were from, to which they said they were not from microsoft, but from 'windows'. I yelled a bit at them and mentioned I have family very high up in online anti-terrorism (true), to which they freaked out, and hung up! Cant imagine why My biggest concern is they always try to get through to my wife... we had made the mistake previously of having our names on our answering machine message 'Hi you've called Nate & Jo...' Fixed now, but I HIGHLY recommend not having your names at all on your answering machine...
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #42
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got a call from one of these guys a couple of days ago, so I thought I would have a play around with them.

Just set up a restricted user account, put some questionable adult material on the screen and let them have access. Never had an Indian so mad at me before
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #43
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs
they did have remote access to the computer for about 20 minutes.?
they put a trojan virus on your computer to let them in and track what passwords you put in. Make sure your anti-virus is up to date and your firewall is turned on.
Old 28-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #44
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

guys this thread is pure gold. I read this friday and they rang me saturday night while i was watching the footy. So i had a bit of fun with him for about 5min before they realised i was haven a lend and apparently wasting their time at which point i called them on their scam and started to abuse them he even got some funny ones in to. I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while, it was quite a good night with the footy going my way too lol.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #45
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
a format will fix it, yes..
A format will remove the software they have planted. It won't stop them from using what they already have on you. If you believe you have been hacked change all passwords ASAP for financial transactions to then make the stuff they already have useless.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #46
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

These turkeys rang my mum. Now she's as paranoid as they come and doesn't even like going online 'cos someone might get her information'. Well they rang, and she played stupid (it wasn't hard, she knows nothing about computers, I do all her remote work), well she asked them where they were calling from. They said Sydney. She asked for their number because she said she never touched her husbands computer, she would get in trouble (amazingly she knows that microsoft problems are plastered on your computer when you turn it on - she should, she's caused enough of them). He gave her the number 6102 - well she twigged, and asked him why he would say 61, if he was in Australia. Apparently he fumbled around for a while, and then hung up.

Well, cut to today, when I got one of these calls, I ignored the first one (I don't like it when calls say OVERSEAS private), and answered the second. Well this girl says, "I'm calling about your computer"...lightbulb moment goes off. I tell her I have a suggestion, that she never call my number again - well no, she's not taking that, she says "I will call your number", "no you won't", "Yes I will", "No you won't"...this goes on for a little while until I snapped..."what about my computer?" she said, "What?"...she'd been too busy arguing with me and forgot what she was ringing for! With that she hung up...

I'm hoping she calls again...I had fun today

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #47
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love having fun with these people. usually i,ll say "hang on a tick" then put em on `speakerphone` Go to the fridge,crack a beer,visit the dunny,burp,fart (all done with cordless facing the noise ) strange when they hang up after about 5 mins . Dont seem to get many calls now . Having a `voip`landline and a `do not call register` on the mobile seems to have slowed em down.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #48
Baby_phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
meh..

i just screw around with them.. lotsa fun, especially when you put them on hold and waste 3hrs of their life..
ahahah i play them music and tell them do u like my songs lol
* Front and Rear slotted RDA Rotars*
* Plazmaman cold air intake with 3" intake pipe*

For Show

* Red painted calipers*
* LED white interior Lighting*
* White H4, H7, H3 and T5- Blue key hole light*
* BF front bumper with grill and xr6 badge*
* Removed rear falcon badge*

For Sound

* Sony Headunit*
* Alpine type R 12"*
* Kicker 6" speakers front and back *
* Alpine monoblock*
* Alpine 4 channel *
Baby_phantom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #49
V8 6I

I would tell them I am using a Commodore 64 and every time I want to connect to the web the spider bites me.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #50
almostsane

I was at my great granny's lastnight and they called... I wish they would have let me take the call... i'm hoping they ring me sometime so i can play with them...
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #51
Cougar1999
Starter Motor

Haven't had a call myself, but my local computer support guy called me to let me know this was going on. Having read all the stuff above, I'm almost looking forward to getting a call now. Can't make up my mind whether to go down the Commodore 64 route, the burp, fart routine or the fake Punjabi voice going but, but, but, but - like an outboard motor! I'm sure going to have some fun though!
Cougar1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #52
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default "Microsoft" scammers

Just had one of those “Microsoft” Indian scammers on the phone ... “Good evening sir, this is Michael from Microsoft ringing to tell you we have discovered viruses in your computer”

“Really” I said, “do you know, I found some myself some time ago”.

“Oh” he says, “what type?”

I said “I was walking down a street in Mumbai and I nearly tripped over this huge pile of cow dung. When I looked closer, I noticed something moving and found that it was crawling with maggots who were all on the phone ringing Australians and telling them they were from Microsoft”

The conversation terminated.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #53
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Microsoft" scammers

lol nice. It's a shame how often this will work.
Would be great to somehow get their number spammed in return.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #54
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I kinda hope I get one of these one day. I'm curious how far they would be able to take the conversation since I'll give them my IP address as being 127.0.0.1 :-)

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
I kinda hope I get one of these one day. I'm curious how far they would be able to take the conversation since I'll give them my IP address as being 127.0.0.1 :-)
Yeh but protocol is that they would just get some local host to loop back to your address and arp about it. Do you really have that much time to live? Just tell then to ping off and drop any replies.

It is a Syn if Acknowlege them and you are just opening up a window.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #56
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

threads merged
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #57
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I got michael tonight too! he said my laptop was the problem...i told him I had an apple laptop (true), I didn't even get to finish the word apple and he hung up! Rude bugger!

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #58
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeh michael rang my dad a few weeks ago. Then later the same day he rang back again, but with a different voice. Lots of Michael's at Mircrosoft. Michaelsoft?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #59
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found an interesting little tidbit today, about this very nifty little scam, turns out, they are now apparently asking for money at times as well...

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_312488

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 27-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #60
brumby200
Starter Motor

I had one of these calls saying my MS OS was compromised.. I said really.. interesting given I only work on a Mac... Call ended with me slamming the phone..
brumby200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post