Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #31
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I used to also work on the returns desk at a department store.

Ask for a shocking customer story and I have hours worth of horror stories.
I have been yelled at, swiped at (luckily not actually hit), threatened (to jump over counter and bash me and to stalk me on the way home) photographed (by a crazy person who thought i was working too slow, i was helping the customer in front of her and she waited for max 3 minutes) talked down to (on a daily basis) and been called so many names...and all for what? $15 an hour while i worked my *** off doing the jobs of 2 people and following the policy and procedures of the company.

Is that my incompetence? No. It is rude, self absorbed customers and 'management' who looks for ways to cost cut while you try to tell them that one person alone can not do that job.

Do i hate it when i cannot get service? sure i do. But 'they' are people not machines. I cut people some slack because i know that i have been apathetic to regular customers (not nice ones, just 'normal') in the past after episodes where i have just been yelled at, called an idiot, told to get a better job, had to answer phonecalls, make PA calls, sell cigarettes, gift cards and phone cards, do paperwork and try to get help from other staff who take 5 minutes to answer a call because, they too, are run off their feet (ALL OF THIS AT THE ONE TIME).

Im not saying there are excuses for everything, but do we need a thread to ***** and moan about shop assistants? If you want it to change complain to the company management.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #32
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
do we need a thread to ***** and moan about shop assistants? If you want it to change complain to the company management.
Well I somehow think this thread may have started as a whinge about shop assistants etc but has also turned it around several times on those impatient, rude, horrible customers that you would prefer to throttle than serve :

So it isn't a bad thread as it is not one sided :dr_Evil:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #33
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

What do you guys expect? Anyone with decent work ethic and skills isnt going to working in retail well not for long anyway. IMA its annoying going into a spare parts store asking for a simple part and after looking through several books he tells you its going to cost 2 times what its worth.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #34
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVL40L
What do you guys expect? Anyone with decent work ethic and skills isnt going to working in retail well not for long anyway.
Well I think you have just managed to offend many on this forum.... I have friends that have worked for the same retail store for 15 odd years.. I can absolutely 100% say they have an excellent work ethic and their skills are certainly not lacking... The reason they are still working for the same place is called LOYALTY and the fact they really enjoy their job...

fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #35
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Dont be offended by my harsh view. Just saying give them a break. Retail is a great stepping stone. I'd love to work at Supercheap Auto beacause I have a passion for that stuff. Its just the people with a lack of enthusiasm that bring the bar down. Sorry to those offended :
Old 05-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #36
warbo
Starter Motor

Quote:
What do you guys expect? Anyone with decent work ethic and skills isnt going to working in retail well not for long anyway.
Whoa, back up I have worked retail for 13 years now and I have a great work ethic and also am university educated! Not all retail is standing behind a counter and ringing things up on a register!

I have 50 people that work for me and manage a department that turns over many millions of dollars a year, and make a good living out of it also. Just think about it for a minute before you go shooting your mouth off.
warbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #37
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Im not saying there are excuses for everything, but do we need a thread to ***** and moan about shop assistants? If you want it to change complain to the company management.
You've bitched and moaned twice, now why tell everyone else to stop bitching and moaning? How does that work?

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #38
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Now now, Cant you both settle this with a pillow fight?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #39
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
I used to also work on the returns desk at a department store.

Ask for a shocking customer story and I have hours worth of horror stories.
I have been yelled at, swiped at (luckily not actually hit), threatened (to jump over counter and bash me and to stalk me on the way home) photographed (by a crazy person who thought i was working too slow, i was helping the customer in front of her and she waited for max 3 minutes) talked down to (on a daily basis) and been called so many names...and all for what? $15 an hour while i worked my *** off doing the jobs of 2 people and following the policy and procedures of the company.

Is that my incompetence? No. It is rude, self absorbed customers and 'management' who looks for ways to cost cut while you try to tell them that one person alone can not do that job.

Do i hate it when i cannot get service? sure i do. But 'they' are people not machines. I cut people some slack because i know that i have been apathetic to regular customers (not nice ones, just 'normal') in the past after episodes where i have just been yelled at, called an idiot, told to get a better job, had to answer phonecalls, make PA calls, sell cigarettes, gift cards and phone cards, do paperwork and try to get help from other staff who take 5 minutes to answer a call because, they too, are run off their feet (ALL OF THIS AT THE ONE TIME).

Bunnings by any chance?

I worked there for 2 years....

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #40
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

i work in a bottle shop, in the dodgiest part of town, i get to put up with threats, constant abuse, winging, bitching and moaning, but if some one talks to me like crap i will give it back. My boss tells me not to let anyone walk over you. so if someone dosent know their product/supplier etc... i dont get shitty, just wait for them to sort it out, we were all trainees once...but if they are being intentionally rude, i'll do the same to them, you get what you give i think....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #41
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

What annoys me about retail shops is when a young person serves me, similar age to me (18-24), Customer service goes out the window, sometimes they won't even greet you. Probably because they are trying to look cool or something by acting like they don't give a ****, yet if it was my old man they would ask how his day is and everything.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #42
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8GRL
You've bitched and moaned twice, now why tell everyone else to stop bitching and moaning? How does that work?
So you are moaning about the fact that i was having a b***ch...

I was actually presenting the other side of the story...then posing the question that there need not be a thread purely about having a go at shop assistants.

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #43
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

you guys just go to the wrong sort of stores if you all have this going on REGULARLY.

we all have horror stories and also praise to be spread, but i think if you shop at maccas/supercheap/$2 shops n harveys/jb(some exceptions to some HN/JB staff, but rare as) well then you know what your getting yourself into and know in the back of your head they might be busy or in chance get some ****house service.

problem is all sorts of stores have good/bad staff which are stand out in either of the fields.
management has a LOT to do with it and theres nothing worse than getting hammered by managers from one side then to get hammered by customers.

next time any of you step into a store, think of this; salespeople are also customers, they know what you want and how you want it, as on their day off, the roll is reversed!

think about it next time your shopping/working, what goes around seriously does come around
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #44
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Now now, Cant you both settle this with a pillow fight?
:
Hmmm...
Suffocation vs some nasty posts trying to either humiliate or anger me.

I would prefer to live.

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #45
Sapper
Back to the AU

I'm a merchandiser for a bakery company and my work is in supermarkets. Often, when i'm working with bread, peopel come up to me asking about milk or fertiliser or dvd's etc when i'm in a DIFFERENT uniform to everyone else in the store. Sometimes i'm in other stores, like Myers or EB Games for instance, and people come up to me asking stuff while i'm wearing the company uniform for my bakery. They can't even be bothered to read the logo on the front of my shirt, and yet they're happy to give me a dirty look when i tell them i don't know the answer to their question!
For instance, today, I had a guy point to a loaf without reading its label and ask where that exact loaf he pointed to was kept!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #46
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

now guy's and gal's when i started this thread i realy did not think it would start a ***** fight as to who was right or wrong and i sincerly apologies to all who are getting offended but realy all my concern was why cant you just go in to a retail store and get the service that one requires all i did was ask the guy for some advice and he could not give it to me and i thought that it was a bit poor that he could not give it to me in summary why bother asking i suppose i will just have to work it out myself or go to an expert who can tell me what i can use
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #47
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
:
Hmmm...
Suffocation vs some nasty posts trying to either humiliate or anger me.

I would prefer to live.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #48
Falchoon

I hate it when you go into a shop (doesn't matter if it's car parts or whitegoods or anything) and you are asking the shop assistant for more information about the product and all they do is read stuff off the pack or attached tag. I can read too.

I used to work at a wrecker and some customers come in and ask for X part. You say "I have one on a car still up the back, if you would like to wait 5 minutes I can pull it off for you". The say yes, so you pull it off and hand it to the customer and say "that will be $10 please" and they say "I didn't bring any money". Do they think we are going to give them the part for free?
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #49
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I happen to manage an Electrical Browngoods store with about 40 staff... we turn over in excess of $20 million per year, , and I am pleased to say that I am confident that we give good service and make sure people get served as much as possible.

One of the most important things I make sure of , is that every customer at least gets acknowledged when they are in the store.

We are lucky enough to ensure that there are enough salespeople on the floor at the right time to serve the many customers...

One thing we dont like is people who
A. Whinge about getting served too quick, , and then
B. the other side is the people who whinge about not getting served.

People also whine about not getting top class professional serivce, when they are looking at products under $50..... ( ie they want a $30 per hour salesperson to point out the DVD-R for them, and then ask dumb questions )

We are all customers , here is the top list of moron customer quotes.

" whats ya best price" ( when the item is $36 ), , ha ha , that comment might get some better deal when you are actually spending money.....

" whats ya best cash price " then at the register they pull out a visa card.....

"you guys are making heaps on this stuff, , I know how much profit there is "

" whats the difference between plasma and lcd"

" I've been waiting here half an hour ", , I reply that I am shocked that they had to wait that long, and maybe we should check the camera system to see if it was that long... ( 99% of the time it is UNDER 5 minutes )

" harveys have it cheaper " , , ( when it is an EXCLUSIVE product to us )

" If you install it for free, I will buy it "

" can you get your fitter to chuck it in the dash " ( I would like to get the guys to stand outside the car and "chuck" the head unit at the dashboard of the VR HSV SS HRT CLUBBIE

" do you have top gun ( or other movie ) and we say have you checked alphabetical, and they say "where is it" and we say it starts with a "T", so it will be after "S"

They ring up and say, can you stay open , I am on my way and want to buy a printer ink.... and they get the 5hits when we say NO...

"the opposition will deliver and install the plasma for free" , , , , , , , ,well why are you here ? ?

Do you sell toasters, , , , and we say "no", , and they say "so you dont have any then"

for car audio - they say " NO ONE DRIVES MY CAR BUT ME" and it is like a sigma ! ! !

customer says " my mate saw a thing here for $299, I think it was a dvd thingy can you show me "

'can you tune in the VCR before I buy it " ( and its a $69 video )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you whinge about not being served, , leave the store and go somewhere where you do get served.

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #50
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
What do you guys expect? Anyone with decent work ethic and skills isnt going to working in retail well not for long anyway. .
Mate I worked my way up in retail and it is the best keeped secret around. I was a computer tech before this and I can tell you I am the one laughing with the size of my pay check at the end of each month compared to my previous job. You don't have any idea of the work that goes into keeping a shop open for customers like yourself. The idea of everybody who works in retail is a dumba$$ is plain stupid.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #51
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
I happen to manage an Electrical Browngoods store with about 40 staff... we turn over in excess of $20 million per year, , and I am pleased to say that I am confident that we give good service and make sure people get served as much as possible.

People also whine about not getting top class professional serivce, when they are looking at products under $50..... ( ie they want a $30 per hour salesperson to point out the DVD-R for them, and then ask dumb questions )

We are all customers , here is the top list of moron customer quotes.

AC/DC
Dont want it to sound bad.......BUT no question by ANY customer is moronic. You know (most cases in retail) more than the customer and it is up to you, to answer ALL mornic questions nicley and pleasently. As you are the manager, it is your responsibility to lead by example and I would hate to think that you have 'taught' your staff to poo poo silly questions!!! Yes they do ask silly things but smile and point them in the right direction. I have been in retail (& sales) for long time and now when I am the customer, I am one of those moronic question askers who want to be helped!

The worst comment to make is they only want to buy $30.00 worth but they still expect professional service????....and a big YES, If I was buying a plug for the TV worth $2.50 I expect to be treated the exact same as the person who wants the $10,000 TV. If it takes 5 minutes to tell me what I want & where to stick it etc well so be it! I might be in next week to buy the $10,000 TV!!!!!!!

Customers ARE NOT always right. This went out quite a while ago in 'selling school'. But it is how you manage the remarks, questions, abuse, what ever, is how profeesional you are. You need to 'nicely' stand up for yourself and not be a push over.

As far as bad service goes, every single day aand that includes my place of work. From getting a video last night......the girl was talking to a friend over the counter while 'trying' to serve me. Had my videos in her hand chatting away and after about a minute.....long time......turned back to me and said, "I'm sorry....now what was I doing?" She did not deserve a job!

Please dont take this wrong way or me saying you arent professional as I am sure you are....just another way to look at things

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #52
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

id be interested in some of you mentioning where you worked or where you currently work.

just company, maybe not branch unless your that confident haha.

im in same boat as many here, i work in retail sales atmo and have done for some time; i am not a store manager but i have 15-20 working under me now in my department and have found retail to be a 'make or break' type of ocupation, if you know your **** and know what to do and have the right training and do credited training, i rekon you will go nowhere but UP!
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 AM   #53
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

i'm currently working for an electrician, but occasionally i get called in as relief manager at a small (single screen) cinema......

the electrical work is pretty good, for the most part, the customers treat you like god apart from the occasional ***** session from a shiftworker we accidentally wake up in accomodation camps....

the cinema is a different story, owner demanded that we check ID's for anyone who looked under 18 before we could let them into MA15+ movies, so *meh* it had to be done...... even with jailbait promising all kinds of things if i let them in for free (no, i didnt accept, i like freedom and not meeting bubba)

but one was a doozy.....
me: do you have ID?
her: no, but i'm 16
me: sorry, cinema policy, no proof of age, no entry
her: but i'm 16, they know that *points at the junior staff she goes to school with, who back her up*
me: sorry, but i've been told by the owner that i have to sight photo ID before i can let you in
her: but i'm 16, see? *holds up a sweet 16 locket with her photo inside*
me: sorry, that doesnt prove your age
her: *getting annoyed* you mean i have to go home and get some ID?
me: yes, any photo ID with your date of birth
her: but thats on the other side of town
me: you'd better hurry up then, i cant hold the start for you
her: cant you just let me in?
me: i'm sorry, but i cant
her: i'll put you in my book
random guy: dude, you DONT wanna be in her book
me: my mums chased after me with a knife, neither you nor your book scare me one bit, so please go and get photo ID, or find something else to do, you're holding everyone else up
her: i done believe this
me: look, either you go and get ID or you find something else to do, but if you dont do it NOW, i'll ban you from these premesis for a month
her: *storms off in a huff*

she returned 10 minutes later with her passport, i checked it, sold her a ticket and her confec, and she went into the movie oozing pure hatred at me......

gotta love spoilt little bitches like that who think that cos thier daddy is a miner it means they deserve to get treated like a princess

now, thats just an idea of some of the **** that customer service people have to go through.....
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 03:33 AM   #54
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

You can't get serves all the time like you used too, Most jobs now a days are filled by younger people who are just looking for some extra $$$ too get by on there way too something they call "better".
When i was 15 i used too open my auntie and uncles shop on Sundays for 4 hours too give them a sleep in for one day in a week. He was a ******** but he's customer serves skills were perfect. If a customer wanted $5 of ham or any fresh meat don't tell them too pay $5.45 or more give it too them @ the price asked. If you wanted something you got it and when he sold the shop the people left and didn't go back, They ended up going too supermarkets.

Ive been too supermarkets where who ever is on the check out wont even raise a word, You turn into a mind reader and have too guess the total, Like my mother said who struggles seeing up close things if i didn't ask for the price i wouldn't know.
Last week there was this young girl on the check out with amazing manors real easy going bright and happy, She was new you could tell. But that's great serves and makes you return too there business.
Someone only needs too have a bad experience whilst in a shop and they tell someone who tells someone and it goes on and on, It's important this doesn't happen and that's why they hire people too check up on them;).

I just had a bad experience with a exhaust centre that does all mechanical work, lucky i wasn't on clock. They done my upper control arm bushes replaced new in june. Few weeks ago i herd a rattle and this clang clang bang. Stopped the car and got out there was this bolt laying on the ground WTF!. Turns out the control arm on the left was loose and fell out and the other bolt was almost there too.
**** i was thinking what if i was on the highway @ 100-110 and it came flying out and went through someone's window could have been so dangerous very lucky it was in the drive-way.

So i rang them and got someone on the phone that questioned many things about the car and nothing too do with the bolt that came out, I asked too speak with the owner about this. He gets on and pretty much goes down the same line of questioning,
You stuck a spool in it? Over lowered it? Miss treated it? Doing burnouts? No No No and No. Is there a chance you didn't do the job right how dare you question us on our work what do you think we left the bolt loose?.... Well you just questioned my driving my and treatment of the car why shouldn't i question the work you done on it? He hung up.
Now this is good serves i spoke too a guy around the corner about it and he said bring it in tomorrow and i'll fix them up for nothing. that's serves and i have been too this bloke every since for anything and he delivers, He also got me onto a body guy who is very good and cheap.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #55
haycait

Bunnings is my pet hate. It is the closest to me and has by far the largest range but it seem like everytime I go there and need assistance with finding anything I come accross one of the staff that couldn't find their own a$$ with a map!!!

You see the adds and think "Well I am going to be assisted by a plumber or someone who loves not only their job but the company and life in general" but realistically you come accross staff that not only don't know their product but I have several times been advised by their staff to go elsewhere as they don't stock the item I am after, then have kept wondering around and found the item. Without being a smart a$$ at all I then go back to the staff member who was sending me elsewhere and show them what I have and where it was....they get dark and attitudey with me.

I hate their service but they are unfortunately one of the closest with the largest range so I keep going back. :

Maybe I am just a glutton for punishment. :

Cheers
Haycait
haycait is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #56
PDIDDY
Victory is Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you know what really annoys me....salesmen that pounce on you as soon as you enter the shop.
seriously, give the customer a few minutes to look around.

on the other hand if i walk into a place knowing what i want (but would like some advice/guideance)....looking around for assistance in my purchase, hanging around the one area trying to get someones attention and no one comes to help, that is just as bad as being pounced on.

there is a fine line in sales. know what service your customer wants as soon as they walk through the door.
Mate, what do you want? Salespeople aren't mind readers. As a salesperson, it is part of my job to meet and greet a customer nearly as soon as they walk in. I agree with part of what you have said in as far as letting the customer settle for a couple of moments(no-one likes to be pounced on). I just wish sometimes that people that come in had a sign telling us exactly what they want. Lets face it, if they weren't looking for something that you sell, then they wouldn't be there. : end rant.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #57
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heasmens suspension (Sydney). Dropped my sump onto a trolley jack and stuffed it. Then denied it. Liars and theives.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post