Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #31
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Speeding Fines in QLD To Increase from July 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
If you are going to make a statement like that then I would like some evidence please! Off course you can ignore my request or tell me where to go (you won't be the first) but you will also risk a dire and perilous situation whereby I will possible not believe you!!!
I suppose that working on the front line as an ambo doesn't count?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #32
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
And its any better in NSW??? Didn't the Libs before coming into power promise a review of speed camera use? And what was the outcome? I see a lot more mobile cameras than before, and fewer cops patrolling and more parked on freeway medians.
What's that got to do with raising the actual fine amount?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #33
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
I suppose that working on the front line as an ambo doesn't count?
Of course it does. What is your take on the situation?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #34
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
If you are going to make a statement like that then I would like some evidence please! Off course you can ignore my request or tell me where to go (you won't be the first) but you will also risk a dire and perilous situation whereby I will possible not believe you!!!
I have never been to a road fatality where the driver was doing less than 10% over the posted speed limit, I don't know of anyone that has and that equates to a hell of a lot of road fatalities on QLD roads. I have however been to a lot of crashes that involve people not paying attention to the road ahead of them which is a situation that such small margins of error in speed limit enforcement supports.

it is a really interesting situation, we get the commissioner of police and AC's jumping on the media preaching speed kills and justifying the lowering of tolerances as a meaningful method of addressing the situation. Meanwhile in discussions with police officers including the major crash investigators the general consensus of the troops on the front line is that it is a misguided effort and making no difference. Could that be because the higher up powers are under pressure to tow the government line in order to gain favour with the government, gain promotion or maintain current positions? Just think about that for a while.

Also consider despite an increase in speed cameras and reduction in speed tolerance we just had our worst Easter period for fatalities in many years.

Last edited by geckoGT; 04-05-2015 at 08:20 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #35
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
I have never been to a road fatality where the driver was doing less than 10% over the posted speed limit, I don't know of anyone that has and that equates to a hell of a lot of road fatalities on QLD roads. I have however been to a lot of crashes that involve people not paying attention to the road ahead of them which is a situation that such small margins of error in speed limit enforcement supports.

it is a really interesting situation, we get the commissioner of police and AC's jumping on the media preaching speed kills and justifying the lowering of tolerances as a meaningful method of addressing the situation. Meanwhile in discussions with police officers including the major crash investigators the general consensus of the troops on the front line is that it is a misguided effort and making no difference. Could that be because the higher up powers are under pressure to tow the government line in order to gain favour with the government, gain promotion or maintain current positions? Just think about that for a while.

Also consider despite an increase in speed cameras and reduction in speed tolerance we just had our worst Easter period for fatalities in many years.
But/So what can/are you going to do about it. accept the status-quo or change it!
While there are people like me who have no issues with the fine for speeding system (yes I have received my share of speeding tickets) the anti fines people are going to have an uphill battle.
I wish you luck, but its a battle not worth me joining.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #36
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not give the State Governments what they pretend to want.

If everyone in Australia made a concerted effort to drive 5 km/h under all speed limits for a few months or until they forced a change in the way road safety is sold to the public, that would …. them.

A loss of revenue of that magnitude would cause the States to refocus their true agenda and show them up for what they truly are.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #37
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
What's that got to do with raising the actual fine amount?
You're implying things would be better under Libs. Lets face it, both sides of politics are addicted to the revenue.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #38
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
A loss of revenue of that magnitude would cause the States to refocus their true agenda and show them up for what they truly are.
It already happened in Victoria. When cameras were rolled out en masse, the revenue was huge and every man and his dog was getting booked. A year or two later, and people adapted and slowed down, and the revenue fell. So what did they do? Drop the tolerance. If the revenue from that starts falling, you watch, they'll be trialling 40 as the default urban limit.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #39
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
It already happened in Victoria. When cameras were rolled out en masse, the revenue was huge and every man and his dog was getting booked. A year or two later, and people adapted and slowed down, and the revenue fell. So what did they do? Drop the tolerance. If the revenue from that starts falling, you watch, they'll be trialling 40 as the default urban limit.
Unfortunately I suspect this is already happening with the reduction of urban limits from 60 down to 50.

Unfortunately as the speeds decrease the driver attention also decreases, as does the fatigue related crashes in semi rural and rural areas. End result the revenue is protected but no real inroads are made on the reduction of the road toll.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I live in Victoria, which has more speed cameras combined than all the other states put together.

I speed everywhere, usually 10km/h over on the highways, the only time I came close to getting a fine was I was doing 125 in a 100 zone for around 20km, coming home from night school at around 10pm, with my high beams and spotlights going.

Saw a car in the distance coming towards me, turned my highs and spotties off, when I got to within 50m or so of them, red and blues came on.

Then stayed on, and then they turned them off and kept going.

I don't see how people get done by a speed camera car, they're obvious when you see a new SUV on the side of the road and they always cycle through a few particular spots on a stretch of road.

Also fixed speed cameras don't ever move, you know where they are and which highways.

In some states they're even signed, you gotta be kidding me how that is a problem to you.

Pick your time and place boys.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-05-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #41
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I live in Victoria, which has more speed cameras combined than all the other states put together.

I speed everywhere, usually 10km/h over on the highways, the only time I came close to getting a fine was I was doing 125 in a 100 zone for around 20km, coming home from night school at around 10pm, with my high beams and spotlights going.

Saw a car in the distance coming towards me, turned my highs and spotties off, when I got to within 50m or so of them, red and blues came on.

Then stayed on, and then they turned them off and kept going.

I don't see how people get done by a speed camera car, they're obvious when you see a new SUV on the side of the road and they always cycle through a few particular spots on a stretch of road.

Also fixed speed cameras don't ever move, you know where they are and which highways.

In some states they're even signed, you gotta be kidding me how that is a problem to you.
In QLD they have very few fixed cameras but do have covert cameras which can be mounted in virtually any vehicle. I have see a trade ute, a VW Golf and a reasonably old Commodore wagon.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 AM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
In QLD they have very few fixed cameras but do have covert cameras which can be mounted in virtually any vehicle. I have see a trade ute, a VW Golf and a reasonably old Commodore wagon.
Ours are usually SUVs, and they have a bull bar on the front with what looks like one spotlight sticking out past the bullbar, and another similar looking light on the opposite end also spaced out, its obvious what it is.

Be sus of parked cars on the side of freeways.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #43
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Few weeks ago I was having dinner at a mate's, and one of the other guests was a cop. Conversation turned to speeding, asking if she catches people. She said no, you have to be specially trained, as well as be an a-hole. She recently got a speeding fine. Wasn't happy. But she also said you have to be going 8ks over before you get booked.

That might be the hand helds rather than the automated cameras.

At this point I've never received a speeding fine (although my nephew driving my Pathfinder managed two within an hour of each other, passing the same mobile speed camera he knows is always there), and I'm sure one time I was a couple ks over when I saw the radar gun; the speed limit was changing and I was still slowing down.

There's two things I've noticed on this forum. People don't like auto lights/wipers, because if you can't see it's raining or getting dark, why are you driving? But they also can't look out their windows and glance at the speedo every now and then. Maybe those auto features are a good thing.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2015, 01:45 AM   #44
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I think it has been established that raising the fines is just QLD Govco's version of Oliver Twist.

If they were serious about using speed as a safety scapegoat, they'd just bump the fines up to stupid amounts & make a loss of license on 1km/h over.

/end thread.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2015, 03:47 AM   #45
Tom Tucker

Unfortunately, the only catalyst for change in this instance is a decent social uprising. The government needs to be sent a clear message from the electorate that citizens won't tolerate being treated like cash dispensers
Tom Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #46
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Vexatious legislation.
Time to play cricket.
1984 was 31 years ago, now it's a reality.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #47
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
Unfortunately, the only catalyst for change in this instance is a decent social uprising. The government needs to be sent a clear message from the electorate that citizens won't tolerate being treated like cash dispensers
The governments know us all too well. Aussies complain among themselves then the she’ll be right mate mentality kicks in and they never actually get around to forcing change.

The only change that happens here is if the media runs with it when they find an issue they believe will sell copy. It's easier to post a comment on the web at the bottom of a news article or click on a yes or no icon to a survey then to get off our *** and do something.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You cant force change in a two-party electoral system, when both parties offer the same crap.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #49
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post

There's two things I've noticed on this forum. People don't like auto lights/wipers, because if you can't see it's raining or getting dark, why are you driving? But they also can't look out their windows and glance at the speedo every now and then. Maybe those auto features are a good thing.
How long do you have to look away from the road to read your speedo to the accuracy of a few km's/hr? Think about it for a bit, or even better count it out the next time you are driving from the time you first look away from the road to the time you are focussed back on the road. You might be surprised. Now multiply that time by the number of times you speedo check every minute and multiply that by the number of minutes your average commute is. Don't forget you have to read you speedo to within a few k's and not just a rough reading because that is what the laws are demanding.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #50
Tom Tucker

Quote:
You cant force change in a two-party electoral system, when both parties offer the same crap.
You possibly can if you're an independent who holds the balance of power...

You're right though. The irony with democracy is that coupled with layers of bureaucracy, a system that is supposed to be flexible and reactive, is in fact cumbersome, inefficient, and in my view, stagnant.

Can you imagine the laborious process of repealing legislation aimed at persecuting regular citizens for revenue raising purposes? That is assuming that one day the government actually wakes up to themselves. Or, as alluded to earlier, people can be bothered forcing them to cut the crap.

If I were to pick a single thing about Australia that makes me want to go elsewhere, it is the topic of this discussion.

People don't tolerate this crap elsewhere. Europeans largely revolted during the medieval and industrial eras. The Americans have 2nd amendment rights to take up arms against a tyrannical government...
Old 06-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Well get involved in the system, you can change things from the inside, lots of people all want to give their 2 cents on how the system sucks but no one wants to put effort into changing it because it means they have to get out of the armchair.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #52
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

People don't tolerate this crap elsewhere. Europeans largely revolted during the medieval and industrial eras. The Americans have 2nd amendment rights to take up arms against a tyrannical government...
Wow, comparing the application of a 'driving above a posted limit' tax and the global uprising against a tyrannical theocracies and absolute monarchies where the majority of people were 'not really free' is a long bow.
First world problems guys!

Secondly, if enough people 'uprise' against fines in lieu of safety scenario we face then the politicians will listen and make changes. Despite what you enthusiasts think I'm of the opinion that the majority of your 'neighbours' either agree with the fines or don't think it affects them enough as they don't speed.

JP

Old 06-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #53
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Well get involved in the system, you can change things from the inside, lots of people all want to give their 2 cents on how the system sucks but no one wants to put effort into changing it because it means they have to get out of the armchair.
The factional way in which the parties are run effectively maintains the status quo. Besides which, doesn't it make a mockery of the concept of democracy? Why do I have to become part of the system in order for the system to respond to the will of the people?

What we need is a system like they have in Switzerland.... Any citizen may challenge a law that has been passed by parliament. If that person is able to gather 50,000 signatures against the law within 100 days, a national vote has to be scheduled where voters decide by a simple majority of the voters whether to accept or reject the law
Old 06-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #54
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The factional way in which the parties are run effectively maintains the status quo. Besides which, doesn't it make a mockery of the concept of democracy? Why do I have to become part of the system in order for the system to respond to the will of the people?

What we need is a system like they have in Switzerland.... Any citizen may challenge a law that has been passed by parliament. If that person is able to gather 50,000 signatures against the law within 100 days, a national vote has to be scheduled where voters decide by a simple majority of the voters whether to accept or reject the law
I like the idea behind the swiss system, but the reality is bleak for any sucess. Small turnouts at the federal popular initiatives have lead to most of the circa 190 initiatives (since late 19th century) being voted down , and those that were sucessfull were pretty serious affairs with a double majority needed to win on the day.
And to be honest I cant see this topic gaining much ground. Im a car enthusiast with a race car and am pro speeding fines for those caught exceeding the posted limits, no matter how its dressed up.

JP
Old 06-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #55
Tom Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Wow, comparing the application of a 'driving above a posted limit' tax and the global uprising against a tyrannical theocracies and absolute monarchies where the majority of people were 'not really free' is a long bow.
First world problems guys!

Secondly, if enough people 'uprise' against fines in lieu of safety scenario we face then the politicians will listen and make changes. Despite what you enthusiasts think I'm of the opinion that the majority of your 'neighbours' either agree with the fines or don't think it affects them enough as they don't speed.

JP

I think it's a fair comparison. It's easy to say "if you don't break the law it shouldn't be a problem" but this is such a short sighted and fanciful argument that assumes all laws are fair and imposed for the greater good.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #56
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think it's a fair comparison. It's easy to say "if you don't break the law it shouldn't be a problem" but this is such a short sighted and fanciful argument that assumes all laws are fair and imposed for the greater good.
far from a fair or even similar comparison. You wont be put to death for having a contrary opinion to the rulers. You aren't indebted to your landlord. You can vote, you can rouse support for your cause. You wont they did and many payed with their lives! no similarities
But I encourage you to do something other than blog about it.

JP
Old 11-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #57
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so, where's my rego discount for going a whole year with no fines??????

???????????

they use the stick, but no carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Is QLD's economy broke or something?
addicted to easy revenue, like cocaine.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #58
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
they use the stick, but no carrot
they use a carrot ... they jam it up your 4rse
Old 15-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #59
loony888

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
But, armed with this knowledge, your still not going to do or be able to do anything about it either?

JP
unfortunately not, no. individuals don't stand a chance.

But it's not a criticism aimed at any one person in particular, rather our overall "she'll be right" attitude and laid back way.the govt. knows damn well that while there may be the odd whine here and there it's an easy storm to ride out, because by and large our society is a go along to get along lot.

The europeans on the other hand are a little different, there is no way in hell the french or italians would sit back and let their government effectively thieve from them with lies, spin and manipulated statistics. there would be very large, very public well organised events that would convince the govt. their decision was misguided, it happens often, but that's how their society is.
Old 15-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #60
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888 View Post
unfortunately not, no. individuals don't stand a chance.

But it's not a criticism aimed at any one person in particular, rather our overall "she'll be right" attitude and laid back way.the govt. knows damn well that while there may be the odd whine here and there it's an easy storm to ride out, because by and large our society is a go along to get along lot.

The europeans on the other hand are a little different, there is no way in hell the french or italians would sit back and let their government effectively thieve from them with lies, spin and manipulated statistics. there would be very large, very public well organised events that would convince the govt. their decision was misguided, it happens often, but that's how their society is.
Italy is probably not a great example to use. There's persistent major problems with corruption by political parties, the public service, bribery and links with organised crime, which costs them €60 billion per year...

http://www.transparency.org/country#ITA