Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #31
Cam
Stroking it...

Firstly, previously I have worked as a early childcare teacher for around 6 years, I have seen some of the food that parents allow children (even under the age of 4) to eat is beyond all comprehension. One case that pops to mind is a 5 year old girl who had salt and vinegar chips for breakfast with flat coke because her (unemployed) mother was "late". Late or not, you dont feed a child that rubbish, and theres no way you can blame the advertising of junk food for what is clearly just bad parenting. If you cant tell your child "No" and stick to it, don't bother having kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
As to wade in, flame suit engage.

I used to walk/ride to school like most of the other kids, anyone who was dropped off by their parents was a wuss.
I did not play computer games, watch videos or surf the net, I had to make do with football, cricket and riding my pushbike about.
If I wanted to go to the beach (12km) or the shops (23km) I had to ride my pushy not get dropped off or in a taxi or a bus.
Every morning, lunch and after school we all played sport while waiting for the bus to pick up the kids from the beach and then rode home.
I had to deliver newspapers on my pushy, mow lawns and stack stock all week to save up to be able to pig out on junk food (milkshake and a pie).
I am 48 years old and can still out run most of the 20-35 year olds on the pistol range.

The reason why the average kids BMI is going up is because the namby pamby society we have created are so scared that the kids will be raped and killed and then raped again and THEN get hurt and sue us if they go outside the house more than 10 metres and the parents are so busy trying to earn the money to pay for the mobile phone/ipod/designer clothes/broadband/PS3/Xbox/Wii etc that each kid MUST have to be accepted by all the other kids that they keep the kids in cotton wool and compensate by doing everthing for them.

So people in the 25-50 age group. IT IS OUR FAULT not theirs. And only we can fix it.
Exactly... Theres no point continuing this thread, as far as i am concerned, the answers are above
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 03:37 AM   #32
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

im 85kg and 6'3, use to be over 110kg when i was 18-21, than I did something.......got off my , i've still got a little more weight to lose(despite people telling me dont bother!) "i'm after a flat stomach, stiff " :P

i set my goals from 110kg+ to 90kg, now i set it from 90kg to a flat stomach ;)
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #33
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Have to agree with flappist. But unfortunately I am very protective of my kids and do not want harm to come them so therefore, I compensate in other ways. They play sports they are also encouraged to get outside when possible. I do the cooking in this household and its very rare to get takeway more than once a week and sometimes they do not get it.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #34
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I'm a teacher and I can tell you that 8/10 students in my Yr 8 Homeroom have prepackaged snacks every recess break. Almost none have a sanga or fresh fruit.

Mostly they eat chocolate, chips, biscuits. These kids may ask for certain food, but it's the parents who pay up.

At lunch time, it's a bit different in that there are often sangas and sometimes fruit. But you guessed it, followed by more chocolate, chips and biscuits. They often also have money to get something else, lollies etc from the caf.

GK
In high school all I ate was canteen food. Then when I left I started working in a Precast walling place. Believe me...If you want your kids to get healthy...Make them become concreters. My first day I was so stuffed I was falling asleep on the lunch table.

I'm unemployed now but I don't think I'll be losing my fitness any time soon in the construction industry.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #35
PoMmYwOG

i agree with the above, its up to the parents to say no to kids wanting the rubbish food...parents are being too lazy/too soft buying them the junk all the time...my best mate basically lived on macca's , he's like a twig but i can only imagine what his cholesterol would be like...all cos his parents are too soft on him and his bro...i thank my parents for keeping me away from that stuff...its only now that i go out alot that i have been havign the junk , which is gonna stop cos i can feel it, lost energy feel sluggish, need to get sum BP ultimate in my to clean the system out...lol

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #36
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Bp ultimate lol. Do you mean colon cleanse.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #37
PoMmYwOG

well BP ultimate works for my car, why not me...lol might give me a few more kw
na mate no probs in the exhaust deptlol...i meant to clean my blood out, as in some good vege/fruit juices and water etc...get rid of the extra fatty stuff and cholesterol etc from the foods...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #38
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

all during highschool i was skin and bone (80kg @ approx 180cm). Then came university when i was more in charge of what i ate and on came the kilos. It had nothing to do with advertising but everything to do with snacking and poor food choices.

The change from there came for me when a 'friend' at uni started calling me fat names. I was shocked as i hadn't gained large amounts of weight but it was very subtle and evenly spread and i was always used to being called skinny boy etc. I didn't even notice i had put on so much weight. I got to 95kg @ 182cm.

Since then i have stopped snacking, stuck to my 3 meals per day, ate healthily and from time to time in moderation eaten some junk food because i believe you can eat anything in moderation; "enough is as good as a feast!". I now weigh 79kg but the effects are still on me such as flab even though i now weigh less than i did in highschool (8 years ago).

I do however support the removal of fatty food advertising. Not for taking away ownership of the problem but because if it has any positive affect on obesity then it is a good thing.

T

Last edited by ThundaBird; 19-03-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Quicksand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #39
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I'm 25... 6'2"... and around the 140kg mark... born 10pound 4ounces and have always been a "big" boy...

Now... does anyone here think i look as heavy as i am?

Old 20-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #40
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I would have guessed about 120Kg Blueprint. I'm the same; 29, 6'2" and 125kg. You dont look nearly as big as my housemate and he's 6'1" and about 145kg. By the way, I love your furnishing skills. Makes it easy to vacuum though I guess

While I am fat and I dont deny it, I'm only about 15kg overweight, maybe 20kg. I have a large frame and do weight training (body building, not strength training) so even if I was thin I would still be well over 100kg.

ThundaBird; Uni is when I started losing weight. I got to my worst at 21, I was 127kg as compared to now, but to put that in context I was a 6XL at 21 where as I am a 3XL now, sometimes a XXL depending on the fit. From then on I started doing something about it. I have laxed a bit in the last couple of years though so now I have to push myself a bit harder to get where I want to go.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #41
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
I would have guessed about 120Kg Blueprint. I'm the same; 29, 6'2" and 125kg. You dont look nearly as big as my housemate and he's 6'1" and about 145kg. By the way, I love your furnishing skills. Makes it easy to vacuum though I guess
Cheers mate... that pic was taken after i finished packing everything up in my old place and then moved to Bathurst. :P
Old 21-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #42
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 16, 105KG and 178cm+ tall. I don't blame my parents (Though Dad seems to be Pizza happy, but thats beside the point), i'm just lazy. If i want to be fat and die early, thats my choise, not someone elses. Though school holidays have started, and im going to start doing weights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #43
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
I'm 25... 6'2"... and around the 140kg mark... born 10pound 4ounces and have always been a "big" boy...

na mate you look no where near 140.
Remember but muscle weighs twice the amount of fat.
correct me if im wrong,

Last edited by daniel_rossy; 21-03-2008 at 12:18 AM.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #44
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

i am 180cm tall and weigh about 70 and im 18 in a month and abit and i look like im 16.
my mate from school is taller than me and he has a concaved chest (his chest curves in not out because he is just skin and bones which looks funny mind you) and weighs about 55-60ish i think.
i have aten like mcdonalds once or twice a week for about 3 years because i work there (sometimes not eating it for a month then eating it once or twice a week) and i think i have stayed the same weight since i started and i have grown about 20cm. i think this is because it is very physically demanding job, which probally burns off what i eat..

Last edited by daniel_rossy; 21-03-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typoooo
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #45
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
I'm 16, 105KG and 178cm+ tall. I don't blame my parents (Though Dad seems to be Pizza happy, but thats beside the point), i'm just lazy. If i want to be fat and die early, thats my choise, not someone elses. Though school holidays have started, and im going to start doing weights.
. i bet i could beat you running over 2kms dude, and i dont run much. and i'm 39. now forward yourself to 39.
i can tell you now, i am quit fit for my age , but i feel 1/2 dead. up untill 28 yeras of age most people are super human. on a side note, people are really made to work very hard, up to extreme, if you like, either at work or exercise, you should be able to go all day everyday , on little food and water to stay fit thin and healthy.
what you dont seem to realise is that you might not die fat and young, you may just be tired unwell, lazy, have very ill health ( where you wish you were dead) and poor for 60 years.
i was running around a lake once i used to run around it 4 times a day, a couple of years ago, and i ran passed some fat kids about 10 years old, one of them said to the other, we should be running around this lake too, the other replied , are you kidding , i couldn't make 1/2 a lap around there. thats sad, because when i was 16 i could've ran around there 8 times in the same time as i now do 4. and i'm only average fitness, and have to watch what i eat and do. you dont want to be in a situation later mate, where your sitting in a chair and your body is throbbing to your pulse mate, or your legs hurt when you stand up, or your jabbing yourself 4 times a day, or all of these things together mate , trust me , i may sound harsh , but there is a lot behind a rash statement that you made in your post.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #46
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
i am 180cm tall and weigh about 70 and im 18 in a month and abit and i look like im 16.
my mate from school is taller than me and he has a concaved chest (his chest curves in not out because he is just skin and bones which looks funny mind you) and weighs about 55-60ish i think.
i have aten like mcdonalds once or twice a week for about 3 years because i work there (sometimes not eating it for a month then eating it once or twice a week) and i think i have stayed the same weight since i started and i have grown about 20cm. i think this is because it is very physically demanding job, which probally burns off what i eat..
When your young different people "fill out" at different times. I know of guys in there mid 20s who were skinny as but then put on weight. Your mate though sounds like hes a walking corpse. Get him eating.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #47
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Just on a side note here gtfpv, not everyones body is designed the same. Some are great at long distance naturally and some just aren't capable, even with training.

Now, I'm not the fittest person (actually I would say I'm definitely not fit) although I do weights training and cardio at the gym 4 times a week. Now I know I need to do about 5 times as much cardio as I do now but even then I will never be a long distance athelete. I just dont have the cardio stamina for it, even with more training. Just keep that in mind when you are comparing fitness levels across the populous.

The reaching 28 thing though is spot on!! I'm 29 and have been weight training for roughly 8 years as well as lost about 20kg. In all that time I have never experienced any lingering joint pain or mobility issues until this year. While I am stronger than ever and as fit as I have been in the last couple of years I really feel it after a long walk or big day on my feet. It's really surprising. It didnt just creep up; it hit me with a bang!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Internet and gaming consoles have replaced the Billy cart, footy, cricket bat/ball or pushy... add to that the amount of fast food that's far more accessible now and its easy to see where it begins.
Kids spend too much time in front of monitors, and parents choose the easy options at meal time, its their parents fault.

Old 22-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #49
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
. i bet i could beat you running over 2kms dude, and i dont run much. and i'm 39. now forward yourself to 39.
i can tell you now, i am quit fit for my age , but i feel 1/2 dead. up untill 28 yeras of age most people are super human. on a side note, people are really made to work very hard, up to extreme, if you like, either at work or exercise, you should be able to go all day everyday , on little food and water to stay fit thin and healthy.
what you dont seem to realise is that you might not die fat and young, you may just be tired unwell, lazy, have very ill health ( where you wish you were dead) and poor for 60 years.
i was running around a lake once i used to run around it 4 times a day, a couple of years ago, and i ran passed some fat kids about 10 years old, one of them said to the other, we should be running around this lake too, the other replied , are you kidding , i couldn't make 1/2 a lap around there. thats sad, because when i was 16 i could've ran around there 8 times in the same time as i now do 4. and i'm only average fitness, and have to watch what i eat and do. you dont want to be in a situation later mate, where your sitting in a chair and your body is throbbing to your pulse mate, or your legs hurt when you stand up, or your jabbing yourself 4 times a day, or all of these things together mate , trust me , i may sound harsh , but there is a lot behind a rash statement that you made in your post.
You may be able to beat me in 2km run at 39 years old, but i guarantee you i can wipe your *** all over the floor in most PC Games.

Jokes aside, i know where you are coming from. I'm making an effort to improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #50
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The easiest and most fun exercise to do is to get a boxing bag and belt the crapola out of it whilst sticking to the average RDI of fat, carbs, protein etc.

You get to have fun and drop some pounds (I dropped 2kg in one week) at the same time although it's more about anger management for me :

Mix up the routine with some kicks and a bit of jogging/sprints and you're all good! ;)

By the way a 20kg bag gets pretty light very quick as I find myself having to stop it from swinging, so might be an idea to get a heavier one :

I'm one of the most unfit people out there and it's not that hard!

Last edited by MITCHAY; 22-03-2008 at 10:18 PM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #51
gtfpv
GT

at least this thread has got people thinking. i went on holidays at xmas time , i had three weeks off went away, ate drank ate drank , and had an icecream every day. i piled on 6 kg in 3 weeks . i have lost 9kg in 2 months just from working long hours,which actually takes your mind off eating, even though you are burning up the calories, you dont snack. i dont advocate this , as it is unhealthy weight gain and loss. i'm just stateing that it is exercise more than eating that makes a differance.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #52
fpr_esp
351 xe s pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
being fat is fine nowdays. those fat kids will probably all end up with office jobs where you dont need to be fit. they might die at a young age but they get to eat all the mars bars they want
\

lmfao the reason kids are fat is because thier parents are the sad lazy good for nothings that dont do nothing to help thier kids be active, fat and lazy them selfs and dont give me any gripe about the kids having fat genes thats utter bs.

at the end of the day if the parents made thier kids do sports took the dog for walks anything active and didnt stuff thier lunch boxes full of crap it would cut obesity down by %80 IMO.
Old 23-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #53
fpr_esp
351 xe s pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT

that all depends where is your furniture was'nt broken when you sat on it jks noticed your house looks bare id say you look around 140.

im 6ft weigh 105 kilos mostly muscle though still a little tubby was allways skinny as a kid untill i turned 14 hit the choof then ate enough to feed an army for munchies, then beefed it on but i am planning on getting to 90 kilos i ride a pushie to work now and have lost 10 kilos in 2 months backed off the treats and only eat dinner. and i shall be buff and ready for teh ladies.
Old 26-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #54
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

gees iam obese iam 5 ft 11 and i weigh 115 kg so iam obese ! i eat a junk and i started to eat healthy well try too we have a family history of diabetes so i should cut the fat ! i happy to say i brought a bike to ride to work only 2 kms and i will be happy when the falcon isnt stitting in the sun , and waiting to see if the people who i work with will scratch my car like they did to other people car ! so iam happy that the car isnt stitting in the sun and going yuck ! anymore ! and i get 8 hours a day exercising that the dishwasher for eight hours a day !

Last edited by ieatsports_cars; 26-03-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #55
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am 6ft 8" and weighed 137kg at the start of this year and I must say I was feeling very unfit and out of shape - wether I looked it or not, and in general easily exhausted. So I decided to turn this around and joined a gym and now go 3-4 times a week as well as running and walking at other times and I'm down to 124kg now even though it doesn't sound like much of a loss, I feel much healthier and have more energy and people who werent aware of my new fitness regime have been making positive comments which helps to keep the cycle going and to keep me motivated. My aim is to be down to 115kg by June, which I think should be very achievable.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #56
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

well done i hope you do very well ! i am i same as you i fell that my pants are getting tighter and i know that is no good ! being a kitchen hand working late and early shifts you just dont get time becasue i feel tired all the time and i think weight a a big part of that !
Old 27-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #57
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Just on a side note here gtfpv, not everyones body is designed the same. Some are great at long distance naturally and some just aren't capable, even with training.
Too true. Different body types make for different sporting aptitudes. Whats more the BMI doesn't really take into acount these different body types. I am overweight according to the BMI. According to my doctor though, if I were to be a healthy weight according to the BMI, I would actually be underweight for my build. I'm 183cm tall and weigh 95kg for the record. If I were 85kg I woud look gaunt. I also should point out that I don't undertake any exercise at present,other than golf. I do have a physically active job though ( plumber). When I do exercise I actually put weight on!

I played a hell of a lot of sport as a kid/teen but was never able to just run all day like some of my mates. My endurance in other ways (riding a bike) was as good and better in most cases but I'm just not designed to run like some of my mates were.

Our body types were also quite different. I had a chest, shoulders, arms and legs that were bigger ( substantially in some cases) than these running guys with their matchstick arms, concave chests and scrawnny legs. To put it into perspective, I was built like a rugby player at 14-16 and they were built like middle distance runners. I was 10-15kg heavier than these guys. Not an ounce of fat on me, but I was put together differently.

They would always outrun me.

When it came time to play some type of contact sport ( british bulldogs was always a favorite) or something that favoured brawn ( wanna arm wrestle anyone?) over speed, the balance tipped well and truly in my favour though!

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 27-03-2008 at 12:18 AM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #58
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

that is weird how that works out with the bmi ! i have friend like that as well the doctor i go to say iam 20 kilos over weight and iam only 21 :-( as you made a good point every body is differnt if we were the same this would be a bloody boring world !