Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #31
steve289

Default Re: Considering Mondeo for next car

Finally after 6 months my first post here!
Yep, my (road) bike fits in the boot, with front wheel attached no probs.
Servicing is reasonably priced - check the 'my ford' fixed price servicing for the costs.

I have an MB Zetec, turbo diesel. Purchased 6 months ago & traded up from a VX Commodore. Found an ex dealer demo with 8000km.
Fantastic car, drives smoothly, handles well, average fuel use less than 8.5, at least 800km from each tank. Like some others have said, was sold as soon as i drove one for the first time. Well equipped vehicle & ticks all the boxes for features.
If you buy, i doubt you would regret it.
steve289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #32
steve289

insurance - about $600 per year, outer sub's of Melbourne
steve289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #33
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
@JimStone - your wheels look great. What make and size, and where from?
OX Wheels 631MIB, 18" x7.5" 45pos offset, bought from Bob Jane Tmart - fill out the guard nicely

- blind spot and C pillar vision. Is this really that bad?
Have not noticed it - in my opinion certainly no worse than the AU it replaced
- turning circle. How bad is bad and is it similar to the AU sedan?
Slightly wider than the AU, but you will get that from the long wheel base and limited wheel articulation from a front wheel drive
- Brake feedback. Im used to the AU giving me good pedal pressure, are their brake upgrades available?
Don't know what everyone is talking about - my MC Ecoboost has great pedal feel - nice and progressive, exceptional stopping power in emergencies too
- Is torque steer a huge issue or just when its wet? Will fitting better & improved shocks help?
Not an issue in the Ecoboost (149kw, 320nm), even in the wet. Loss of traction is the issue in the wet. On that note the Traction Control allows just the right amount of slip in the dry, but could be a little tighter in the wet
- Does the car fit 5 adults with relative comfort? My Liberty was a squash, is it better than that?
No complaints so far, family say more comfortable than the AU
- What is the insurance premiums like with these cars?
about $20 more p.a. than the AU, without the $1,500 excess for the Tickford body kit...
- Positive and negative feedback on using 95ron fuel if required?
Have only run it on 95, but I ran the AU on 95 too.

Areas that have been answered that I can cross off the list:
* are there any auto gearbox issues to contend with in either model? Hard to tell but the auto sounds decent except from the replies of low speed clunking. That's a bit of a worry.
Don't know what people are talking about, never experienced this with the Powershift dual clutch auto. Admittedly it was a little sharp before 1st service, but a program update at service eliminated minor quibble. In short it is the best DSG box I've driven.

I'll just quickly fill you in on my physical height and weight. I weigh about 80kg and am 5'6", and asian. Not that the last means anything, but I can fit in almost any car due to my body size. My upper torso is a bit longer than my lower but I tend to have the driver seat a bit further back with a bit of a recline for back comfort. I also tend to rest my arm on the door sill a lot. Can I still do this comfortably in the Mondeo?
Simmilar driving style here, longer upper torso will lend itself to the ergonomics, I think the height adjustable seat will comfortably deal with difference in heights

I know you are leaning hevily towards a manual XR5T or a TD, but try the Ecoboost Powershift if you get a chance - you won't find it wanting. After settling in for a few minutes pull the shift lever to the right and you are in Sports auto mode, works exceptionally well. Can also drive as sequential - its in the right direction too - pull back to go up a gear, push forward to go down.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #34
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I think I might have to pop into rikstas place and put my bike in his car to get any idea and see for myself if it will work.

when I was checking out riksta car though I had to admit it was very smooth and nice with well appointed features.
More than welcome to bring it round and try if you like. Its kind of hard to gauge sizewise from the pics which is why I loaded the one with Brad in the boot to give an idea of perspective/size!

Just remember when you were checking out mine, you were checking out a mid-spec one (Zetec). The Titanium (which by the sounds of it is what you'll be going for) with leather & sunroof and all the extra nice bits eats mine for lunch.

See if you can find a dealer who will let you have a demo overnight (or take it Saturday arvo & return it Monday morning) - take it for a decent drive and see how you feel.

Also I think I remember you saying you work near Norwood Jarvis Ford? Go in there and see Greg (the guy that sold me mine) - really nice guy and he didn't put me through any real salesperson garbage when I got mine, pleasant & easy to deal with which was good.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think I'll need to drive all 3 boosted versions. I'm not adverse to the ecoboost, in fact id prefer it but the price of them is beyond what I'm prepared to spend.

Thanks you guys for answering my other queries to the best of your abilities. its really helped.

Rik- it was your car that started the thought process mate. after seeing how well appointed the zetec was I was left with my thoughts in serious consideration. Despite what model ill get though mate, it doesn't detract from how impressive I think your car is even in stock form. I think the seed has been planted. its what sprouts from that seed is yet to be seen.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #36
JimStone

Fair call on price ranges. When car shopping I have always take the approach of setting a budget and stick to it. When I went shopping I set a budget of $35k to replace the AU Fairmont Ghia VCT, wanting something a little more frugal on fuel but with at least the same performance and creature comforts. Only thing the Zetec fell short on was not having leather seats, but did give me dual zone climate control, parking sensors, auto wipers, auto headlights, stupendously huge boot space,etc, etc... In the end I could not justify an extra 10k for the Titianuim over the Zetec for my purposes; but everyone has their own priorities and features they are willing to sacrifice when looking for their next car.

If you look hard a demo Titanium Ecoboost can be had from the mid 30s, but if you are willing to sacrifice the sunroof & leather off your list demo Zetec Ecoboosts are kicking off in the mid 20s at the moment...
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thanks Jim. pretty similar thoughts to u mate. although my pricing id like to keep under 32k if possible and still get close to what I want in features. sunroof is non negotiable I'm afraid. its something I've always wanted. happy with suede leather. not worried with proper leather due to summer heat.

The handling package, and making sure power is there from idle is key as well as it being able to carry my road bike which has been confirmed it can.

Dual zone c/c, blind spot sensors, f&r parking sensors, Bluetooth, global power windows etc are all bonuses and excellent selling points for me.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Can somebody tell me where the MB & MC models were built? I hear its German designed, but is it built in Belgium or England?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #39
manamp27

Yep. German designed and Belgium built.
manamp27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks manamp27. For some reason I thought they were English constructed.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #41
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by manamp27
Yep. German designed and Belgium built.
Body & assembly at Genk, Belgium; Ecoboost engine from Valencia, Spain; Turbo Disesel from PSA plants in France, England or Sweden; T5 from Skovde, Sweden

Last edited by JimStone; 11-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #42
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone
Body & assembly at Genk, Belgium; Ecoboost engine from Valencia, Spain; Turbo Disesel from PSA plants in France, England or Sweden; T5 from Skovde, Sweden
That's a pretty thorough break down mate. I call it Euro built. But there is a ring to it when you say, 'designed in Germany' and built in Belgium.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Was the XR5 Mondeo built in Belgium or Saarlouis like the ST?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #44
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Was the XR5 Mondeo built in Belgium or Saarlouis like the ST?
Genk, Belgium along with the rest of the range.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #45
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus
Genk, Belgium along with the rest of the range.
Thanks mate. But seen as the RS/ST was built in Germany i thought the Mondeo XR5T was aswell.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #46
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Rik- it was your car that started the thought process mate. after seeing how well appointed the zetec was I was left with my thoughts in serious consideration. Despite what model ill get though mate, it doesn't detract from how impressive I think your car is even in stock form. I think the seed has been planted. its what sprouts from that seed is yet to be seen.
Cheers mate, I still love my car, probably the nicest car I've had, just always an absolute pleasure to get into to drive.

Quote:
In the end I could not justify an extra 10k for the Titianuim over the Zetec for my purposes
Sounds like you were thinking along the exact same lines as me mate, I stuck with Zetec because it was affordable and had everything I NEEDED with a bit of what I WANTED - in the end I compromised on what I wanted and went with what I needed and still got what I think is probably the best value package Mondeo on the market.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #47
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Based on the current feedback given so far, I have some minor concerns.
- blind spot and C pillar vision. Is this really that bad?
>>>> blind spot is significant, but all modern cars are much the same now ..by design. Reminiscent of 1974 Falcon XB I owned years ago., but nothin beats a convertible for visibility (he he he ...)
- turning circle. How bad is bad and is it similar to the AU sedan?
>>> big car wider than Falcon, and I think turning circle is bigger due to FWD arrangement
- Brake feedback. Im used to the AU giving me good pedal pressure, are their brake upgrades available?
>>>> I'm intersted in other peoples responses here...
- Is torque steer a huge issue or just when its wet? Will fitting better & improved shocks help?
>>>> no issue, and the electronics gimmicks sort this one out. Never noticed it myself.
- Does the car fit 5 adults with relative comfort? My Liberty was a squash, is it better than that?
>>>>> Huge over the Liberty, easy 5 seater, wider than Falcon inside. Falcon BF felt cramped in the front due to very large console (go figure!!)
- What is the insurance premiums like with these cars?
60% no claim and over 35 = $900 pa. Get an online quote for yourself e.g. NRMA. Also depends where you live etc. Leasing adds a few $$ to premium for no good reason I can see..
- Positive and negative feedback on using 95ron fuel if required?
>>>> XR5T requires 98RON. (tolerates 95 but you lose performancel), 91RON destroys motor and voids warranty
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #48
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

BlueOval - I'm 5'7" / 170cm and light build but long legged for height.
Go and test drive one to see if it fits you !!!

The extra $$ for upper range is worth it if you can afford it.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #49
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

With regards to the brakes, I find that the intial response in quite "strong" compared to Falcons, but overall they seem to much more powerfull overall and much better suited to the cars weight. This isnt a complaint, but the HUGE amount of brake dust from them is!!

As for torque steer, I find under HARD throttle at lower speeds it is present.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #50
JimStone

Quote:
That's a pretty thorough break down mate. I call it Euro built. But there is a ring to it when you say, 'designed in Germany' and built in Belgium.
I just call mine the Belgian Bahnstormer
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #51
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks guys. I will get a test drive soon. probably not yet as u get all sorts of pressure from salesmen if u show that kind of interest. I'm still a little way from parting with the cash. probably wait till later in second half of year to make it happen. I could easily get a car tomorrow but I'm in middle of building my house so will need to wait till after then.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #52
Rastus

My Brother In Law recently got himself a MC Zetec Ecoboost Hatch, and he's loving it too. No issues whatsoever, and he tells me this morning he's getting an average of 8.1L/100km, mixed. Mostly around town with some 100km/h drives.
Brakes are excellent on our XR5 for everyday stuff & bite well, but I know the brake discs are expensive when in need of replacement. (not that I've had to yet) Most on the XR5 forums look to get better aftermarket ones for cheaper than what Ford sell OEM ones. And as DFB FGXR6 has mentioned, it's brake dust central on our wheels.
Mmmm, Belgium... the land of Chocolate!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #53
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I just call mine the Belgian Bahnstormer
I wouldn't worry, a lot of fast fords have come from Belgium Inc some Sierras Cosworths.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #54
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus
And as DFB FGXR6 has mentioned, it's brake dust central on our wheels.
Oh my god, my front wheels are black more often than shiny & new looking, I don't think I've ever had a car as bad for brake dust as the Mondeo!!! To the point I'm half tempted to take it to my local mechanic (ie not a Ford dealer) and telling him to put something else in - but I don't want to mess too much with anything in case Ford won't honour any warranty claim later down the track because I've had someone else play with it and put non-approved parts in it.
Quote:
Old 13-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #55
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Oh my god, my front wheels are black more often than shiny & new looking, I don't think I've ever had a car as bad for brake dust as the Mondeo!!! To the point I'm half tempted to take it to my local mechanic (ie not a Ford dealer) and telling him to put something else in - but I don't want to mess too much with anything in case Ford won't honour any warranty claim later down the track because I've had someone else play with it and put non-approved parts in it.
Brake dust doesn't concern me all that much. I get a lot on my au as it is now so its not like I'm not used to it. it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.just means I would look for a different pad after the stock ones where out.

Id choose braking quality over dirty wheels to wash every weekend.

Plus I'm a bit of a brake rider in the hills so brake feel is important

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #56
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I get it to, easy fix paint your wheels black like I did
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #57
JimStone

Forgot about the brake dust issue, but then again I have gone a simmilar route to DJM83

One of the first things I noticed when I had a real look at the Mondeo on the show room floor - brakes are substantially larger than the S1 AU - don't forget those are 18" rims

And some surprising comparisons (well, to me anyway) that came to light as well

Old 13-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #58
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks Jim. that's an interesting comparison. the mondeo is similar if not bigger than the au in some areas. go figure.

Would u say an xr5t would out handle an fg xr6?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #59
Rastus

Quote:
I'd say the XR5T would handle better than the XR6. Less weight goes a long way. I'd guess the weight distribution is better in the Mondeo also.
Saying all that, I've only driven an FG XR6 for a week as a renter, and that was a couple of years ago now.

Quote:
Id choose braking quality over dirty wheels to wash every weekend.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 13-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #60
JimStone

Quote:
Have not driven the XR5T, can only comment on thoughts MC Zetec Ecoboost vs XR6.

For my driving style;
In the dry - Mondeo by a whisker - primarily from the tighter turn in on a trailing throttle, mid corner stability, more direct throttle response out of the corners and Powershift transmission that actually holds gears when you want it (sports mode);
In the wet or on loose surfaces - I feel more comfortable punting the XR6 hard; but that comes from years of driving sideways so a bit of angle in the wet does not overly concern me whereas understeer makes me a little uncomfortable.