Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #31
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I started kyokushin a while back but never stuck with it. I'm pretty interested in it all and have a couple of how to dvd's at home (Krav Maga etc).

I'd love to be able to get in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu or Muay Thai. These seem pretty practical.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did Taekwondo years ago. It was a lot of fun. My dad was in the Raaf and he was stationed in Malaysia so i studied there. Great experience learning from these guys. Ours was run for Raaf kids, had 2 instructors. One was an Airforce Officer who was a Black Belt and our master was a Malaysian Instructor who was a 5th dan. For our gradings we used to fight in local tournaments and these were usually held at local temples. Loved it. It's different.

I never continued when we returned back home. Attended some classes. In asia, I found it was all about the Martial Arts. More spiritual. In Australia, it's more business and all about the $$$. The level of instructors i always found to be poor.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #33
One Drone
Lane HO

I agree with you Bucknaked. I've always loved martial arts and I still do. Went to Shaolin Temple recently and that is amazing to watch. Done Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kun Do and tried Wing Chun but it's hard (in Australia) to find a good instructor who will train you without thinking too much about how much $ he is getting from you.
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #34
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drone
to find a good instructor who will train you without thinking too much about how much $ he is getting from you.
After learning the correct technique it's really how much you are prepared to put into mastering it , like anything.

For me years in tae kwon do, boxing, judo and zen do ki.

I was at instructor level for zen do ki ( based on a tough street fight style for me ) for many years, but these days oragami ( paper folding ) is a struggle,good fun at the time and enjoyed it.

Best lesson from it all, It takes a tougher person to walk away and avoid a fight than some one ready to punch it up over trivial matters.

always walk away and only ever throw a punch in self defence or in protecting your family / loved ones or those unable to defend themselves.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #35
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
After learning the correct technique it's really how much you are prepared to put into mastering it , like anything.

For me years in tae kwon do, boxing, judo and zen do ki.

I was at instructor level for zen do ki ( based on a tough street fight style for me ) for many years, but these days oragami ( paper folding ) is a struggle,good fun at the time and enjoyed it.

Best lesson from it all, It takes a tougher person to walk away and avoid a fight than some one ready to punch it up over trivial matters.

always walk away and only ever throw a punch in self defence or in protecting your family / loved ones or those unable to defend themselves.
I too did Zen Do Ki for a number a years, training 2-3 hrs per night. On top of the phyical aspect of training of an evening came the daily manual labour of my job. I was heading to training and was shaking because I was that phyically drained from the days activates. I learnt to put mind over matter. It was great to see how far you could push yourself. In the end it all became to much with my joints (hips,knees,elbows,shoulders,etc) all paying a price. I cannot move like I used too. I have learnt of this first hand as I now assist in training the local junior boxing. Can see them coming and the mind says "move you fool" but the body says "forget it buddy, it ain't gunna happen.... so brace yourself cause this may hurt".

I enjoyed doing it. Wish I could still. But the advice given by DOC is the best lesson that can be learnt or taught by any teacher of the art.

Failing that, I have learnt that a swift kick just behind the saddle bags can bring down the biggest of men. Actually they go up about a foot or two first, then hit the ground. Had this happen to me at training once. Couldn't see for the tears (wasn't crying, they just seem to start flowing). It was like p-----g on an electric fence in the dark. OUCH!

Trainer thought it was a great lesson. Man who cannot see or stand cannot fight. Couldn't argue with that!
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #36
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive watched all the Bruce Lee,Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal movies and did martial arts for a while till I wiped my knee out.
Have since found that a piece of 4x2 timber about a meter and a half long is just as effective :evil3:
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 AM   #37
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I did Taekwondo years ago. It was a lot of fun. My dad was in the Raaf and he was stationed in Malaysia so i studied there. Great experience learning from these guys. Ours was run for Raaf kids, had 2 instructors. One was an Airforce Officer who was a Black Belt and our master was a Malaysian Instructor who was a 5th dan. For our gradings we used to fight in local tournaments and these were usually held at local temples. Loved it. It's different.

I never continued when we returned back home. Attended some classes. In asia, I found it was all about the Martial Arts. More spiritual. In Australia, it's more business and all about the $$$. The level of instructors i always found to be poor.
A great opportunity you had in Malaysia Bucknaked, your sentiments about the training standards here have some foundation.
I also trained in Tae Kwon Do ITF style reaching 1st degree Black belt. Finding an instructor is easy but finding a good instructor is hard. There is an ITF TKD instructor here in Melbourne at RMIT Master Robert Lai who I think is from Malaysia who is first class but he is an exception as he is not $$$ driven like a great many whose credentials need careful scrutiny.
To anyone who is entertaining a Martial Art do your homework on the discipline you are interested in, a good instructor will not mind you watching a training session before you fork out $$$.
Cheers
Bill.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #38
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:

I think this is very true for far too many times. The big dollars asked for usually seems to dictate the schools.The other problem is that they cannot teach you to a level which they cannot.The technical ability seems to be limited to visual effects and a few tricks.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #39
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:

I think this is very true for far too many times. The big dollars asked for usually seems to dictate the schools.The other problem is that they cannot teach you to a level which they cannot.The technical ability seems to be limited to visual effects and a few tricks. To be effective in combat is to create maximum damage in minimal time to control the situation.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #40
mosman69
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
There is an ITF TKD instructor here in Melbourne at RMIT Master Robert Lai who I think is from Malaysia who is first class but he is an exception as he is not $$$ driven like a great many whose credentials need careful scrutiny.
WOW its such a small world, i have doen taekwon do since i was 6 and have been to two junior world championships and pulled out of the most recent senior one due to politics not being to my liking, but i trained for a while under Master Lai, he is indeed from malaysia and he is the most unselfish instructor in the friggin world, he does it for the love not for the money, unlike most instructors (no disrespect this is not a generalisation) he has another full time job so martial arts is not his income so he is always looking after his students best interests on and off the mat. TOP bloke two thumbs up for him.
Bill how do you know him?
mosman69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #41
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Mosman69, I have been out of Tae Kwondo for quite a few years now and trained briefly at Master Lai's school at RMIT but couldn't keep doing the traveling due to new daughter, work etc. Yes Master Robert Lai is a standout instructor who is widely respected, alas I did not get to know him personally,
cheers
Bill.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #42
mosman69
Lost Cause

righto nice to bump into someone like this, totally unexpected. I was with him for two years while i was studying at monash in melbourne, heard he was the best, tried it out and couldnt fault him so i stayed till i left melbourne (temporarily this year) don't know if ill b getting back into it tho. anyways sorry to knick the post guys
mosman69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #43
red_hotxr6
Banned

Did any one get to see the martial arts documentary last night on foxtel, with the bo,nunchucks and the katana featuring.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #44
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

I dont do it but i was taught Akido by my dad and boxing. He was an Akido instructor and a good boxer was also a cop so he got to test it alot back in the day lol. But yeh akido and boxing are good.

I think on the street boxing is best.

All though i do hate fighting but if someone is attacking me or hits me it`s on!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #45
The Monty
Just slidin'

Went to my first JuJitsu class last night. Was very good, a lot of good things learnt.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #46
Stav
Smile

Today I turned on the tele and they had guiness book of world records.
A karate guy was there and a guy from my wing chun club with a senior instructor.They both went for the most punches in a minute. The karate guy threw 380 and the wing chun threw 420...a new world record.Just loked a bit sureal to see people I knew on tv breaking records. ing_sm