Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #31
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death351
Wish they'd build that drag strip rumoured to be built in the Lara/Avalon area
i heard its going ahead and should be completed by 2010
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #32
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Really? Do you know where roughly it's supposed to go? Most the land around the speedway is privately owned, so I guessed perhaps Lindsay Fox has sold/leased some of the land adjacent to the airport, given they'd be no noise issues there.

Some other group wants to build a F1-capable track as well. Drag + speedway+ circuit + dirt track + go-kart racing all in within a quick blat would be awesome!
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #33
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Isnt funny BOB always tries to claim he gets the racing off the street s at these prices no wonder its not working .Try helping the situation not hindering it BOB U C@@T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #34
JoesAu

i'll be finding out more shortly, the bloke at work knows some rep thats involved in it, there was suggestions that the Indy 300 was going to find a new home in AValon as well dont know how far that has gone, all i know is Victoria needs a decent drag strip this side because alot of people dont drive to calder cos they hate the place(it is f!** sh** ) and dont drive to heathcote cos its too far.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #35
FLUB378

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
That $500 did you hear that from an official source or just chat? Thats going to rule out a fair few Grp 3 and 4 racers if its true

Unfortunately first from a rumour then backed up from an official source. Admission as a spectator is pretty scary as well $130 for a 3 day pass, $48 for Sunday
FLUB378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Bob Jane probably needs the money to finance his legal fees to stop his gold digger ex wife taking everything.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #37
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
As soon as " ROB" Jane sees the lack of participants and spectators, the price will drop as it did last time. If you do the sums, 120 cars @ $65 = $7800 plus the fans on the very average spectator mounds equates to a tidy sum.
This is not where the money is made the money is made from the spectators and what they spend at the shops.
The previous $40 entry fee only cover each racers insurance...

What Calder Park have done is a disgrace how can they justify a $25 increase for a street Car and a $90 increase on a Comp car, many spectators go to watch the comp cars now they wont turn up and the humble person off the street, most of them being very young will be slugged an extra $5 entry as well. $25 for these kids is a lot of money..
Why would they go, I say don't go Friday nights and hit them where it hurts.

I wonder how the support would be if Heathcote Park run some Friday night test and tunes if the track was right I would go.

December 1st is AFF drag day at HPR click the link in my signature to sign up..

PS: I also ask if we can this thread to its topic, bagging the owner and Management of Calder Park with a personal attacks does not add anything to the threads discussion.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #38
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

It typical though, i have known some of the managers out there over the years and one very well and there train of thought is that our facility is 15 minutes from the CBD we can charge whatever we like, or you can travel 2 - 3 hours and pay $20 bucks less, your choice.

Another point is for someone like myself who really only goes there to do R & D on my cars is that this price increase might keep some people away hence more runs down the track. I like to get there at 5.30 and finish by 9.00pm so i don't have to sit through the b u l l s h i t burnout comp thingy and get home at a reasonable hour.

Your choices are Calder or Heathcote. Both have there good and bad points heathcote has better donuts.....
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #39
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

From a Calder Park PDF file, interesting reading on the bottom.
I dont think they could sustian 2 meetings a week one for comp cars the other for street cars.

Dear All,

This letter is to advise you that street drag racing entries will increase from $40 to $65 incl. GST. This increase
will be effective from and including Friday November 9th, 2007.
This price increase has returned to the price set in October 2005 when AMC at Calder Park introduced new
personal accident insurance for street drag racers, crews, officials, photographers and volunteers. The increase is a
result of the insurance costs involved. In spite of the fact that street drag racing is an extremely safe sport,
accidents can happen. As of 9th October 2007 al parties stated will be covered to and from Calder Park Raceway.
Details of the cover is outlined below:
Accident Only Cover
Cate2;Ory 1 Cate2;ory 2 All Drivers and Pit Crew Officials, Photographers and
Voluntary Workers as declared Benefits - Limit 156 weeks
$65,000 Death and Capital
Benefits $200 per week
$500 per week total Disablement -Limit
156 weeks Injury Assistance Benefit $200 per week incurred) Excess - $50
Excess - All benefits Nil Medical Expenses - $2,000
(Limited to 100% of expenses
incurred)
Excess - $50 Funeral Expenses $5,000

The Friday night Legal Off Street Drag Racing will soon only be for street cars and NOT for Comp Cars. This
will be due to the proposed build up of Legal Off Street Drag Racing at Calder for 2007 and 2008.
We are looking into introducing Comp Car racing on Saturday nights in early 2008, if there is substantial interest.
Any further queries please contact us on (03)9091 0800 or at amc@calderpark.com.au

Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #40
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

Hrmm, well the sat nights won't go ahead, because he won't get enough comp cars, you can see that a mile away.
Does that mean in the past the officials who worked there had no work cover insurance ? And are only now insured against injury ?
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #41
jcxr
Tribal Elder

I just got notification of cancellation of tonites meet, along with advising of new fees. Sent back SMS to delete me from their list. Dont call me , i"ll call you.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #42
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does calder still have a slippery start line ?
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #43
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie
does calder still have a slippery start line ?
Its ok for most street cars as long as your not using real street rubber..
If its prepared right, at the recent pro car shoot out they had some big bangers hooking up ok..
Heathcote you see the front wheels come up a lot, there start line is good.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #44
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just heard they are getting rid of the comp cars for friday nights?

If true then that makes $65 somewhat more attractive. The comp cars can take up too much time and have higher chance of spilling something on the track, "wasting" 45 mins whilst the clean up job is done.

If $65 buys me 10 or so runs then I can see the value. At the moment $40 buys us 4-5 runs (unless you rock up REAL early), which isn't that good value for money.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #45
XRCIST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I went the week before last and got 20 runs......with an hour break too!!!!
XRCIST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #46
SammyDen
Banned

$25 to watch.. BAH!
SammyDen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #47
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe try the smaller regional 1/8th mile tracks, plenty of runs to be had and most put up prize money too. The bulk of the racing is in the first 1/8th anyway, the last half your only steering.
Old 13-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #48
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Yep thats the way JD ... drum up some more cars for the Warrnambool drags ....
I keep telling a few of them that the real racing is in the first 60 and 660 .... if you improve your times there then of course you will pick it up at the end of the track.
Old 13-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #49
JoesAu

heard from the guy at work today, apparently the new drag strip will be between little river and Pt wilson, the latest by the government was that the track neeeded to have a highway within X amount of kM'S- A highway overpass or bridge for traffic back to melbourne/geelong etc... which Little river does have. its looking good at the moment.
Old 14-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #50
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Ok, I would have thought it closer to Avalon airport/the speedway etc, but perhaps they want to keep it within the greater Melbourne city limits, and not Geelong.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #51
sexc351
the chariot

up here in townsville its only 20 bucks for street meets and 40 for major events(not that we get any really)but it still beats the hell out of paying 65 bucks.who in there right mind has that sort of money to go racing the street machine(and no im not a teenager but 28)and i still cant afford it with kids house and the other bull .you guys that recon its a fair price either have deep pockets or no brains.either way i have neither but for that price i would rather race on the street and take my chances.because when you work it out you would probably get way more runs until you get caught and still come out cheaper(and i mean racing in secluded areas not built up where you could kill some one. if its you or the other guy well thats your risk)any ways whens the hike gunna stop?we all cant be rich and hey its us little guys that make the world go round.not you well of hob knobs.
just my 50 cent
catch ya
luke
Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #52
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexc351
up here in townsville its only 20 bucks for street meets and 40 for major events(not that we get any really)but it still beats the hell out of paying 65 bucks.who in there right mind has that sort of money to go racing the street machine(and no im not a teenager but 28)and i still cant afford it with kids house and the other bull .you guys that recon its a fair price either have deep pockets or no brains.either way i have neither but for that price i would rather race on the street and take my chances.because when you work it out you would probably get way more runs until you get caught and still come out cheaper(and i mean racing in secluded areas not built up where you could kill some one. if its you or the other guy well thats your risk)any ways whens the hike gunna stop?we all cant be rich and hey its us little guys that make the world go round.not you well of hob knobs.
just my 50 cent
catch ya
luke
Great attitude

NOT

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #53
FLUB378

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Great attitude

NOT
I agree. I'm surprised we even got him/her's 50 cents worth. Us "poor" people can only "give our 2 cents worth"LMFAO.
Regardless of what your budget is be thankful you have a Fu$kin track to race at. How bout those places that have nothing but a deserted road. Big thumbs up to everyone that supports their local track
FLUB378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #54
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wish i had a local track :(
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #55
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Its the Insurance and Resurfacing that caused the Price Rise .. If only the Government of Victoria Opened its Cavity and Spent some money on a Facility on the Easter Suburbs none of the Street Hooning / Boredom would occur ..

Leave it to Nanna and Poppa to Stop that though .. God Damn Whippersnappers ..

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #56
SpoolMan

What ever they think justified the increase, I was told on the weekend Calder Park was given $8 million for upgrades by the State Government.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #57
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unbelievable ^^^^

The motorplex down in Perth has just been ripped up, redone and resurfaced, price for racing is still the same, spectator entry to a street meet went up $1 ($15)and a silver entry to a drag meet has gone up $2 ($37)for a silver and its $3 more for a 2 day pass....

I can understand justifying a price increase but not at those rediculous amounts and most all, slapping the racers who are supposed to do it in a controlled and safe environment and not on the street.

And it is a crap attitude to think that street racing is cheaper in the long run. Seriously it might be hassle free until you get caught, but no one ever thinks anyone will get hurt. I'm no goody 2 shoes but seriously a few runs at the local track is enough to satisfy the urges for a while, at least its official, legal and good fun. They have prizes as an incentive and a timeslip never lies either.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #58
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So whats the turn out been like over the last 2 weeks?

It all comes down to value for money. You can pay $40 for 4 runs, or you can pay $65 for 10 runs. I'd rather then 2nd.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #59
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont see alot of timers on the back roads either. I think the money theyve been given is for the circuit racing V8`s etc as Sandown is finished. Lots of earth works done at Calder but all for viewing the circuit nothing to do with the drag strip.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #60
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

ITs too hard to get a Track down here .. Theres been Countless attempts to get Support but Government Does not want to Listen ..

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post