Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #31
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: Chip foose..

I'm a big fan of the Chip Foose style... I love how he 'evolves' a design so that it is original and modern at the same time.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #32
XM-coupe

From my Understanding Boyd taught Chip and when Chip decided to go out on his own he became a competitor and Boyd didn't take it too well
XM-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #33
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

I watch all the car shows, good, bad or even just to have a laugh but... I wonder if the guy that tought Boyd was upset when he went on his own? Thats life...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #34
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM-coupe View Post
From my Understanding Boyd taught Chip and when Chip decided to go out on his own he became a competitor and Boyd didn't take it too well
IIRC, Chip was building cars with his dad at a young age, then went on to Collage to study design, then did a stint at Ford.

To be honest, I don't think Boyd taught him too much, rather Boyd saw Chips potential as a car builder and designer...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #35
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
IIRC, Chip was building cars with his dad at a young age, then went on to Collage to study design, then did a stint at Ford.

To be honest, I don't think Boyd taught him too much, rather Boyd saw Chips potential as a car builder and designer...
Actually, from watching the shows it is my understanding that CHIP credits his dad for his ability to do what he does with the cars...

And when i mentioned earlier about CHIP coming down under i meant , to do his great work on some of the cars here in australia..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We used to watch American Hot Rod when we were in Brunei. Very entertaining! From what I gather Chip worked with Boyd for a while and when he left it was rather acrimonious.

We didn't really find out how strongly Boyd felt about it until Charlie, a long time panel/paint shop employee, decided to take up an offer with Chip. Charlie really agonised over that decision, torn between loyalty to Boyd and the opportunity of something better for him (and hence his family) with Chip Foose.

When Charlie left Boyd refused his offer of a hug, at least on camera anyway.

Shortly after that we saw Charlie pop up on Overhaulin', and I think Mike, another Boyd employee, also turned up on Overhaulin'.

Then Boyd died rather suddenly following surgery; that was a big shock.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep in mind what country they're in as well...

Wages, even for skilled employees, are a lot lower than they are here. Car parts are staggeringly cheaper than we ever see here in a vastly wider range. Then throw in wealthy sponsors and big networks and a high rating show, and it's nothing to them to rebuild something and give it away. There's also a massive number of shops doing all sorts of work...you don't have to travel a massive distance to find someone to do, for example, an upholstery job.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
I HATE queuing in lines more than 5 min..
This is me hands down. My patience runs dry pretty quickly. As much as I would really love to shake the hand of this guy, waiting hours on end to do so puts me right off.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #39
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM-coupe View Post
Not quite how I inderstand it.

I thought Chip was the workshop manager for Boyd, the guy actually building the reputation building cars that Boyd took all the credit for. Eventually Chip went out on his own and that's when the troubles started for Boyd. Chip had been carrying Boyd's operation for years but getting next to no recognition and clearly the depth of talent in the place wasn't very deep.

As far as I'm concerned;

FOOSE is a legend

4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #40
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You could say that when Foose left, boyd had a Chip on (or off) his shoulder....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #41
red_hotxr6
Banned

so the two of them use to work together, funny how i only know of Chip...and not Boyd....what does he do now???
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #42
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Not much. Google him.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #43
edsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6 View Post
so the two of them use to work together, funny how i only know of Chip...and not Boyd....what does he do now???
Boyd died a few years ago I think...

NL Concorde with XR8 Sprint running gear.

DF LTD V8.
edsprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #44
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Boyd was the father of the modern hotrod...and built CadZZilla...so he is forever cemented in kustom car history.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Boyd came across as a real jerk off of his shows. He was a hard man.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #46
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Boyd came across as a real jerk off of his shows. He was a hard man.
Not as much as the idiot workshop manager Duane.
He seemed to be a big reason behind loosing a few real good guys. He certainly wasn't afraid to burn people.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #47
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
He seemed to be a big reason behind loosing a few real good guys. He certainly wasn't afraid to burn people.
They most likely could have edited it so they both looked like top blokes, the most easy going guys out there, but then nobody would have watched it. My understanding is that that's how tv works.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #48
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore View Post
He is...
Jul 20, 2013 - Jul 21, 2013
MotorEx Car Show
Sydney Olympic Park
I've gotta get out of Brisbane

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #49
red_hotxr6
Banned

I was watching it last night and there is a new lady and they seem to be using a new panel beater as well.....
Old 11-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #50
snowcone

Boyd was around for a long time before Chip came on the scene.
Lot's of old USA classics were running around with Boyd Coddington gear on them.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #51
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
Also I used to wonder with Pimp my Ride, how they always had absolute bombs and how they went on and on about what they did to the paint and the interior, yet never mentioned mechanical work.
a couple fast facts on Pimp my Ride that ive come across

* mechanicals were never touched, apart from the obvious ones like the VW Beetle & Chev Impala with the diesel engine
* all the houses that were door knocked were not theirs, instead a friend of the producers. And were told either xibit would show up to pimp their ride, or another person to give them a 2nd chance prize.
* Builds lasted about 6 months, and the owners were given only $2000 for a hire car in the meantime.
* all of the owners were made to sign a clause that they couldnt list the cars on ebay for a specified time after the build.
* alot of the "special features" were removed from the cars after the show before handing car over to the owners because of legality issues
* alot of the stories by the owners are crap MTV told them to say for entertaiment purposes
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #52
Happyone

If you are ever in LA, you can actually tour Chip Foose's workshop.

He only does it for about 1.5hrs a day but well worth it. The day we went his marketing manager gave us the guided tour which took only about 15 minutes as the shop is rather small.

My son got a neat drawing of a camaro, Chip Foose did and it's now hanging on his wall. Really great stuff.

The previous seasons of Overhauling were actually filmed in another shed around the same area and the paint shop he was using is at the end of his street. Can't remember their name ?

Last I heard, was the young spray painter (about 30 ...so not that young I guess) who was with Boyd Coddington, now does freelance work and also works with Foose. ---- he is an excellent spray painter.

Last year when I was at SEMA, we were almost very unlucky as the line we were in that did go for atleast 150 mtrs to meet him, cut off just right in front of us with a mile of people behind us.

The lucky bit, was a good buddy of ours was in front of me and my wife and they still got him to sign a shirt for me.

Actually, whilst they were all chatting, he drew a neat little hot rod free hand - on my SEMA T shirt which is now hanging on my wall in a nice box frame.

I don't have Foxtel anymore, so I hope if there is a new season it comes to free to air TV , it was a good show ...although the rumor why they caned it last time, because people were starting to realize the time frames for the rebuilds were just too unrealistic and some were faked. who knows, I didn't think it made any difference if they were ?

1968 J-Code

A hearse has no tow ball !

Last edited by Happyone; 11-06-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Happyone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #53
Happyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
I could never understand what he had over Boyd, that's the only reason why anyone would have kept that putz around. Maybe he had some photos of Boyd doing something that was not flattering ...who knows !

Dwane (or Dweeb as we called him) went on the West Coast Custom's after Boyd died .....but as expected, he left pretty quick ...what a doosh bag he was !

1968 J-Code

A hearse has no tow ball !
Happyone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #54
rjr

Duane has his own shop now > [website is very slow and has been like that for a long time]

http://americanhotrodsinc.com/about/

Charlie Hutton the painter has a shop somewhere > they were selling 3 of Boyds cars on Chasing Classic Cars including Boyds shop truck and Charlie was on that.

Jessi the new chick was on a few episodes of MythBusters. I think she has been on another series as well but I can't remember the name now.
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post