Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #31
rvsm
Banned

Default Re: Who has flown Emirites Airlines???

seems like your a traitor to your national airline no wonder why it is going down hill in international and as for being hesitant in flying Qantas that's a load of crap we are the safest and best trained in all facets of the aviation industry. world leaders in aircraft maintenance. its hard to compete when people like you don't support your national airline.
rvsm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #32
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsm
seems like your a traitor to your national airline no wonder why it is going down hill in international and as for being hesitant in flying Qantas that's a load of crap we are the safest and best trained in all facets of the aviation industry. world leaders in aircraft maintenance. its hard to compete when people like you don't support your national airline.

who are you actually talking to?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #33
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsm
Sadly, I must be a traitor too.

I wouldn't fly QANTAS either
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #34
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Have Flown Emirates heaps as they do a good cheap flight to New Zealand ,Having a girlfriend from NZ we have flown Emirates a few times and have no complaints Entertainment good seats good the only thing i could pick is that they do go slow when you want to have a beer and another and so on >but thats ok ,Hosties are good on the eye and very Helpful as stated earlier they do put there head gear on for take off and landing Rate them higher than QANTAS

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #35
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
"This whole question NEVER fails to amaze me . I place an inordinately greater emphasis on the guy at the blunt end driving it . Who gives a flying XXXX what the inflight service is like in the case of an emergency and its not like BA or Qantas throw your food at you in a bucket . I ONLY fly B.A. , American , United or Qantas because the odds are you have either an ex R.A.F. , U.S.A.F or R.A.A.F. pilot driving the thing not the son a a rich sheik who decides on a whim he wants to be an airline pilot this week . Want to see what these camel jockeys are like "

good to see your true colours coming out.

go on, tell us what you really think.....

http://www.theemiratesgroup.com/engl...-training.aspx

http://www.cae.com/en/aviation.training/tc.dubai.asp

http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/...tio_Pilot.aspx

but of course, that all amounts to nothing if your not the son of some rich dude in robes, and have the ability to artificially inseminate camels.

as for the rest of what you wrote, thats no different to any other carriers issues. they all have issues at one point or another.

but because they don't ride camels, that makes them safer.
Because they are ex R.A.F. , U.S.A.F, or R.A.A.F and at some stage of their careers most probably flew fast jets is what makes them safer . And enlighten me , just when was the last time a B.A . , United , American or Qantas crew wrote off a brand new state of the art and to anyone with a modicum of intellegence fool proof jet with their sheer stupidity and ineptitude .
Old 20-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Because they are ex R.A.F. , U.S.A.F, or R.A.A.F and at some stage of their careers most probably flew fast jets is what makes them safer . And enlighten me , just when was the last time a B.A . , United , American or Qantas crew wrote off a brand new state of the art and to anyone with a modicum of intellegence fool proof jet with their sheer stupidity and ineptitude .
Ohhh... is that right?

The brother of one of my groomsmen was a Qantas pilot and he didn't fly fighters prior...

There is a long list of accidents and near misses for all carriers... to say one is better than the other is hard when human intervention is what fixes and flys a plane...

A Jetstar plane almost landed with no wheels down yesterday because he was bloody fooling around on his mobile phone FFS....

Who owns Jetstar, or is a shareholder again??

And before you try the 'They are separate' line I have found many references with them mentioned together... this one was interesting:

Quote:
Jetstar pilots sent back to school after flying too low on approach

This is the first Qantas/Jetstar incident for a while -- and it was NOT due to poor maintenance, unlike most previous incidents. Marvellous how the maintenance has improved now that the airline's boss has made it clear that he is prepared to shut down the airline. That the previous incidents were deliberate sabotage by unionized maintenance personnel certainly suggests itself in the circumstances

TWO Jetstar pilots have been ordered into remedial training after a misunderstanding between them caused their Airbus A320 to descend within 51m of the ground well short of Melbourne Airport.
Perhaps a stint in the army would have done them some good as well??

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #37
predator
Starter Motor

"Traitor" to Australia because you fly another international airline, that's a new one...
predator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #38
351capri
windsorman

flew emirates to dubai then onto rome 2007 ,could not fault the food, service, or the in flight entertainment, awsome, make sure you check out the inflight cameras when decsending for landing, great view! hope you and the mrs have a great trip.
Old 23-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
Till_Lind
E-series fan

I've flown a few airlines, but Etihad and Emirates quite a few times. Both good airlines, but Emirates has the edge with food, their fleet, service and the onboard entertainment (ICE).
Old 23-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #40
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I just spoke to my friend again, Emirates also employ ex air force pilots from around the world.

As she was in HR, she actually interviewed pilots and did everything except their technical tests. Interestingly, she said ex air force were not necessarily more desirable than other applicants. What she looked for was very much on the psyche side, cocky ex A/F pilots were not suitable but the discipline instilled whilst serving in the military was desirable. Geeky, level headed people are highly regarded, these people tended to make good pilots as they have a passion for flying, quite often flying in their leisure time too.

On the technical side, they of course need to be capable but she also found that some required 'beating' the previous training out of them, this typically applied to experienced pilots from other airlines/Air Force rather than grads trained by the company.

That Etihad incident you mentioned doesn't have anything to do with Emirates and in fact, was found to be the fault of an Airbus employee. Here's the official French report on the incident (The BEA = Investigation/Analysis Safety of Civil Aviation)
http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2007/f-cj...f-cj071115.pdf

It's in French but it essentially says there was 3 people in the cockpit, 2 Airbus employees and one observer from Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies (engaged by Etihad to inspect the aircraft).

They where testing an engine leak picked up by the ADAT observers. Aircraft was not chocked then all 4 engines engines ran up to full thrust, both of which are incorrect procedure and apparently frequently ignored by Airbus employees. They should have chocked the plan and ran 2 engines only (the faulty one and it's counterpart on the other side).

The Airbus tech ran the engines up and it was the ADAT observer in the cockpit that alerted the Airbus tech of movement, he slapped foot brakes on and released park brakes, but left the thing at full throttle. The other Airbus tech eventually pulled the throttles back.

That Airbus employee had something like 9 years experience as a pilot too.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post