Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #31
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

cheers mate , i didn't know those were available like that ! .. yeah is like what i wanna make sorta , thanks for the links .. cheers , the only downfall i see with that SS setup on that website maybe is - the main snorke pipe doesnt have a deep low 'U' shape to it , i can see that this would help the air flow better with the setup they have , but i would be worried about water/rain etc etc getting sucked into the airbox with no 'U' shape on the snorkle pipe imo .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #32
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
i have a few spare meters of some 6" inch ducting pipe lying around somewhere here , and plenty of spare 2mm aluminum sheet, i might have to see if i can maybe make a new larger alloy intake nozzle ( the entrance part of the snorkle ) and attatch the 6" tube to the end of that and the other end to a sealed plastic box i have here also spare (junk) which is the size of an airbox roughlly ( i'll use it as an airbox for now just for testing to see if any positive results before i go boring the hole bigger in my actual airbox !, ill prolly use a large car washing sponge or something like that jammed in the 6" tube to roughly simulate the air restriction the airfilter in the propper airbox would cause - ill fasten it so it doesnt get sucked into the intake ! ..lol - this would all just be for rough testing ! ), anything to save a few bux ..lol, $195 for a bit of plastic is darn expensive allthough it looks good and if it works well then even better , but i think ill try see if i can 'cheap way out of it' for now, while still trying to maintain a clean professional look to it . I like having a '1 of a kind / something different' mod . Gives you a bit more pride too when you can achieve good results while saving a fortune, and maintaining a pro look to it , imo to me anyway .
Sounds like u got a lot of junk layn around bud _2: just kiddn

Have u thought of running a whole new secondary intake from somewhere??
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #33
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Sounds like u got a lot of junk layn around bud _2: just kiddn

Have u thought of running a whole new secondary intake from somewhere??
lol , yeah mate im a real DIY guy ..lol.., i got all sorts of bits and spare pieces lying around here from all sorts of stuff i have made over the years. Yep i have considered a secondary cold air intake , but i wanna sort out the original intake good and propper first, if all goes to plan ill probably be using 1 of the front pods for a secondary intake , and the other pod ill be using to cool the sleeve im looking at making to cover and cool the whole intake system under the hood ( as described in the 'Intake-Mod' thread ) . cheers .

Old 25-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #34
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Even though I hate all the CAI Bu^^#$%& I have to say this is a neat little mod and yes I have done it.

My bumometer must be a little out of tune although the kids and even the dog regularly complain about it.

I couldn't tell any difference!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i no mines diff but i made 100mm hole in the bottom of the air box an ran the AGI pipe thru the wheel arch and into the front left fog light hole in the bumper. I used AGI pipe ИИИ its ribbed so no water runs up in the airbox,but i used duct tape on the side an roof of the pipe so that air flow was still fast!!!
It works a treat

I dont know if its luck but at a stand still when i get someone to rev it for me the new pipe wants to suck ur arm up the pipe but the existing snorkel only sucks a little
Old 25-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #36
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
i no mines diff but i made 100mm hole in the bottom of the air box an ran the AGI pipe thru the wheel arch and into the front left fog light hole in the bumper. I used AGI pipe ИИИ its ribbed so no water runs up in the airbox,but i used duct tape on the side an roof of the pipe so that air flow was still fast!!!
It works a treat

I dont know if its luck but at a stand still when i get someone to rev it for me the new pipe wants to suck ur arm up the pipe but the existing snorkel only sucks a little
The small original pipe will only suck a small amount of air once you go putting a larger second intake line - thats natural ( the bigger your second intake - the less the original pipe is going to suck air ), as the larger pipe has better airflow - the engine/airbox is gonna source its air from the most free flowing area = the larger intake you made . What you descibed above is a good example of your pipe over-riding the original pipe. If its nearlly sucking your arm up the pipe then you know its breathing freely now .

Old 25-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #37
1TUFFUTE
Banned

yeah i cant really feel the diff but its cheap an works in theory :
Old 25-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #38
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

havent you blocked the flow for the A/C?
Old 25-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #39
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Biggest thing alone i have notices even just with the scoop is the fuel saving, it's definatelly made a difference, it is also a bit more responsive .
I wouldn't really call it a power increase mod, the car just runs smoother and uses less fuel cos it can breath a little easier breathing cooler air / lightly ramed into the nozzle .

Old 25-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #40
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
havent you blocked the flow for the A/C?

Nope , and it still works fine too ;) .

Old 25-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #41
1TUFFUTE
Banned

as if this highly scientific experiment would forget something like that :
Old 25-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #42
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
highly scientific experiment :
omg ..lmao - i gather your being sarcastic ! ..lol ;) :evil_laug

: :

Old 26-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #43
cookin
Starter Motor

Talking tickford

hi guys just looking at scoop setup i have found by cutting a small section of the grill at a certain angle you can get more air into the intake and it,s nicely hidden a stanley knife or hacksaw blade will do the scoop is a great idea but the xr6 grill
blocks most of the flow by cutting a small section out much more air is rammed in i will take pics and post :
cookin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 01:27 AM   #44
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookin
hi guys just looking at scoop setup i have found by cutting a small section of the grill at a certain angle you can get more air into the intake and it,s nicely hidden a stanley knife or hacksaw blade will do the scoop is a great idea but the xr6 grill
blocks most of the flow by cutting a small section out much more air is rammed in i will take pics and post :
I think i know where ya on about chopping , on the back of the grill opposite the scoop , im not cutting my grill for more air ! - the scoopr works fine and so long as u make it in a nice nearlly 1/4 round shaped it gathers plenty of air , i have like a 2cm gap all the way between the grill and the scoop , plenty enough , specially with the lenght of the scoop. If you wanna butcher you grill though then go for it . imo - I'de rather add another intake (which i'll probably do anyway) before i go cutting the grill - even the back of it where it isnt really visible .. lol i made the scoop a clip on job because i didnt want to drill into the chassis to mount the scoop . Personally too , front of the grill or rear - i think it even a bit carved out of the grill would be visible if ur a picky bastard like me ! ..lol ;)

Old 27-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #45
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I have been watching this thread, and reading the comments posted. I have been intending to do this for quite some time but have never really got around to it (Even thouhg it would only take 15mins to do). I first noticed one like this on aufalcon.com and enquired to the owner, and he cut part of the grill to allow more air. From the pics i have seen the Fairmont grill (as i have aswell) sits back a bit futher at the top and needs to be cut, where as your grill sits a little further out which allows more air, although i could be wrong.

You can see what he did if you go to

http://www.aufalcon.com/Cogdoc.htm
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #46
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

yeah just looked again, and your grill sits completely different to the Fairmont Grills, if you cut your it would be visible, however on a fairmont grill you cannot see where the cut would be and it would have to be cut to allow air flow.
Old 27-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #47
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
yeah just looked again, and your grill sits completely different to the Fairmont Grills, if you cut your it would be visible, however on a fairmont grill you cannot see where the cut would be and it would have to be cut to allow air flow.
No worries mate ;) - I Wasn't picking your idea earlier , i just couldn't see it being advisable on the AU XR 6 an 8's, allthough im sure the info you left will come in handy for someone wanting to add this small mod to a Fairmont , cheers - all comments welcome . :

Old 27-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #48
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

(Wasnt me who suggested cutting it in hte first place) but anyways, yeah on a fairmont I would have to cut it, but on an XR6 or XR8 grill, you couldnt do it as it would be to visible, and you dont have a "Top" to your grills like the fairmont ones, only the actual grill and you would still get plenty of air above that to scoop up as well.

But yeah hopefully it may help someone else doing this mod.

I am deffinately gonna get off my fat *** and do this one now, especially after reading what you and others have written, and if it saves fuel, it can only be a good thing right.

Cheers, and good work with the mod, it has helped me, and i bet it will help others out to.
Old 27-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #49
OldManGhia

Just did this mod on my Forte wagon. Instead of a bit of aluminium I used the output paper tray off a dead Canon printer. Just the right length with a real nice curve in it. Used a hack-saw to get the width right, Pop riveted it to a galvinised angle then attached it to the car just below the intake with a couple of screws.

Just one question though, do you guys leave the bit of rubber strip on the leading edge of the bonnet or take it off? With the bonnet closed it must surely block the air flow...I've taken it off mine for now..
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #50
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Nice work ... have seen this on an NL Fairlane ... with open grille mod as well ... had the scoop made to sit across behind the grille (also had an SS Induction snorkel on).

It works if designed well ... look behind the new BMW grilles ... they do this scoop moulded from factory ... what we call an aftermarket mod .... BMW give it to you from factory. hee hee.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #51
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Ok , bit of an update , i added 2x extra 65mm intake pipes from the front of the airbox , the 1 pipe is about 1 ft long and the other a bit shorter , both pipes go to behind the openings in the grill behing the headlights , plents of air there (when driving !), allthough could get a bit warm if sitting there idling in traffic of a night with lights on gathering the air from behind passenger side lights ( right infront of the airbox ). Thought i'de try it as i had the stuff lying around anyway , and again it seems to off added even more of a slight fuel saving , seems to have alot more response compared to with just the scoop with the standard intake snorkle ( i got the 3 intakes going now ).. alot more free reving for sure, tacho climbs a tadd quicker when reving in nuetural/park ( not the kinda thing i go around doing , but was just for testing ) .. the induction noise also sounds a hell of alot better when planting the foot - got that nice hard suction sound , still got a bit more driving around to do with it before i make any final judgements on it , just a basic mod , ill post some pics soon.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #52
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
ill post some pics soon.
Great stuff mate, can't wait to see the pics, this could be a nice little addition to the exhaust setup I got today :evilsasmo
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #53
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

i have done the intake scoop thing on my car, havent really noticed any difference. But i did also see today cruising past the other way a Red AU XR Ute and noticed behind the grill a scoop aswell. So theres a few people starting to try this and running with it around now.

Cheers.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #54
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
i have done the intake scoop thing on my car, havent really noticed any difference. But i did also see today cruising past the other way a Red AU XR Ute and noticed behind the grill a scoop aswell. So theres a few people starting to try this and running with it around now.

Cheers.
I dunno if mine being the vct and fuel pig it was , but adding just the scoop alone proved itself to me fuel saving wise within the first few days (nothing much noticable performance wise though really! ) , even when giving it with a bit of throttle occasionally .BUT - Now since i have added the 2 extra 65mm intake pipes into the airbox from behind the lights too, i have definatelly noticed more throttle response , seems like its now way to easy to hit the speed limits without even pushing the car hard ( just purrs along ).. to sum it up - so far -with the second mod i wouldn't really say that i've noticed an even better fuel economy so far, allthough throttle response is alot better , and now can't help myself to 'giving it a bit' occasionally , which is resulting in me using a bit more fuel than when it did with just the scoop alone 'giving it a bit'. Definate noticable difference with the second mod performance wise from take off , being and Auto and no hi-stall convertor or anything (all stock) in my car i was lucky if i could fire the rear wheels up from take off , can get them firing up now np's ..lol , allthough now it seems faster at the bottom of the rev range now - i thinks its slowed down a bit more at the top of the rev range getting closer to redline . Overall imo the second mod isn't really a forced induction mod at all , its just getting a hell of alot more cooler air into the airbox and more of it allowing the engine to breath a little easier. Both mods combined have seemed to of worked well for what it has cost me so far ! ( $0 and a bit of my time ..lol ) , all worth it .. I can't promise anyone they are going to get results identicle to what im getting if you go ahead with a similar mod , just that i had read it worked on other cars , so i tried it on mine and i have had very good results so far too , great for cheap/free mods ;) . : :

Old 07-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #55
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

yeah probably would make a difference on mine as you have experienced, but mine has alot more problems at the moment that are sucking away the fuel, so its not exactly in optimal test conditions. When i get everything sorted and back to how it should be running (At the moment it goes like a laser with 400K on the clock and towing a 24ft caravan), when its all sorted i will test with and without to see what difference it makes. In the end, it can only help cant it, as with you extra pipes, they may not do much, but at the end of the day they must be doing something, and for $0, and for a little time it is deffinately worth it.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #56
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Top stuff man, I went to visit a mate who's working for an engineer now, he bent me up one of those one's that look like the SS air deflectors with some aluminum scrap they had lying around, looks blardy ИИИИ hot too for nothing, along with an old drill bit and some rivets, just working on positioning now ie( hard up to the left against the screw that holds the grill on, hard up to the right or leave a little space on either side and the length looks spot on too, the bottom lip sits between the first and second fin of grill. Gonna paint it mat-black so it looks like it belongs there but still waiting for the XR8 snorkel grrrrrrrrrr
Old 07-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #57
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Ok, i managed to get a few snaps , shocking quality sorry ( im actually using a $25 webcam/camera at the moment !..lol ) , gives you an idea anyway, as you can see ( sorta' ! ) i have added the 2x 65mm intake pipes into the front of the airbox - left pipe near the bottom and the right pipe about half an inch higher - only reason for the right pipe being a tadd higher was so the holes i cut out would not clash , side by side and the pipes would not of fit on the front of the airbox. Both pipes run very close/edge of the pipes toutching the edge of the backs of the plugs on the lights, allowing the centre of the pipes to be in line with the rim/opening in the front bar around the headlights.
I didn't bother opening the box as u know what to expect , 2 pipes sticking in about 1 cm extra inside the box (under the airfilter of course inline with the original inlet hole too sorta!).. all up 3 inlets going , the original with the scoop and the 2 extra CAI pipes.
i have also noted since adding the 2 extra intake pipes that my engine temperature now stays at the start of the N , it used to sit at the end of the N, so it seems to of cooled things down a bit somewhat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipes01.jpg (12.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg pipes02.jpg (11.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg pipes03.jpg (10.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg pipes05.jpg (12.9 KB, 59 views)

Old 07-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #58
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I guess the next thing i'll probably look at doing is installing a pod filter sealed inside the airbox. Seeing i now have 2 extra large 65mm cold air intakes i don't know if ill bother changing the original snorkle to a larger 1 , as i would rather it draw the air mainlly from my 2 extra CAI's , instead of drawing the air through the original snorkles over the hot radiator !... i could probably almost block the original intake snorkle off all together seeing i get so much airflow from these 2 extra pipes alone , allthough i will leave the original snorkle as it is for now . Maybe a bit of porting to come later and a few thou' off the head to raise the compression a bit , see what happens . The Pod filter is next though for sure.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #59
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Couldn't sleep lastnight , so i went and messed around in the garage with the car for a while. I ended up shifting the 2 extra intake pipes from sucking from behind the lights to the left of the lights behind the grill next to the scoop. I ended up folding the small black plastic panel back (remove 1 screw) that sits between the radiator and the lights, allowing me to run both pipes 'Just !' through the gap to behind the grill. I'll have to wait until its a bit lighter this morning before i go test it , i'm presuming im going to get a much better cooler faster flowing airflow where i have positioned them now. Being all black its pretty much all invisible behind the grill with the bonnet down , so no worried about seeing pipes and stuff everywhere ...I'll see how it goes later and post the results .I drew this up roughlly to give u an idea of the intake layout (a 30 second drawing job ! - a mess ..lol) , ill get some propper pics later when its lighter later on .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg mod.jpeg (8.0 KB, 66 views)

Old 09-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #60
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

So how'd it go mate????