Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #31
cram_it_frog
wombat

Default Re: Phil Hughes dies---RIP

Did any one see they had one more death in cricket
An umpire at a cricket match in the Israeli city of Ashdod has died after being hit by a ball.

A batsman's shot struck Hillel Oscar in the neck, possibly after a ricochet from the stumps at his end of the pitch.
The incident comes just two days after Australian batsman Phillip Hughes died of a head injury caused by being struck by a ball at a match in Sydney.
Umpires in cricket, unlike some players, do not wear helmets.
However, such incidents are extremely rare.
An umpire at a match in Wales died five years ago after a ball thrown by a fielder hit him on the head.

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #32
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The many, many personal tributes are just mind boggling.
Here's another

https://www.facebook.com/foxsportsau...type=1&theater
Old 02-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #33
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleted dbl post

Last edited by ford71V8; 02-12-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: double post
Old 02-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #34
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
I was sad to read this while being stuck during the freak storm last Thursday but two things I watched/heard really bought it home for me.

- Listening to Ryan 'Fitzy' Fitzgerald on Nova 96.9 Friday evening
- Watching Michael Clarke finally let it out Saturday morning

RIP Hughesy...

Yeah watching Clarkey Saturday morning was not pleasant.

My son (8yo) has played 2 games of cricket since Hughes passed away....last night the team wore armbands, was a nice sight and I felt most understood and respected the moment well.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #35
cram_it_frog
wombat

Tomorrow a small country town Macksville will be over flowing from visitors and a live coverage of the funeral to all Australian s

this is outpouring of grief is totally amazing to see and for me personally some glimmer of hope this world can be a better place to live

because deep down people do care about others

we really do live in the lucky country

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #36
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

This is a great post, I totally agree

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #37
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The funeral today was brilliant -brought a tear to my eye once or twice. It was funny, sad, and enlightening. Made me wish I had actually known P J Hughes.

RIP Phil.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
3 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #38
zilo
BANNED

They should ban the bouncer, the bowler should be aiming at the stumps not the batsman.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #39
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
They should ban the bouncer, the bowler should be aiming at the stumps not the batsman.
i don't think so. that would be a massive over reaction and a real shame for the game of cricket.

the idea is to get the batsmen out. that doesn't mean the only mode of dismissal is to have him 'bowled'.

the short ball is very effective at pushing the batter back in his crease.

this is nothing more than a freak accident. i hope australia and india discuss all and any issues regarding the short ball long before they take to the pitch so that they are all comfortable with whatever may unfold.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #40
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Man so many times over the years we would use the bouncer for tactical reasons. Usually because the batsman was good but you will always have times when the bowler will make a mistake and just pitch it short. You cant stop it and we shouldnt look at doing that.

Everything we do has risk, we just need to manage that but in this case we also live life accepting that the risk is worth the reward.

In this case a bloke loved his cricket.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #41
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a watch of the "Bodyline" series. Bouncer bouncer bouncer load the onside field then bamo, fire in a yorker and take out the stumps. It was introduced by douglas Jardine the english Captain to try to restrain Bradman and company - 1930's.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #42
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
It would be a sad day for cricket if this happened.

The bouncer is the perfect ball to take confidence out of batter. I'm a fast bowler, average 120-130 in club cricket and the bouncer is an extremely useful tool in my kit bag. A good bouncer bowled in the right spot and then followed up by a nice yorker or slower ball always brings wickets for me.

If an opening batsmen didn't fear a bouncer and got in the groove they easily run away from the fielding team.

Lets not beat around the bush, a bouncer is used to rattle the batsmen, no ifs buts or maybes. Should cricket ban it because of one freak accident? no way!
4 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #43
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Freaks a good word, imagine doing the maths on balls ever bowled vs deaths and it would surely be so tiny you wouldn't think twice about it.

If things like the UFC exist then I reckon the bouncer is pretty safe.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #44
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love to see the bowler give a warning before his first bouncer of a spell, or perhaps bowl it high and/or wide.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #45
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Freaks a good word, imagine doing the maths on balls ever bowled vs deaths and it would surely be so tiny you wouldn't think twice about it.

If things like the UFC exist then I reckon the bouncer is pretty safe.

Freak accident?

In deaths maybe, but how many injuries are there every year?

It makes cricket a thugs game instead of a game of skill when the intention is to injure the other player.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #46
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Freak accident?

In deaths maybe, but how many injuries are there every year?
how many injuries are year, not including muscle strains? i think you'd be able to count them on one hand even if you were missing half your fingers. there are very few injuries in cricket caused by being hit whilst batting. as mentioned earlier, if you calculate the number of balls bowled every year (540 a day in tests, not including extras) and the number of injuries, you would realise how extremely rare injuries of this nature are.

Quote:
It makes cricket a thugs game instead of a game of skill when the intention is to injure the other player.
no one is out there to intentionally injure another player. if this is what you think, then you haven't watched much. any time a batter gets hit, it doesn't matter who is playing who, the fielding side always ask if he'd ok. the bowler will normally make a gesture of apology etc.

as for skill, a decent short ball is skill. you want the batsman to smell the leather as it whistles past his nose
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #47
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
I'd love to see the bowler give a warning before his first bouncer of a spell, or perhaps bowl it high and/or wide.
seriously?

how about the batsman let the fielder know where he is going to hit the ball too.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #48
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think your being nice prydey. Unless people have played I think its hard to make a call by sitting back and watching.

Damn straight you sometimes bowl a bouncer to hurt the guy. Im not talking about death obviously (or anything overly serious), thats horrendous, but a smack in the ribs, hit the hands, something like that isnt a bad outcome.

Its meant to shake the guy a little because if your resorting to short stuff then he has your measure so you have to try something. Just changing the pitch is all part of bowling, slow or fast.

I think it shows how fragile we actually are, and that in reality everything we do has risk, crossing roads, painting on ladders etc etc.

A good example is attending motorsport, that can end badly too for just watching it but we accept it. I may chose to sit at a particular spot at a corner thinking im safe but you never know.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #49
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
I think your being nice prydey. Unless people have played I think its hard to make a call by sitting back and watching.

Damn straight you sometimes bowl a bouncer to hurt the guy. Im not talking about death obviously (or anything overly serious), thats horrendous, but a smack in the ribs, hit the hands, something like that isnt a bad outcome.

I guess in your world anything goes ?

NP If you were bowling to my team mate I guess i could always wack you with my bat as you ran past and bowled from the far end aye mate?

I mean anything goes right? Gotta shake the bowler a bit aye?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #50
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

VERY long bow there.

Not at all, the bouncer is 100% legal, so yes I do play to the rules.

With all due respect have you played before? Even when I was a junior I played against seniors who would employee the same tactics. Its part of the game.

Also its a very fine line between a bouncer being at the head/neck and into the ribs. Depends on pitch condition and a host of other things and even the best wont admit they can 100% claim to getting the trajectory spot on every time even if they are aiming for the general area.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 09-12-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #51
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

NP If you were bowling to my team mate I guess i could always wack you with my bat as you ran past and bowled from the far end aye mate?

Dude, it's part of the game. People with your sort of views are the reason this country is such a nanny state. Are you going to take a high powered engine out of an F1 car because it killed someone?

I'm yet to speak to any one of my mates that care about the bouncer being bowled to them because of what happened. As a number 11 batter i cop some serious bouncers due to what i dish out as an opening bowler. I've had 3 fingers broken and two broken noses. I was no more scared on Saturday then i was before this happened. It's part of the game, get on with it and enjoy it.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

As usual you've gone to extremes to gain attention.

Perhaps you should go to The Sports Bar, http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=306
I'm sure the people there would love to hear your take on how to play Rugby and Boxing without hurting the other side.

Now, back on topic please.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #53
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
VERY long bow there.

Not at all, the bouncer is 100% legal, so yes I do play to the rules.

With all due respect have you played before? Even when I was a junior I played against seniors who would employee the same tactics. Its part of the game.

Also its a very fine line between a bouncer being at the head/neck and into the ribs. Depends on pitch condition and a host of other things and even the best wont admit they can 100% claim to getting the trajectory spot on every time even if they are aiming for the general area.
Yeah I played, nothing seriously competitive.

40 years ago anyone who bowled "short" was considered incompetent.

At the end of the day, the objective was met.

The bowler sought to hit the batsman in the head and he succeeded.

He certainly wasn't aiming at the stumps and now he has to live with that.

Happen to see what happened to Clarke today?

Didn't get hit by the ball, just injured himself avoiding it.

How satisfying it must be to defeat a batsman by injuring or intimidating him.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #54
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Dude, it's part of the game. People with your sort of views are the reason this country is such a nanny state. Are you going to take a high powered engine out of an F1 car because it killed someone?

I'm yet to speak to any one of my mates that care about the bouncer being bowled to them because of what happened. As a number 11 batter i cop some serious bouncers due to what i dish out as an opening bowler. I've had 3 fingers broken and two broken noses. I was no more scared on Saturday then i was before this happened. It's part of the game, get on with it and enjoy it.

Sure mate, i'd be real impressed if my son came back from a cricket match with a broken nose and fingers cause some idiot who couldn't bowl him with any skill or accuracy decided to use intimidation as a tactic.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #55
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Sure mate, i'd be real impressed if my son came back from a cricket match with a broken nose and fingers cause some idiot who couldn't bowl him with any skill or accuracy decided to use intimidation as a tactic.
Haha they were bowled at me to hurt me and intimidate me, i'm 28, it's part of the sport and i'm fine with it. It does take skill to bowl a bouncer, I'm an A grade player so people that can't bowl don't make it to our league.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #56
prydey
Rob

i guess fielders shouldn't field at silly mid on or off, or bat pad either, and if they do, the batsman should not hit it in their direction in case they get hurt???

seriously zilo, we are talking national and international cricket.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #57
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
we are talking national and international cricket.
And therefore professionals and should be experts in their field.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #58
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah I played, nothing seriously competitive.
Obviously....... from your comments that is.

Last edited by Fordman1; 10-12-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #59
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
seriously?

how about the batsman let the fielder know where he is going to hit the ball too.
First ball, not every one. Just as a gesture, like the not-Mankadding-someone-first-time gesture when it was technically legal to do it, or calling a batsman back if you don't think the ball carried.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.

Last edited by In Focus; 11-12-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #60
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Yep he's gone. RIP
Closed Thread