Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #31
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Port Adelaide copped a kiss from Brisbane tonight as well, fantastic
Just watched the highlights of the last quarter Doc....bloody hell...to kick 9.6 in the wet was amazing.

As for Barry Hall ..... takes me back to the early 80's and late 70's. I expect to wake up in the morning and see World of Sport with Uncle Doug giving away a basket of Ballentine goodies and then see two guys on bikes going hell for leather on rollers....

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #32
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
He sure didn't see it coming, right square in the jaw. Mike Tyson would be proud of that, especially being a fellow rock ape.
Nobody playing football today excepts somebody to just turn around and belt them, regardless of what they do...except maybe racism, which is rightfully non-existent on the sporting field now.

Even if it is Barry Hall, he's in good form due to recovering from injuries he carried last year. He shouldn't be doing this sort of thing when he should hurt the opposition with solid performances, rather than the biff, which only earns you suspension, a reputation for being a thug, and disrespect from players and fans alike.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #33
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 8888
Just watched the highlights of the last quarter Doc....bloody hell...to kick 9.6 in the wet was amazing.

As for Barry Hall ..... takes me back to the early 80's and late 70's. I expect to wake up in the morning and see World of Sport with Uncle Doug giving away a basket of Ballentine goodies and then see two guys on bikes going hell for leather on rollers....
Ballantyne Chocolates...not bad aye? Wouldn't mind some right now.

Doug was a terror. He'd always pull out his lighter and light running sheets as people were reading off them, making a 1 minute segment turn into 20 seconds as the flames ate up whatever was written. He was a great bloke though, or so said Sandy Roberts.

You can thank Leigh Matthews for the changed attitude to the biff. In 1985 after he smashed 'Nifty' Neville Bruns' jaw with a cowardly hit, the (then) VFL had to respond to community attitudes and come down hard on thuggery.

Cameron Mooney learned the hard way in 2006.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #34
SubJimbo
Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Bring back the 1980s. When I say that, I mean before we had this over-corporatisation of the game, clash jumpers, and those little poofs in their ballet gear running around over-umpiring the game with stupid interpretations.
Back in the 1980s, a push in the back meant you shoved them in the back. Nowadays, you poke them with a fingernail, it's a free. Say, "Aww, come on" to the umpire and it's 50 metres.

Stuff it. Just replay Gary Ablett highlights every week and I'll be satisfied.

Couldnt have said it better myself.
SubJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #35
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 8888
Port Adelaide are soft pussies, no more to be said
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #36
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Barry Hall is the reason I started watching AFL.The missus Geez Louise loves him. Must say for two West Aussies, living in Melbourne and supporting Sydney it is a strange combo to say the least. But that "love tap" from Barry tonight was nothing but that. As Chopper would say...Harden the **** up!!

BACK TO THE BONE YARD

Last edited by Tha Jack; 13-04-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:24 AM   #37
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Would of been good if he was playing on Lynch at the time. He might of stayed upright and given something back. Ape vs ape.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #38
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

lol at number 39...
Old 13-04-2008, 02:38 AM   #39
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Laugh at this. Thought the hit was justified. Go Barry! Best footy I have seen in years. GO THE SWANS!

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #40
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD86
now i hope carlton don't beat collingwood tomorrow
This is what you really meant :
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #41
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Seem to be a few precious people in here, maybe they should go back to watching Soccer and other non contact sports that they can watch comfortably in their cardigans drinking their warm milk.
lol i totally agree

its funny that nobody has even mentioned what staker could has possibly said to make barry do what he did. maybe he was being racist or sledging halls family?? i just find it hard to believe it was all because he didnt get a free kick. hall has been victemised by the umpires time and time again when it came to giving out frees so i just dont think we have 100% f the story, not getting the free could have been the finally straw to make him snap?

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #42
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I think he was just shocked that someone finally threw a punch instead of acting like a bunch of fairies. Didn't take long for them to turn back into fairies though... a whole 3 seconds :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #43
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
lol at number 39...
yeah that was hunter lol, what a noob!!

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 13-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #44
rodderz

It's been a while since we seen a hit like that

As much as the AFL wants to clean the game up and set examples for the kids etc, aussie rules was based upon being a rough game. Back in the 80's from what I can remember intimidation factor was huge and there were big fellas to be feared and be wary of. The odd blue that happened on the field drew the crowd to its feet, now everyone gasps as the club will get a $50,000 fine and multiple reports for violent fairy slaps and finger pushes.

Reggie Ragan has the right motto- "bring back the biff"
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #45
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
It's been a while since we seen a hit like that

As much as the AFL wants to clean the game up and set examples for the kids etc, aussie rules was based upon being a rough game. Back in the 80's from what I can remember intimidation factor was huge and there were big fellas to be feared and be wary of. The odd blue that happened on the field drew the crowd to its feet, now everyone gasps as the club will get a $50,000 fine and multiple reports for violent fairy slaps and finger pushes.

Reggie Ragan has the right motto- "bring back the biff"
Agree 100%.

A little bit of Biff goes a LONG way to bringing in the crowds... Keeping everyone entertained.

Kids watching if they are brought up correctly by their parents should know right from wrong...... The AFL should allow a bit of 'slap and tickle'

What they should outlaw is defenders sitting in the jock straps of their man.... I mean give the guy some space...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #46
stera

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Nobody playing football today excepts somebody to just turn around and belt them, regardless of what they do...except maybe racism, which is rightfully non-existent on the sporting field now.

Even if it is Barry Hall, he's in good form due to recovering from injuries he carried last year. He shouldn't be doing this sort of thing when he should hurt the opposition with solid performances, rather than the biff, which only earns you suspension, a reputation for being a thug, and disrespect from players and fans alike.
I think this is a great summary!

If you recall a cpl weeks back, Weyman on Coon in Rugby League, http://youtube.com/watch?v=dgnXH-LLFWQ - Landed 6 weeks!

If Barry is so keen to throw them around, why is he so scared to jump back into the ring and face up to Willie Mason?

If you want to see some truely great knockouts, watch these two!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9TsO...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPbRs...eature=related
stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #47
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera
If Barry is so keen to throw them around, why is he so scared to jump back into the ring and face up to Willie Mason?
i dont think he is scared at all of jumping back in the ring, if fact i would be VERY serprised if he didnt after he finished his career as an AFL footballer, the reason he doesnt is because he is focusing (or atleast trying too) on his AFL atm.

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 13-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #48
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I thought I'd had a flashback to the 70's before football became corporatised and sanitised to suit the latte sipping metro community who sit in the corporate boxes at the footy while quaffing a wooded Chardonnay. About bloody time too.

Obviously he'll get rubbed out and probably for longer than necessary just to send a message to the rest of the players that such actions aren't a part of modern football in the AFL era. It goes with the loss of suburban football played in one eyed arenas and the gradual loss of hard men like all of the ones mentioned above (plus many more) and if you love a game that's played hard then you've only got a few years of watching left before all those players are gone.

Instead you'll be able to watch an arguably more skillful game, in a comfortable stadium and (assuming you aren't in a dry area) drink your plastic cup of $4 beer while eating your $6 gourmet pie with the added benefit at Telstra Dome of having the roof closed if the weather should prove inclement. You can also watch 80 free kicks handed out per game of which half will be for a touch in the back and the game will run for 120 minutes because of all the stoppages so you'll get a bit of extra value for your $28 ticket.

Maybe we should just ban any form of contact in the game. Do away with the ruck contest (it could be replaced by a coin toss), the contested mark (just give the mark to the man in front) and tackling (after all it causes most free kicks) and then if we also change the shape of the ball we could call it soccer.

I'm just getting too old and grumpy for this rubbish.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #49
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan

Kids watching if they are brought up correctly by their parents should know right from wrong...... The AFL should allow a bit of 'slap and tickle'
yup... the odd biff n barge in footy won't make kids grow up violent, rather their upbringing. That's not to say king hits should be allowed as it can lead to very bad injuries, but the emotion spilling over into a dust up was a great part of the game that stopped years ago. As after the said dust up, the game lifted to a higher level and was more entertaining to watch.

Next we will see boxing be a non contact sport and a knockout will be scored if you fake a great left uppercut to the bloke you're against in the ring :
Old 13-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #50
Silversurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
and instead of braking his wrist he should have had it slit!!!!!!!

My bad, just got caught up in the blood letting that all these people are putting across saying what he did to Staker was good for the game...

Hall is a brute and is a better fit in a zoo with an enclosure around him to keep the other apes safe from him.
totally agree, Halls is a thug thru and thru just like Lockett and Brown.

If you do not agree I could not care less. :
Silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #51
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

halll needs to take a leaf our jonathan brown's book. a few years ago brown was a thug who always got suspended. look at him now, argubly the best player in the afl.

i'm a port member and what I saw last night was pathetic by my team. you don't lose in the rain, 35 points up in the last quarter AT HOME! shame on you Port Adelaide!

hall will get 8 weeks imo
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #52
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I have to laugh after watching the 6 MILLION DOLLAR MAN!!@#$%^ footage at the start of the game, talking Hall up like a true hero of the game. Then he goes and smacks out a guy who wasn't even looking at him when he did it.

Barry Hall - idiot.

This isn't the 80's anymore people, Robert Palmer isn't simply irresistible.
Bob Hawke isn't our brave and pioneering Prime minister anymore and this:

Is certainly not cool to wear anymore.

Football, like everything else has changed. keep up or get left behind
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #53
debacle-racing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahaha, good punch though!!
debacle-racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #54
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol... That's the best thing I've seen on an AFL field ever! Love the hero that comes flying in to take on Barry Hall only to crap himself and fall flat on his backside!
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #55
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Am an avid Swans Supporter...correction...Barry Hall supporter. He is passionate about the game and it is good to see some old fashion biffo in the game! He is a great player and he tried to walk over at quarter time to apologise but was pounced on...sorry...one eyed Barry supporter here. He was right...everyone else was WRONG!!!
Geez Louise! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #56
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
I'm just getting too old and grumpy for this rubbish.
Russ
Clearly so! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #57
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Football, like everything else has changed. keep up or get left behind
What did you get for christmas last year, a pink manbag?
Old 13-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #58
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Just watching Footy Flashbacks on Ch 7. Now THAT was when footy was great to watch. Barassi and Walls....all the old players. I miss watching games with a bit of biff. No such thing as a push in the back...you push me in the back, I will just slip ya one in your ribs!

Too bad Barry broke his wrist but at least now if they suspend him for a few games (which they will) his wrist will heal nicely.
Old 13-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #59
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

His punch was gutless, everyone knows he could king hit him front on too, he had to do it when he wasnt looking....

I wouldn't be surprised if he was bi polar or a manic depressive.

He shoulda taken up that boxing contract, Look how far Tyson went while having brain explosions...

Hope he gets 6 weeks+.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #60
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If he gets less than 5 weeks the AFL are weak as !, i say throw the book at him!!