Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #31
sanjay

the NF leather is grey though, not black? really want to stick with the original black (perforated doesnt bother me that much).

otherwise good price :(
sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #32
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It can be black if you want it to be. I use a dye (have done a few wheels and gear knobs over the years), and you would be hard to notice the difference.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #33
sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
I paid $250 for my momo brand new from autotek.com.au
they're all listed in the oem section of the website. The also do some other designs that people on here have bought and say are more comfortable to use than the momo's (same price)
can you show me where on that website i can look at and order that model wheel (or the $200 one that JC talks about)? that website is damn near indecipherable to me. :(

thanks for the offer JC, i think i would like to stick with the perforated leather or one of these "cheap" momo wheels from autotek, pending i can work out where they are on the website
sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #34
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
That would be the BA GT style wheel. For $200, it's the best wheel for an AU, IMO; especially if you have big hands.
Have to agree. It's one of my better purchases. I thought the standard leather one was ok until I bought this one. Very, very comfortable steering wheel.

sanjay, I've never been able to find them on Autotek's web site. Maybe an email will flush them out?
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #35
whiskers
gone fishing

try this link for autotek http://www.autotekconcept.com/ go to the top click shop online and just go from there. I found this by just doing a bit of surfing on their site.

good luck
Whiskers
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #36
GK
Walking with God

Here's a "How To" that I did when I changed the wheel in my SR. It may help.

BTW, JC recommends changing the security type bolts for allen key items and if I ever change a wheel in either AU again, this is what I'll do.

Changing Steering Wheel
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=59

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #37
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers
try this link for autotek http://www.autotekconcept.com/ go to the top click shop online and just go from there. I found this by just doing a bit of surfing on their site.
Yeah, but if you look under "steering wheels" you'll find that they are all non-airbag type. Not much use to us.
I was chasing the BA GT type for my brother about 18 months ago and they only had non-airbag models then.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #38
Cooper69S

go to www.autotek.com.au (or autotekconcept.com - same thing)
in the top right corner is a link to 'oem'
then you can browse products -> steering wheels
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #39
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
go to www.autotek.com.au (or autotekconcept.com - same thing)
in the top right corner is a link to 'oem'
then you can browse products -> steering wheels
Brilliant! It still shows it there as well ;)
Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 AM   #40
sanjay

i can browse products then steering wheels but i cant see prices for them nor can i see any links to order one. im not that stupid guys :p
Old 10-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #41
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay
i can browse products then steering wheels but i cant see prices for them nor can i see any links to order one. im not that stupid guys :p
No, there aren't any prices listed. An email or ph call should set you straight.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #42
sanjay

got a response from them, all styles are $350.

sod that. how did you guys get it for $200 - $250? would love a GT style chunky wheel but it aint worth that much to me.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #43
ronwest

Quote:
got a response from them, all styles are $350.

sod that. how did you guys get it for $200 - $250? would love a GT style chunky wheel but it aint worth that much to me.
Got mine brand new off ebay for $100.
Was a one off from a private seller though...
Old 18-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #44
sanjay

im pretty stoked

managed to get a brand new (!) AU charcoal leather perforated XR series wheel from ford spares in lonsdale for $145, and my god it looks and feels so much better than the 200,000km old wheel (i thought the shiny leather was normal till i saw the new one! :P)

and this is before installing it - i went to repco but they said that i should get the relevant part numbers for the bits i need as they may need to order them in.

i figure that the 5 sided star bit will cost like $30 so if my mechanic can install it cheaply tomorrow (while ive got it booked in to get the handbrake adjusted again and brakes upgraded) then i will just go down that route.

also got to take my car down the southern expressway, 100kmph is nice and smooth in a falcon (better than the juddery, shaky experience in my U13 bluebird!)
Old 18-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #45
T-Pak Addict
Jim

got my set from bunnings I think (might have been supacheap) for $15

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #46
sanjay

mechanic wouldnt do it, some soot about not being allowed to funk with the airbag.

AU Falcon 99, can you give me some more details on the set you bought that had the right bit? maybe a photo so i can match it up in store? if its "super works" brand then chances are it came from supercheap.

can someone tell me the repco/supercheap stock codes for both the 5 sided secure torx bit to remove the two side bolts, and what the hell do i use to get rid of the big bolt in the middle of the wheel behind the airbag? the kind man at repco let me go to town in their glass cabinet taking out bits and testing them to see if they fit but none did...after which i realised they were all 6 sided bits! :p

love the word filter :p
Old 19-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #47
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
mechanic wouldnt do it, some soot about not being allowed to funk with the airbag.

AU Falcon 99, can you give me some more details on the set you bought that had the right bit? maybe a photo so i can match it up in store? if its "super works" brand then chances are it came from supercheap.

can someone tell me the repco/supercheap stock codes for both the 5 sided secure torx bit to remove the two side bolts, and what the hell do i use to get rid of the big bolt in the middle of the wheel behind the airbag? the kind man at repco let me go to town in their glass cabinet taking out bits and testing them to see if they fit but none did...after which i realised they were all 6 sided bits! :p

dont need to undo big bolt in middle, wheel will just pull off
Old 19-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #48
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
Bits required to remove the air bag are sold at Repco.
ABW part no.70930
For those that missed it on the first page
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #49
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I can't remember what bit I used for the centre bolt (which does need to be removed so the wheel can just simply pull off) I had a set of bits I got from K-mart for $15, hase around 100 bits in it (but no 5 points).
Old 19-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #50
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
I can't remember what bit I used for the centre bolt (which does need to be removed so the wheel can just simply pull off) I had a set of bits I got from K-mart for $15, hase around 100 bits in it (but no 5 points).
been a long time since i did one so i will go with your answer! :
Old 19-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #51
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
been a long time since i did one so i will go with your answer! :
It makes sence, otherwise the wheel would come of when driving
Old 19-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #52
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, it is ment to just slip off, but mine was stuck good, I menaged to destroy 3 steering wheel pullers and bend the stock wheel in half before it came off.
Old 20-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #53
sanjay

oh bloody hell. not looking forward to this then. :(
Old 20-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #54
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Folow GK's method and you will be right:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=59

The only addition to that guide will be don't fully remove the center T-50 bolt. Undo it so that it sits out from the wheel, but isn't removed. That way it won't hit you in the face when it comes off.

Apart from that, wiggle it side to side, forwards, backwards, any way you can think of and it will eventualy come free.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #55
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:

its a 3/8 socket type set, I will try and get a photo in the morning.

it has a variety of sizes from real small to big enough to to the seat bolts (which is why I bought them) 10 different sockets I think

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #56
sanjay

and it included the correct sized, 5-point star secure torx bit that you required? bizzare!
Old 20-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #57
5L
[ 5L ]

is there a pic of this gt steering wheel, i tried to find it but couldnt see it
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #58
sanjay

oh for s sake.

NOWHERE i went (went to motor traders, coventry fasteners, repco, bunnings) has the 5 headed torx bit, repco said i had to order it in a pack of five of them for $40 ( that) and if i wanted the bit by itself itd be $30 ( that).

coventry fasteners took my number and said if they could get it itd be about $10.

motor traders had the ABW kit (70930) but wanted $40 for it. I WANT ONE BIT, i dont want to pay that bloody much for something im going to use ONCE.

i dont really want to chip apart a screwdriver. can someone please tell me where to get the correct bit for cheap :(

got the T50 6 sided torx bit from repco for $9, which was fine
Old 26-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #59
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
oh for s sake.

NOWHERE i went (went to motor traders, coventry fasteners, repco, bunnings) has the 5 headed torx bit, repco said i had to order it in a pack of five of them for $40 ( that) and if i wanted the bit by itself itd be $30 ( that).

coventry fasteners took my number and said if they could get it itd be about $10.

motor traders had the ABW kit (70930) but wanted $40 for it. I WANT ONE BIT, i dont want to pay that bloody much for something im going to use ONCE.

i dont really want to chip apart a screwdriver. can someone please tell me where to get the correct bit for cheap :(

got the T50 6 sided torx bit from repco for $9, which was fine
Seriously, for all the trouble you're having getting the 5 sided torx bits, go and buy a $2 screwdriver, and cut a notch in it - it WILL work on the airbag screws. Just apply slow, even pressure in a counter clockwise direction, and the bolts will budge. If the first screwdriver brakes, either trim it and renotch it, or buy another $2 one and try again.

You can replace these bolts with 15mm or 25mm long 6mm metric threaded allen key head bolts - available at bunnings for around $2.50 for 3 or 4 in a pack. These are not as secure as the torx bits, but harder for a thief to get out than a standard bolt (as found in the EF/ELs).

The big bolt is a T-50 6 sided torx bit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #60
sanjay

good, i got the right bit for the big bolt (see last line)

ive heard about this notch in the screwdriver but i have no freaking idea how im meant to do that unless i have a dremel or something (which i dont, and dont want to spend even more money on this freaking venture) :(