Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course there is a reason why spies are usually shot.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
My spies tell me that the turbo I6 is now going to replace the V8 completely and be FPV only with stocks for 5 years whereas the new V6 will be fitted to all falcons with no turbo option.

2011 GT will be an I6.
double barrel shotgun!!!

Old 24-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #33
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Of course there is a reason why spies are usually shot.......
lol don't even joke about stuff like that...

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #34
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

From Drivel:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=64516&vf=2

Quote:
Ford will abandon plans to build a new small car in Australia and instead produce four-cylinder versions of its locally made Falcon and Territory models, according to sources at the company.

The local car maker will reveal its plans later today, but a source confirmed the announcement would centre on the introduction of new environmentally friendly engine technology for the Falcon and its soft-roader spin-off, the Territory.

Ford had planned to build the Focus small car in Australia from 2011, but is believed to have canned the project in favour of building a new turbocharged four-cylinder engine claimed to deliver six-cylinder performance with the fuel consumption and emissions of a small car.

The ‘Ecoboost’ engine has been developed by its US parent company, and Ford global product boss Derek Kuzak recently told media the company planned to have a four-cylinder engine in every car in its range.

Ford planned to build 40,000 Focus models a year, with 15,000 earmarked for export. Senator Kim Carr, Federal Minister for Innovation, Industry Science and Research, will attend the announcement at Ford’s Broadmeadows headquarters.

The new engine program is likely to receive funding under the Government’s Green Car Innovation Fund, which has already spawned similar programs from Holden and Toyota.

Holden has received $149 million in funding to develop a new small car, the Cruze, at its Elizabeth Plant in South Australia from 2010, while early next year Toyota will begin selling a hybrid version of its locally-built Camry sedan with $30 million funding.

The Ford source said the new engine program would not affect the company’s existing six-cylinder engine operations in Geelong.

Ford had planned to close the Geelong engine plant in 2010 and import a V6 engine from the United States, but reversed the decision after receiving assistance from the Government late last year.

All three local manufacturers are reshaping their operations in an attempt to come to terms with the shift away from locally produced large family cars to soft-roaders and small, fuel efficient vehicles.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #35
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Just had the announcement from Ford. Media release should be out soon.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #36
HSE2

Quote:
My spies tell me that the turbo I6 is now going to replace the V8 completely and be FPV only with stocks for 5 years whereas the new V6 will be fitted to all falcons with no turbo option.

2011 GT will be an I6.

There is only one person on this forum that can get away with this.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR4T Falcon...

Old 24-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #38
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Diesel falcon???

http://www.theage.com.au/national/fo...0724-dvhc.html

Quote:
Ford will abandon plans to build the small car Focus in Australia and instead produce a four-cylinder version of its existing Falcon and Territory range.

An announcement from the company is expected later this morning.

But a source confirmed the announcement would centre on the introduction of new environmentally friendly engine technology for the Falcon and its locally built offroader, the Territory.

It is believed today's announcement will include a $230 million investment in new petrol, LPG and diesel engines for the Falcon and Territory - and that no jobs will be lost at the Geelong and Broadmeadows plants.

The move away from a locally produced Focus - previously promoted as part of a global shift towards smaller, more fuel-efficient cars - is expected to come as a surprise across the industry.

It is understood that the high cost of producing the Focus in Australia, compared with lower-cost economies overseas, was a major barrier.

By 2011, the Ford and Territory range is expected to include:

* A four-cylinder, two-litre petrol ``eco-boost'' engine with greater fuel efficiency and lower CO2 emissions.

* A two-litre liquid-injection LPG engine that will be promoted as the most advanced LPG engine in the country.

* A 2.7 litre V6 diesel engine - again with lower emissions and higher fuel efficiency.

Ford had planned to build the Focus small car in Australia from 2011, but is believed to have canned the project in favour of building a new turbo-charged four-cylinder engine claimed to deliver six-cylinder performance with the fuel consumption and emissions of a small car.

The Eco-boost engine has been developed by its US parent and Ford global product boss Derek Kuzak recently told the media the company planned to have a four-cylinder engine in every car in its range.

Ford planned to build 40,000 Focuses a year, with 15,000 earmarked for export.

Senator Kim Carr, Federal Minister for Innovation, Industry Science and Research, will attend the announcement at Ford's Broadmeadows headquarters.

The new engine program is likely to receive funding under the Government's Green Car Innovation Fund, which has already spawned similar programs from Holden and Toyota.

Holden has received $149 million in funding to develop a new small car, the Cruze, at its Elizabeth Plant in South Australia from 2010, while early next year Toyota will begin selling a hybrid version of its locally built Camry sedan with $30 million funding.

The Ford source said the new engine program would not affect the company's existing six-cylinder engine operations in Geelong.

Ford had planned to close the Geelong engine plant in 2010 and import a V6 engine from the United States, but reversed the decision after receiving assistance from the Government late last year.

All three local manufacturers are reshaping their operations in an attempt to come to terms with the shift away from locally-produced large family cars to offroaders and small, fuel efficient vehicles.

According to industry sources, Ford is expected to announce that the production of the three new engines will mean that no jobs will be lost.

It is understood that Ford will continue to source the Focus from overseas locations.

An announcement from the company is expected in the next few hours.

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

175.6 rwkw

Old 24-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #39
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
XR4T Falcon...
XR4TDCi
Old 24-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #40
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Right, so by "Ford is expected to announce that the production of the three new engines will mean that no jobs will be lost" I take it that the 4-Cyl Petrol, LPI and V6 Diesel engines will be made in Oz?

Luke
Old 24-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #41
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Right, so by "Ford is expected to announce that the production of the three new engines will mean that no jobs will be lost" I take it that the 4-Cyl Petrol, LPI and V6 Diesel engines will be made in Oz?

Luke
Diesel is Welsh, but the I4 rumour seems to have traction.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #42
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i think this is all bad a 4 cyl falcon phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #43
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
i think this is all bad a 4 cyl falcon phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht !
I4T.

I think it will be interesting, but I've had since November last year to contemplate this.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #44
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
An official announcement is expected at 1pm.
Argh! After lunch then.

175.6 rwkw

Old 24-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #45
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well have to wait and see what they do to falcon (hoping Flappist is WRONG) by the looks, the one thing thats probably been holding the terri back is fuel consumption this should be a plus for many potential customers.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #46
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I smell a rat.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #47
HSE2

It is understood that the high cost of producing the Focus in Australia, compared with lower-cost economies overseas, was a major barrier.

If this is true of one
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #48
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I4T.

I think it will be interesting, but I've had since November last year to contemplate this.
I'm with you Paxton took me a while to accept it but now I think it's going to be a winner.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #49
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Will the I4 Falcon get a new name and compete in a different market category?

I'm not sure how the industry can support having the 'Camry' and the 'Aurion' in different market segments when they are dimensionally equivalent, but if Ford don't do the same they'd be crazy.

But even more importantly, what does this mean for the 4Cyl Mondeo? Will Ford Oz stop the imports?

Lukeyson
Old 24-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #50
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it's certainly unexpected and would have caught Holden off-guard but essentially Ford plans to build a Camry, and when you look at the YTD sales performance of the Camry/Aurion twins it leaves a lot more to be desired.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #51
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

This must have been axed very recently. Last week or 2. It has been still under consideration and researched up until then.

If this is true, then it's not surprising as costs for the program were escalating rapidly.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #52
mcnamg

Does a 4 cylinder falcon mean bye bye Mondeo again?
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FWD I4 Falcon anyone???

** runs and hides***

Old 24-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #54
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Just read in the Herald Sun, Holden already have diesel Commodores being tested at Lang Lang (Proving Ground) already also have a coupe and a convertable.
They might have just beat Ford again by a few hours
Old 24-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #55
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

It was clearly obvious that ford was not going to build the focus in oz. To this day it had never been confirmed to build it here and there was no preperation work done at all in the factory. So to stay afloat other options were need to be looked at.
Old 24-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #56
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
FWD I4 Falcon anyone???

** runs and hides***
Nope. Motor runs north/south so RWD it is
Old 24-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #57
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Holden have been playing with diesel Commodores on again and off again for a couple of years now.

But this "announcement" is odd...usually when a decision of this magnitude is in the works, there is a leak, like the I6 announcement.

And yeah, a 4cyl Falcon is going to sit very stupidly in the lineup with the Mondeo. Unless it's going to be a fleet-only car, in which case goes totally contrary to the spiel that has been coming from Mr Burela about Ford pursuing private buyers and leaving the fleets alone.
Old 24-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #58
ausr11
Starter Motor

no export no focus built for oz diesal for terr and 4cyl eco boost for falcon and straight six inj gas

Last edited by ausr11; 24-07-2009 at 01:33 PM.
ausr11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #59
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Ford HQ has been saying that there will be 4cyl engines put in all vehicles as soon as practical. This should be no surprise to anyone...

It will complement the I6 great and will be brilliant on LPG! Assuming that the sources above are correct...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #60
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Carrrrm onnnnnn there's got to be some 'reputable' info about this out there by now :