Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #31
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default Re: The letdown of iPhone 5

Just what people had hoped for.

I must admit, since Windows tweaked Windows Phone 7 big time this week with the Mango release, I am now extremely happy with my HTC Mozart , which I could not have said 6 months ago when it was first released

The OS is great, phone is great, only thing lacking is an online music store for Australia (Zune has US but not Australia) which is no major issue if your into "borrowed" music as opposed to purchased music.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #32
JJ500
Starter Motor

As far as i know apple never said it was going to be the launch of the iphone 5, people just assumed that as the iphone 4 has been out for a while and the hype of apple setting a press conference that it would be.
JJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #33
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Everyone knew there would be no iphone 5
just look at the trend... 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s...

Iphone 5 was just hype. some tech sites found cases labelled iphone 5 in china and offf it went not realising how many fake iphones come out of that country.

Persinally im happy with my s2
Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #34
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
I actually wanted a HTC Desire HD at first, after playing with it I got bored with the interface and phone within 10 mins also noticed the battery fall 15% within that short span of time, after researching and seeing the unhappy android fans I decided to stick with the Iphone4. Couldn't be happier.
Battery life is shocking on these, not even any 'battery saver' apps help either. Had various system failures as well that I report to HTC simply because they can pick up their act and make better phones from it.

Waiting for the range of 4G phones to hit the market and decide from there if I want to upgrade when my contract comes up and I make the switch to Telstra.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #35
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Obsession with iPhones??

Tools need the newest Tools...

That is all...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #36
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Battery life is shocking on these, not even any 'battery saver' apps help either. Had various system failures as well that I report to HTC simply because they can pick up their act and make better phones from it.

Waiting for the range of 4G phones to hit the market and decide from there if I want to upgrade when my contract comes up and I make the switch to Telstra.
My desire HD has been fantastic, battery life isn't good if you're *using* it heavily.
but it'll easily last a number of days if i'm only taking the odd call and sms.

anyone thinking the iPhone 4S is a let down was just hyping it up too much.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #37
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im pretty stoked with me SGS2. Had the HTC Desire Z before. That phone was good, but the SGS2 was twice as fast, thinner, lighter, was good on the power and the screen was more superior. I cannot compare it to the iphone 4 as I haven't owned one, but Im sure the iphone 4s will be just as good. For me, as long as the phone sync'd my emails, was easy to navigate and didn't restrict me to bluetooth, had an excellent camera on both sides of the phone, flash, etc, I'm happy.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
Everyone I speak to don't even know the name of any Samsung phones let alone wanting one. lol. Only ones I see using them are the people who spoonk over a slightly faster processor or 0.1 of a 10th faster ram. Things most people don't even care about.

Apple have been an innovative leader for years. If Samsung where the leader, as you so put it,I you would see a Galaxy in everyone hands, but I don't.
Perhaps you need to look away from your iPhone for a moment and see the rise of the Galaxy - seen many in users hands, including my own. It's the #1 Android phone in terms of market share by quite a margin. Why do you think Apple has its knickers in a twist over Samsung? Because it's losing significant market share in the phone and tablet space to them. It's more than a slightly faster processor.. also has double the memory. Removable battery. Removable storage. Not tied down to an ecosystem - well, unless you want to void warranty.

Apple haven't been the innovative leader for a long time, they're the litigation leader as they can't compete with innovation. The 3G and iPad were their innovation peak, now they just bring out handsets and tablets that are middle of the road specwise and their OS updates provide functionality that have been available elsewhere for years - yet label them revolutionary.

Funny thing is, people will still queue overnight to ditch their iPhone4's for a 4S. Their products may be well behind the curve, clearly their marketing isn't.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #39
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm looking to change my 3GS in the next couple of weeks and can't wait to get rid of the iPhone, I'm over iTunes and how unuserfriendly it is and I'm over the no proper bluetooth. The Mrs is on her third iPhone 4 in 18 months as the other two just died, lucky she had warranty, at least the 3GS never did that. The only good thing about the iPhone is the iPod function.

Will be getting a SGII, hopefully I won't regret it.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #40
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
I'm looking to change my 3GS in the next couple of weeks and can't wait to get rid of the iPhone, I'm over iTunes and how unuserfriendly it is and I'm over the no proper bluetooth. The Mrs is on her third iPhone 4 in 18 months as the other two just died, lucky she had warranty, at least the 3GS never did that. The only good thing about the iPhone is the iPod function.

Will be getting a SGII, hopefully I won't regret it.
You wont regret it. Android is so much more versatile.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #41
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish the S2 wasn't so big or I would of already bought one
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #42
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I love my SGS2. It has all the stuff I like having on a phone and I like the idea that I can just put stuff on it whenever I want without having to always use a special program. (like iPhone users have to do).

I also like that I can change the battery if I need to or add a larger size one to it. It's also good to have the option of larger memory with the addition of a micro SD card.

I guess it all comes down to personal choice. People should be make their decisions based on what needs etc they have and what device suits those needs.
The popularity contest thing is getting old. Unfortunately, there will always be people out there getting something because it's marketed differently or seems more cool and popular.. eg.. iPhone/Commodore.

That is all.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #43
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
I wish the S2 wasn't so big or I would of already bought one
LG optimus 2x? well. same size actually, just smaller screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon
I also like that I can change the battery if I need to or add a larger size one to it. It's also good to have the option of larger memory with the addition of a micro SD card.
This is why I sold my iPhone, ability to change out batteries. Amazing for camping or whatever when you don't have access to charge.
$3 batteries for the win.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #44
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Iv had my Iphone4 for over a year now, and seriously have no real complaints at all.
This was my first Apple product ever, and after hearing all sorts of horror stories about the 3's 3gs' etc and their Ipods, made me not particularly much of an Apple fan. I dont buy fancy phones just for the sake of it. They need to be functional and do their job well and Iv had smartphones since the days of the 7650.

I upgraded from an Imate Jas Jam which was a great bit of kit for its time.. Had that for just over 3 years until the reception died in it.. The Iphone hasnt given me one ounce of trouble to date either..

Itunes isnt the best program, but you get used to it, and I dont like the restrictions on customising tones, themes etc without jailbreaking it. Things that the other brands do standard, but what I do like is the Iphone 4 makes and receive calls well, does sms and mms etc easily, the email side of its straight forward, theres tunns of apps to suit just about anything and the battery does a pretty good job considering the complexity of the handset.. But most of all I like the inbuilt Ipod. When I go out to excersise every day, I only need to take the phone with me and the headphones to listen to my music, not that and another device..

To be totally honest, Im happy with my I4, it does what I need well enough and I wont be upgrading unless mine dies, breaks, gets lost or stolen or Vodafone offers me an early upgrade.. Will I look at the later androids or stay Iphone?? I will prolly stay with the Iphone..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #45
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

whats wrong with itunes?
ive never had a problem with it.

and the best thing about the iphone is if you dont want it dont buy it but think very carefully if you are getting a htc. worst phone ever. ive been through 5 in 18 months and the other 10 blokes at work are all on atleast there 3rd
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only reason the iPhone actually sells because its the keeping up with the jones' thing for Generation Y, I've got a HTC HD2, running Android, sure its probably not as good as the iPhone 4 but i got it before that was out, and of course, 4.3" screen, I don't think I could go back to anything smaller. Got it running Android too

Survived a drop on my driveway fine, although I damaged the screen when I got it, put a screen protector on it, but it was crappy, couldn't press anything on the phone without punching the thing just about, so I got a bright spot on the screen, lol.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #47
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I've got a HTC HD2, running Android, sure its probably not as good as the iPhone 4 but i got it before that .
mate you got a good one. its the ones weve been having so many problems with
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #48
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I love my android - I can basically turn my phone into what I want, not what Apple is going to give me...I'd never buy an apple for that exact reason. The other half had the iphone, worked a treat, until you wanted to listen to music and receive phone calls in the FG, then it crapped itself and died...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
mate you got a good one. its the ones weve been having so many problems with
Yours aren't running Windows Mobile 6.5 are they? Mine used to have that until I fixed it up with changing it to Android.

With Windows Mobile, would randomly freeze, lag up, drain its battery down to critical in less than 2 hours with slight usage etc.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #50
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

that could be the problem. cant change to andriod as we get all our jobs sent through the windows system.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
that could be the problem. cant change to andriod as we get all our jobs sent through the windows system.
Bastards, maybe Windows Mobile 7 has fixed all the issues? Its on the newer HD7, I was thinking about it on the HD2, but I went Android.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #52
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Meh....

Ive tried stacks of phones. Iphone gets my vote because it is the most intuitive to use. I dont care if phone A is faster than Phone B if its a PITA to use.

Biggest mistake that apple can make is to try and compete with the other phones on the market in terms of screen size and how much crap you can pack on the home screen......at the end of the day it comes down to user interface , ease of use , and intuitive functionality.

Hopefully the iphone 4s enhances the user experience and doesnt just become an overly complex device that detracts from its origins.

Hi tech doesnt always mean biggest fastest more colours blah blah ... Its more to do with ease of intended function..... Apple are still at the foredrpnt here imho

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #53
nstg8a

pretty much every semi decent phone on the market now has a mp3 player now, the ipod side of the iphone really offers nothing that any other phone cant do.

as i said earlier, to me, its the accessory side where apple blitz the rest.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #54
AMGC63
Banned

If they fix the faulty home button problem and terrible battery life ill upgrade, otherwise no point. IPhone 4 is perfect if they fix those 2 issues.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #55
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol ford needs apples marketing team
Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #56
Paxton
Cobblers!

My 3GS is stuffed. I've pre-registered with Vodafone.

I was always going to get the 'next' iPhone, regardless. Those that were expecting a whole new phone should have looked at history, and seen that after the 3G, we got the 3GS, then the 4. 4S was just a natural progression.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #57
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
pretty much every semi decent phone on the market now has a mp3 player now, the ipod side of the iphone really offers nothing that any other phone cant do.

as i said earlier, to me, its the accessory side where apple blitz the rest.
The ipod side of it is better than any mp3 player..just about every car has full ipod connectivity these days, you can go anywhere in the world without your charger and still be able to charge your phone (really who doesn't have an ipod cable lying around?) There are quite a few benefits to the iphone but to say its innovative now is a bit rich, other phone companys are jumping ahead while Apple do the bare minimum.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #58
HVAC PRO

The big announcement to me is Siri the personal assistant feature i know people will say its voice control my android has it its been around for ages... no your wrong this is more than voice control if you know anything about siri and its development even before apple bought them you will know this is pure AI genius and will only get better..if you have never seen it before you need to watch some of the apple videos or the demo in there keynote it looks like its going to be great..I'm still curious how it will handle our aussie accent but they say it will.
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #59
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv223
The big announcement to me is Siri the personal assistant feature i know people will say its voice control my android has it its been around for ages... no your wrong this is more than voice control if you know anything about siri and its development even before apple bought them you will know this is pure AI genius and will only get better
I've got the same crap installed on my Android. Can schedule appointments, ask it tomorrows forecast, stock analysis, directions, language translation, dictate SMS. I used it once and thought, oh.. neat. Never used it again. It's a gimmick.

Here's the surprise - unlike being able to run any of those services on any Android phone, if you want to do it on iOS, you need the 4S. I know I was shocked at that revelation.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #60
HVAC PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I've got the same crap installed on my Android. Can schedule appointments, ask it tomorrows forecast, stock analysis, directions, language translation, dictate SMS. I used it once and thought, oh.. neat. Never used it again. It's a gimmick.

Here's the surprise - unlike being able to run any of those services on any Android phone, if you want to do it on iOS, you need the 4S. I know I was shocked at that revelation.
really i watched the keynote and got the impression it came with ios5 that sucks i was happy to stick with iPhone4 because of all the new features in ios5 like notifications finally and being able to take a photo with the volume button you know the simple things that apple have forgotten since the first iPhone but the siri feature seemed like a real bonus...maybe not
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post