Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Anyone else lost their licence driving thru the Clem7?

When the limit is reduced, does the speed camera have a few minute time delay before it fines people at the higher limit?
They can't fine you the instantly if you have not even seen the sign change.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #32
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
When the limit is reduced, does the speed camera have a few minute time delay before it fines people at the higher limit?
They can't fine you the instantly if you have not even seen the sign change.
The sad thing about Clem 7 is that you do spend an inordinate time scanning your speedometer.( I don't trust speed cams..why would I put blind faith in a cruise control ) I can see how someone can overlook a changed advisory sign. FWIW, I'd love to see an FOI as to how many official vehicles in the tunnel have had offenses nullified in the same circumstances..

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #33
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

I love the Clem 7 - it's like they built it just for me
close, you and the 17 other people that use it...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A point to consider.

Which ADR requires you a have a working radio in a motor vehicle?
Forget that...where in the road rules does it state you are forced legally to "turn on your radio"...if the damn speed is set at a certain speed, then have huge plain to see and unmistakable signs[/I] saying what it actually is.

Varying the speed on-the-run is just asking for trouble.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #35
StrokedXT
Banned

On behalf of sudsy you are evil and were going to murder everyone in the tunnel.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #36
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Anyone else lost their licence driving thru the Clem7?

Ive used the tunnel 4 times
three in a truck and once in the car
it might be $4 for a car but try $9 for a truck
and yes the radio works in the tunnel and just to play around I listened
to 97.3 FM I dont listen to kids radio MMM and the like
and also switched to 693 AM
and used the mobile phone and every thing worked
there was a voice came over on FM to warn me of a breakdown
and to slow down so a quick move to the right lane and to AM radio and the voice was there also so really there is no excuse
has any one noticed how hot and humid it is in the tunnel
one last thing from the south side via the freeway to Kingsford Smith drive
$4 or $9 and no trafic lights
thirteen trafic lights if you take the scenic route through the city
using the ICB still no trafic lights and zero Dollars
so whats the point and the return trip 3 trafic lights back to the SE freeway
so you do have a choice
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #37
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Forget that...where in the road rules does it state you are forced legally to "turn on your radio"...if the damn speed is set at a certain speed, then have huge plain to see and unmistakable signs[/I] saying what it actually is.

Varying the speed on-the-run is just asking for trouble.

The sign at the entrance to the tunnel is ADVISORY - if you choose NOT TO, this =YOUR OWN STUPIDITY. The radio is to NOTIFY you of INCIDENTS in the tunnel...

The 'huge unmistakable signs' are FLASHING with RED...a blind person can see them.

As for varying the speed on-the-run...you go from a 100 zone into 80 zones every day from town to town...or is that too hard as well?

If it's such a big issue - DON'T USE IT...very simple really.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #38
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
Yeah, 6 month driving disqualification; 8 points & 900 bux...
I guess we'll survive financially as a family, but, WTF?
We were driving at 84, speed limit suddenly droped to 40, and bang - we're done (camera clocked) for 44 over the 'limit'. Like we'd ploughed through a kiddie's crossing at twice the 40 km/h limit - much like your average suburban maniac killer.
My advice is just don't use the Clem7 tunnel - you can't get caught speeding in gridlock...
Lol topics like this just get you condescending answers from members with pink nametags with over 5000 posts telling you that you're somehow wrong and that you're an idiot and the law is always right without fail, it covers every situation with no shades of gray.
Old 25-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #39
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What? Why the hell does the speed limit drop to 40???

"Variable speed limits in the tunnel broadcast over peoples radios"...? What if you have the ipod going, or a CD? Does it override your stereo and broadcast the warning?

Get a group of people (shouldn't be hard...), all refuse to pay, take it to court. Usually I say "what's the point in fighting it, they're always right", but in this case, it's a problem they have openly admitted to knowing about.
So they can make money lol.
Old 25-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #40
GT-Pete
Breaking stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerj
They make you go 40km/h for entering a tunnel?

In Sydney I can't think of a tunnel that does that! Our harbour tunnel is still a fixed 80km/h no matter what. None of this variable rubbish and its an enclosed space thats the longest in Sydney (I think?)

Some of the other tunnels have a variable speed but I've rarely seen them used unless it bad weather or an accident.
Lane Cove Tunnel is reduced to 60 in heavy traffic and the cameras will get you at 60 too. I had a mate get caught out by that
GT-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Lol topics like this just get you condescending answers from members with pink nametags with over 5000 posts telling you that you're somehow wrong and that you're an idiot and the law is always right without fail, it covers every situation with no shades of gray.
I went through the Clem 7 recently, all speed signs clearly posted and duly obeyed....

Having just moved back to Brisbane after living in Gladstone for the past 25 years,
my view is that you have to keep vigilant beacuse there's usually lots going on
in roadwork areas, the reason speed cameras are in road work areas is because
people regularly refuse to slow down, they put workers lives at risk.

However highway roadworks is different, you get to drive what seems 2 kms at 60 kph
before stop/go because of some government safety regulation says so......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #42
Matty4
Banana

The Eastlink tunnels here in Melb do this too.
I was driving home from work one night at around 3.00am, not another vehicle on the road for ages, got to the tunnel and it had a 40km/h limit with the warning signs flashing for roadworks ahead. Slowed to 40 and as I travelled through I noticed that there was no roadworks, all 3 lanes were open and clear, not another vehicle in sight, etc etc.

Anyway, got pinged as I started to climb up the hill out of the tunnel for 48km/h in what would otherwise have been an 80km/h zone. My guess is there was roadworks earlier in the night but they had finished, packed up and gone home, but the numpty in the control room at Eastlink forgot to reset the limit back to the default 80km/h!!!!
Do you think Civic Compliance would have a bar of it........no way.
Old 26-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #43
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy

The sign at the entrance to the tunnel is ADVISORY - if you choose NOT TO, this =YOUR OWN STUPIDITY. The radio is to NOTIFY you of INCIDENTS in the tunnel...

The 'huge unmistakable signs' are FLASHING with RED...a blind person can see them.

As for varying the speed on-the-run...you go from a 100 zone into 80 zones every day from town to town...or is that too hard as well?

If it's such a big issue - DON'T USE IT...very simple really.

When the speed limit drops you get warning from appropriate road signage. You do not legally have to have a working radio in a motor vehicle.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #44
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't seen an answer yet as to whether there is a "lag" in time between when the cameras start booking people doing over 40 and when the last sign you saw changed to 40. What happens when you go past it and it changes after you pass?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #45
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Haven't seen an answer yet as to whether there is a "lag" in time between when the cameras start booking people doing over 40 and when the last sign you saw changed to 40. What happens when you go past it and it changes after you pass?
Yes there is.. I posted in here yesturday and said there was..

The simple fact of the matter is people think they can speed through roadworks and get away with it, then they get caught out in the Clem 7 and cry....

People very rarely slow down to 40 in roadworks on highways with speed limits above 70... Radio or no radio theres warning signs everywhere and flashing lights.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #46
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Yes there is.. I posted in here yesturday and said there was..

The simple fact of the matter is people think they can speed through roadworks and get away with it, then they get caught out in the Clem 7 and cry....

People very rarely slow down to 40 in roadworks on highways with speed limits above 70... Radio or no radio theres warning signs everywhere and flashing lights.
i agree, but how long is the delay? does anybody actually know?

i've only been through it a couple of times when up there on holiday, so can't recall how far apart these signs are.
here's a scenario for you. the speed limit is reduced to 40 just as you pass under the first speed sign. this means until you reach the next sign, you are doing 80 in a 40 zone, but completely unaware of it. if for some reason the camera's are activated after only a minute or so, is there a chance you could be caught out??

common sense says there needs to be a delay the same length of time it takes to travel the distance between the speed signs, to prevent the above scenario from happening. common sense, and govt, rarely go hand in hand, esp when there is the opportunity to make a buck or two.

i think the other thing is, you can't speed up until you come across the next speed zone, so if there is a breakdown, most people speed up once past the crippled vehicle. in this situation, you can't. not exactly helping traffic congestion.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #47
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Its pretty simple.. If the signs say 40 do 40..

Like all the morons on country highways that still do 80 through roadworks where its signed 40...

I was in the clem 7 on Friday and we had to drop back to 40 due to a broken down car, I did that and had some humpty dumpty sitting up my ****!!

40 means 40.. is it really that hard to comprehend?
No, it is not that hard to comprehend.

How would you feel, if you followed your own advice above, and still lost your licence?

Think about it for a minute - you know you've done everything right, and now your $900 in the hole, minus 8 points; and are unable to drive anywhere for half a year. And made to feel like a criminal.

Legal advice pretty much said the person fined has to prove the camera was incorrect, backed up by specific technical detail.

It's all very well coming up with self-righteous commentary about what to do and what not to do. But I am 100% sure the cameras in that tunnel were not working correctly during May. They probably still aren't, but I'm not willing to test them ever again.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #48
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

It's the same case on the F3 Freeway in NSW during the night that drops the speed limit from 110km/h to 40km/h or 20km/h...

Thankfully though the cops don't mind you slowing down or speeding up just as you get to the start/finish of the roadworks..
Old 26-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #49
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i agree, but how long is the delay? does anybody actually know?

i've only been through it a couple of times when up there on holiday, so can't recall how far apart these signs are.
here's a scenario for you. the speed limit is reduced to 40 just as you pass under the first speed sign. this means until you reach the next sign, you are doing 80 in a 40 zone, but completely unaware of it. if for some reason the camera's are activated after only a minute or so, is there a chance you could be caught out??

common sense says there needs to be a delay the same length of time it takes to travel the distance between the speed signs, to prevent the above scenario from happening. common sense, and govt, rarely go hand in hand, esp when there is the opportunity to make a buck or two.

i think the other thing is, you can't speed up until you come across the next speed zone, so if there is a breakdown, most people speed up once past the crippled vehicle. in this situation, you can't. not exactly helping traffic congestion.

If the speed signs are lit up like a christmas tree and the road is straight, it wouldn't matter. The rules state, you must be doing the signed speed limit, by the time you reach the speed limit sign. Not after. Same applies with road works and school zones. It also applies when the limit is raised. You may speed up to the riased limit, after the sign, not before.

IMA. I've never been through the tunnel and yes I sympathise with the OP. But it's difficult to get anywhere when it comes to the pen pushers.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #50
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
If the speed signs are lit up like a christmas tree and the road is straight, it wouldn't matter. The rules state, you must be doing the signed speed limit, by the time you reach the speed limit sign. Not after. Same applies with road works and school zones. It also applies when the limit is raised. You may speed up to the riased limit, after the sign, not before.

IMA. I've never been through the tunnel and yes I sympathise with the OP. But it's difficult to get anywhere when it comes to the pen pushers.
what i'm saying is the big xmas tree sign that you just went past said 80, but once you passed it, changed to 40. you would be unaware of this as you didn't see it change but technically you are now doing 80 in a 40 zone, and you will not know it is a 40 zone until you come toward the next speed sign, which just so happens it also has a camera fitted. ka ching, done doing 80 in a 40.

now apparently, there is a delay with the camera trigger when the speed zone changes, but how do you know if its working correctly.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #51
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

before gov decides to give the go ahead to these private road owners they want to know how much money in revenue they will be forecast to make they fudge the figures to get the contact build the road that no one uses, so if the end user doesn't want to go on the road then it would make sense to trick customers that do, into paying fines so they don't look like the owner of the road scammed the government in the hope to get another contract to build another road, whats rego for again?
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #52
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
cant get fined from behind the computer
Old 26-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #53
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just thinking, if its a private road then why have speed cameras at all, I mean there's no speed cameras at winton (yet).
Old 26-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #54
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
before gov decides to give the go ahead to these private road owners they want to know how much money in revenue they will be forecast to make they fudge the figures to get the contact build the road that no one uses, so if the end user doesn't want to go on the road then it would make sense to trick customers that do, into paying fines so they don't look like the owner of the road scammed the government in the hope to get another contract to build another road, whats rego for again?
Wha??? There is so much wrong with this post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #55
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The country's STUFFED!

Still, it's the best country in the world...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #56
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
what i'm saying is the big xmas tree sign that you just went past said 80, but once you passed it, changed to 40. you would be unaware of this as you didn't see it change but technically you are now doing 80 in a 40 zone, and you will not know it is a 40 zone until you come toward the next speed sign, which just so happens it also has a camera fitted. ka ching, done doing 80 in a 40.

now apparently, there is a delay with the camera trigger when the speed zone changes, but how do you know if its working correctly.

Is this road straight, between the speed signs?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 27-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #57
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Is this road straight, between the speed signs?
nope.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #58
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A point to consider.

Which ADR requires you a have a working radio in a motor vehicle?
actually, i think a radio is illegal, as it's a driver distraction.
Old 28-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #59
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
But then so are the huge billboards that litter the highway encouraging you to drive safely.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #60
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle

Oh no, SUDSZY is back with avengance